After Living



Synopsis:  A collaboration between myself and TTR about what happens after one dies on this earthly plane.  A widower, who never remarried dies at a ripe old age.  His family deems it unfair while the sun sees it for what it truly is, a transition.  He also receives a message from his dad in unusual ways--and much like modern day psychics, finds his world expanding exponentially.  It also leads him to a love he never expected. 

~*~CAST~*~
Arthur Briggs: 
Jemma ‘Jem’ Briggs: (his wife, deceased for 9 years now)
Kevin Briggs:  (their only son)  
James ‘Jim’ Valencio: (Kevin’s best friend)
Marnie Valencio: (his wife, singer and tenor sax player)
Xander Valencio: (their son, piano player)
Gilbert ‘Gill’ Styles: (drum player)
Bruin Wallis: (main singer of ‘Tranquility’)
Ramona Lions/Valencio: (Xander’s girlfriend from Australia)
Viral Khan: (Jim’s producer/agent)
Mason O’Malley: (his Uncle on his mom’s side)
Diana O’Malley: (his wife)  
Norman O’Malley: (their son)
Velvet O’Malley: (their middle daughter)
Sable O’Malley: (their youngest daughter)
Bridgette Connery: (Kevin’s love interest)
Jessica Connery: (Bridgette’s mom)
Kenneth ‘Ken’ Connery: (Bridgette’s dad) 
Margo Cummings: (Brigitte’s best friend)

Scene 1—Becoming an Orphan
Kevin:  (narrating)  Inasmuch as papa prepared me for his passing, nothing could’ve prepared me for the changes that surrounded me at the time of his death.   Arthur, my beloved dad, had been in a perfect frame of mind, settling all accounts that he could before he breathed his last.  
(We see happier times of Arthur and Kevin enjoying golf, baseball games, football on TV and their bowling league, with Arthur easily besting his son.  Kevin rolls mostly gutter balls, but now in the ‘Smoking Seven’ he is at the helm.)
Kevin:  (narrating)  It was only a few weeks that dad had been increasingly getting worse.  He had been having conversations with my mom, Jemma, who had been deceased for 9 years.   I didn’t think of this as unusual.  I had always known, being the spiritual man that I am that the transition of death makes the veils between the natural and supernatural thinner.   Those involved in the process see more than we can ever know or understand, unless we involve ourselves in different pathways.  Some of those routes can be dark and occultist, and I choose rather to walk the pathway of light.   Yet I know in the final hours of dad’s life, mom was with him.  I just don’t know how to explain it except through the visions he shows me as I sleep and the signs he continues to show me, even after this difficult time. 
(We see Kevin getting the call that every person dreads receiving and him reacting in a very surprised manner.  He goes through the motions of saying his farewells to his dad with his family by his side and attending his funeral and burying him.  After the initial funeral is over and he returns to his schedule, he finds himself at home, breaking down and punching the wall in rage.) 
Kevin:  He was all I had left, Jim.   Now I’ve got nothing. 
Jim: (a bit irate)  Hey, you’ve got me, Kev.  I stuck with you through this whole thing.  Your family pulled through too.  Not every family is so close as yours.  I have to say, mine is, also.  We’re both very fortunate. 
Kevin:  And rare. 
Jim:  Hey.  I know what would cheer you up.  How about tickets to Music Fest 2016 ?  
Kevin:  No way !  How did you even purchase those ? They’re supposed to be nearly impossible to get !
Jim:  (wriggles eyebrows)  Dude, I’m in a band.  I’m not professional like the others who are going to be at the event, but I highlight.   Bass players never really get the credit they deserve but my boss, Viral, said he was knocked out by my chops and wanted to show me some love. 
Kevin:  Viral is really a dope dude once you get to know him.
Jim:  Yeah.  Hey, you get some sleep.   You really need it after all you’ve been through this month. 
Kevin:  (sarcastic chuckle)  Shah, tell me about it, brah.  
Jim:  We’ll be surfing, too, so bring your gear, right ?
Kevin:  Sure.  I haven’t been surfin’ in years.
Jim:  The waves miss ya, bra.   Catch up on those z’s man.  You’ve got a week of possibilities waiting for ya ! 
(Scene shift) 
Scene 2—Gearing up for Music Fest
Jim:  (Noticing that Kevin is packing up his favorite Trans-Am for the trip)  Ooooh, classy.   How long have you had this beaut here ?
Kevin:  You mean Layla ?   Oh, she hardly ever gets driven.  It’s only when I want to show off.   I’m hoping she scores me some points with the ladies.  Am I right ? 
Jim:  Oh, definitely.  If I were a woman right now, I’d find you irresistible.  (tries to kiss him) 
Kevin:  Ew, gross.  Dude, yuck !  You’re married to Marnie ! (cringing) No homo ! 
(They josh around with each other for a while and speed off in their car listening to Black Dog.  First thing Kevin wants to do is be one with the waves.) 
Jim:  What’s possessed you ? 
Kevin:  I don’t know.  I felt a gentle wind and was compelled to the ocean.  
Jim:  Are you turning into a romantic at your age ? 
Kevin:  Maybe.  I felt something familiar about it though.  It sounded like dad’s voice and felt like mom’s embrace.  Am I going mad ?
Jim:  (laughs)  No, not at all.   I could smell Chantilly on many occasions when I was having a particularly hard time.  I knew it was grandma Opal telling me I was only being tested and I would come out ahead.   9 times out of 10, I did, every single time ! 
Kevin:  I have a theory on that. 
Jim:  (raised brow)  Oh, you do, do you ?  Tell me, oh wise one.  
Kevin:  Dad’s death has given me time to be alone with my thoughts, though they be rambling.  I personally think that death is not the end.  When our souls make the trip to the other side, they gain abilities back they lacked here on earth.  For instance, Opal was myopic, presbyopic and astigmatic, right ?
Jim: (intrigued)  Go on.
Kevin:  My thought is when they ascend to the higher plane, they are perfect.  Now Opal can see, and even has the ability to see into the future. 
Jim:  That makes an odd sort of sense.  
Kevin:  Maybe there’s a reason why you feel an attraction to the ocean now.
Jim:  Don’t question it, then.
Kevin: (insistently) I know it’s my parents leading me.  I have to go.
Jim:  I understand.  I have to get in touch with the band.  We need to practice before the other groups arrive. 
Kevin:  (Nodding)   Have an extraordinary night.   (sings)  Oh Jimmy boy, the waves the waves are calling !  
(He heads out to the waves where he surfs.  Familiar songs by The Pixies play and he catches a glimpse of a surfer girl who takes his breath away.)
Bridgette:  (wipes out and the undertow nearly drowns her but Kevin drags her to shore.  At first she isn’t breathing but he performs CPR on her.) 
Kevin:  Come on, breathe…Breathe…
Bridgette: (coughs up water)  Lucky me, I got saved by a handsome man.  It’s more than I ever dreamed. 
Kevin:  Is that flattery or sarcasm ?
Bridgette: (laughs and coughs a little)  I’m Bridgette.  I’ve never seen you up here.  You’re not from around these parts are you ?
Kevin:  No.  I hail from up north but the beach isn’t that far of a drive. 
Bridge/Kevin: Not for a water baby !
(They laugh)
Kevin: (seductively) Jinx.   (smiles in a smitten way and helps her get up) I’m Kevin by the way.  Did the music fest lure you here too ?
Bridgette:  (lowers her gaze coyly)  If I told you the real reason for my coming here, you’d laugh and deem me completely daft. 
Kevin:  No, go ahead.  I am enjoying your company !  (he can’t help but smile and be drawn ever more by her charming, lovable nature.  She is light itself.) 
Bridgette:  I have hit sort of a blockade in my creativity.  You see, I write for a living and I haven’t written anything of note for years.  My success is starting to flounder.   Whenever I come here, especially out in nature, I find my muse. 
Kevin:  That’s so poetic. 
Bridgette:  Something tells me I won’t have any dry spells any longer though. 
Kevin:  That’s the spirit.  
Bridgette:  What brings you to the festival ?  (walking closer to him, and he notices the thrill and pleasure it gives him and he can’t help smile and sigh peacefully) 
Kevin:  New experiences.   I don’t wish to be a downer but I’m an orphan now.
Bridgette:  (pained expression)  How tragic.  I am so sorry.  Did you know it was going to happen or was it a shock ?
Kevin:  One can never prepare you for the initial death of your closest family member, but I was prepared.   Dad knew he was getting ready to take a final bow from the stage of life. 
Bridgette:  I’m glad you’re here though.  I’m certain your parents would’ve wanted you to live life to the fullest.  
Kevin:  Indeed.   Hey, would you like to watch the stars come out with me ? 
Bridgette:  Of course I would.  
Kevin:  (narrating)  Little did I know that what I had felt earlier was actually a prompting from my mom and dad from paradise.  I wouldn’t understand that until I began dreaming that night. 
Scene 3—Vision From Beyond
Arthur:  Just like old times, ey, Kev, my boy ! 
Kevin: (feeling the familiar clap of his dad’s hand on his shoulder gives him euphoria)  Dad ? 
Jemma:  Look how much you’ve grown !   How handsome you are !
Kevin:  Mom ?   (surprised)  How is it you look so young ?
Jem:  Everyone looks this way over here, hon.  There’s no pain, no sickness, no disease, and no tears.  
Kevin:  Why did you bring me to the baseball diamond ?
Arthur:  We wanted to reunite at a familiar place. 
Kevin:  Makes sense.   I have a question though. 
Jemma:  Inquire !
Kevin:  Was it you and dad that sent me to the ocean earlier ?
Art:  Bingo !  You are such an intuitive young man.   You know it’s rare that you’re so sensitive to that.   So many people dismiss the promptings of the spirit that they shut out any inklings that they have.  
Jemma:  We wanted you to meet that young lady.  What happens is up to you now.   I already know how it’ll end, though.  (wriggles eyes)
Kevin:  (plugs ears) No spoiler alerts, please ma ! 
Jem:  Certainly not.  
Art:  Remember how I had so much pain the last few days of my life ?
Kevin:  Yes.  (his dad pats him heartily on the back)
Art:  Watch this, son.  Jem, toss me a bat my jewel.
Art:  Tricky.  (cocky laugh)  I’ll show you tricky. 
Jem: (Throws a corkscrew which whizzes right past Kevin’s head only inches from his temple) 
Jem:  WOAH !  Hot diggity dog !  Home run ! 
Kevin: (astonished, mouth agape)  Impossible.  You did that back in semi-professionals.   You would’ve been pro had you not torn your rotator cuff during that accident. 
Art:  Nothing is impossible here.  Your mother, though she was paralyzed, she can run faster than a cheetah here.   We play, laugh, eat, drink, learn…
Jem:  Make love in the spirit. 
Kevin: (raising eyebrow)  That sounds intriguing. 
Jem:  You rascal !  (she mock hits him on the shoulder) 
Kevin:  (feigning injury) Owwwww ! 
(They all laugh with gusto)
Art:  We’re proud of you.   We can see your sports casting business is going grandly. 
Kevin:  (beams)  I’m doing what I love.  Plus I get to watch games for free !  Even my friend, Jim, he says he’d kill to be me.  
Jem:  You’re fortunate to have this circle of friends around you.   That circle will continue to expand in time, too. 
Kevin:  (can’t help but chortle at his long-held fear)  I can’t understand why I had been so terrified of dying. 
Art:  So many are, but we wanted this to be another gift to you. 
Jem:  You know you can always access us through your subconscious.  Just relax and be loose and flexible. 
Kevin:  I have no trouble there.  I recently started taking yoga classes and it’s really helping me align my spine (effervescently) and my chakras. 
Art:  Excellent.  You’re doing so well.  
Jem:  This is goodbye, but you know how to reach us.  (They both hug him) 
(Scene fade)
Scene 4—Listening to Tranquility Rehearse
Kevin:  (waking up, more eager and avid than ever, filled with energy, hears the familiar strains of one of Tranquility’s songs)  I have to tell Jim about my dream.  It was lucid.  I rarely have those !
(He rushes toward the outdoor stadium where the bands will be playing)
Jim:  (helping his band set up)  Sounding really choice there on the ivories my boy. 
Xander:  (wryly and comedically)  That’s what she said ! 
Jim: (rolls eyes and sighs)  Since when did you become a lady-killer, Xander ?
Xander:  Oh, you know, ever since I sat down at a piano, daddio.  The chicks, they just loooooove someone who can be sensitive about feelings and junk.  At least I’m sincere about it.  I’m not afraid to emote. 
Bruin:  No, you are the king of feelings.  By the way, how’s Ramona ?
Xander:   She’s actually heading here for summer vacation.   Can you believe that ?  We’re still going strong after all these years.  
Gil:  That’s awesome, Xander.   Man, for her to come all that way from Australia, she must really love you. 
Xander:  (runs fingers through his thick hair)  I know.  Luckiest guy alive, am I right ?  
Viral:  How’s it goin’ guys ?  I bought everyone’s favorite drinks.  I also got extra, I wasn’t sure what everyone liked. 
Jim:  You didn’t have to do that.  
Viral:  I gotta treat my prized stars like family.  Kindness boomerangs, remember? 
(They laughs a bit) 
Kevin:  Did I interrupt anything ? 
Marnie:  Not really, no !  We’re just getting started.  
Kevin:  Do you mind if I borrow Jim for a moment ?
Marnie:  That sounds (racy tone) kinky.  (she laughs, loudly) Just joking !  Sometimes I can’t help myself.   Open door, I walk through !
Kevin:  I see why you fall in love with her every day, man.  What a knockout.
Jim:  She’s in earshot, man.  Watch your mouth. 
Kevin: (awkwardly)  Sorry, Marnie.  You’re gorgeous ! 
Jim:  Kev, quit !   (looks at him)  What, dude, what ! 
Kevin:  I had the most spectacular lucid dream. 
Jim:  (mesmerized)  Really ?  Tell me about it. 
Kevin:  I saw mom and dad.  They were in their thirties, fit, healthy, jovial. 
Jim:  Unreal.  
Kevin:  (lighthearted laugh)  It hit me all as unusual at first but then I realized that the subconscious is actually more pliable and malleable.  When we’re awake, we’re not actually aware.  The subconscious is even more so ! 
Jim:  Dude, I think you just lost me. 
Kevin:  I lost myself in my train of thought, but just consider it.   Our minds are so much more complex than we know.   Mom and dad gave me the idea to head to the beach.  That’s where I met Bridgette. 
Jim:  That’s wicked !   I’m so happy for you.  
Kevin:  And to think I came to the Music Fest on a mere whim. 
Jim:  Sure.  But you kept telling me, ‘everything happens for a reason’.  We don’t know why they do, but I think we’ll know everything when we get to paradise.
Kevin:  We have accounts, but not our own.   No one’s ever been able to interview someone from the opposite side of the veil.  I got my closest opportunity last night in my dream.
Jim:  That’s amazing.  
Bridge:  (huge, gleaming grin on her face)  Fancy meeting you here.  Ah, you know Tranquility ?
Kevin:  Yes, this top notch gent here… (slaps his back heartily)
Jim:  (bashfully)  Aw, shucks.  
Kevin: He’s the bassist of the band.  
Bridge:  I can dig it.   How long have you known each other ? 
(They laugh in tandem) 
Kevin:  Since grade school.   We were inseparable. 
Jim:  Yep.  I still consider Kev my brother even though we’re not related by blood. 
Kevin:  Maybe in another life. 
Bridge:  (takes his hand)  Hey, do you want to get a Frappuccino with me ?
Kevin:  (blushing)  You betcha !  I’d love to stick around, Jimmy boy, but Bridge and I…
Jim:  Say no more.  Enjoy that Frappuccino, you lucky dog.
Kevin:  (narrating)  From the moment I had that Frappuccino with Bridgette, I knew my life was changed inevitably forever.   My dad hadn’t wanted me to be alone and he put love in my life.   At first, yes, I have to admit, I was a little afraid, but I opened my heart to the opportunity and I never once looked back.  Bridgette became my world and even though we were apart from each other in our respective jobs, we found happiness in each other in the reuniting and parting moments of each day.   I knew eventually, I’d marry her, knowing that we would surf the waves of life together.  
(Scene fade, we see a montage of Kevin’s life up to the point where he is attending Xander’s wedding.   He has been dating Bridgette successfully and feels it’s opportune to ask Bridgette to marry him.) 
Scene 5—Auspicious Occasion
Kevin:  (narrating)  Seasons came and went.  Before I knew it I was attending Xander’s wedding.   I couldn’t believe he had been planning to marry his faraway sweetheart after all these years.  She had to pluck up roots and come to the States, but her parents were very supportive.   They loved Xander and his attributes and knew that she would be in good hands.  There was only one stipulation, however.  Xander and Ramona had to come and visit during the holidays, or they would come to the States to reunite.   All in all, it was a very amiable relationship.   I myself had gotten to know my darling’s family and I wanted to garner the courage to make a move.   Mom and dad had been supportive and I think their answer in my dream last night was more than obvious.   They showed me a rose, just waiting to blossom.  I knew that the love I had was that very rose.   I had to strike while the iron was hot.  

Bridgette:  Isn’t this fabulous ? 
Kevin:  I think that you are even more fabulous !   You just keep becoming more beautiful every time I see you.  
Bridgette:  (blushes darkly)  You’re just saying that because you’re biased. 
Kevin: No.  I mean that from the bottom of my heart. (spins her into his arms, holding her from behind and kisses her neck, whispers into her ear)  I have an inquiry. 
Bridge:  What it is ? 
Kevin:  (kneels)  Bridgette Connelly.  Before God, country and everyone, I declare openly my heart belongs to you.  Will you cleave your heart to mine ?
Bridgette:  Of course, but we can’t steal Xander’s thunder.  (nudges him playfully as they dance to ‘I’ll Be the Greatest Love in Your Life’ followed by ‘Ride the Pony, Monie, Monie’) 
Kevin:  (narrating)  Certainly didn’t want to rob Xander and Mona of their big day.   We waited until a more opportune time, like at the Christmas party, and then everyone and their brother knew.   Strangely enough though, it was as if Bridgette’s parents knew the whole time.  I swear, those fellows are practically psychic.   I could’ve never guessed over the passage of time that this is what dad and mom had prepared me for, even though I kept a handwritten journal of every dream I had, whether it included them or was something rambling and random as most of them tended to be.  
Bridgette:  (narrating)  Eventually, we did have a little, intimate wedding of our own.   My family became Kevin’s and it began to expand exponentially.   Soon, we were expecting our own little bundle of joy, Shana.   Shana is already 7, believe it or not !   Gee, whiz.  How time really does fly.  She can see Kevin’s mom and dad as clear as day and has conversations with them.  He and I both believe that her pure view of everything gives her fewer limitations to converse with the realm of spirit.  We still continue our findings daily.   She actually told us that she won’t be alone much longer and ‘grandpop’ told her so.  Little imp !  I couldn’t be happier though.  She’ll be a big sister in no time, and baby will make four of us in this supernatural and extraordinary world !   We help others connect with their family members too, especially in dreams.   Some can even have visions during their waking hours, but this is rarer.   Still, reaching out to those who are longing for what will inevitably become theirs is so rewarding.  We remind them, life is precious and meant to be lived with kindness, love, faith and appreciation.   These small, simple truths lead to a life full of memories, no regrets and enjoyment. 

(A montage is shown, especially of Bridgette and Kevin receiving their new son Gordon and adjusting to their new life with him.  ‘Unwritten’ plays in the background, followed by ‘I Did It All/I Lived’ and ‘Don’t Stop Me Now’.  Bloopers are seen as well as some behind the scenes actions.   A quote follows, ‘Life itself is too precious to be burdened by sorrows and cares.  Live life, live it fully.’—Dhani.)  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers