Spirit World

Synopsis: Raven has known from youth that there is a realm beyond this one and her elders have been speaking to her through the elements of nature. She finds it is her destiny to have this power as well and connect people with those who have gone beyond.

~*~CAST~*~
Raven Redfern:
Juniper Redfern: (her little sister)
Bear Redfern: (her dad)
Sage Redfern: (her mom)
Clover Redfern: (her grandmother)
Wind Redfern: (her grandfather)
Ginger Evans: (her best friend)
Geneva Evans: (her mom)
George Evans: (her father)
Geoffrey Evans: (grandpa)
Gigi Evans: (deceased grandma)
Tobias Greenleaf: (a friend of the family, long since passed)
Muriel Greenleaf: (Tobias' wife, also long since passed)
Drake Greenleaf: (their only son)
Christina Greenleaf: (his wife)
Quincy Greenleaf: (his son)


Scene 1—Unique From the Start
(We see Raven coming home from school followed by her best friend Ginger, and a few other friends. For the most part, she is a loner who keeps to herself. Most individuals find her intimidating and 'spooky' when in fact, she is the sweetest teenager in the neighborhood.)
Juniper: (hugging her sister heartily) Raven ! How was school ?
Raven: (shakes head, clearly filled with ennui) Boring as usual. I finished my homework so I can work in the homeless shelter over the weekend.
Juniper: I wanted to ask you. What's it like ?
Raven: What do you mean, June ?
Juniper: Talking to the departed. Is it scary ?
Raven: No. They just want to communicate with their loved ones on this side of the veil. There are people like me that can bridge the gap. I don't mind, but every so often, I'll come upon a rogue spirit that either doesn't know they are dead or is malicious. I carry sage just in case, to ward them off.
Juniper: Smart thinking. People think I'm nuts just because I have salt, iron and sage always at the ready. They don't know our family exorcises too. It's just something we've done for eons. It's not the least bit odd. (inhaling the air) Ooo, something smells scrumptious.
Clover: I've made dinner for the evening.
(she draws her grandchildren close, hugging them affectionately)
Raven: What's the occasion ?
Clover: No occasion, really, my treasures.
(Mom and dad are at the table, waiting on their daughters, grandpa is helping grandma get everything ready. Raven and Juniper hug everyone and get ready to sit down and enjoy a large meal.)
Sage: You really know how to spoil us, Mom.
Clover: Aw, shucks. You two needed a break. What with summer vacation coming up, you and Bear need some time to prepare.
Wind: (through gritted teeth) Clover, don't ruin it !
Clover: Wind, I didn't say anything...yet.
Raven: Are we going to Disney World ?
Wind: We've been pulling together all our funds from the orchard this year.
Clover: In other words, yes.
Raven: (narrating) Ever since I was 7 I had wanted to travel to Disney World, but my family had never been able to afford it. Times were rough but the farm kept us fed, clothed and sheltered. Although I was aware this trip was one June and I would never forget, I realized that it would transform my young life forever.
(Scene shift)
Scene 2—Beach Life, Then Disney World
(We hear 'Catch a Wave' playing in the background while Raven, Juniper and Clover are out in the ocean.)
Juniper: Go, granny go !
Clover: (makes a hang loose sign) Catch ya on the shore.
Wind: That's my wife. A bit of a crazy woman, but that's the reason I married her.
Bear: I think we all inherited a bit of insanity. Part of what makes us great.
Drake: (walking toward Raven) I don't know why, but something told me to talk to you.
Raven: Do you want to talk to your parents ?
Drake: How...How could you know that ? (curious) Are you psychic ?
Raven: Some like to think I am. I suppose in a certain respect that's true.
Christina: Drake, I had a dream about this very thing.
Quincy: Me too, mom. I wonder if she's the real McCoy.
Raven: I guess that would be for you to decide. Come to the beach house later tonight and I'll connect you to your departed loved ones. I'm Raven Redfern, by the way ! (offers her hand with a massive, contagious grin) See you tonight, ok ?
(She walks away, singing 'Cake By the Ocean')
Christina: Sure thing, Raven !
Quincy: I feel we can trust her. She seems so warm, friendly and in tune with the Universe.
Drake: I got that vibe too. She's definitely older than what her clothing suggests she is.
(Quick scene shift to the beach house, under the stars. A dinner has been prepared and the Greenleafs weren't expecting to be fed.)
Christina: Oh, you shouldn't have. You barely know us.
Drake: We wouldn't want to impose or siphon your time.
Bear: You're not. Raven invited you.
Juniper: I'm observing. I'd like to see how big sis does her stuff !
Raven: (lighting sage, candles, chanting in an ancient Native American dialect and getting comfortable in a yoga pose) Come, spirits make yourselves known to these seekers.
Tobias/Muriel: We're here.
Quincy: (Shivers) It just got really chilly all of a sudden.
Wind: That means your parents are here, child.
Quincy: Radical.
Raven: What questions do you want to ask them ?
Drake: (sighs, trying not to get too emotional) Why we couldn't have been there when you were both taken from us.
Christina: (holds his hand) It's alright.
Muriel: Cancer is a funny thing. We didn't want you to see the horrors of the disease. Death took us quickly, so there was no pain.
Christina: Were you afraid ?
Toby: No. Muriel and I were together. We got to see Quincy before the disease progressed too far. Besides, here in paradise, we see his progress.
Quincy: Is it true that you come and visit us ? If so, what can we look for to be sure ?
Raven: Things turned at 90 degree angles, pennies, other symbols that only you, Toby and Muriel would've been privy to.
Drake: (Trying to keep himself from crying) Do you forgive us for not being there in your hour of greatest need ?
Toby: Oh, son. You know I do. You have to forgive yourself. The past is dust in the wind. Learn to let it fly away and no longer cloud your heart.
Muriel: Yes, Focus on happier times. Looks where you are now. Tomorrow, you're heading to the happiest place on earth. We're going with you in spirit. Look for us in the Haunted Mansion. We're going to make a special appearance. Keep your eyes peeled ! (She giggles gaily)
(They begin to fade)
Raven: Hmmm, that's the last I can sense of them here.
Quincy: Yeah, I can tell. It's no longer freezing outside and my breath isn't condensing. How weird, but how COOL.
Raven: Please don't tell anyone else.
Quincy: I won't.
Raven: (narrating) Remember how I said this trip was about to flip my world into a loop ? Need I say more. By the next day, the whole family was at Disney World and we were having a blast until other people wanted me to reunite them with their families. Quincy had gotten the word out. There was nowhere I could go without people prodding me and bugging me. It almost cost me my friendship.
(Scene shift from a seemingly 'happy' vacation to Raven going home, back to school, playing in the playground, surrounded by people, even her best friend.)
Scene 3—I Never Asked For This Dumb Power, Anyway !
Ginger: Hey, Raven ! I was just curious as if you could get me in touch with my Grandma Gigi.
Raven: (grumbling, finally losing her cool) You know what, no. I'm tired of this. So I have an ability. So what ? Before we'd hang out because you liked my taste in music or my love of classic cars and films. Now, you're just like everyone else.
Ginger: No, I. Hey...Wait ! Stop ! Where are you going !
Raven: Leave me alone, Ginger. (loudly to everyone) I'm not here to be your personal consultant to the deceased ! You'd be surprised if you just opened up and talked to your loved ones how clear the signs they send you are ! Arrrrghhh ! Leave me be ! (runs away, in a huff. The other kids act unconcerned and go back to whatever it is they were doing before, like playing checkers, chess, board games, D&D or just playing as children often do.)
Ginger: Wait. Raven ! Please. Stop !
Raven: (a little brusquely) What !
Ginger: (ashamed) Alright, so I got greedy. Everyone was so taken with your talent they just wanted a glimpse of what you must see daily. I suppose something like that can be a burden as well.
Raven: There are times the dark spirits will come, but I don't allow them in. Demons are funny things, but they hate purifying agents like sage and salt. I guard myself against any dark entities using these tools my ancestors gave me.
(Ginger hugs her and strokes her hair)
Ginger: Forgive me. I never meant to follow the crowd.
Raven: You're my friend. Some of those guys are just pretending to be my friend. I know the difference.
Ginger: I was afraid that our friendship was in jeopardy.
Raven: Never. Something so precious has no value here or any other plane. It is infinite, unconditional.
Ginger: (relieved) Fabulous. That's what I hoped ! Hey, I was wondering if you would come over this weekend.
Raven: Does anyone else know ?
Ginger: Just Juniper. That is, if you want her to tag along.
Raven: Why not ? June's pretty cool, even if she is a younger sister.
Ginger: Keen beans ! This weekend, you, June, myself, all under the stars.
Be there or be square !
Raven: Can do, boo.
(They hug again, scene shift)
Scene 4—The Sleepover
Clover: Have a tremendous night !
Wind: Don't eat too many sweets.
Sage: Don't watch any scary movies !
Raven: (rolls eyes) Mom, I can handle scary movies. I'm a teenager. Life is scary !
Bear: She's got your number there, Sage.
Sage: Oh, stifle Bear.
(They speed off)
(Raven waves farewell to her parents. Ginger waves a flashlight over in a tent she's set up hours before.)
Ginger: Come on, Raven !
Raven: When you prepare, you really go all out. How long has this been set up ?
Ginger: Setting up a tent's nothing. You forget I spent many years as a girl scout. The tent badge was one of my first scores.
Raven: Yes, that and knot tying, right ?
Ginger: You know me so well. I had supervision setting up the fire for ghost stories and smores later. It's about to get dark, so we're all sharing dinner over a roaring flame.
Raven: That brings back memories.
Ginger: I bet. (inhales) Smells like sloppy joes, burgers and turkey dogs.
(rushes toward the bonfire)
Geneva: Hi, Raven. Welcome to our feast !
George: I even made a vegetable stew if meat isn't to your liking.
Raven: (chucking) The Redfern family isn't vegetarian, but the stew sounds delightful as well. I'll take a bit of everything.
(It gets a little chilly.) Did it just get a little cold ?
Ginger: I just noticed that. Did you call for anyone ?
Raven: No, I didn't even do a chant...How strange. Someone definitely wants to make herself known.
Geneva: How can you tell it's a 'she' ?
Raven: Feminine energy.
Gigi: The fire was all the invitation I needed.
Geneva/George: Mom ?
Ginger: But...I thought...
Gigi: What Raven said is true. Besides, I just wanted to see how everyone was carrying on, especially my special granddaughter.
Geneva: Glad you could join us.
George: So nice to have your company.
Gigi: Oh, you always do. Just call and I'll be there.
Ginger: What's it like ?
Gigi: Oh, heaven ? Exactly what the name entails. Not at all what picture books depict it, either. It is beyond your wildest imaginations. Come to think of it, your grandfather, Greg is calling me back.
Ginger: So soon ?
(She hugs her granddaughter)
Gigi: Remember what I said, doll.
Ginger: I'll never forget.
(Gigi returns to heaven, dissolving into light, glitter and vapor. The air is no longer chilly as it once was.)
Ginger: You were right, Raven.
Raven: It just took a bit more observation and openness on your part. (narrating) So, we dug in, jubilant and jovial, eating to our hearts' content. The evening finished with dreadful ghost stories and scrumptious smores. Ginger and I spent the remainder of the evening under stars talking about adventures to come and what we looked forward to beyond our junior high days. We didn't really think too much on the future. It seemed that my talent was popular for a time but once I had opened people to the possibility that they could talk to their own ancestors without a mediator or emissary such as myself, I shifted to my usual status. I didn't mind, and actually I preferred it better that way. Juniper soon learned to develop her own ability, but she became a psychic. Neither one of us knew what we would use our talents for. All we cared about was passing the next test and blazing our own trail. Long after childhood fades, the memories remain. I look back in fondness and still maintain my friendship with Ginger. She's become quite the girl scout leader. She also tends to animals and supports environmental causes. She's not one of those crazy tree hugging types off to chain herself to an endangered conifer of some sort. She's more level-headed than that. She married her junior high sweetheart, Maury Novich. I knew she would. Everyone was certain that it would happen sooner or later. I was her bridesmaid as was June. It was a sumptuous spring wedding, warm enough to be held outside amongst the nature Ginger held dear. Her grandmother and grandfather attended the wedding in spirit and I couldn't have been happier. I could sense their blessings upon the jovial couple. I am now using my ability to solve crimes as is my sister. We work in tandem and work keeps us busy but we couldn't be gladder. The more people we help, the more others who are skeptics realize the spirit world is not merely some 'made up' place but exists in a realm all its own with a set of rules and logic. I walk the fine line between the two, and it is a heady place. To be frank, however, this line I walk is better in the company of my sister. We may not completely understand everything, but we are inquisitive, avid students. This place is our classroom.

(We see the passage of time, our heroines growing and earning careers in the paranormal, even as paranormal investigators and forensic analysts, especially in connecting with the spiritual energy of previously owned objects. The two are remarkably happy with their careers. The text is pretty self-explanatory and you're left with a sense of purpose for everyone involved. Props go to my friends who have supported me in my paranormal journey. Some people find anything unexplained or unusual frightening. It's all because it's the unknown. No need to fear it if you can start to research it. Grab a book, watch some TV shows. There's plenty of information out there and still so much we don't know. I guess we won't really 'know' until we experience the afterlife ourselves. As my beloved Mary Copeland said, though. It's a transition. It is nothing to be afraid of.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers