Cascade



Cascade
Synopsis:  What begins with pollution ends in the entire world being snowbound.  Many die due to hypothermia and scientists scramble for ways to warm the planet once more.

Chapter 1—We Were Warned
      For so many years, climatologists and other environmental scientists had been debating, postulating on how the world would ‘end’.   It was either through fire or ice, and due to the subsequent pollution of our little blue dot, the world had become snowbound.   Many of us had already died due to the bitter cold, but those of us who hadn’t had learned to adapt and make clothing that could handle the gelid temperatures.    I however, was not one to be cloaked in the harsh overcoat of winter forever.   Like my fellow scientists, I wanted to assist them in regaining the warmth of summer.  
      I was in the lab, suited up and ready to begin work on my latest reverse osmosis machine.  Such an experiment had been tried before and my colleague and brilliant husband, Dr. Suresh Kumar had been readjusting some schematics in our makeshift greenhouse.   We had grown all the produce that our tristate area had been surviving on for the last few years.   With a baby on the way, Suresh and I knew that Lani would grow up to be big and strong and have a network of people willing to surround her with love, wisdom and the freedom to do as she pleased, of course, within reason.   

Chapter 2—Fighting Back Depression
      Suresh and myself don’t have SADD, otherwise known as Seasonal Affective Depressive Disorder, but for those in the community that do suffer from this condition, the present earth is the 9th circle of Hell to them.  It’s a horrible existence, coupled with bouts of what seem to be never-ending melancholy.   If Poe were alive, he would find plenty of dark, dismal things to write in this awful climate.  Yet somehow, Suresh and I don’t find it difficult to find positive spins on everything.   The only greenery we see is in the hothouse or ‘greenhouse’ as I call it.  Suresh calls it a hothouse.  It’s rather adorable and charming I think.  One of the many reasons I fell for him other than his massive intellect, spellbinding beauty and incomparable wit. 
 Suresh often tells me he loves me in little ways before we begin our experimentation with the updated reverse osmosis machine.  Sometimes it’s a flower, a poem, a piece of my favorite chocolate recreated by his mad chemistry skills or just a simple embrace from behind, his hands on my ever-growing belly.  I couldn’t be more fortunate to have him in my life as well as the head of our reverse climatology team.   It has taken us years to get our greenhouse to become so fertile.  Now our intentions and attention has been turned to getting our earth warmed up.   So far, the experiments have been unsuccessful but if at first you don’t succeed, you know the rest of the adage.  

Chapter 3—The Millionth Try
      Lani had been born in May on Memorial Day.  That made my mother ebullient.  She said,
      ‘How magnificent, Jolie !  My granddaughter has my birthday !’, she joked.  She knew she would have to be taking care of little Lani while Suresh, I and the rest of the team worked day and night to start playing around with the earth’s climate once more.   We had gone through all the necessary calculations and flux in charting our failures, but we could taste success on the horizon. 
      ‘I made one small adjustment.  Let’s see how it holds out.’, Suresh said.  I felt akin to Igor flipping the switch for Victor in Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein.   The machine began to hum a concert A until suddenly the weather in the greenhouse became warmer and held steady.  We wanted to celebrate because it was not just my ingenious husband’s victory but every scientist in the room’s.  
      ‘We will have to make certain this is consistent with our findings.’, he said, double checking his math.   We would go forward with our testing in the next few days but our experiments would be held off momentarily since a big blizzard was on its way.  

Chapter 4—Stockpiling
      We knew how to survive, and I, having grown up in the upper Midwest, Au Claire, Wisconsin, knew that winters could be a real bitch when they wanted to be.   It was as if Old Man Winter himself sat on his throne and declared ‘None Shall Pass’ from his icy reign.   Old Man Winter sometimes could be a real bastard.   We were going to show him though, right as soon as we had the ability to use an augur to get to our greenhouse again. 
      We were so close to using the Reverse Osmosis Flux that we could virtually feel our weather improving but the blizzard had been harsher than we thought.  Everyone knew how to ride out the storm and it was up to me, Suresh and our team to get the ROF up and running again.   Lani would be left with her grandparents to care for her.  We didn’t know if the mission we were heading on was suicide, but we weren’t doing it out of selfish ambition.  Getting the climate fixed was in everyone’s best interest and it would be like pushing a reset button for good ol’ Gaia.  

Chapter 5—Forging Ahead
      Suresh and I packed the necessary provisions in a rucksack for our journey.  We were outfitted for the gelid weather in our parkas, gloves, scarves and thermal hats against the unforgiving chilly breeze.   Our head scientist, geology professor Doctor Patrick Tyndale started up the augur and began drilling to our greenhouse.   The progress was slow going, but eventually we began making our way through the thick permafrost.    At one point we had to stop midway and make a fire out of what we had lying around.   It was like an episode of Survivorman, just colder and more innovation.    We didn’t let the cold sap our spirits.   Eventually we had gotten to the greenhouse and could start the machine up again, but the ROF was frozen.   Fortunately, Suresh had a solution to thaw the ROF and get it humming.   Seeing him at work got my blood boiling but made me realize we would have plenty of time to be intimate once the warmth had returned.  For now I had my fantasies to warm the cockles of my heart and I know Suresh felt their intention.  I could see it in his dark, chocolate, infinite eyes. 
To Be Continued…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers