Fast Track to Freedom

Synopsis: Julio Sanchez goes it alone by train to America for promises of a better life and discovers that not is all 'streets of gold and easy living'. However, he does meet friends and find love along the way, and she, Angela, helps Julio become a citizen.

~*~CAST~*~
Julio Sanchez:
Conchita Juarez: (Julio's new best friend)
Eduardo Rodriguez: (Julio's new best friend)
Angela Bloom:
Nadia Bloom: (Angie's mom)
Timothy 'Tim' Bloom: (Angie's dad)
June Bloom: (Angie's grandmother)
Jose Jimenez: (running gag, Julio's new bf)

'Home isn't where you live, it's where you love.'--Christmas in Homestead

Scene 1—Leaving Everything Behind
(We see a young man, confident and slightly cocky but petrified out of his mind with all his life's possessions in his suitcase.)

Julio: (narrating) Nothing could have prepared me for what awaited me in the Golden Land of Opportunity. I had heard stories from others who had made the trip by train to Cali. Both had been uplifting and frightening at the same time. Although I felt my whole body quivering the entire time, I knew Cali was where I was meant to be, and where I needed to go. I had nothing back home. My parents abandoned me when I was only 5, so I don't really recall them. They had been involved with drug cartels and I was shifted around the adoption system for years. Having become fed up with the whole process, I decided to pack my bags and make a run for the border before Trump decided to build the wall between Mexico and the States. California, here I come.

('California, Here I Come' plays in the background as he sneaks aboard the train without being spotted.)

Conchita: Making your way to the border, eh ? Welcome to the club. I can't wait to get to Silicon Valley. I plan on making a killing with my software development skills. Names Chonchita : What about you, juero ?

Julio: Julio.

Eduardo: I'm Ed. I'm traveling to become a famous photographer.

Jose: I'm Jose Jimenez. Me ? (laughs) I hear Colorado is where it's at, if you get my meaning. People tell me I have a green thumb.

Ed: Just so you're not getting high off your own supply, esse.

Jose: I know better, man ! I'll be seeing you guys around. (gives them his card) If you ever need a stash of hash, I'm your Jefe, pay me cash.

Chita: Jose, you're a real character.

Ed: Muchachos and muchacha, I can't wait. I'm so freakin' excited.

Julio: Yeah, hopefully that' s not just intuition telling us the federales are gonna search this train.

Jose: Don't be such a downer, man. Ain't no federales gonna come out here. We're in the clear.

Chita: We've got a poet on our hands.

Jose: It's a side job. I rap for a little extra cabbage. My running stage name is Mexican J.

Ed: Got a nice ring.

Chita: Why didn't you go with 'Slim J' or 'Dr. Green Thumb' ?

Jose: Though Slim J sounds dope, 'Green Thumb' would give my vocation away. Until I'm in Colorado, I gotta lay low, chica.

Chita: Fair enough.

('Do You Know The Way To San Jose ?' plays in the background. Dawn is breaking and Jose sees his exit.)

Scene 2—Still A Motley Crew if Ever There Was One

Jose: Gotta go, amigos. Adios ! (crosses self) Geronimo ! (makes a soft landing)
Hah ! Stuck it ! Wicked skills, right there, man ! BOOM !

Chita: Hey, if the weed business doesn't work out maybe you should think about gymnastics or rhythmic dance !

Jose: What do you take me for, some kinda fruit loop ? No way, man ! Though, I do enjoy Latin dance. But no WAY man. I prefer my partners the way I prefer my coffee, hot and Colombian, straight, too.

Ed: Buena suerte, Jose !

Chita: Yeah, go out there, Jose ! Keep us informed.

Jose: 10-4, amigos !

Julio: (narrating) Before the dawn blanketed the dewy ground, Jose had disappeared. We all had a feeling he had made it because we all received the same text message.

Ed: That little fox.

Chita: He's alright. Thank God.

Ed: I knew he would. That little guy's got pluck.

(The train keeps moving toward their destination. Each friend sees their stop and shakes hands to say farewell, but Conchita hugs them both.)

Chita: Adios, hermanos.

('Hasta Manana' plays in the background while they depart and Julio starts from the bottom up. 'Cuba Libre' plays as he finds himself moving from the streets to an affordable apartment, thanks to the help of a caring young woman named Angela.)

Scene 3—Milk of Human Kindness

Angela: Hey, I haven't seen you around here before. You must be new ! I'm Angela.
(offers her hand)
Julio: (embarrassed, he wipes his hand off before shaking hers) I'm Julio. (still a bit chagrined by his dirty appearance) Sorry, I only get to bathe in the local CVSes now and then. I actually landed a job at the local Best Buy. Apparently the owner was impressed by my work ethic and the fact I'm multilingual. Blame TV shows. Even in the orphanage, we watched American programs.

Angela: It's nice meeting you. I'm so glad to have a roommate. The apartment has tenants that come and go. They never stay, but hopefully you'll be an exception to that rule.

Julio: I'm thinking I will be.

('Como La Flor' plays in the background. The mood between the two crackles. It's inherent that they both fancy each other and their attraction is mutual.)

Angela: Hey, do you have a green card ?

Julio: Ay, carumba... No.

Angela: And still got hired. Man, you must be smooth. Either that or your accent's so good they didn't think you were a recent immigrant.

Julio: (chuckling) What can I say, back where I come from they call me 'Smoothie'.

Angela: We've got to get that changed, and fast. You could be in for a world of hurt if we don't.

(We hear 'California Loco' in the background as he goes through all the legal proceedings to become a citizen. It will just take time for him to be nationalized. Feeling like celebrating, Angela takes Julio to her favorite pizza joint and impresses him with her laser gun, ski ball, go cart, rock climbing and arcade skill.)

Julio: I had no idea you were such a Renaissance woman.

Angela: You know the adage, 'once a gamer always a gamer' ?
Julio: It's familiar. I just have never seen anyone whomp so much backside before.

Angela: How sweet. You must say that to all the gals.

Julio: Only to you. There was only one other woman on the train ride here, but you exceed and excel her beauty in every way.

Angela: (blushing) Goodness.

Julio: I realize we're going to be roommates, and I'm hoping we're friends too.

Angela: (titters) Definitely. We have a lot in common, especially in our taste in music.

Julio: I pray this isn't forward of me. Would you consider dating your roommate ?

Angela: There's nothing in the contract at Sunshine Grove that forbids it.

Julio: (almost euphoric) My prayers have been answered then. (he takes her hand gently and caresses it with his thumb and forefinger)

Angela: It's getting late. We should be heading back home.

Julio: It's such a glorious, perfect night though. How about a walk under the stars.

Angela: With you amigo, I'd never turn down such a terrific offer.

('Lily' plays in the background while the two walk the shores together, Julio leans his head over against Angela's shoulder. It's the start of a very tender romance and one that will only bloom in time to something even more wonderful.)

Scene 4—The Citizenship Induction

('A few months later' appears on screen)

Julio: (making himself look presentable) I don't know why I'm so anxious. I know all the answers by heart.

Angela: You're going to ace it, Julio. All your friends are citizens now. Speaking of which, how are they ?

Julio: Well, you've met Conchita. She's landed a record career. Her covers of Gloria Estevan's hits are better than the originals. Dear blessed Gloria, forgive me ! She's been too busy to come and visit us, though. Strangely enough, Ed works in a building not far from Best Buy. I see him taking photographs every so often. He and I hang out on the weekends.

Angela: Ed's hip. I'm hoping he starts his own photography studio, he's got the eye for it. I've seen his work, it's remarkable.

Julio: I know.

Angela: What about Jose ?

Julio: He's going to be coming to visit this weekend. He wanted to celebrate. He said he brought a special brownie batch.

Angela: That sounds dubious. Should we eat it ?

Julio: Angel-face, if we don't eat it, we're basically thumbing our nose at him.

Angela: That's rough. I wouldn't want to be considered rude. (looks at her watch) Come on, we have to go. You look muy guapo.

Julio: You, my angel-fish, look CALLIENTE.

Angela: (blushing) Julio !

Julio: What ? I speak truth. Allow me to speak my mind, there's no other woman that I have yet to find. One that is so elegant and fine, and happens to be mine, all mine.

Angela: That was extraordinary.

Julio: You're my muse. (kisses her)

(They stay locked like that for a moment.)

Angela: We're going to be late. Making out can wait.

Julio: (mock pout) Aw. But you know I prefer drinking in the wine that is you.

(And they're off, and 'Oye' plays in the background. Julio nails his exam, is sworn in and Angela kisses him again. Jose stands in the back, brazenly with his brownies wrapped in aluminum foil. Ed waits as well, wanting to congratulate him.)

(Back at the apartment)

Ed: I knew you could do it ! I wish Conchita could be here to see this, but she's currently on tour.

Jose: I keep her informed. We were the four musketeers back then. That bond, hermano, we never broke !

Ed: Here here ! Salute ! (eats a brownie)

(They are all laughing at the stupidest things now, singing 'I Like It Like That' as well as other karaoke songs and actually do well despite being baked out of their minds.)

Jose: Ok, dudes, remind me never to do that again. I'm still seeing colors and I swear there's a duplicate of me and woahhhh...my hand has multiplied. Man, I need to rest a bit.

Ed: Yeah, I think we all need to do that.

Julio: (narrating) Needless to say, we didn't try baked goods for a long time. Jose never made the mistake of making magic brownies ever again.

('Bailamos' plays in the background and the group makes their departure.)

Jose: Hey, I'll be seeing you guys around. Sorry I ate most of your chips.

Angela: No harm done. They would've gone straight to my thighs. (slaps him on the back) You did me a solid, bra.

Jose: Hey, esse, when you gonna marry this chica ? She's a keeper !

Julio: Jose ! (shushes him)

Angela: (turns dark red)

Ed: Oooh, Jefe. Now you're in trouble !

Julio: You guys, come on ! Don't put me on the spot like this. (inhales and exhales slowly, peacefully) I've been busy studying and as you see, it totally paid off, but now that I've become second in command only to the owner, I have enough money for this. It's been long enough and it's time to make it official. Just to make it even more memorable, Julio be a dear and turn on the CD player.

(The CD player plays 'Besame Mucho' which happens to be one of Angela's favorite songs.)

Julio: We've known each other for a while now. It seems like only yesterday you were welcoming me in to the apartment but I was wondering if we could take that next step together.

Angela: Yes ! Of course. (kisses him deeply)

Jose: You could've just done that earlier. The green card would've been an easy score, juero !

Ed: (hits him, HARD in the arm)

Jose: OW. Hey, man, that hurt ! It's not like I meant it !

Ed: I think we should call Conchita. She should know about this too. We're all family after all.

Julio: (narrating) She did. Before we knew it, I was standing before my Angel and living the American dream. Of course it wasn't all streets of gold, diamond encrusted homes and pearly gated communities. There had been hardships. We had been through the roughest part but smooth sailing was ahead.

(Scene shift to Julio and Angela at their wedding, dancing to 'Bailando', 'Feelin', 'Mas Que Nada', 'Brazil', 'Livin' La Vida Loca' and 'Por Amor'.)

Nadia: My little girl ! I'm so proud of you. I knew you met a stand up guy when you introduced me to Julio. Smart and good looking. You've got the whole package, darlin'.

Tim: Julio, we couldn't be happier that you're part of the Bloom posse.

June: Welcome to our clan !

(They all hug him)

Julio: (gasping) Ok, OK ! Bear hugs, though welcomed, are asphyxiating me !

June: Sorry, we're just so elated !

Tim: We tend to celebrate in big ways.

Nadia: Speaking of which, I hear a song that's putting fire in my heels. Tim, if you would.

Tim: Ah, Nadia, you know me too well, lemon drop.

(They dance to a salsa number and Julio takes the lead, but Angela dips him into a deep, searing kiss. There is a transition between their life at the reception and moving from their apartment to a bigger home. Julio gets a job as an IT consultant and is able to start his own company. Angela finds herself expectant and the two of them are seen lost in each others' eyes, looking more in love than they ever have.)

Julio: (narrating) A new chapter in our life was taking place. My friends had already told me becoming a parent changed everything but I didn't know how much validity that had until our daughter, Noelle, came into the world. She was named after a courtesy aunt Angela knew from a young age and who had cared for her and was like blood to the Bloom family even though she wasn't related to them. I sensed a special spirit about our daughter and marveled at how tiny she was, healthy, hale and hearty besides. Angela by my side, her head upon my heart, I knew whatever adventure we faced now was going to be the most epic we would ever embark upon.

(An update is given on Ed, Conchita and Jose. Jose is making an even more lucrative living as 'Mexican J', rapping and Djaying with a gorgeous mamacita on his arm. Ed is married with 4 children. Conchita is shown making her world tour, her family following her as she goes, singing with her. Bloopers are shown and behind the scenes sneak peaks appear, too. This goes out to all my immigrant friends. As a line in Hamilton so eloquently and elegantly says, 'immigrants, we get the job done.' In all respect though, we all are immigrants in many respect. To forget that is to forget where we came from, who we are and where we are going.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers