Belly Instinct

Synopsis: Myra Mae learns belly dance to break from her ordinary routine of crafts and macrimae. She also takes a trip to Egypt to learn more and falls in love there with a tour guide named Ali.

~*~CAST~*~
Myra Mae:
Ashley Mae: (her mom)
Horner Mae: (her dad)
Leonard Mae: (grandpa)
Debbie Mae: (grandma)
Melinda McDougal: (Myra's best friend)
Ali Dakarai: (Myra's love interest)
Mustafa Dakarai: (Ali's dad)
Bahiti Dakarai: (Ali's mom)
Ebio Dakarai: (Ali's sister)
Femi Muhammad: (Ali's dance instructor friend)


Scene 1—Change of Scenery

Ashley: Myra, where are you going ?
Horner: Yeah, what's with all the suitcases ?
Leonard: Didn't you know ? Myra's heading to Egypt !
Debbie: (getting concerned) Isn't it a little dangerous there ?
Ashley: Egyptians are our allies. The media is very skewed in how Arabic people are portrayed anymore. It's really sad. Most of the people I work with are Islamic. They're not terrorists. I hate how the media singles them out all due to the fact that the attacks that fateful day were tied to fundamentalists.
Horner: How come I'm always the last to know about these sorts of things !
Myra: Don't be so hard on yourself, pop. (hugs him) It's not like I'm going to be living there. This is a chance for me to get away, do something different with my life. Melinda gave me the suggestion.
Horner: I'm going to have a little chat with that girl.
Ashley: Horner, you're overreacting. Again.
Horner: (exhales a bit sharply, softening after seeming so prickly before) Ash, I can't help it. She's going out into heaven knows what.
Myra: Pop, I'm going to be fine. Melinda will be taking care of Feinstein while I'm away.
Ashley: I guess we're just being anxious for you. You seem so calm !
Myra: I'm more ready for this than I have been. Even more than my first interview or my first successful job.
(They all hug her goodbye, trying not to be too overly emotional.)
Horner: Enjoy yourself and send us photos !
Debbie: Bring us home some souvenirs !
Myra: You can count on me. I'll call you as soon as I am in Alexandria.
(Horner and Debbie wish her well and kiss her goodbye. Desert Rose plays in the background as her airplane makes its journey from her hometown to the mesmerizing sights that surround her and leave her dumbfounded.)

Scene 2—Wonders of the World

Myra: (yawns and stretches, puts sunscreen on and light clothing as well as a hat to prepare. Almost forgets her camera, but takes it with her before she leaves her hotel room) Can't forget you, now can we ?

(She is transported to her group and meets her tour guide.)

Ali: Merhaba. In my language, it means 'Hello'. My name's Ali, and I'll be your tour guide.

(Fatima plays in the background when Myra locks her gaze with his. She is utterly enraptured with him. He talks about the history of the pyramids and showcases the beauty of the library. He even talks about his own experience being a tour guide for so many years. He then turns the floor over to the eager travelers and near the end of the tour he turns his attention to Myra.)

Ali: First time to Egypt ?

Myra: I was that obvious ? (she laughs, and blushes, her eyes get lost in his)

Ali: (he laughs as well) So your name is Myra. That's a rather pretty and unique name, the first of its kind I've encountered.

Myra: Thank you, Ali. (her stomach grumbles) Gee, pardon me.

Ali: No pardon necessary. I know a lot of places that you would love.

Myra: I want the authentic experience.

Ali: And that you will have. (lends her his hand)

Myra: Isn't dating a tour goer against the rules ?

Ali: No. Besides, I can't seem to tear myself away. Why did you come to Egypt ?

Myra: It's always interested me. Plus I want to learn how to belly dance.

Ali: Oh, I know of a tremendous instructor. I'll be glad to introduce you. She is actually an old school friend of mine.

Myra: Any comrade of yours is one of mine.

Ali: You honor me greatly. Come, we mustn't tarry. Woudln't want your stomach to eat itself alive now would we ?

(They are treated to live dancers and exceptional food. Coincidentally, Femi is there.)

Ali: (goes up to hug him, quite expectantly) I didn't know you were going to be here tonight.

Myra: I have to say, your dancing is impressive.

Femi: It literally is all in the hips. Ali, who is this lovely creature ?

Ali: This is Myra.

Myra: Pleasure to make your acquaintance. I've already fallen in love with your country and the food is astonishing. I must have recipes to take home with me. I never thought Arabic food would be so savory !

Femi: I'm Femi. I'm sure Ali told you all about me.

Myra: Yes. You seem to be a delightful person. I'd like to learn belly dancing from you. From what I saw, you're going to be an excellent teacher.

Femi: (chuckling) Is she always this complimentary and polite ?

Ali: Yes. Yes, she is.

Femi: I tell you what, after your tour tomorrow, come by the studio. Ali will drive you if you ask him nicely.

Ali: I'll take her anywhere. (lightly kisses her hand)

Myra: (blushing) Oh, my. How gallant. And romantic.

Femi: It's getting late and the restaurant is closing for the evening.

Myra: You have been outstanding, Femi. I look forward to our lesson tomorrow. (shakes her hand)

Femi: Goodnight, both of you.

(They leave the restaurant. Ali notices a certain glow about Myra as he opens the door of his car and lets her in the passenger's side.)

Ali: How was everything ? To your liking ?

Myra: (huge smile) Beyond my expectations. This place is so mystifying. I am entranced.

Ali: Now you know how I feel. (places his hand atop her's and kisses her)

Myra: Holy mackerel. I've never been kissed like that before.

Ali: Oh, believe me. I'm going to spoil you rotten. You deserve it. (he drives her back to the hotel) I will see you in the morning, princess. (Kisses her again)

Myra: (holds on, melting in his embrace) Mmmm...Something to look forward to.
(flips open laptop) Come on, answer the phone. Hey, everyone ! Everyone ? What's going on ?

Melinda: I've got Feinstein duty. I had no idea your cat was going to be so clingy. He rarely leaves me alone.

Myra: Sorry... I should've mentioned that. I guess it slipped my mind.

Melinda: No worries. I love the company. He's such a poofy baby, full of unconditional love. Sleeps most of the time, thank Odin.

Leonard: You've got that sparkle in your eyes. Who's tickled your fancy ?

Myra: Grandpa, when you say it, it sounds dirty !

Debbie: I'm with Myra on this one, Leonard. Get your mind out of the gutter !

(They laugh for a moment)

Myra: If you must know, he's a tour guide.

Horner: (lowers head and face palms) Myra, why ? Why did you disregard everything I've taught you ? (getting upset)

Myra: Dad, I can't help it if I fell in love with him. The feeling is entirely mutual.

Ashley: I'm sorry, sweetie. I'm going to have to agree with your father on this one. You're unequally yoked. Do you know if he is Christian or not ?

Myra: (pauses momentarily) No, but I don't see why that would matter.

Horner: Just...don't get too involved with this man, honey. Please.

Debbie: We only want the best for you.

Myra: I know you do, but I don't think you understand me at all. I've met someone who is actually of a like mind.

Leonard: Have you thought any of this through yet ?

Myra: (a bit tentative) No, grandpa, I haven't. That doesn't mean I won't chat with him about it.

Horner: Are you sure you're not just some passing fling ? There are a lot of foreigners just looking for an easy ticket back into America.

Debbie: You haven't slept with him...Have you ?

Myra: (Extremely embarrassed) No, mom ! God ! I love him but I don't want to go that far with our relationship. That is, until I marry.

Horner: Good girl. Just be careful with this guy. I don't trust him.

Myra: I understand your concern for me. Don't worry, I'll talk to him about this. I have a feeling his heart is in the right place. I don't think Ali would lead me on.

Debbie: Just be sure, ok, lemon drop ?

Myra: I will. (she kisses them all goodnight and closes her laptop after saying goodbye)

(Scene fade)

Scene 3—A Chat Before Class

Ali: How are you today, beautiful ? You look splendid. (he notices her downcast expression)
Why the long face ?

Myra: I know we just met each other but my parents are worried about me.

Ali: They wouldn't be proper parents if they weren't.

Myra: You're not trying to win your way into my heart so you can become a citizen, are you ?

Ali: (laughs, nearly to the point of it hurting him) Absolutely not. What sort of hogwash is that ?

Myra: I didn't think that you were. Curious. Are you Islamic ?

Ali: No. I don't profess any faith, honestly. I'm spiritual. I think dogma weighs us down more than any other man made element on this planet.

Myra; (sigh of relief) Thank heaven. I didn't think you were. I think my heart knew you were honest, forthright and handsome from the inside out.

Ali: (holds her hand and kisses it) One way or another, love will find a way for us. So, don't worry. Here we are, Femi's studio !

Myra: It's so opulent and detailed. (takes photos)

Femi: (taking her hands) Welcome, Myra. Come in ! Come in !

Myra: I feel slightly overdressed.

Femi: Nonsense ! You look gorgeous, darling. Let's begin. Follow my lead.

(Ali watches, clapping joyously, unable to take his eyes off Myra. Spellbinding Egyptian music plays in the background and she finishes for the day. Ali happens to be standing next to the small fridge and Femi indicates it non-verbally with a head nod. He throws them both a bottle of water.)

Femi: Thank you. I'm dying to re-hydrate.

Myra: (equally grateful) Thank you, I'm parched, basbousa.

Femi: Impressive, you're really learning Arabic quickly.

Myra: (light blush) I have an excellent tutor.

Femi: (lightly nudges her in a knowing way) That you do, my dear. Thanks for coming, keep at it and you'll be an expert like me.

Myra: You really think so ?

Femi: I know so. You've definitely have the hips. (hugs her) Have a wonderful evening.

Ali: (takes her by the hand) I want you to meet someone.

Myra: Sounds serious !

Ali: It is. Don't worry, I've only told them good things about you, so any preoccupation should vanish like water on a hot desert day.

Myra: (a bit anxiously) That does nothing to alleviate my nerves though.

Ali: (pats her hand) You'll be fine. Trust me.

Myra: (narrating) It was all moving so fast, so much that it terrified me. My head was spinning and I could've sworn that I was going to black out. With Ali there right beside me, though, I knew everything would turn out just fine. I met his parents, Mustafa and Bahiti. His sister, Ebio was euphoric that Ali had found someone like myself.

Ebio: I always warned big brother, 'don't go into tourism, you'll never meet a woman that way'. I chided him, saying he's be married to his job. Then you go and prove me wrong. Allah bless you.

Myra: (chortling) I'm just happy we found each other. (narrating) Needless to say, I came home with a living, breathing souvenir. I had to wait for him to arrive and get himself settled. Ali adapted quickly even though he was homesick. Fortunately, we had Egyptian restaurants not far from home that I didn't even know of until I started searching for them. It always did my heart good to see Ali's eyes light up, but they did whenever I was near. He always said I was the cure to his homesickness because I became his new home. Ever the romantic, ever the bard.

Scene 4—Wedding Surprise

Melinda: (playing with her and tickling her) I always knew you'd be the one getting married before me ! I'm so glad you decided crafts and macrimae were too boring !

(They laugh)

Myra: I never saw myself in a wedding dress. I always thought I'd be teaching art class, painting commissions, sewing costumes for theatre troupes, but look at me now. I'm living my ultimate dream.

Melinda: So, Ali has a sister, right ? Pity. I was hoping that maybe he'd have a brother.

Myra: Mel, don't worry. You're only what, 26 ? You've got your whole life ahead of you. I'm in my 30s. It's time for me to settle down, have a family. Besides, there are so many escapades you haven't even embarked upon.

Melinda: (encouraged) You're absolutely correct, my dear ! (She kisses her friend on the cheek) You look beautiful !

Myra: I feel like a princess.

Melinda: (hugs her from behind)

('Jesu Joy of Men's Desiring Plays' and her father is waiting for her, tears brimming in his eyes. Then a group of Ali's friends sing 'For Always', including Ebio. Belly dancers dance to electric, seductive but common Arabic music, much to the delight of the congregation.)

Leonard: However did you find all these belly dancers ?

Myra: Ebio and Femi gave me numbers of ladies they knew from Cairo and they all flew here for the occasion. They are close friends and they wanted to bless my big day. Wasn't that awfully kind of them ?

Debbie: They're rather generous. We couldn't be more joyous for you, my doll-baby.

Myra: I'm glad. You know it was no trouble at all for Ali, either. It's like it was destined. He quickly got a job as a dousant at the local museum, mainly in Egyptian studies but he has so much more knowledge than that. He's quite the fountain of knowledge.

Ashley: My little flower. (happy sobs) All grown up !

Ali: Might I cut in, Mrs. Mae ?

Ash: By all means !
Ali: (takes Myra's hand as they dance to a traditional tune together)

Myra: (narrating) Sometimes life comes at us in unexpected ways, and it pleasantly surprises us. I wasn't thinking I would fall in love and marry this man, and it happened. My life was blessed even more with his inclusion and optimistic perspective. He is the sun I bask in and my joy is only multiplied due to him. I couldn't have imagined it any other way, to be honest my life has only become fuller.

(We see them dancing to 'All These Feelings', 'My First, My Last, My Everything' and 'Someone to Watch Over Me' as the credits begin to roll, right after Ali's head falls into the crook of Myra's shoulder. It's the perfect bookend and a fairy tale story only beginning it's run. Egyptian symbols are seen next to the names in the credits, bloopers are shown, and credit is given where it is due. Any resemblance to people living or dead, dude...it's coincidental !)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers