Your Local Hookah

Synopsis:  A script about a man, Abbas Arafat, who is trying to make a living the best he can while dealing with the prejudice due to the fact that he is Arabic.

~*~CAST~*~

Abbas Arafat: (dad)
Aisha Arafat: (mom)
Jasmine Arafat: (daughter)
Grandpa Hakim Arafat:
Grandma Basira Arafat:
Great Grandpa Almas Arafat:
Thomas Ferguson: (Jasmine's love interest)
Kevin Ferguson: (his dad)
Faith Ferguson: (his mom)
Agatha Ferguson: (his grandma)
Various Hookah Customers: 

Scene 1--Another Day, Another Dollar

Abbas: (coming into work, opening shop, he sees a patron following right after him) 

Customer #1:  Thank heaven.  I was longing for a smoke.  It helps me unwind.

Abbas:  You know anything I have here is available for you, Sir.

Customer #1:  It's like your my brother.  You know exactly what I need when I need it. 

Abbas:  Think nothing of it.  The coffee flavor again, Sir ?

Customer #1:  I'm surprised you don't know where I live by now ! 

(They share a hearty laugh.  Jasmine comes in, panting.)

Jasmine:  I'm sorry, dad.  The college is so far from here.  I hope this doesn't dock my pay.

Abbas:  Never.  Though you know in the real world, it doesn't work like that. 

Jasmine:  (a little scowl but grins at her father)  I know, papa.  (she hugs and kisses him from the side) 

(More customers come in and choose their flavors.  All of them are talking in relaxed, laid-back tones.) 
Jasmine:  Mom's home by now, isn't she ? 

Abbas:  Yes.  She's probably going to be fixing some of her famous sharma.

Jasmine:  Mmmm, my favorite.   She works so hard at the office every day.  I'm hoping I can be a massuse like her. 

Abbas:  Follow your heart, dove.  I'm sure anything your heart desires, as the song says, will come to you.  

Jasmine:  Oh, I intend on that.  By the way, I wanted you to know.  I met someone. 

Abbas:  (interested)  A nice Arab boy, I hope. 

Jasmine:  (winces)  Ah, about that, papa. 

Abbas:  Jasmine, I can't have you dating outside your religion. 

Jasmine:  You don't know him like I do. 

Abbas:  (exhales sharply)  That is true, but that doesn't mean I will approve of him later.

Jasmine:  Just give him a chance, papa.

Abbas:  What about your mother ?  What does *she* think ?

Jasmine:  She believes I have found my soulmate.  It's rather rare this day and age, but they do exist.  I'm just fortunate to have connected with mine on this side of the veil.

Abbas:  (shaking head left to right)  Very well.  I'll let you keep seeing this young man, but I get to have a little chat with him later on if he ever wants a chance of wedding you.

Jasmine:  (blushes)  We haven't even gotten to that point yet.  Yes, I love him but I don't know if he is marriage material.

Abbas:  I'll determine that.  Just help me clean up after the customers are gone, if you will. 

Jasmine:  Of course, papa. 

Abbas:  (sighing a bit loathfully)  Daughters.  Bah.  What's a papa to do ? 

Customer #1:  Just let her be herself.  This young man makes her happy.  Give him a chance to prove himself.  Maybe he has merit you just don't see yet. 

Abbas:  I'll be the judge of that. 

Customer #1:  All I am saying is don't be too close minded.  And honestly, your face right now looks like if you started to sweat the sweat would retreat back into your sebacious glands.   Way too tight, Abbas.  Loosen up a bit.  Maybe you need a bit of the hookah yourself.

Abbas:  You know I don't smoke !

Customer #2:  Not even hashish ?

Abbas: Maybe a little puff, but I don't do that often. 

Customer #2:  You need a day off.  Let Jasmine run the place while you put your feet up. 

Customer #3:  Yes, yes !  She's a good businesswoman. 

Abbas:  Some of my traditional customers won't like that. 

Customer #4:  So you have some patrons who live in the stone age, who cares ?   Just give her the keys and let her tend to business for a while.  I'm sure she'll surprise you. 

Jasmine: (closing up shop and saying farewell to the clients as they file out and head home for the night)  Goodnight !  Have a good evening !
Safe travels !  See you tomorrow.  Thanks for visiting Arafat's Hookah !
A little Hookah's good for you ! 

(She plays 'Good Girl Yes, Bad Girl No' after they have left.)

Abbas:  They're not bad.  Those rhymes are pretty slick. 

Jasmine:  And to think there are some that think they're self-loathing and bigoted.  I don't think that at all.  Whatever happened to Group X though ?

Abbas:  I don't think we'll ever know, but the Internet has ways of keeping talent like that alive for new generations coming into the world.  

(They head home and their mom is waiting.  Grandma and Grandpa have been playing a rather competive game of Go Fish.  Grandpa is the winner this time.)

Hakim:  Ha, ha, Basira !  I beat you this time ! 

Basira:  Fair and square too, I must add.  Impressive.  

Hakim:  Something smells heavenly though.  Is that our Aisha's cooking ?

Aisha:  Yes, it is.  Come, come.  Before it gets cold ! 

Jasmine:  (narrating)  Family dinners were always warm and cozy like this.  Mom made our favorite traditional meals and we ate until we were satisfied.  We always had leftovers.  Tonight was a school night and I had homework, so I got that done for the weekend.  I was hoping to go out, but afraid of what dad would say to my choice of company.  Oh well, sooner or later, he was going to have to accept the fact that I wasn't after a 'good Arabic boy' as he had wanted.  Hopefully, he would overcome his closeminded view.  Ah, I could only pray he did.

(Scene shift) 

Scene 2--Working on Winning Papa's Approval 

(Hookah Bar plays as Jasmine leaves to go to the restaurant with Thomas)

Thomas:  Is your dad still against us going out together ?

Jasmine:  Yes, but he seems a little more open to our relationship.

Thomas:  Is there anything I can do to convince him that we're meant to be together ?

Jasmine:  Maybe you could make him something. 

Thomas:  I don't even know where to begin.  I know a way to a man's heart is through his stomach.   Surely you have some Arabic dish that is his favorite. 

Jasmine: (thinking aloud, stroking her chin)  You do have an excellent point there, Tom.  Papa *does* love to eat, and you're an excellent cook.
By George, you're onto something. 

Thomas: (British accent) Why it's elementary, my dear Jasmine.   When is his birthday, after all ?  If anything I can do to make the best impression of all, it's to make a meal fit for a king on the Emperor's birthday !

Jasmine:  It's actually coming up fairly soon.   Ooh, it's a big one too.  Don't worry, I have plenty of recipies that are sure to make his tastebuds do the conga.  (narrating)  So that day was spent with us working up a plan for papa's birthday celebration in hopes that he would finally see beyond the supposed divide of 'color' and start seeing through the unconditional rose colored goggles of love.

(scene change) 

Scene 3--Dad's Big Day

(We see Jasmine and Thomas coming from a rollerskate date, and an instrumental version of Rollerskate Date plays in the background.) 

Thomas:  Everything set ?

Jasmine:  (a little nervous) Yes.  (inhaling)  Everything smells so divine ! 

Thomas:  Are we going to make it to your house in time before your father comes back from the Hookah bar ?

Jasmine:  Yes.  He's not expecting us, let alone you.  

Thomas:  I just hope that this puts me in his good graces at long last.

Jasmine:  (takes his hand)  I've got a great feeling.  We've come this far, we can't stop now ! 

(They hide behind the couch, waiting for Abbas to come home, and he does, totally surprised by his greeting.)

Everyone: Happy birthday, Abbas !

Abbas:  What's all this ?  How did you guys remember my 60th birthday ?  Who made the kebabs ?

Tom:  (shyly at first raises his hand)  I did, Sir.  Your daughter gave me the idea.

Abbas:  These are excellent.  They smell heavenly. 

Tom:  Glad they meet your approval, Sir. 

Abbas:  Please, (claps hand on his shoulder) call me Abbas. 

Jasmine: (narrating)  It was then that my father turned over a new leaf and stopped being so narrow minded.  From that point forward, Tom became my dad's new friend and he was more than happy to share our culture and way of life with him.  He even let him borrow our family's tome of The Book of the Dead.   Tom found it fascinating and read it in a *day*.  Guy's supernatural if you ask me !

(Scene shift) 

Scene 4--Transitioning

(A Year Later...pops up on the screen in lovely cursive font.)

Tom:  (waiting outside for Jasmine)  Please let that be her.  Please let that be her !

Basira:  Oh, hello, Tom.  Waiting for Jasmine, I see.   Would you like some homemade lemonade ?  I squeezed it this morning.  The lemons are fresh off our tree.  

Tom:  Would you please, I'm parched.

(She goes in and quickly fetches the lemonade and gets it for Tom, who drinks it and sighs dreamily.)

Tom:  Lemonade of the Gods, my fine lady.  This should be tribute to Isis , Goddess of the Rainbow ! 

Basira:  Dear me !  Flattery, my dear boy, will get you everywhere. 

Hakim: (comes out)  Greetings.  Jasmine's on her way.  Why so anxious ?  Something big planned ? (raised eyebrow)

Tom:  I'm anxious, Hakim. 

Basira: (leaning in) Whatever for ?

Hakim:  He's going to propose.  Isn't that obvious ?  Of course he's nervous !  Tom, you'll be fine.  You've been seeing Jasmine for a few months now.  It's time.  Good luck to you.   God go with you. 

Basira:  We'll be hear, silently cheering you on.

(Jasmine comes home, surprised to see that Tom is waiting for her there.)

Jasmine:  What a pleasant surprise.  We just closed the Hookah bar for the day. 

Tom:  I knew you'd be here, and there's something I've been meaning to ask you for a while.  (clears throat and kneels)  Jasmine, my beautiful friend, will you do me the honor of marrying me ?

Jasmine:  (almost jumps into his arms)  Yes !  You know I will. 
(Arabic music plays as she kisses him and the two are whisked into the future where they have a traditional wedding with modern touches.  Abbas is actually so happy he has tears in his eyes.) 

(narrates) Life was an oyster, and every day was a pearl of great price.  We spent our days gearing up for our daughter's arrival into the world.  She became the object of affection to mom, dad, granddad and grandma.  We even spent a holiday in our native Egypt when Agatha was old enough.  She soon was joined by her brother, Abbas, named after dad, of course.  The hookah business was still going strong and we also sold rugs from our suppliers overseas.  Life couldn't be much better and those around us were becoming more accepting to our blended lifestyle.  We were simply elated that the world was more open and fear was less prevalent.  What Agatha and Abbas would become, though, that would be entirely up to them, but every step with them along the way was enthralling ! 

('One Fine Day' by Sting plays at the end, but an instrumental version of it.   We see the family celebrating a holiday together with 'Fatima' playing in the background.  Credits roll, followed by bloopers.  Inspiration for this script comes from my many Arabic friends the world over.  I love you immensely and someday I will give you a hug in person as well as my unending gratitude.  I couldn't want for a better extended family and such caring brothers and sisters in the Faith !) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers