Pioneers



Synopsis:   In a future where almost everything is automatic, a terrorist hacks into the grid forcing Pleiades shuttles to Kepler 7 to remain grounded as well as NASA experiments above or on the ground below.   Dr. Takeshi Tanaka, his wife Ryoko, his daughter Akame and sons Kyoshiro and Hoshi are all responsible for the Pleiades shuttles and Tanaka Aeronautics Incorporated.   Akame has a man chasing her who happens to be the terrorist who hacked into the system and he agrees to 'enliven the grid' only if she gives him a chance for one date.  Predictably, she says 'no'.  With the help of her brothers, family and their massive corporation, they find a way to neutralize the manic stalker named Robert Chanticleer.  Once he is put away for good, he starts a new life and repents.   Akame then gives him a chance to date her once he is fully well. 

~*~CAST~*~
Dr. Takeshi Tanaka: (Akame's dad)
Dr. Ryoko Tanaka: (Akame's mom)
Dr. Akame Rose Tanaka: (baby sister)
Dr. Kyoshiro Tanaka: (elder brother)
Dr. Hiroshi Tanaka: (middle brother)
Robert Tiberius Chanticleer: 
Jessica Chanticleer: (his mother)
Arturo 'Turo' Vasquez:  (one of Rob's many friends from school)
Richard DuLac:  (Rob's friend)
Timothy 'Tim' Eddington: (Rob's friend)
Astronaut Burt Copernicus:
Bernard Copernicus: (his dad)
Veronica Copernicus: (his mom)
Esteban Greller: (Kirsten's dad)
Clara Greller: (Kirsten's mom)
Astronaut Kirsten Greller: 
A vast crew of operators:
Cameraman #1 (Kyle):
Anchor Yvette Jansen: 
Police officer: 
Neil DeGrasse Tyson:
Dr. Stephen Hawking: 
Pastor Tea Sakura: 

'I try never to understand, it's called keeping an open mind.'--The 12th Doctor, Doctor Who: The Magician's Apprentice

Scene 1--Conveniences
Akame:  (narrating) We've come so far in the future that nearly everything is automated.  Certain things require a human touch, such as operations in the hospital, delivering children and care of the sick and dying.  Not many are ill due to our advancements, though.   We have come to a point now that we as Earthlings need to find another place to call our home.   Thanks to Hubble's discoveries in our Universe, we found Kepler 7.  From the time I was an infant, my father, mother and brothers instituted Tanaka Aeronautics Incorporated and the Pleiades shuttles.  It was all due to my brothers' experimentation that we developed warp capability.  Hiroshi was the first to begin exploring Kepler 7 in earnest and our finest astronauts began testing, sampling and returning data.   Others, such as Burt Copernicus and Kirsten Greller have made countless travels, keeping us updated on colonizing our new home.  It will take some time to truly understand this wild, wonderful, tropical world, but before long, it will become our new home.   Field tests will be done here on Earth to compile all the data we need for ourselves and future generations before the planet becomes extinct.    With our resources dwindling as they are, we have a few more thousand years, but at least we are prepared.  With our shuttles and the discovery of a never-ending crystal power source on Kepler 7, we are closer to discovering new worlds to venture to and explore.    Indeed, it is an exciting and terrifying time to be alive and I can't help but say I am proud that our family is the first to breech the containment of our stratosphere and sojourn to other realms.  
(Through all of this, we see a slideshow of everything we as humans have achieved up into this point, being the year 2020, which is mentioned at the start with a photograph of Earth as seen from outer space.  The technology humanity has achieved is seen in rapid succession, including AI doing many of the menial tasks that were once relegated to the lower class and migrant workers.  Flights of the Pleiades shuttles are shown from Earth to Kepler 7.   Kepler 7 resembles our planet with an eerie similarity, however, it is a very tropical planet that exists in a balmy 75 degrees constantly.  There are no winters, springs or falls here and there are plenty of beachfronts.   Many animals exist here that don't on Earth and not much information exists on them now.  The duo of Burt and Kirsten gather all the information they can on all existing matter; plant, animal, mineral, etc.  When the crystal source of energy is discussed, we can view the two astronauts mining it without need of their spacesuits and discovering it is infinite in power.   They begin using it for all of their technological devices, and it shows immense promise.)  

Scene 2--Spectacular News from Kepler 7 and Home 
(At Tanaka Aeronautics, also mentioned on screen) 
Takeshi:  (jovially)  Good morning, everyone.   I trust we all had a tremendous night of sleep.   
Hoshi:  (nodding)  That we did, dad.    
Kyoshiro:  I bet you're just pleased to be back on terra firma, Hoshi. 
Hoshi:  That I am, Kyo.   I sort of miss it though.   Burt and Kirsten have been studying Kepler 7 and from what I hear the photographs and data are returning to us in real time.  
Akame:  How long has it been now ? 
Kyoshiro:  I think it has been at least 5 years that the Ptolemy rocket set off on its endeavor. 
Akame:  (wistfully)  Seems like almost yesterday.  
Ryoko:  It's all so thrilling !   Don't you think ? 
(They all nod)   
Akame:  I'm happy the ground crew here keeps everything running smoothly. 
Ryoko:  (there's a notification on screen)  It's the Ptolemy crew.   Bring it up, bring it up !
(The operator gladly complies)  
Kirsten:  Greetings, Ryoko, Takeshi, everyone ! 
(Everyone is elated to hear from their friends on Kepler 7.  They all applaud, whistle, and cheer.)
Burt:  (laughs)  We weren't expecting such a warm reception.   Thanks, everyone.  
Takeshi:  How is Kepler 7 treating you ? 
Burt:  Much more hospitable than planned.  Animals here are much larger, but oddly, tamer than the ones on Earth.   Don't let their size fool you.   We leave them alone though.  We only eat some foul and fish as well as vegetables.  
Kirsten:  The vegetation here is incredibly succulent.  Not only that but the energy boost from it is simply amazing.   We hope you get everything we've compiled so far. 
Kyo:  It's quite a bit of data.  It'll take us a while to sift through all of it.  
Kirsten:  We know you're all capable of putting together a manual.   We'll all need it one day when we make our mass exodus from home.  
Akame:  It'll be a bittersweet day.   A farewell and homecoming.  
Hoshi:  (light laugh)  Ironic indeed.  
Burt:  We're thinking of coming home for summer vacation though.  
Takashi:  You're more than welcome.  It's been a long time since you've seen your original home.   Take a vacation, both of you.  You've deserved it. 
Kirsten:  Takeshi, bless your magnanimous soul.  
Burt:  We'll be coming home soon.  Kirsten and I have taken our new rover, Astrid to execute analysis on the soil, crystals, water and other indigenous species here.   Before long, Astrid will help build compounds for habitation and we can begin our emigration. 
Ryoko:  I have superb news about all of this.   The president wishes to see you in Stockholm and award you the Nobel for all the research you have done.   We are to be part of the ceremony as well.  
Kirsten:  What an honor !  
Burt:  An award and a vacation.  Things couldn't get any better.   We will be departing tonight and we'll finalize the date on when we will be flying to Sweden.   Until we see you on the ground.  Ciao !  
Kirsten:   Arrivaderchi !   Hasta la vista ! 
Astronauts:   Ptolemy crew signing off.  
(They all hug each other.)  
Kyo:  Dad, I think this calls for a celebration.  
Hoshi:  Absolutely ! 
Takeshi:  Couldn't agree more.   Everyone, sushi is on me tonight, my place.  
Ryoko:  The servants are going to be busy tonight, that's for certain. 
Akame:  (narrating)  That night was full of revelry, unlike any I had seen before.   Usually after a large celebration comes a time of great trial and tribulation.   Little did I know what we were in for some rough seas ahead.  

Scene 3--All Systems Go ?  
(The Ptolemy crew arrives with much pomp and circumstance and media coverage.  Everything is going splendidly until the media coverage stops suddenly.) 
Cameraman:  What's going on ? 
Yvette:   I don't know, Kyle.   This has never happened before.  
(With one active droid, our villain makes his grand entrance.) 
Robert:  (in the comfort of his home from his computer with a malicious, smug grin on his face)  I'm so glad you're all so inquisitive.   If you want to know what's happened, it's all my doing.  No thanks necessary.  
Yvette:  Who are you ? 
Robert:  Just your average black hat.   I prefer 'Robert' though, Yvette.   I've grown tired of this civilization.  I think we should all just accept our fate and sink into the abyss of extinction.   Entropy is coming.   Let's embrace it with open arms.  
Akame:  (raised eyebrow)  Robert as in Robert Chanticleer ?   You and I were in high school together, working as laboratory partners.  
Kyo:  (whispers to her)  You know this nutjob ? 
Akame:  Of course I do.   Rob and I were friends.  
Robert:  (becoming slightly maudlin)  Yes, always friend zoned.  I wanted more out of you.  
Hoshi:  (to Kyo)  Oh, don't tell me...
Robert:  I will maintain our blackout.  No one comes in, no one goes out.  You won't be able to conduct your little research or trials.   (Mockingly)  Boo hoo !  Poor NASA !   Poor Earth.
Akame:  You have no regard for anyone.  
Robert:  We've become too dependent on technology !   I'm just freeing us all from that burden.   We can live like we once did. 
Yvette:  This guy's a real jewel.   (to Kyle)  Kyle, see if you can hail a frequency to police radio.  It should be unaffected.   We will find where this fiend is and restore order.  
Robert:  (sarcastically)  Oh, drat.  You foiled my plans.   Ah, well.   I would return everything to its former state if Akame would give me the honor of going out on a date with me.  
Akame:   I didn't back in high school and I don't want to now !   You're mad !  
Robert:  Madly in love with you, and never stopped.  
Akame:  (tsks)  I don't care about that.   I hope a little time alone in a jail cell can make you stable.  I don't know what happened to you after all that time, but you aren't the sweet, gentle soul I used to know in the laboratory.  
Robert:   People change, toots.   
Akame:  Yes, and I believe there is still good in you. 
(Split screen and the police have been called to take Robert into custody)  
Jessica:   What's happening ?  Why are the police here ?   Robert Tiberius, young man, if you've been messing around with the power grid, so help me !  
Robert:  I did this for our good mother.  We can get back to square one !  
Police officer:  Tell it to the judge.  You have the right to remain silent.  Anything you say or do will be held against you in a court of law.   You have the right to an attorney.  If you cannot afford one, one will be assigned to you.   
Akame:  (narrating)  It was then that it dawned on me that insanity had clouded my friend's mind and dragged him down a dark corridor.  I was fearful that he'd never return out of it, but I hoped against all hope that the good I knew dwelled within him would emerge once more.   

Scene 4--Restoration
(We see Robert's trial take place, and Jessica testifying as not being aware that her son had any of these capabilities but she did know of his 'extracurricular activities' and proclivities toward rebellious outbursts.  This never manifested until now when Robert finally snapped due to desperation and fear of being lonely forever.  He is pronounced guilty and taken to jail.  Operations of the Aeronautics company are slowly brought back to order.) 
Akame:  (narrating)  The trial went as anyone would have predicted.  Robert was found guilty of shutting down the entire global grid.  His droid had been confiscated, studied and ultimately destroyed.  The officials didn't want another maniac to get their hands on technology like that ever again.   The brightness in Rob's eyes had faded when they were taking him to the jail and the restoration of Tanaka Aeronautics as well as every other vital business had begun.  It took about 5-7 hours just to get everything up and running, but we were able to go to Stockholm in record time and meet our astronaut’s families. 
(At the Stockholm Banquet) 
Kyo:  I can't believe we're going to be introduced by the one and only Neil DeGrasse Tyson !   I have so many questions to ask him.  
Hoshi:  I know what you mean, bro.  I can barely keep myself from fanboying all over the place.   I'm doing my best to keep from hyperventilating.   (chuckles a bit anxiously) 
Takeshi:  Don't worry, boys.  We're all here together and we'll conquer this as a family.
Ryoko:   (comes up close to kiss him) One of the many reasons I adore you, anatayo. 
Takeshi:  (pushes his glasses up and lowers his gaze, due to blushing) 
All children:  (a bit immaturely, jesting)  Ooooo.  
Takeshi:  Stop that !  
Ryoko:  The gala is about to start.  Neil's coming on stage ! 
Hoshi:  (squeals as quietly as he can) 
Kyo:  I know, right ?   I can barely stand it !   Not only that but Dr. Hawking is here, also.  I've died and gone to quantum physics heaven. 
Stephen:  Greetings ladies and gentlemen.  It is my absolute pleasure to introduce the intrepid explorers and innovators that made our continuing exposition and future colonization of Kepler 7 a reality.   Firstly though, and this man needs no introduction, our keynote speaker will be awarding our brave astronauts and engineers.   Neil, I turn the podium over to you.
Neil:  For many years we have dreamed to set our sights beyond the stars outside our boundaries.   It's thanks to the efforts of Dr. Tanaka and his team that we have a home to call our own in a few more years.    It is my honor to present Dr. Tanaka, his wife, his children, Burt, Kirsten and the employees of Tanaka Aeronautics with the Nobel Peace Prize.   Your efforts will go down in history for eons to come.   Our thanks and recognition pale in comparison to what awaits us soon.   Truly, the possibilities are infinite, just as my contemporaries predicted.   May we never stop being intrepid explorers on the journey science leads us on.  
(The audience claps and the plaudits only become louder when Tanaka, his family and friends receive the Nobel.   Afterward, Kyo and Hoshi are talking and laughing with Neil and Stephen, having a blast.   Akame talks to Kirsten and Burt's parents.) 
Bernard:   It's surreal seeing Burt receive such an auspicious, lofty trophy.  
Victoria:  We're so happy for him !  (They all hug him) 
Burt:  Mom, dad...You're embarrassing me.  
Bernard:   So ?   We're proud of you !   We always knew you were something special.  
Esteban:   It must be so unusual, Kepler 7.   But to you, you talk about it like it's nothing new.  
Kirsten:  Believe me father, every time Burt and I set out on Kepler 7 every single day.  
Clara:  It's odd, really.  Thinking that someday it'll be our home and saying goodbye to our old one. 
Kirsten:  We're never really saying 'goodbye' to Earth.  Our history, science, technology, humanity, all of our attributes, good and bad, will be recorded for posterity and will be coming with us.  
Burt:  That way we can learn from our past and not make similar mistakes on our new earth.  
Akame:  It's all too wonderful.  A bit daunting, but marvelous.   I'd love to be staying but our family has to close the factory for the night and head to bed.  
Kirsten:  We'll be turning in, too. 
Esteban:   It was such a treat meeting you in person. 
Clara:  We're such big fans !  
Victoria:  Best of everything in your future endeavors.  
Akame:   Thank you.   I have to go fetch my brothers.  If I don't I'll be stuck here until the wee hours of the morning !   Not that I mind, but we all need a good night's rest if we're going to get the Pleiades shuttles up and running and do the necessary maintenance on the Ptolemy for the next launch.    (narrating)  It had been a sublime night and I had the chance of meeting my brothers' idols.  We all took a photograph together, said our farewells, turned the company off for the evening and went to bed.   I didn't know what was going to happen but I had a feeling eventually everything would turn out for the good.  

Scene 5--A Second Chance 
(A transition of sunrises and sunsets is seen and we see Robert going through a program where he is helped to reform himself.   He is encouraged to use his hacking abilities to stop would-be criminals from stealing secrets and turning the world we know it upside down.) 
Robert:  (sitting on one side of the glass)  Hi, mom.   Good to see you again. 
Jessica:  I'm glad to know you're turning your life around.   It's no good allowing any kind of demon to corrupt you.  
Robert:  That was in the past.   I've grown up, ma.  I'm a better person. 
Jessica:  I can sense that about you.   You're different, like you have purpose. 
Robert:  I want to try something again though. 
Jessica:  Robby, no.   What if she's moved on ?  It's been 10 years now.  Dr. Akame Tanaka is probably married with her own family.  
Robert:  That's not true, mom.   She and the crew at Tanaka Aeronautics have been successful in colonizing Kepler 7.  There have been experimental groups boarding the Pleiades shuttles and traveling there to see if the conditions are indeed hospitable.  So far, nothing adverse has happened.   We've even got agriculturists, architects, scientists, et al., making certain more of us can make the transition there without incident.  
Jessica:  I don't want you getting hurt.   Akame seems like the type who is a strong, independent woman.   She's content in being single.  
Robert:  Mom, I know you mean well, but how will I know what will happen unless I try ? 
Jessica:  (sighs in exasperation)  Fine.   It's your life.   You're still my little boy.  If this blows up, don't forget...
Together:   I tried to warn you.
Rob:  I know, I know ma.   I love you.   In a few more days, I'll be out and about in the real world, back to the job I knew and loved.   I'm working for the benefit of mankind this time though.  
(Scene fade)  
(At home, reading a book by Michio Kaku, a huge gleeful smile encompasses her face.) 
Akame:  (blissfully)  Doctor Kaku, so much of what you've said has been fulfilled.   I can't wait to see if your other predictions come to pass.  (the phone rings, causing her to fumble her book and catch it in midair, placing it back on an end table.)  
Akame:  Tanaka residence, Akame speaking.  
Rob:  Guess who ?
Akame:  Robert ?  Really ?   Are you out of jail ? 
Rob:  Yes, on good behavior and working for the right people.   I just came home from work and decided to call you.   Coincidentally enough, your information was still on my cell !  Imagine that !  
Akame:  This is all such excellent news.  I am so happy for you, Rob.   Why did you think of calling me, though ?   I'm so busy I barely even have time to sleep nowadays. 
Rob:  (laughing)  Maybe I'm a bit loopy, but I thought I would give it the old college try.   Ok, here it goes... I was wondering if you would be so kind to go out on a date with me ?
(winces, expecting the worst) 
Akame:  I have been giving it quite a bit of thought, and to be honest, I want to give you another chance. 
Rob:  You truly have a heart of gold.  
Akame:  What better way to get to know someone than to go on an excursion with them ?  You are my friend, I know quite a bit about you already.   I'd love to know how you have changed though.   What do you suggest ? 
Rob:  (chuckles)  There's a Mongolian place I have been dying to try but have been to chicken to ever enter.   Would you want to go there ?
Akame:   Funny thing, I've been the same way.   I've got an opening this weekend.  Will you be free say about 5:00 pm ? 
Rob:  (looking up schedule on his computer)  Yes, sure looks it.   I can't wait to actually see you again.   It'll be like old times. 
(scene fade)  
Scene 6--The Last Meal on Earth
Akame:  (narrating)  In a way, it was sorrowful, since we would be saying goodbye to conventional ways of eating.   More natural methods would be instituted, but personally I didn't think it such a bad thing.   Our earth had become so depleted at this time that we were forced to make the sojourn to Kepler 7.   Colonies were already being built; we learned using the infinite crystal energy there wasn't going to harm the environment.   Domesticated pets still existed and adapted well to the climate of Kepler.   The history we had made on Earth was still very much a fabric of ourselves, but Rob and I knew we were making history presently and that was the most exciting, prestigious moment for the both of us.  
Rob:  (reaching across the table to take her hand in his)  Do you know how long I have wished to touch you ? 
Akame:  No.  (blushing) 
Rob:  Since high school, and now I have the delight and honor of doing so !   I know it's a bit soon and maybe a bit forward, but I do love you, Akame Tanaka.   That has never stopped.   Strangely enough (laughs lightly) my love for you was what kept me going and what caused me to ultimately transform myself.  
Akame:  I'm flattered.  
Rob:   Don't be flattered, it's I that am humbled just being in your presence.  
Akame:  (squeezes his hand)  Your new work really looks good on you.  You didn't have to wear a suit, you know.  It's casual dining. 
Rob:  I know, but I wanted to make a good impression on you.  (winks) 
Akame:  You have.   So, you're doing work for the Fed now, counter hacking.
Rob:  Ironic.  I know right ?
(They laugh) 
Akame:  You are such an egghead, though.   Glad you can do good with your abilities, it truly suits you.   
Rob:   This is what heaven must be like.   Being so close to an angelic being.  
Akame:  (blushing again)  Rob !   You're making me flush.  
Rob:   I enjoy it.   Everything I say, though, is true.   (looks at her watch)  Oh, shoot !   It's so late.  I'm so sorry I kept you out until the wee hours.  
Akame:   Don't be.   I've enjoyed all of this thoroughly.   (patting his hand)  I regret it has to be over so soon.   Wish I could freeze time and make this moment last forever. 
Rob:  You are truly beautiful.   You know that, right ?
Akame:  (tittering)  I have only heard my family tell me that, but never heard it from you. 
Rob:  You'll be hearing it at least 10 times or more a day.   (they laugh) 
Akame:  (narrating)  The reboot of our relationship had gotten off to a good start and only continued from there.   Robert had become the man I always knew he was; compassionate, intellectual, brave, full of integrity and optimism.   From our friendship blossomed a life-long romance that only rekindled with time and patient cultivation.  

Scene 6--The First Keplerian Wedding  
(2 years later appears on the screen as well as a subtitle, 'Kepler 7') 
Rob:  (straightening his tie, clearly a bundle of nerves)  Arggh, this dumb thing won't stay put.  It's always cockeyed.  
Richard:  (adjusts his tie)  There, Rob.  Now it looks picture perfect.   Ever such the dapper gent, you are !  
Rob:  Thanks, Rich.   Tim, Turo, I couldn't be gladder you're here for me in my time of need. 
Arturo:  Last time we saw each other was during our high school reunion and that was (dramatically) sooooo laaaaaame.   This, though, is quite the shindig.   I can't believe that we have celebrities here. 
Rob:  (hands over his ears)  Don't remind me.  I wanted this to be a quiet, low-key affair. 
Rich:  They're lesser knowns, Rob.  
Rob:  Not in the science community.   At least the paparazzi is nowhere to be found.   (wipes his palms on his trousers)  I'm sweating like a horse !  
Arturo:  Here, have some water.  
Rich:  Breath with us.
(They all breathe together) 
Arturo:  You're marrying a beautiful, intelligent, prestigious woman who is responsible for all of us being here.   It's the first wedding on Kepler 7 !  
Rich:  You are both going to be in the history books. 
Rob:  (almost petrified)  Yea, us !    Woo-hoo.   (takes a deep breath and exhales)  It is monumental when one thinks of it, but all I care about is being united with the one woman who rocks my world, whatever world that might be.  
Tim:   (a bit weepy)  That was beautiful, Rob.   You are a poet at heart. 
Arturo: (looking outside at the congregation and being motioned to the altar)  It's time ! 
Rob:  (inhales, exhales) One small step for Robert Chanticleer, one giant leap into married life.  
('Ave Maria' is sung by Akame's mother, brothers and fathers in glorious four part, tight harmony.)  
Akame:   (narrating)  I could still see the boy lingering in the man, but welcomed it.   Still having such a sense of discovery at this age was encouraging.   It was what lead us to this point and what would lead us to whatever lay ahead.   
Tea:  (Calming the din of the crowd)  Dearly beloved, we are gathered here to join in holy matrimony these two pioneers, Akame Rose Tanaka and Robert Tiberius Chanticleer in holy matrimony.   If anyone is against this union speak now or forever hold thy peace. 
(pause)  In that case, allow these two to be joined together as Mr. and Mrs. Chanticleer. 
(As the two kiss, the congregation applauds and cheers.  
Akame:  (narrating)  It was quite the occasion in many ways and one that Robert and I would remember for years to come.   One day we would tell our children of it once they were born as well as the home we had left behind.   They would come to know other realms beyond Kepler 7, but they would always be bound by the thread of love and promise that ties everything in our galaxy together.    As Rob and I looked at the unique constellations yet to be named through our scientists, astronomers and physicists we savored this heady responsibility as well as our possibility of becoming parents on this welcoming but eclectic new world.  We were welcome to participate in this journey together, whatever happened.  Only presently, we savored every nanosecond breathing in the same air, knowing that we were prepared as pioneers, explorers, sojourners in every way for all the bends in the cosmic road we traversed.  

(As we see the two curl up together as man and wife, a POV shot can be seen from their moon roof.  The constellations they were speaking of are shown as a panorama of Kepler 7 is seen.   'The End, but rather a Beginning' appears itself to be written in the stars and 'Renegades' by X Ambassadors plays.  Roll credits.) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers