Tribute to Papa



Most of you will remember my dad’s wacky sense of humor and how he was able to inject into any and every situation.   Even when on the outside, circumstances appeared dire and insurmountable, he would remind us that ‘this too shall pass’.   We had many favorite movies that we adored, but one that resonated the most with us was ‘The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel’.   Our mantra, which still resonates with me deeply even today is; ‘It’ll be alright in the end.  If it is not yet alright, it is not yet the end’.            
Being a daddy’s girl, pops and I were always hooked together at the hip, two proverbial peas in a pod.   We didn’t consider it unusual to be able to answer in unison or understand each other’s thoughts.   Just consider us Betazeds !   Dad taught me to love life, live it abundantly and realize, just as Mary Copeland taught us that ‘life is a transition’.   Khalil Gibran stated ‘life and death are but the same breath’.  Honestly, it is nothing to fear because we are not this vessel that we see but pure energy and when we do die, we simply, musically speaking, ‘transpose into a higher key’. 
Many things I remember from living with dad were how he adored helping others.   My pop was an extremely giving individuals.  Altruistic to a fault, he put others above himself and he was always giving out donations to charitable organizations.   So many can say he had become a father to them.   He molded me into the individual I am today and gave me a strong resolve and resilience.   In fact, one can say the Berndt spirit itself is perseverant in the face of adversity.   We are, as the Chinese adage states, ‘flowers blooming in adversity’.   
          Dad taught me everything I know and gave me a wealth of knowledge with which to navigate the world; an adoration of academia, music and everything in between.   We were nerds, too.  I’ll never forget our evenings in front of the ‘tele’ watching Keeping up Appearances, Are You Being Served, Downton Abbey or Sherlock.   Fond memories indeed.    Blame it on pop for getting me into Star Trek and Star Wars.  Truthfully, I wouldn’t want it any other way.   
          There are so many other things I would like to say about my dad, but he would have wanted to have been remembered for his friendship that blossomed into love with my darling mother.   The most beautiful example of unconditional love I have ever seen.  If ever there were a red thread of fate linking a better couple together, I can think of none.   I know that every time I see an elephant I will be reminded of him since it was his favorite animal.   I consider it his totem.  Strong, determined, erudite, dedicated, loyal and a friend forever once a spiritual connection is made.   I know that he will be watching over me and the spirit of the elephant will keep guiding me along the right path.    I would like to close with the sensational words of Kahlil Gibran, one of my father’s favorite authors, for he was an extraordinarily well read man;
          Patient is the Captain of my ship, the wind blows and restless are the sails.  Even the rudder begs direction; yet quietly my Captain awaits my Silence.   And these, my mariners, who have heard the choir of the Greater Sea, they too, have heard me patiently.   Now they shall wait no longer.  I am ready.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers