Speaking Trees

(The Lhoni Tribe)

Synopsis: On the planet Ers, there exist elegant, tall, plantlike bipeds called the Lhoni. They ride on beasts of burden similar to horses but faster—creatures called Paka. The speaking trees are happy until a bellicose nation comes to usurp everything—The dreaded N'orhtzed. The group has been terrorizing planets and colonizing them too until the Lhoni stand up and take back what is rightfully theirs.


Chapter 1—Alla the Eldress

Ers is what you see before you. Behold all the greenery and water flowing freely. Our homes are crafted from natural resources and we live via photosynthesis. There are other living things amongst us, like our Paka, the animals we use to work. They are also loyal pets and highly intelligent. I am Alla. I suppose you could call me the High Elect of Ers, although I don't like the title much. I see everyone as equal. We all do our work and we all live fairly straight forward, simple lives. It is now time for us to close our day with evening vespers in song, giving thanks to the Sun, who nourishes us all.
'Great one, delightful sun
Giving us Light
Keeping us upright
We thank you once more
Let us share our love together
As we close our eyes tonight
Dreams to share
In dreams we take flight
Under the stars
Merry and bright.'
That's the song we lift every evening before we return to our homes. Yet, as I plant myself next to my beloved, Ollo, I sense something unfamiliar. There is a haze approaching. A darkness. A shadow I haven't felt in the many years Ers has been in existence. This force is a tribe I had only read of in Legend. I was sure they were only a myth, but as my mother Etta once said, 'Myths bear a semblance of truth'.

Once, long ago, according to the Lore, there was a fiercesome planet, mired in lava, fire, magma, hot coals and ash. The inhabitants of the planet were known as the N'orhtzed, the dreadful, vicious, N'or. They were so martial they fought among themselves. One would've thought the N'or killed each other but they were a conquering folk. Greed, insatiable, they lay claim to any planet they could find for minerals and sustenance since N'orthzed had none of its own. Centuries, millennia past and planets toppled like dominoes before them. Little did I know my premonition was about to become reality.

Chapter 2—Dvnd Attacks
Ollo and I both awoke before Lord Dvnd came to usurp our planet.
'The scrolls of prophecy were true.', he said, terrified, his emerald eyes quivering at the sight of oncoming warships. We Lhoni did not know how to fight, but we were no strangers to battle. The N'or weren't ones to bargain or come to consensus. Once they had landed with their Warlord at the helm, hell had broken loose.

Dvnd's attire was blazing in the laser light of a thousand spiked warships, all bigger than our 5 moons put together. He had stormed my castle and taken my saplings hostage but as slaves to do his dirty work. I hadn't been one to become angry but my saplings were my life and now they had been snatched from my limbs. I was vengeful, and so was Ollo.
'Come, come Royals and reclaim your saplings. Or are you too yellow bellied to stop us ?', he mocked. His tone was patronizing and foul. Clearly he was much more muscular than we were, but we didn't let this intimidate us. We weren't about to allow this hectorish force any sway on our planet.
'You wanted us to come when you called. Well, here we are.', I said. Ollo stood his ground beside me. Lhoni easily towered over the N'or but the patriarch was not impressed by our stature. He scoffed and bent his head back in a sap curdling cackle that bordered on sheer insanity. I had known Dvnd to be unstable, but I never knew the depths of his depravity.
'Such good little doggies ! Listening to the call of their master.', Dvnd pandered.
I called forth my Lhonians telepathically. They knew the herald to battle and didn't back down. My saplings had been kidnapped and were on their way to N'orthzed. Many of my fighters had been sent out to retrieve them. I couldn't fret over what they were feeling. As a mother, I already knew, but I could sense their strength and their hope. It was time for me to reclaim our planet.


Chapter 3—A Unified Effort
Dvnd never expected that all of us could grow into one giant organism.
'Wait. This isn't a fair fight !', he pleaded with us.
'You weren't making it fair the moment you invaded us with your weaponry and advanced technology. You must realize, technology isn't everything.', we said in a singular tone. We didn't even have to lift a finger to defeat our foe.
'What are you going to do to me ?', Dvnd squeaked. It had been the first time we had seen him begging, prostrate before us, completely vulnerable and weak. He had even become so scared he had wet himself out of fear we would crush him. Even though in the past, we had engaged in a war with other bellicose aliens similar to the N'ortzed, violence was not our way.
'We're giving you an ultimatum. Come again and we will flatten you. We are allowing you freedom to do as you wish now.', my husband and I said. Not everyone agreed to this plan and there was some upheaval in our formation. I reiterated this was the best possible formula for our success. Recalling our past history, the other Lhoni agreed after a few minutes of rumination had passed.
'I will never come here again. You are too strong for me. Here, have your pathetic saplings back. I can find other planets more than willing to bend to my will.', Dvnd said. As soon as my children had returned to our grove, Dvnd and his lot began to leave our space.

There was a war outside our planet amongst the N'or. They were angry that Dvnd had shown us mercy.
'No ! This is not our way. They were in our clutches ! We had their children but you let their unified effort frighten you ! You are no leader !', Dvdn's brother, Lrnd seethed. He stabbed him aboard his ship in front of his friends and family. He murdered his own brother in cold blood out of spite and opportunity. None of us could see the carnage taking place on Dvnd's ships but we did witness the explosions. Their anger was their ruin. That entire civilization fell in one day.

Chapter 4—Returning to Normalcy

Once the glow from the sky had dimmed, our moons had become visible once more. The constellations seemed to sparkle even brighter than before. All my seven children came to my side, relaying how terrified they had been.
'I will admit, mother dear, it was horrifying.', my youngest, Feela, admitted. She wasn't ruled by her fear, though. The constant reminder of togetherness resounding in their minds through our voices.
'We shan't ever let rage rule us. It only destroys.', my middle son, Velo, stated. They were all so wise, even at their young age. One day, when we expired, they would take the throne and have families of their own, but for now, we were rebuilding what had been torn apart.
We forgave the N'ortzed and their destruction. It only took a month to straighten everything out, but one could've never have believed a sacking had taken place. Our jewelry, our gold, all of our treasures, were returned to their rightful place. We had returned to our schooling and our lives and never stopped praying and praising to Our Sun.

Epilogue

You may wonder if the Lhoni have had visitors or visit others. Of course we do. We plan to make the Universe better, little by little. Someday our message will reach you, should you take it and use it for yourselves. We don't force. We only act in kindness and friendship. Peace is the best way and unity solves a multitude of issues. If you look for us through a telescope, you'll never find us. We are shrouded in novae and mystery. We do know of you though and consider you our confidantes. Yes, I do believe some day, we will meet. When we do, we will embrace and give gratitude for this auspicious moment. Until that time, we will live as examples of unconditional love.

~*~ Alla the Ers Eldress of the Lhoni Tribe

We are connected to everything we see. We are all part of the great circle of life.--Mufasa, Lion King

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers