Voice of the Ancestors

Synopsis: Intrigued by her heritage, Winny takes a trip to Kenya to discover more about who she really is and where her family came from.

~*~CAST~*~
Winny Ajanlekoko:
Rahab Ajanlekoko: (mom)
John Ajanlekoko: (dad)
Leona Ajanlekoko: (grandma)
Abasi Ajanlekoko: (her cousin)
Baraka Ajanlekoko: (Abasi's husband)
Chagina Ajanlekoko: (another cousin, Abasi's daughter)
Jasiri Ajanlekoko: (Chagina's sister)
Claire Winters: (Winny's best friend)
Vittorio 'Victor' Valastro:
Nico Valastro: (Victor's pop)
Maria Valastro: (Victor's mom)
Cici Valastro: (Victor's little sister)



Scene 1—Setting Off to Kenya

Rahab: Winny, why this change of scenery so soon ?

Winny: (hugging her mom and dad, and her grandparents join in) Hey, guys ! Easy ! I need to breathe ! Mom, you shouldn't worry so much. I'm just curious about our heritage. I looked up our surname. It means 'Dog who chases the wolf'. How bad ass is that !

John: Pretty cool if you ask me. No wolf is going to want to mess with our clan !

Leona: I just wish you could've spent some time with us this summer.

Winny: I'm getting paid to do this. You forget, my study is anthropology. The ancient lore suggests we all came out of Africa, so, why not explore our roots closer ?

Claire: It's going to be so boring here without you. (takes her aside, whispers in her ear) What's Vittorio going to do while you're away, eh ?

Winny: Vittorio loves me. I know he's planning on proposing to me (pauses) someday. He just has to gather enough funds to do so.

Claire: He's a definite keeper. You're really lucky, Winny.

Winny: I guess I'm the poster child for 'love at first sight'. You'll find your guy someday, Claire.

Claire: (hugs her) You always know what to say to cheer me up. Just be careful, alright ?

Winny: Where is Vittorio anyway ? He said he'd be here to see me off.

Rahab: He was held over at work. He would've been here but he was held up at work.

Winny: Tell him when I get to Kenya, I'll Skype with him there. I understand that being CEO is rough, but he does a great job.

John: Yes, and he sure as salt loves you, Winnifred.

(They all hug and kiss her goodbye)

Winny: Easy, guys ! I will come back, just don't asphyxiate me ! (narrating) As soon as I arrived, the accommodations were more than I envisioned. I made myself at home in my hotel room and settled down for the evening.
(pops open laptop) Here we go. (types password) Aaaand we have wi-fi ! Hurray !
(sees if Vittorio is online)

Vittorio: Ciao, bella ! How is Kenya ?

Winny: Surprisingly accommodating. Very inviting. All the people have been so kind, generous and friendly.

Vittorio: That's probably because you have offered your kindness so freely, my dove.

Winny: Do you want to see the view from my room ?

Vittorio: Yes. I wish I could've gone with you. Work is worse than prison, but at least I'm helping the environment through it.

Winny; (gets up and shows him the view from the window) I know all you can see are the stars, but isn't it breathtaking ?

Vittorio: Magnifico ! You must take plenty of pictures !

Winny: I plan on it, tesoro mio. (blows him a kiss and he catches it)

Vittorio: You must be exhausted. Rest up and we'll talk more tomorrow. Te amo.

Winny: Te amo ! Ciao, bello.

Vittorio: Ciao, bella.

(Winny shuts her laptop and yawns, placing it on her nightstand and settling down to go to sleep. The next day, she awakes fully recharged and ready to explore. A traditional African piece plays while she is taking photos and enjoying the wild animals.)

Abasi: Ah ! You must be the woman I'm supposed to meet ! I'm Abasi, your cousin.
(he gives her an unexpected hug)

Winny: Yes, Ancestry told me all about your tribe. I just didn't know how far back the tribe expanded.

Baraka: The Anjenlekokos have been around when societies were first forming. Surnames weren't really formal. People lived together not because they wished to but out of survival. We were always friendly. Of course, our tribe didn't start expanding until the slave trade.

Chagina: It was a dark period for us but had there been no slave trade, you wouldn't be here. So there is that blessing. What I don't understand is how so many blacks hold on to that past and lord it over others. The past is past and gone.

Jaziri: Well said,Gina. We're all so happy you could come, Winny ! (they lead her to their home, which is modest but lovely.) I'm Jaziri ! This is Chagina, my elder sister. You've met Baraka, my dad and Abasi, my mom.

Winny: You have quite the large family.

Baraka: Coming from an agricultural community, it only makes sense we would have this large of a family to farm the land. We live modestly, but farming has put both Chagina and Jaziri through school. Come, you must be tired from all that walking.

Winny: No, but I am a little thirsty.

Abasi: We have soda, wine, beer, water, tea, milk, fruit punch, and lemonade.

Winny: Water will be fine. (entranced by their house) Do you help others with the bounty you have ?

Abasi: Yes ! Our farm provides work for many others, even for those who live less modestly than us.

Baraka: We try to give aid to the less fortunate. Not everyone in Kenya is so well off as we. We're probably known as 'upper middle class' here.

Winny: (Taking notes) I'm going to see how you do your job tomorrow. I plan on participating, but don't work me too hard.

Abasi: We won't, but you have to remember we start work early. Set your alarm for 4:00 am.

Winny: (shocked) So early ?

Jaziri: We take a nap in the middle of the day and it more than makes up for it.

Winny: (narrating) I had no idea what I had agreed to, but the experience itself was more than anything I could've learned in any of my anthropological tomes. By the time I came home from all that arduous manual labor, I felt I had lost 10 pounds, but I couldn't have been happier helping my family and learning what made us so strong over the years.

(scene fade)

Scene 2—Preparing to Depart

Baraka: (at the tarmac) Seems like you just arrived here, and now you're leaving !

Jaziri: At least she got to try my famous date pudding.

Winny: And the foolproof recipe.

Gina: It needn't be foolproof, Winny ! You're the most unbelievable baker and cook I know. Vittorio will be lucky to have you when he finally does ask for your hand, girl.

Winny: From the way he's talking, I'm thinking it's soon. I may be no Hercule Piroit but I can deduce amongst the best of them.

Abasi: Please, come again soon. Kenya's doors, well, plains, are always open !

Baraka: Yes, yes ! Bring Vittorio ! We'll try to give you privacy. (wriggles eyebrows lasciviously)

Abasi: Baraka, you devil !

Winny: (laughing) I'm going to miss you all, and the animals too. Keep up the excellent work. I'm taking this business idea back with me to the States. It'll help so many people get on their feet.

Abasi: That's our Winny. Ever ingenious, ever innovative.

Gina: Godspeed, darling. If you ever need a mix CD of good African music, call me up, I'll hook you up !

Winny: Sure thing, Gina. (She hugs everyone goodbye. An upbeat African song plays in the background and we see a red line from Kenya with a plane superimposed atop it, scene shift to her family waiting for her, but Vittorio captures her in his arms, kissing her all over.)

Winny: Talk about a grand welcome. With all that kissing, you'd think I was gone for a month.

Vittorio: It felt like it to me, amore. I know it felt like a month to me. I know this may not be the most romantic place to ask you, but (kneels down) will you marry me ?

Cici: Ha, I knew it !

Claire: You and I both did, but I called it Cici.

Cici: Touche, Claire.

Winny: (takes his hands) I had a feeling myself, Vittorio. Of course, estupido !
(they kiss and he places the absolutely spellbinding ring .)

Nico: That's my boy !

Maria: Welcome to the Valastro family !

Winny: (narrating) The adventure of my life was just beginning. No sooner had I gotten married that I returned to Kenya and introduced Vittorio to his extended family. He felt right at home among the flora and fauna there. We went on safari and savored a tour of the Ivory Coast. We scoped out the Canaries during our honeymoon and returned home to another boisterous family reunion. Of course now, I was plus one, baby on board ! Vittorio was beside himself and couldn't wait to welcome the little one into the world. We decided to keep the sex of the baby a secret until he or she arrived. Before long, he came, quite the set of lungs on him too. As soon as he got held by any of us though, he began to calm down. We named him Nico John after both our parents. Both sides were over the moon with that decision. We took some time off to bond with little Nico. My book, Voice of the Ancestors became a 1 best seller not long after Nico had been born.
'With all the funds we've made, we can put Nico through college !', Vittorio boasted. We were so elated, but I planned on writing more books, ones about cooking in the future. Vittorio too, chipped in with a Valastro cook book that literally sold like hotcakes. We still traveled and marveled at Nico's experiences. Claire took the role of godmother, as did Cici. Both had become doting au paires and felt rather blessed by the whole thing. Africa still holds a strong tie to my heart. Whenever I hear the ancient melodies, I sing, dance and clap along. Nico knows this well too, he's got rhythm and soul for someone so young. I'm pleased to see that the tradition will be carried on by him. As I close my diary for another day, I add yet another photo of Vittorio, myself and Nico baking together. I still have flour in my hair, but I could care less !

(Marimba music plays in the background as a slideshow of Vittorio, Winny and Nico's adventures are showcased. We see Claire and Cici playing with him too, having a blast. The whole family seems to be spoiling him. There is also a photo album of the Ajanlekokos in Kenya, going about their typical duties. Those less fortunate are beginning to make a comeback in the world and becoming more independent. She even takes the model and begins using it in the US. Others are inspired and begin implementing it in their neighborhoods. 'When we give to others freely, our blessings are freely multiplied'. Is the last phrase shown on screen. My ultimate gratitude goes to everyone who supported me and knocked some sense back into me in my lowest moments. I wouldn't be here now it if weren't for your friendship. Thank God for you ! )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers