The Fun Factory

Synopsis:  Vincent and Ruby Borgias are a couple desperately trying to conceive a child.  All the while, they live in a dismal community, Cascade Falls, which has no room for frivolity.  In spite of that, Vinny opens the factory in order to capitalize on the innovation, ingenuity, imagination and curiosity without robbing them of their childlike natures.   He also instills life-skills to prepare them for the real world outside of the innocence of childhood and a safe place to go when there are no other places in the neighborhood.   Can the couple return a sense of joviality to the community and also manifest their dreams of having children of their own ?  


~*~CAST~*~
Vincent Borgias:
Ruby Borgias:                        
Maurice Borgias: (Vincent's dad)
Sedona Borgias: (Vincent's mom)
Nelly Sedona Borgias: (daughter, fraternal twin) 
Moe Eli Borgias: (son)  
Dr. Piya Harabim: (their OBGYN/family doctor)       
Joey Magistrano:  (Sephie's bestie)
Persephone 'Sephie' Tsukalos:
Emma Farmer:
Isis Long:  (Emma's bestie)    
Mayor Xander Hancock: (the bourgeois type) 
Whitney Hancock: (his wife) 
Anthony Hancock: (his son)
Marylin 'Mary' Hancock: (his daughter, youngest in the family)
TJ Hancock: (baby of the family)
Hershel Hancock: (Xander's deceased dad)

Scene 1--Preparing For the Grand Opening of the Fun Factory 

Vinny:  This is it, Ruby, ma petite.  Tomorrow's when we open the Fun Factory to the public. 

Ruby: (embracing him from the side) 
I am as avid as you are. 

Vinny:  Pop and mom would've been so proud.  However, I fear that I'm nowhere near ready.  I just don't measure up to pop's greatness. 

Ruby:  (holding him closely and putting her head on his chest)  Papa Moe entrusted you with the Fun Factory *because* of your skill, especially in motivation.  You're preparing the youth of tomorrow for the real world, but without robbing them of their ingenuity.   You have a real gift with children.

Vinny: (sensually places his hand atop her's on her belly)  Someday, we'll have our own.

Ruby:  I'm certain of that.  I haven't given up hope, Vinny.  (pause)  Good ol' Moe.  It's like yesterday he was bequeathing the Factory to us.  I can imagine his mischievous grin from the other side just now.

(Flashback) 

Maurice: (holding up Vinny's countenance)  Now, now.  No time for tears.  It isn't time to mourn, yet. 
When I pass from this world, I won't be in pain any longer.   I know that the Factory will be in perfectly able hands.   Also, I predict someday, I'll see our little ones running around having a blast.  You and your jewel have a good life.  (coughs a little bit)  Remember, laughter is a language all understand and it heals a great number of ills. 

(He dies quietly while his hand slips from Vinny's face.)

(Present day)

Vinny: (tear slips from his eye)

Ruby: (getting a little teary eyed as well) I know, it's hard living without mom and pop, but they're in here.  (pats his heart)  Tomorrow is a big day.  We'd better rest up so we can be amply prepared. 

Vinny:  (turns around, takes her in his arms and kisses her deeply)  You're right, my vidalia. 

(He sings 'I See the Moon, The Moon Sees Me' as he kisses his wife and they go to sleep for the night, nestling close together with Ruby facing him.) 

Scene 2--The Mayor Isn't Amused

Vinny: (in front of a very anticipatory crowd) Without any further ado, Fun Factory is open for business !   (Sandstorm plays in the background while the kids rush in.  The Mayor's child makes a dash to enter, but he's held back. TJ and Mary are already inside, sprinting beyond their eldest brother.)

Tony:  Father, let me go !  I want to see what this Fun Factory is all about.  Mary and TJ went, why can't I go ? 

Xander:  That was an oversight due your mother and myself.  I'll let them go, but they'll be discouraged from having any ideas or imagination of their own.  They'll only do what *I* dictate them to.  After all, they're going to own the company someday. 

Whitney:  Listen to your father.  He's always right, Tony. 

Tony:  Mom !  (pouting)  Let me go, please. 

Whitney:  Xander, let me turn him loose.  What's the worst that could happen ? 

Xander: (defeated, unenthusiastic and drolly)  Fine.  (pause, lets go of his shirt collar) 

Tony:  Woo-Hoo !  (he runs in, and starts making new friends, and reconnects with his siblings)

Xander:  (walks up to Vinny) You do realize I oppose everything this establishment stands for.  Having the clout I do, I can get bulldozers, backhoes and wrecking balls up here in weeks, hell, DAYS time. 

Whitney:  Xander, no. 

Xander: (glowers at her)  Since when did I allow you to have thoughts of your own.  Know your place, Whitney.

Whitney: (quiets down)

Vinny:  Xander, you may try to threaten me all you like, but there is no way I will allow you to tear my factory down. 

Xander:  (stands face to face with him, seething)  Oh, I will find a way to get rid of the factory AND you one way or another.  We don't need your kind of influence here.  Cascade Falls is pragmatic, forward-moving, practical, analytical and logical.  You.  Well, you're just a sentimental optimistic FOOL.  Dreamers don't change the world, realists do. 

Vinny:  (watches him pivot on his foot and walk away in a huff, his children follow closely after him in a perfect line, like ducklings once they're imprinted to their parents, he shakes his head) 

Ruby:  I was getting aggravated with his negativity.  It took every fiber of me not to just slap him (through gritted teeth) hard. 

Vinny:  People like that only understand one language, and that's money. 

Ruby:  (wraps her arm around him) Invite him inside the Factory.

Vinny: (incredulous look)  Are you loony ?  I mean, I know we both are, but still...

Ruby:  (turns around and kisses him full on the lips)  Come on, just give it a chance.  

Vinny:  You think it'll convince him not to destroy the Factory ?  (stroking her hand affectionately)

Ruby:  I have an excellent premonition.   You just might be surprised.   Right now, I know we're both exhausted with how well your first day has come and gone.  Let's get dinner and settle down for bed.

Vinny:  I'll cook tonight.  How does good old fashioned lentil soup sound ?

Ruby:  Oooh, like mama used to make !
I can't wait. Your soup is always so hearty ! 

(Scene fade)

Scene 3--Turnabout

Vinny:  (opening up the Factory again to a slew of eager children. Each door they open leads to opportunities beyond their wildest imaginations) Yes, go ahead !  Explore !  Play ! Invent !  Manifest destiny !  Change the world !  Be yourself ! 

('Take Me To Your Best Friend's House' plays in the background.) 

Xander:  (Walking up to him)  You do realize that before long, I will own all this land and the factory will become mine.   It will no longer be a worthless waste of time.  

Vinny:  Actually, I wanted you to come and see what the factory is all about. 

Xander:  If I do and I am still unconvinced, I still get to re purpose it once I claim the property rights. 

Vinny:  That's all well and good, but I have a feeling you'll be changing your tune fairly soon, Xander. 

Xander:  (scoffs) 

Vinny:  (large, effervescent smile)  Come on ! 

(Opens a door and a canvas awaits Xander, complete with paints.) 

Xander:  How on *earth* ?

Vinny:  Don't ask how, just be. 

Xander: (quizzically looks up and down at the canvas and stars painting, and something Van Gogh springs from his brush.  It's a picture of the ocean, he nearly weeps)  It's been ages since I lifted my brush to the canvas. 

Vinny:  You still have the gift.  That work is mesmerizing.  The use of color, the masterful lines, the light and shadow playing against each other.  It is nothing short of glorious. 

Xander:  My father never liked the fact I wanted to be a painter.  He rarely ever let me rest from becoming just like him, following in his footsteps. 

Vinny:  Yet, you turned out to be a great man.

Xander:  How can you say that ? I wanted to tear this place down.  Not after seeing how wondrous it is.   This is pure magic.   So anyone can come in here, no matter the age and whatever they wish will appear ?

Vinny:  That's the point.  It is whatever you make it !  You are the creator !   

Xander:  It sells itself.   (wipes his eyes)  I'm sorry I was so harsh before.   I just didn't see in your many hues.   I was so monochromatic. 

Vinny:  If I said I told you so, you wouldn't be mad.  Would you ?

Xander:  (chortles and then laughs heartily) No, why ever should I be mad ? (over the phone)  Yes, call them off.  You're the dunderhead.  Just do as I say.   (hangs up phone)  I think this factory has great potential.   I'm not ashamed I let my children romp about in it. 

Vinny:  I bet your wife would be proud of you.

Xander: (chagrined)  Yes, and I haven't been a good husband to her.  I know it will take a while, but I will become the friend she needs. 

Vinny:  I can help.  That is, if you'll accept my assistance.   Free of charge of course.

Xander:  You must be an angel. 

(There's a montage to 'Motown Feeling' while Xander learns how to become his best version.  In time, we don't even recognize the splendid man he has become.  Scene change.)

Scene 4--The Surprise

('A Year Passes' scrolls by in expressive font on screen.)

Vinny:  (narrating)  We had different clientele each day.  What was even better than the paycheck that came from donations biweekly was our visit to our OBGYN.   Ruby and I had been trying to get pregnant for a year now. 

Harabim:  I have superb news for you both.  

Ruby:  It can't be ! 

Harabim:  It is !   All that healthy living has made it possible for you to finally conceive.  Looks like you're having *twins*, my dear.

Ruby: Twins ?

Vinny:  (sputtering)  T-t-t-t-twins ?
Check that ultrasound again, lady.
Twinning is not common in the Borgias family.

Ruby:  It was on my side.  Recessive gene, Vinny, my darling.

Vinny:  Well, smack a postage stamp on me and call me mail.   

Harabim:  They're perfectly healthy.  Do you want to know what you're having ? 

Both: No !  (they laugh heartily, and she feels a little stirring in her uterus)  Ohh, my !   I can feel them !  This is so exciting !  Vinny (gets teary eyed)  we're going to be parents ! 

Vinny: (kisses her eyes)  At last, our request has been answered.  (narrating)  And in time, Nelly and Moe were born.   They came to know the Factory and had their favorite rooms, although they were always spontaneous where they liked to show up to welcome new guests and their frequent friends.   We didn't know what they would become, nor the events that waited them down the road but they already knew the ins and outs of business and that imagination , as Albert Einstein said, is power, even more powerful than knowledge.   They would stoke its flames and keep its torch burning for all to see, lighting the way for brighter days to come.  

('Just Like Fire' plays as the credits roll and we see everyone having the time of their life in the factory as it changes its facets and colors.   The rooms are also ever changing with the desires of those who have gone into it.  For instance, it could be someone who adores butterflies.  The room will fill with them and take the dreamer/wisher with them, or she will have butterfly wings of her own to take flight.) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers