Fancy Footwork



Synopsis:  Satpaul Patel grows up watching classic films, mainly ones that star Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.  He aspires to be a tremendous tap dancer one day, so after going through countless classes and training and working his way up as a thespian, he leaves India and the land he loves for New York City, hoping to make it big.   

~*~CAST~*~
Satpaul Patel: 
Nalini Patel:  (elder sister)
Krish Patel: (younger brother)
Rama Patel: (dad)
Manjula Patel: (mom) 
Lily Kapoor:  (has crush on Satpaul)
Anwar Sai: (has crush on Lily)
Producer Mavis Williams:
Talent Scout Harold ‘Harry’ Williams: 
Light tech Betty Nyugen:
Sound tech Angelo Nyugen: 
Anne Marie Cho: 
Lynn Rose Cho: 
David ‘Dave’ Cho: 
Emmet Jones: (Satpaul’s roommate) 
Orson Jones: (Emmet’s dad) 
Jamie Jones: (Emmet’s mom) 
Martina Hassan: (Emmet’s girlfriend with connections)
Amir Hassan: (Martina’s dad)
Toni Hassan:  (Martina’s mom)
New York Native: 
‘I’m the journey, you’re the destination.’—a song from Diwali, one of SRK’s latest films
‘The wind cannot defeat a tree that has strong roots.’—quote from The Revenant
          ‘I am like a reed, stress blows through me like the wind.’—anonymous inspirational quote I always saw in Math Lab going to U of I, I was there quite often, LOL 
‘People are the same everywhere, it’s just human nature.’—Kabhira, Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara


Scene 1—A Youngster’s Ambition
(‘Beware the Boys’ is playing in the background while the family celebrates Diwali.   Satpaul lights a sparkler for his younger brother, Krish.) 
Rama:  That was very generous of you, Satpaul, lighting that sparkler for your brother.  
Krish:  I could’ve lit it by myself, you know, dad ! 
Jula:  And burned yourself like last time ?  
Krish:  (chagrinned)  You guys still remember that ?  I was just a toddler !  It’s not like I had the dexterity that I have now !  
(they laugh) 
Jula:  Another new year, another marvelous start.  
Lini:  There’s so much to look forward to.  My dreams are beginning to become reality. 
Krish:  Really, Lini ?   That’s so awesome !   Did you get accepted into that college ?
Lini: (hugging him from the side and tousling his hair)  Sure did, Krish.  I’m going to be a nurse someday. 
Krish:  (smiles)  What a lofty ambition.  I want to be a social worker just like papa. 
Rama:  (makes a victory gesture and claps Krish on the shoulder)  I knew it !  That’s my boy !  What about you, Satpaul ?
Satpaul:   (a bit bashfully)  You’ll laugh. 
(Different family members at different times):  No, we won’t.  We believe in you.   We support you no matter you want to do. 
Satpaul:  You know I’ve been dancing my entire life, acting, singing and playing the guitar.    Becoming a huge Bollywood star was never really a plan of mine.  I want to dance for a lifetime, just like Fred Astaire, my idol !
Jula: (becoming saddened)  That means you’re going to leave us, everything you’ve ever known and loved. 
Satpaul:  Guys, please, no.  Don’t cry…
Krish:  You can’t leave, Satpaul.   We love you !  The theatre troupe is going to be lost without you. 
Lini: Your dance partner, Lilly is going to be heartbroken. 
Satpaul:  (lighthearted laugh)  It’s just a crush.  She’ll get over it. 
Jula:  (bawling)  I don’t think we ever will though. 
Satpaul:  (crying as well)  I won’t know unless I try.  It’s not as if I am going away forever.   My lappy’s going with me.  I’ll try to Skype you as much as I can.  
Rama:  (kissing his cheeks)  We know you can do it.  I can’t believe it.  Our children, they’re growing up so fast.  
Satpaul:  (narrating)  Yes, that’s my family.  We’re all a bit emotional when it comes to goodbyes but they knew if I didn’t make the transition to New York, I’d never have a chance to try out my wings and see if I could fly. 
(‘Shake Me Down’ plays when Satpaul is leaving his family for New York City.  He waves goodbye in the plane even though they can’t see him that high up.  Quick transitional shot of the airplane, landing in New York, looking for his new apartment.  ‘Start Spreading the News’ plays as he is transported into the busy lifestyle of the city.) 
Scene 2—Awesome Roommate
Satpaul:  (narrating)  The tears had been dried from my eyes.  I had slight culture shock on my entry into the States, but it wasn’t much different from where I had grown up near Mumbai.   It was full of noise, hustle and bustle, people clamoring to get to their destinations.  I knew mine wasn’t far behind me.  My parents had arranged for me to be set up with a roomie as soon as I arrived.  They knew no one in the Big Apple, but this guy, oh man, this guy, he was chiller than an ice-cream truck. 
Emmet:  (meeting Satpaul)  Hey !  Satpaul !  I’m Emmet Jones.  I’m the guy your parents told you about. 
Satpaul:  Sharp dresser.
Emmet:  (grin) You noticed.  You ain’t half shab yourself, you know.  Let’s get you settled in.  
(They start moving in, working to ‘Pompeii’ and finishing their work.)
Emmet: I hear you wanna tap.  I’ve got a girlfriend with connections.  She’s been selected to play Elphaba in Wicked.  I’ve got a starring role as Fierro alongside her.  Honestly, I never thought I would be cast because there were so many other better singers than myself, far more talented.   
Satpaul:  That’s dope, man.  I can’t wait to see you opening night. 
Emmet:  I’m going to introduce you to Martina tomorrow.  She’ll hook you up.   Just be warned.
Satpaul:  (raised eyebrow)  Why’s that ?
Emmet:  The producer she knows, Mavis Williams, she’s very particular whom she selects.  Same thing with her talent scout husband.  That entire troupe is very haute couture.  Bring your A game.  (pats back) No pressure.
Satpaul:  (nervous laugh)  Sure, whatever you say, man. 
Emmet:  (chuckling)  You’re gonna be fine !  I see you have a Les Paul.
Satpaul:  Yeah, she’s my baby.  I call her Indira after one of my idols. 
Emmet:  After Ghandi’s wife ?  Sweet, bro !   It suits her, she’s beautiful. 
Satpaul:  Now that everything’s all set up, I’d like you to meet my folks.
Emmet:  No way, really ?  I’ve been curious about them since you’ve come. It must be quite the adjustment.
Sat:  Not really, Emmet.  It’s so much like Mumbai I didn’t really need to acclimate much.  
Emmet:  Fascinating.  Happy for you, and I feel blessed to have such a cool roommate.  You are awesome. 
Sat:  Now you’re just flattering me.
Emmet:  (scoffs)  No, I speak from the heart.  You’ve got a glow about you.  I think you’re gonna go places.   I believe in you.  (pats him on the back)  Let’s get that lappy started, I wanna see your family !  (avidly sits down and waits for him to start up his computer) 
(A bit of the end theme from ‘Diwali’ plays as he connects with his family.)
(They all wave and smile gleefully.  Lilly is there too, acting all shy.) 
Emmet:  Who’s the cute filly in the back ? Girlfriend of yours ?   Eh ?  Eh ? (nudges him) You sly dog. 
Sat:  (mouthing) God, please, kill me now…
Jula:  We can’t hear you…connection must be bad ! 
Rama: I’ll restart. 
Sat:  No papa, we’re alright. I just wasn’t speaking aloud !   (hand behind head, a bit chagrinned, apprehensive laugh) 
Lini:  Satpaul !  How are you, brother ? 
Krish:  Yeah !  What’s the BIG CITY like ? 
Sat:  Not unlike home.  Lots more diversity though.  A bunch of Jewish people.  Very, very cool !   I love it here.  Of course, I miss you guys. 
Rama:  How’s the search for making the big time going ?
Sat:  Well, Emmet here says he has connections.  His girlfriend, Martina is going to introduce me to Mavis Williams tomorrow.  She’s a producer, and her husband’s a talent scout.  
Jula:  That’s an exceptional start, son.  Good on you !  
Lily:  Met anyone special yet ?  (flirtatiously winks at him) 
Sat:  (trying to hide an obvious blush)  N-no.  Not yet, Lily.  I’m sure there are plenty eligible bachelors around in Mumbai who would gladly fight…
Lily: None can hold a candle to you.  You’re the flame, burning brightly in my heart.  
Sat: (lowers face into palm)  Lily, honey…
Lily:  (nearly swoons) He called me ‘honey’ ! 
Sat:  Lily, I’m sure Anwar would love you more than even I could.
Lily: (Screws up her face)  Anwar ?  That scrawny stick ?  There’s barely enough of him to hold on to ! 
Jula:  Ok, ok, Lily. (in Hindi)  Enough.   (English)  Sorry about that, she was really eager to see you and she almost usurped our time together.  So, the city is treating you well ?
Sat:  (giggles)  Yes, it is.  Emmet is so incredible. 
Emmet: (waving)  Hi !  How is it you say, ‘Namaste’ ?   Right !  Namaste. 
(bows, pressing palms together)  
Rama: (very eager, speaking Hindi) Oh, he knows Hindi !  How nice ! 
Emmet:  Sorry, all I know is ‘Namaste’. 
Rama: (quizzical)  How did you understand that then ?
Emmet:  Satpaul’s taught me a little.  Not enough to converse.  I can speak Yiddish fluently, as well as a tad of Mandarin.  I know some Italian and that lends itself to other romance languages I’m familiar with. 
Jula:  Your friend’s a bit of a polyglot.
Sat:  He certainly is.   I wish I could stay and chat but I have to be well rested for tomorrow.  
Lini:  Why’s that, brother ? 
Sat:  I get to try and impress Mrs. Williams. 
(The family becomes extremely excited, maybe a little overly so.) 
Rama: Knock the socks off her, Satpaul my boy ! 
Jula:  Go get ‘em ! 
(They all cheer) 
Sat:  (delighted)  I’m so pleased you are all so supportive of me.  Thanks for the vote of confidence.  (he says his goodbyes and hangs up)
Emmet:  They’re real sweethearts, all of them.  Who’s that Lily chick ?
Sat:  She’s a friend.  Nothing more.  There’s a guy back home in Mumbai who has the hots for her but she always rejects him due to her crush on me.  I’ve done my best to set them up.  Anwar’s a real stand up dude and he’d be far better than I would ever be.   Besides, he’s known her longer than I have.  They were childhood friends.  Who am I to break up a perfectly good friendship ?

Emmet:  You have a heart of gold.  The dame was a stone cold FOX, man.  I mean, hubba wubba (howls).
Sat:  Don’t make me tell Martina on you.

Emmet:  (feeling slightly ashamed)  You wouldn’t !
Sat:  (wriggles eyebrows)  Ha, I had you there for a moment.
Emmet:  Rascal.   Come on, it’s late.  We’d better get bathed and into bed.  Big day tomorrow.  Time to shine bright, like a diamond.
(Scene change)
Scene 3—Making Waves with Mavis
(‘Into the Blue’ plays while Emmet and Sat come to the theatre where Martina is waiting for them.  The whole time, Sat resembles Edward Scissorhands when he is taken outside and sees the world in its entirety. He walks accidentally into someone while walking across the street.)
New York Native:  Hey !  I’m walkin’ over here ! 
Sat: (too happy to care he was yelled out)  And you’re doing a fine job of it, Sir !   Keep up the good work ! 
New York Native: (shakes head, rolls eyes, keeps walking)   
Martina:  (seeing Sat and Emmet arrive. Dramatically with a wide-armed gesture) Welcome to the place where dreams are made !  (somberly) Or where they die horrible, terrible deaths. 
Emmet:  Hiya, sweetie. 
Martina:  Hi yourself, good looking.  (She kisses his cheek)  This is Satpaul.  Looking very debonair.  
Sat:  (prideful, but not overly so)  Pop taught me a few things about style, but I take my cues from Frank Sinatra. 
Martina: Classic Blue Eyes.  Bonus points for that.  Gives you an air of elegance and class. 
Emmet:  And he bares every essence of it.
Sat: (chuckles)  You haven’t seen me dance yet, Emmet.  Don’t go boasting about something you don’t know !  (play punches him in the arm)
Emmet:  (acts mortally wounded)  My arm, my poor, poor precious throwing arm.  Coach, (coughing) I’m not gonna be able to play in the big leagues ever again.  My arm !  (winces)  It’s broken forever !
Martina:  (rolls eyes) Don’t pay any attention to him.  He can get a little overly dramatic sometimes. 
Sat:  Must’ve rubbed off from you, Senorita.  
(She cracks up)  
(The doors open to the theatre and people are practicing.  He sees a very attractive and adorable Chinese lady dancing spectacularly to ‘Canned Heat’ from The Pajama Game.  His eyes meet hers and she stops in slow motion. He hears a remix of ‘Ah Sweet Mystery Of Life (At Last I’ve Found You’).)
Mavis:  (over and over again)  Satpaul Patel !
Emmet:  She means you, string bean.  Get on up there !
Satpaul:  (feeling dumb and inept) 
(He dances to ‘I Can Make Your Hands Clap’) 
Mavis:  (slow clap)  Good, not great, not spectacular. 
Emmet:  (completely stunned, because Satpaul was brilliant) 
Mavis:  Can you do anything else but tap ?
Satpaul:  I can sing, I can play guitar, I can dance other styles besides tap.  I trained, hard at home to get this far.  Please.  Don’t reject me. 
Harry: (whispers to her)
Mavis:  I agree with my husband.  I’ll let you try dancing a duet. 
Satpaul:  I don’t have a partner.   (awkward grin) 
Anne: (volunteering)  I’ll do it. 
(‘Magik Carpet’ by Pogo plays as she moves into the scene by slow motion.  He is completely captivated by Anne and her mystique. )
Satpaul: (whispering)  What are you doing ? 
Anne:  Helping you.  I’m Anne Cho by the way.  I like your style.  I like what you’ve got. 
Satpaul:  (beams) I think we can be a great team.  You’ve got quite the fancy footwork, Anne. 
Anne:  (pure, angelic smile)  Thanks !  Come on.  Let’s show them what we’re working with. 

Satpaul:  Pleasure is all mine, Cherie.   (They dance to ‘Jealousy’ and he sings it, belting it in all the right places, she joining along.)
Mavis:  (applauding loudly)  Extraordinary.  I think I’ve got roles for both of you that’ll be perfect.   Don’t get your hopes up too high, yet.   For now, mazel tov.  You’ve impressed me. 
Satpaul:  (eagerly, energetically bouncing with Anne’s hands in her’s)  YES !
(calms down) I mean…Yes ! 
Anne: (stifles a snicker but notices her hands are just as lovingly clasped around his and she can’t help but gaze at him dreamily)  (she titters and he does as well, mouthing)  We did it !  
Satpaul:  (mouths back) Indeed, we did.  
Toni:  (from the sound/light studio in back)  Hey, love birds !  Get off stage, I have to light these scenes for our next set.  
Anne:  Sure, sure.  (gives him a phone sign, he’s confused by it, and nods anyway) 
Emmet;  She wants you to call her.  Don’t worry, Martina knows everyone in the list who’s waiting to be cast, so, we’ll get you all situated.  You are too smooth, dude !   Way too smooth.
Satpaul:  (teeth glisten)  I suppose I was just born that way.  
(Scene shift) 
Scene 4—Weaving Romance
Emmet:  (pats Satpaul on the back, congratulatory)  I hear you asked Anne out !   Wow, brave move on you, buddy.  
Satpaul:  Striking while the iron is hot so to speak. 
Emmet:  I’m going to be out myself with Martina.  We have to rehearse, but we’ll be out late.  
Satpaul:  Have a tremendous time.
Emmet:  Oh, I know we will.  I’m working on gathering up the courage to propose.   See, thing is, I’ve been dating her for over a year now and I want to take the plunge.  I’ve met her folks and they like me.  My folks get along with hers…
Satpaul:  Don’t wait much longer, man !  Go for it ! 
Emmet:  You’re wise, even though you’re young.  Thanks for the vote of confidence. 
Satpaul: She’s a keeper that one.  You’ve got a real rarity.  (winks) Good on ya.  As for me, I have to make a good impression.
Emmet:  (holds his shoulders)  Don’t take this the wrong way but if I were a lady, I’d totally want to date you, possibly marry you.
Satpaul:  Gee, I didn’t know you cared.  Go out there, sweep Martina off her feet, you dashing dude, you. 
Emmet:  Will do.   Good luck to you too ! 
(Satpaul puts on his best pinstripe suit and heads over to Anna’s place.  ‘Suit and Tie’ plays in the background until he knocks on the door and sees Anna wearing a mesmerizing red cocktail dress.  The height of ‘Fine China’ plays, and his mouth nearly drops, but he puts it back into place.) 
Satpaul:  Holy moley.  You look stunning. 
Anna:  You look pretty debonair yourself, Satpaul.  
Satpaul: (offers her his arm) Shall we ?
Anna:  How chivalrous !  (giggles)  Where to, tonight ?
Satpaul:  A little birdie told me you liked Italian food. 
Anna:  Did Mavis tell you about that ? 
Satpaul:  (cheekily)  I may have mentioned to garner that top shelf info from our producer. 
Anna:  You must be really smooth.  She seems to trust you. 
Satpaul:  (leading her to his car)  Your chariot, m’lady.  (opens the door for her) 
(He takes her to the restaurant, they’re seated al fresco, order and before anything arrives to their plate, he clears his throat.)
Satpaul:  I wrote this for you only recently.   (Brings guitar into his hands, plays ‘Talk To Me, China Girl’) 
Anna:  That’s glorious.  When did you have time to write me a song ? 
Satpaul:  There’s always time for what really matters, my sweet.
Anna:  I love it.  
Satpaul: (takes her hands into his, strokes them)  I love you. 
Anna:  I had a feeling from the moment we met that you did.  
(They have spaghetti together and the iconic scene from ‘Lady and the Tramp’ is recreated.  The kiss is actually shown and fireworks appear in the sky.   They walk away, arm in arm, laughing.) 
Anna:  That is the most endearing gift anyone’s ever given me. 
Satpaul:  It came from my heart ! 
Anna: I know, it certainly shows.  I don’t want this to end though. 
Satpaul: It won’t.  I know we’re going to have to work hard, depending on what we hear from Mavis. 
Anna:  I am so apprehensive !   I can’t wait to hear what she decides. 
Satpaul:  (tenderly pulls Anna into his arms) Whatever it is, it’ll be epic.  (kisses her passionately, and she nearly swoons) 
Anna:  I adore you.
Satpaul:  And I you.  (looks at his watch)  Oh, shoot.  We’ve got to get you home.  I don’t want you getting scolded…
Anna:  (laughing)  What am I 18 ?  
Satpaul:  No, clearly not.  I just don’t want anything happening to you.
Anna:  (hugs him close, nuzzling his chest)  It won’t.
(Takes her home in his car, they share one more romantic kiss and the scene fades.  He seems to float into his room and into bed, reliving the iconic, climactic dance scene  from Diwali in his dreams.) 

Scene 5—Surreal News
Emmet:  (hearing the alarm go off but seeing Satpaul in the kitchen making fritattas, humming ‘Paint it Red’ from Zindagi Na Milege Dobara.) 
Satpaul:  Lazy bones is finally up and about. 
Emmet:  Hush, I had a late night.  Breakfast smells killer, dude. 
Satpaul:  I aim to please.   Besides, we don’t have a lot of time to eat.  You gotta get this into your belly, quick ! 
Emmet:  That I can do. 
(They eat quickly and head to the theatre, awaiting to hear the news that Mavis is about to share with them.)
Mavis:  It gives me immense satisfaction to announce that Satpaul and Anna will be starring in my latest musical about Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. 
Sat:  (nearly weeps at the news, Anne squeezes his hand from the side and beams the largest grin he’s ever seen, mouths)  We got the part of a lifetime !
Harry:  Don’t think it’s gonna be easy though, marshmallows.  It’s an exacting role for both parties.  You’ll be pushed to the limit.  
Anne:  We’re ready. 
Sat: I think we can handle it.
Mavis:  (buoyed)  That’s the spirit !   That’s what I like to see !  Rehearsals start tomorrow, be here 6:00 am sharp.  As for opening night for Wicked, we’re preparing.   Everyone is still killin’ it, but don’t get complacent ! 
Martina:  (dancing up and down on her tippy-toes)  I can’t wait.  I’ve got butterflies. 
Emmet:  (sweetly)  Me too, and not just because of opening night.  I want to ask you something before then, too.
Martina:  (raised eyebrow, quizzically)  Oh ?  Gonna keep me hanging in suspense, huh ?
Emmet:  (teasingly nudges her in the ribcage)  You know it, doll.  Gotta save the very best for last.  Just you wait.  I think you’re gonna love it ! 
Martina:  Knowing you, Emmet, I am guaranteed I will ! 
(Scene shift) 
Sat: (narrating)  And as Mavis had forewarned, it was enervating, exacting, challenging.   There were times I didn’t know whether I was in ecstasy due to immense pleasure or in excruciating pain due to blisters on my feet.  Anne felt the same way, but we never complained.    We finally got the dance sequence perfect, but we had to do it 10 more times just to drill it into memory.   Our show, Fred and Gina, wasn’t going to run until Wicked had run it’s course.  We were fine with that.  
(We see Anne and Satpaul dancing to ‘My Ginger Rogers’ and him spinning Anne into his arms to caress her face softly with his fingertips.  A very intimate, sensual scene.)  
Sat:  (narrating)  At long last, Wicked had its opening night and I was there to witness history.  
Scene 6—In Front of God and Everyone
Orson:  This is awesome !  I can’t believe Emmet finally got a starring role in the one musical he’s always been shooting to be in.
Jaime:  (patting his hand lovingly)  I know, sugar.  It’s quite a blessing.  It’s nice the Hassans could come too.   I just wish the Patels could’ve come from India.  I bet they miss Satpaul dearly. 
Joni:  From what I hear, Jaime, the crew gave him special privileges to film the entire musical so they could watch him work from the sidelines.  He’ll be filming Fred and Ginger later this year.  
Amir:  Wouldn’t it be something if the Patels could come and see him dance?
Jaime:  That gives me an idea.  Let’s have a fundraiser, all of us.  They need to see how far Satpaul has come.  
All (except Jaime): Agreed !  (they all high-five on it at different times)
(The performance yields a standing ovation and the two friends hug off stage.  Martina joins in for a group glomp.) 
Martina:  They absolutely loved us. 
Satpaul:  Everyone was astronomical. 
Emmet:  Only thanks to everyone behind the scenes.  You guys were amazing. 
Betty:  The ovation made it all the more worthwhile.
Angelo:  You couldn’t be more correct, Betty my beauty.  (kisses her hand) 
Satpaul:  Come on, everyone’s waiting.  They want to give us their congratulations in person ! 
Martina:  Then come on, we’re burnin’ daylight ! 
Sat:  (narrating)  The thrill of the crowd, their fawning attention and plaudits regenerated us for the weeks Wicked had its record breaking run.   After the euphoria of that came the bliss of opening night.  None of us knew how it was going to go, but surprises were just around the bend.  
Scene 7—And Scene
(Satpaul and Anne are taking their final bow for ‘Fred and Ginger’, little does he know his family is there, cheering for him the loudest.  Lily is there, but she is with Anwar !) 
Sat:  H-how did you guys pull this all together ? 
Betty:  We pulled together a fundraiser. 
Harry:  We knew how much you loved your parents and how far away they were from you, we even brought your closest friends, too. 
Lily:  Hey, Satpaul.  Long time no see.  Remember Anwar ?
Satpaul:  What did I tell you about Anwar ?  I predicted that !
Anwar:  (coming up to him and hugging him, nearly lifting him off the ground)  Had it not been for your charisma and charm I don’t think she would’ve ever given me a second chance.   Due to your inspiration, I trained daily, and check out these guns.  (shows off biceps and a little bit of his pecs) 
Lily:  (fans self slightly)  He’s my very own Salman Khan !  So dreamy. 
Sat: (laugh) I couldn’t be happier for you both.  
Jula:  Satpaul, my son !  (goes up to him and hugs him eagerly, tears in her eyes, the whole family does so joyously, crying) 
Rama:  How far you’ve come ! 
Sat:  I could say the same for you all.  I’m overwhelmed !  (tears up and bawls jovially)   I’m so happy you’re here.  
Anne:  These are the guys you talk so fondly about.  Now I can see why. 
Sat: (laughs) They’re a little crazy, but I love them.  This is my brother, Krish.
Krish:  Hey, Anne.  Believe it or not, I’m in social work now. 
Sat:  Moving up that corporate ladder, just like pops. 
Rama:  Even superseding me.  Can you believe it ?  (laughs)
Lini:  We’re so proud of you ! 
Sat:  Says my RN sister.  Come on, what you do is far more important…
Lini:  (shushes him)  Still, you and Anne…you were incredible. 
Sat:  Seeing that we have such an auspicious day in order, I wanted to do something special for Anne.   Anne (cups his hand in hers) I have been wanting to ask you this for a while.  I know we’ve only been together for a little under a couple months though.  I feel so strongly, I just got to let it out. 
Anne:  What are you saying, Satpaul ? 
Sat:  Think it over with a song.  (winks at her playfully) (He sings ‘Number 1 at Love’, which is his proposal) 
Anne:  Yes, of course.   You knew that from the beginning. 
Sat:  (triumphant)  Yes ! 
Lynn:  So I suppose this means we can be expecting a wedding sometime soon, eh ? 
David: (a bit exasperated)  Aya !  (in an almost obvious but jesting tone) You’d better get to planning ! 
Sat: (narrating)  That we did.   It was, of all things, a dual wedding.  Emmet and Martina had come to the consensus it would be far better to have two weddings in one chapel.   We merged all of our cultures together, doing each tradition justice.  I will never forget seeing Anne in her wedding dress, looking more like a princess than before.  She only becomes prettier the more I see her.  Our honeymoon will be back home and I will always have ties there and she understands that.   She lets me be myself and loves my family, as I cherish hers.   The future is an open door, full of opportunities.  Frank and Ginger was merely the springboard from which we fly.  Where we go from here, well, it’s anyone’s guess.  All I know is love brought me this far, it can only carry me further.  It’s done the same for my friends, too.  I wouldn’t have had it any other way. 
(We see them dancing to ‘Fusion Wedding’ at the end, whisking themselves away to India to enjoy their honeymoon during the Festival of Colors having a blast and painting their world anew with adventure, love, prosperity and so on.   They dance to Ohm Shanti Ohm and other greats, like Hindustani and end with a remix of Tutti Fruiti, which I think is from Devdas, if I’m not mistaken, correct me if I’m wrong.  I’m not desi, so I can be educated in this area.   Behind the scenes are shown as well as gaffes and bloopers, the cast having fun, etc.  None of that sort of thing can be scripted, I’m certain that the crew will have a ball without my prompting ! Blessings be to everyone, especially to those who inspired it.  As for how this came to be, I thank Thryller2Rayne who came up with the idea.  It would not have been possible had it not been for your incredible, innovative, surreal and cosmic mind, my dear !  I love you !) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers