Born to Love

Synopsis: Cora Monroe has the oddest feeling she has known her supervisor, Dean Edwards before he ever hired her as his secretary for his law firm—Edwards, Kyle and Leaky. She doesn't realize exactly why until Dean shares a dream with her about the Golden Age of Greece. Turns out, they shared that lifetime together, and many others besides, even as demigods.

~*~CAST~*~
Jethro Kyle: (best friend to Dean)
Ned Leaky: (another bf to Dean)
Dean Edwards:
Cora Monroe:
Beatrice Stark: (Cora's best friend)
Maximilian 'Max' Gupta:
Mildred 'Milly' Monroe: (Cora's mom)
Robert 'Rob' Edwards:
Zeus:
Hera:
Eros: (former self)
Psyche: (former self)
Golden Age Cora:
Golden Age Dean:
Renaissance Cora:
Renaissance Dean:
Industrial Cora:
Industrial Dean:
Storyteller Hanna Edwards:
Robert Eli Edwards:
Teacher, Mrs. Jeannine Baudelaire:
Various Kids:

Scene 1—Listen to My Tale !

Mrs. Baudelaire: OK, children ! Time for the story circle ! Who wants to be our storyteller for the day ?

Hanna: (raising her hand) Pick me ! Pick me !

Mrs. B: (chortling) OK, OK ! Someone's mighty eager to have this tale told !
Robert: (to a fellow classmate) That's my older sister. She tells the best and finest stories ever orated !

Kid #1: (not buying it) Yeah, right, Rob. I'll believe it when I hear it.

Mrs. B: Alright, children. Take your seats. Hanna, come to the middle of the story circle, if you would.

Hanna: (sits down in the center of the circle) Once upon a time, there were demigods, Eros and Psyche. They were born from Zeus' thoughts and unleashed upon the world. Not knowing who or what they were, the demigods awoke in our human realm, disoriented.

Eros: (waking up) Where am I ? Certainly this is not Olympus.

Psyche: (happily playing, swinging and singing) What a wonderful, lovely place this is. All the flowers, animals and music. I could get used to this.

Eros: (taken by her song) Pardon me, but I couldn't help but get lost in your angelic voice. Who are you, pray, tell me.

Psyche: I'm Psyche. Ah, I believe you are Eros. I have only heard of you in this moment. What brings you to the mortal realm ?

Eros: I think I am to spread love wherever I go. Seeing the looks on these mortals faces, I can see they need an injection of it. So dismal and dire are they.

Psyche: Good for a man to know his purpose. I'm not bound by purpose those. I am free. I can do whatever I desire. All I wish to do is sing and swing...

Eros: (sits opposite her in the swing) We could be better together, you and I.

Psyche: You think so ? We only just met, Eros.

Hanna: (narrating) Inevitably though, the two fell in love. Their realms of intellect and heart merged and everyone on earth was blissful for a time. That is, until Zeus got wind of the mortal's merriment...

Zeus: What is the meaning of this ? Why are they so elated ! We GODS should be the only ones capable of such joviality !

Hermes: It would be wrong though, just ripping it from them.

Zeus: I don't care. I should strike you down for siding with them.

Hermes: It shan't ever happen again, m'lord. (bows politely, lowly in deference, not directly looking at his face for fear Zeus will melt him with laser vision)

Zeus: Good. I will take care of this myself.

Hera: My beloved, where are you going ?

Zeus: To tend to business.

Hera: (rolls eyes) Here he goes, again.

('O Fortuna' plays in the background while mortals are destroyed. Eros and Psyche are within each others embrace, kissing when Zeus strikes them down.)

Kid #2: Wait, he just flat out murders his own children ?

Kid #3: I don't like this story...

Hanna: Don't worry, Jenny. It gets better. Just wait. Although they perished, their spirits returned in the Golden Era, then in the Renaissance, the Industrial Age and at last, the present time.

Kid #4: How ? That's impossible.

Hanna: (huge grin) Nothing is impossible, Henry. Trust me.

(Flash back)

Scene 2—First Day at the Job

Cora: (anxious) I can't stop shaking ! What if they don't like me !

Milly: Cora, they are going to adore you ! Your dad, rest him, would be so proud of you right now.

Cora: I'm sorry he didn't live long enough to see me become successful. Now I'm going to be working for a high-end law firm !

Milly: He knew you were more than capable. See, you've got the best of us, right here !
(places her hand on Cora's head and heart) (hugs her) I'm so glad I could see you off. You go in there, and get 'em ! Cora, Cora, she's our gal, if she can't do it, no one shall ! Woo woo wooooooo !

Cora: (kisses her mom's cheek) I love you mama.

Milly: I know, baby.

Cora: (drives off and heads to work, walks into the workplace, posture erect, head held high, brisk pace)

Jethro: Gosh, you're early Ms. Monroe. Dean isn't even here yet.

Ned: I put the coffee on, if you'd like some.

Cora: I prefer tea. Do you have Earl Grey ?

Jethro: Certainly do. We cater to tea lovers too.

Cora: Thanks. You two are ?

Ned: I'm Ned, that's Jethro. We're all best of friends. We've known Dean since he was a youngster. We all played little league together. Dean's got a mean fast ball !

Jethro: (puts a kettle on the oven, heats it)

Cora: (sits down and gets right to work)

Ned: If you need anything, just let us know.

(Dean walks in and the kettle whistles. There's a look between them that speaks volumes.
Dream Weaver plays in the background.)

Jethro: Tea's hot. (pours her a cup)

Cora: Thanks, Jethro.

Dean: Welcome to Edwards, Kyle and Leaky, Cora !

Cora: (stands up and shakes his hand) Glad to be aboard. We're a mighty small high end firm, aren't we ?
Dean: Yes, but we do. I'm sorry, but have we met ?

Cora: No, but you seem mighty familiar.

Dean: I might just have that 'metro sexual' look that's so chic these days.

Cora: (laughing) Yeah, that's it. (drinks a little tea) I'm ready for work.

Dean: Let's get cracking then. Hopefully we'll have a court case today. I want to you to see what Edwards, Kyle and Leaky is all about !

Cora: (cracks knuckles) Let's get down to business !

(We see them actually having fun working. 'Taking Care of Business' plays in the background.)

Cora: (narrating) Still, the thought entered my mind that I did know Dean from somewhere. I just couldn't pinpoint the exact locale. It was a conundrum confounding my brain, and I ached to come to a solution !

(Scene fade)

Scene 3—Confessions Of Past Lives

(The Next Day appears on the screen)

Cora: (stretching, getting ready for the day, her friend stops at a stoplight and rolls her window down, she's singing 'Dancing Queen' at the top of her lungs)

Beatrice: My, you're in a terribly good mood. Job must be going great guns.

Cora: It is Beatrice. How's your life ?

Beatrice: (shows off engagement ring) I'm getting married, Cora !

Cora: To that hunky software engineer ? Good for you. I knew Max was a catch.

Beatrice: I wanted to talk to you about that later but it's grand to see that the legal business is working out great guns for you !

Cora: Oh definitely ! All is sensational ! I'm happy as a clam and the world is my oyster.

Beatrice: You go, girl. You deserve that and more. I'll give you a call later in the week about wedding plans.

Cora: Oh you know you will. And you'd better dish about Max !

Beatrice: (turning red) Later, I have to focus on my driving and you should too, puddin'.

(Cora drives into work and sees Dean, smiling pleasantly at her. The other fellows aren't in the office, yet.)

Dean: Good morning, Cora ! I made you some chocolate chai.

Cora: Tea coinassure ?

Dean: All the best from Republic of Tea.

Cora: (laughs) Man after my own heart. They practically know what I'm going to buy before I order it online.

(They chuckle a bit.)

Dean: Hey, I wanted to tell you something.

Cora: (becoming increasingly more interested) Do you believe in past lives ?

Dean: Actually, yes I do. What I'm about to tell you might freak you out a bit though.

Cora: (scoffs) Not much scares me. Fire away.

Dean: I have been having a recurring dream. You're in it. We're both philosophers in the Golden Age of Greece. Apparently we were well respected and we lived a prosperous, blissful life together.

Cora: That's why I feel glad just to be in the same room as you. (She blushes, realizing she said that aloud)

Dean: What's wrong ? There's nothing to be ashamed about. I'm certain you've been having the same dreams too.

Cora: Come to think of it, yes. It seems that we shared many lifetimes together.

Dean: Kind of like Om Shanti Om.

Cora: Precisely. Although, I thought the end to that film was a bit bittersweet. I would've loved it if eventually Sandy and Om got together.

Dean: I know right. They were perfect for each other. (he realizes his hand is resting atop her's) Pardon me. How inconsiderate !

Cora: (cheeks turn rouge, pats his hand in return) Not at all.

(Jethro walks in and Ned follows straightaway.)

Jethro: Hey...It's so quiet in here. Almost too quiet. Did we get any calls ?

Dean: (hands behind his back, still blushing) No. No clients yet. I'm sure it'll pick up later in the day. It's the litigious part of the year. Don't cha know?

Ned: Most of our cases are pro bono anyways. It's for the better, greater good.

Cora: What's that intoxicating aroma ? Do I smell sweet and sour chicken ?

Ned: You've got a magical schnoz on you. Bingo, bango, BONGO, baby. I got a little something of everything, cuz with three, you get egg roll.

Jethro: (imitates rim shot)

Cora: (narrating) Everything had become topsy turvy. My theory had been proven. Not only did Dean believe that reincarnation existed but he remembered his past existences. I had known that from the moment I laid eyes upon him. Now I knew why I was drawn to Dean so deeply. It seemed that we were being pulled closer and closer together. To be honest, I had never known anything so sublime. I didn't want it to end. So, I steeled my courage and asked him if he wanted to go out on a date with me.

Scene 4—The Red Thread

(She goes to an outstanding restaurant with Dean and he requests to dance with her.)

Dean: Seeing that you are wearing the most resplendent red dress, I requested the orchestra to play Lady in Red.

Cora: That's so romantic. I never really thought you had it in you.

Dean: (spinning her around and back into his embrace) You bring out the best in me.

Cora: (turning dark red) I'll admit something. At first, I was intimidated of asking you out.

Dean: I wanted to myself, but it seemed like my tongue clove to my soft palate.

Cora: (she laughs, placing her hand atop his and caressing it) I know now that there is nothing to fear.

Dean: (blinks and swears he sees the red thread connecting his pinkie to her's)

Cora: (inquisitively) What is it ?

Dean: Look. (he holds up her hand and her hand also goes up)

Cora: I knew it existed. I guess only couples can see it clearly. So my theory is actualized.

Dean: I had been thinking the same thing.

Cora: Great minds.

(He feeds her some of the spaghetti they've ordered. They feed each other and laugh.)

Dean: I haven't had this swell of a time in forever.

Cora: (dreamily) Neither have I.

Dean: One more dance before we depart for the night ?

Cora: I thought you'd never ask.

(They dance to the more melancholy and touching version of 'Lady' as well as 'She's Like the Wind'. Dean sweeps her away into his arms and lowers her to the ground.)

Cora: However did you do that ?

Dean: Would it sound weird if I told you I take dancing lessons on the side ? Why ? Would you like to be my partner ?

Cora: Of course I would. It'd be divine ! (narrating) From that point onward, we would trip the light fantastic to the local Arthur Murray's to lindy hop, foxtrot, quickstep, salsa, rumba, and cha cha our troubles away.

(Scene fade after we see them dancing to 'Swingin' Man')

Scene 5—More Than a Dance Partner

Cora: (rushing into work, almost out of breath) Dean, I've got a huge issue that just came up !

Dean: What's wrong ?

Cora: Beatrice is going to have her baby any day now. She wants me to be the godmother !
She said she wanted me to be there when little Alexis is born.

Dean: As your supervisor, I think it's important that you support your friend. I also want to ask something of you.

Cora: What's that ?

Dean: Can I go along with you ? I've always wanted to witness the miracle of birth...

(Back in the story circle)

Kid #4: This story is too graphic for kids. (leans in) Tell us more !

Kid #5: Yeah !

Hanna: (narrating) Cora and Dean witnessed Alexis' entry into our world and welcomed her into her adoring home. Not long after, it was all the couple could speak of...

Dean: I didn't want to ask you in the delivery room, in such a sacred place. I was just wondering. We've had many lifetimes together. We've been brought together again.
(he kneels down next to her desk) Will you be my lifelong partner ?

Cora: Yes ! Of course !

(A flash forward of their wedding is shown, Beatrice is there, baby by her side, husband having a blast dancing with baby Alexis. 'There You Are' by Pogo)

Kid #7: And ?

Hanna: That's how I got here. Robert came not long afterward, but I was so joyous when I realized that I would have someone to play with and protect.
Robert: I need no protection !

(The children laugh)

Mrs. B: Alright, alright. That's enough. A bang-up story, Hanna. Top marks !

Rob: I knew it. Way to go, sis !

Hanna: (grin) Every word was the truth. (narrating) I spared no detail. I'm even a big sister to little Alexis.

Mrs. B: Then she has a beautiful role model.

Hanna: Thank you. (narrating) My mom is a partner now. It took some time for her to earn her stripes as a lawyer, but dad taught her well. She's been doing tremendously, but both of them help the less fortunate. That's their biggest drive. Edwards, Kyle and Leaky has grown substantially since mom's promotion. She and dad head quite a few employees under them and life is good. Rob and I don't want for much, but I'm thinking of becoming an attorney just like her. Helping others is its own reward. Rob on the other hand, he'll probably become a programmer of some sort, but whatever he does, I know he's going to be insanely successful. He's got a silver tongue and the Midas touch. He works hard, and it shows. We all do in our family. Right now, the future is distant and I don't think of it much. All I see are my mom, dad, Bea, Max and Alexis. They're my extended circle of family warmth. So many blessings, I have run out of fingers to keep tabs on them. Love brought us together, and unites us. I intend on sharing that agape with everyone I touch.

(We see Bea, Max, Alexis, Rob, Hanna and the entire family, even Ned and Jethro's crew playing soccer together. 'Groove Tonight' plays in the background, followed by 'All Night Long' , and a little clip of Max, Bea, Cora and Dean dancing to the bit in Yes, Boss where SRK plays the piano, having a blast.)

Dean: You're my Shanti.

Cora: (stroking his cheek and looking at him affectionately) And you, my Ohm.

Dean/Cora: (singing) Om Shanti Om !

To everyone who believed in me, I owe you more hugs than I could ever return in my given lifetime. You have my love, friendship and respect. I pray that is enough to repay you for your kindness and altruism. God bless you in everything you do. We know that indeed, 'Love is All You Need' as the final song in the credits states so clearly. It is our Universal concept, and it's the only thing the world needs. Love shouldn't be dedicated to only one day in the calendar either. It should be shared every day of the week, and never go out of style. Just remember, it can be given in a multitude of ways. Take time to be kind. You'll be surprised how it boomerangs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers