Whispers From the Past


Synopsis: When Chloe Parker gains enough funds to purchase an old house she never once realized it was once part of the Underground Railroad. She is visited by two slaves who were lynched and never saw freedom. However, with the help of an exorcist, these spirits are finally laid to rest.

~*~CAST*~*
Chloe Parker:
Brian Parker: (her husband)
James L. Parker: (son to be)
Kimiko Parker: (her mom-in-law)
Frank Parker: (her dad-in-law)
Phyllis Parker: (her grandma-in-law)
Mika Lane: (Chloe's mom)
Ross Lane: (Chloe's dad)
James 'Jimmy' Lane: (Chloe's granddad)
Didi: (a lynched slave)
Willamina: (a lynched slave)
Pastor Doug O'Neal: (exorcist)
Dora O'Neal: (his wife)
Darlene O'Neal: (their daughter)
Connie Kang: (Chloe's bff)
Interested Home Buyer:


Scene 1—The Perfect Home

Chloe: Here we are !

Brian: (hugging her close) That we are, Chloe my peach. It's even more glorious than I imagined.

Chloe: I can't wait to see the inside, Bri.

Brian: Last one in the kitchen's a rotten egg ! I've got the perfect meal to make to celebrate.

Chloe: What's on the menu ? (following him but she beats him inside) Ha ha. Outran you !

Brian: You always do, you quick vixen. (kisses her)

Brian: Menu. Right ! Sweet and sour chicken. Thought maybe you could use a little variety after living of ramen all those years.

Chloe: I ate other things, Brian. (she 'attacks' him with tickles)

Brian: (singing as he cooks for her to 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough') I think we should start preparing little Parker-to-be's room tomorrow.

Chloe: That's a capital idea. Thank goodness we got all those gifts from the baby shower.

Brian: I was thinking James Leo if the baby's male.

Chloe: (kisses his cheek) That is perfection. Granddad would adore that. Leo, though ? Why that ?

Brian: After one of my ancestors, long ago.

Chloe: Interesting. As for if she's a girl, I want to name her Mika Rose.

Brian: After your mom and your favorite flower. Beautiful.

Chloe: Food's starting to smell incredible. I'm famished. (He flips the food flamboyantly and then sets the table, sitting right next to her)

Brian: This is everything I imagined and more, love. ('Nessun Dorma' plays in the background while he picks her up in his arm and carries her away to their bedchambers. The light switches off and all seems to be incredibly well.)

Scene 2—Getting Used to the House

Chloe: (reading note) Sorry to leave so abruptly but had an urgent morning meeting to attend to. Breakfast is made. Crib has been assembled for Mika or James. I send you love and kisses. I found some daisies, but they pale in comparison to your ethereal qualities. How romantic. (breathes in fragrance) He added baby's breath too. How thoughtful. (looks at watch) Almost time for me to go to work myself.

(While she's gone the spirits stir up slightly)
Willamina: Why do we have two white people in our house ?

Didi: I don't know, Willamina. I don't like it. Are they trying to lynch us again ?

Willamina: Didi, don't talk like that. You're scaring me.

Didi: I thought the Railroad was gonna save us. I don't know if they're in league with those other guys or not, but I don't want them here.

Willamina: They're going to be having a baby soon and they just moved in. It would be wrong to force them out.

Didi: Not necessarily 'force', but 'convince'. By the time we're done scaring them, they'll be out of our home and in another county.

Willamina: (caves in) Very well. If we must, then that is what we'll do, sister.

Brian: (Coming home) Hey, Chloe !

Chloe: Hi, yourself, you hard working go-getter ! (wraps her arms around him and kisses him deeply)

Brian: Are you having much morning sickness recently ?

Chloe: No, it's gone. I'm not far along yet, but the last time I saw the OBGYN she said all was well and baby was developing nicely. I'd like for you to go to my next appointment with me. (Shows off ultrasound) Look ! How perfectly proportioned. So tiny and innocent.

Brian: I can't wait until we can feel him kick.

Chloe: (in a hopeful tone) Or her ! (pause) Mom called today as did your mom.

Brian: How are they ?

Chloe: They're out of town but they wanted to come and visit us, see what we've done with the nursery. I had some time to do a little renovation.

Brian: (walks in with her) You've been rather busy, haven't you. This looks fabulous !
I especially love the tropical motif. What's this ? A planetary mobile ? Are we having a little astrophysicist ?

Chloe: I don't know, but it will stimulate her as she grows.

Brian: (walks back out, and the keys have been moved) Uh, honey, did you move my keys ?

Chloe: No, I was with you the whole time.

Brian: Odd. (the lights flicker a bit)

Chloe: I paid the electric bill too.

(Suddenly it becomes very cold, whispers start to become audible, saying such icy, eerie things as 'We don't want you here.', 'Get out', and 'This is our house.')

Chloe: (starting to become a little frightened) Nothing in the listing of the property stated anything about this house being haunted.

Brian: So what if it is ? We're going to stand our ground. Then we'll figure out what is causing this disturbance and deal with it professionally.

(It gets a little colder, cold enough to see their breath.)

Chloe: (pleading Please. We don't mean you any harm. We haven't come here to disrespect you.

(The lights flicker again, but this time they remain on.)

Brian: That...was...freaky.

Chloe: Looks like we should start researching right away.

Brian: (still a bit shaken up) You do that, I have someone in mind to call.

Chloe: (While he's calling their new pastor, she finds the source of their problems) Honey, you'll never believe what I've found...

Brian: (comes to see) Unreal...

Chloe: Precisely what I was thinking. This house was built over the Underground Railroad. Many emancipated slaves found freedom at this juncture, but there were two stragglers who were found and lynched by angry racist mobs searching for them. Their names were Wilimina and Didi, sisters, belonging to one slave master, Richard S. Krieg. Krieg never owned slaves after he heard of his two best workers being lynched. He felt guilty of the crime he had committed. He tried to redeem himself by volunteering in the community but eventually his grief led to dying of consumption. Eugh, what a way to die. That's awfully tragic.

Brian: Real history often is, my soft one. (rubs her back and shoulders)

Chloe: Ahhh, rapture. You really do have magic fingers. So, how did the conversation with Pastor O'Neal go ?

Brian: He says he can be here by the end of the week.

Chloe: Thank goodness. The timing seemed to work in our favor.
I'm going to be going out tomorrow with Connie, though. She has some ideas for baby stuff. She's crazy obsessed with it, now that she's James or Mika's godmother.

Brian: You couldn't have picked a finer godparent though. Connie is a saint, finding shelter animals homes. I'm sure she'll be a sensational babysitter.

Chloe: I'm off. I'm meeting Connie at the mall.

Brian: (dips her and kisses her) Something to anticipate.

Chloe: Well, my my my. What's gotten into you ?

Brian: My desire for you. It never wanes, my dear. Safe travels, sweetheart.

Chloe: (being brought up into his arms, she kisses him, longingly) How I wish it was the end of the night already.

Brian: I'll be tidying up and fishing in the pond out back. Was thinking a fresh fish dinner could do all of us some good.

Chloe: Good thinking. Farewell my angel.

Brian: Have fun with Connie !

(Meanwhile At the Mall appears on the screen...)

Connie: And you didn't know about that before purchase ?

Chloe: No ! It wasn't even listed. No one seemed to have any knowledge of the grounds before we bought it.

Connie: How strange. Why would the community keep that sort of history off record ? It could've been used as a museum, or better yet, a lock down site for Ghost Adventures.

Chloe: I'm honestly afraid to go back tonight. The two women start antagonizing us in the evening before we head off to bed.

Connie: I'd be terrified. (pats your hand) Just hold your head up. (places her hand on Chloe's stomach) I think I can start feeling your baby dancing around in there. Here, feel !

Chloe: Ooo, I hadn't noticed anything before. She's really active. (snickering) It feels so weird, she tickles !

Connie: (tenderly) You and Brian are going to be marveltastic parents !

Chloe: Gee, thanks ! (hugs her) That's the sweetest thing anyone's ever said to me.

Connie: And this is the cutest crib set I have ever seen. I've seen the motif you sent and it should match it pristinely. I got little odds and ends for when the little one arrives.

Chloe: We have so much already though. Thank heaven we have a chest in the nursery. Gotta have room to put other things when our baby grows up.

Connie: You were smart and bought a convertible crib. That's forward thinking !

Chloe: Just embracing what will become and preparing ahead.

(Scene shift)

Scene 3—Disturbances

(Back at home. Brian is admiring his last touches to the baby's room and shifts the photo of he and Chloe ever so slightly.)

Brian: There we go.

Chloe: There's my guy ! (embraces him from behind) Nursery's looking cosmic if I do so say myself.

Brian: (dabs light sweat from his forehead) Yes, and no easy feat, but I got 'er done.

(The lights flicker again)

Chloe: (holding on to Brian, a bit unnerved) Not this again.

(The picture on the dresser is knocked over violently.)

Willamina: Why are you still here ?

Didi: Didn't we tell you ?

Together: This is our home.

Willamina: We won't warn you again.

Didi: Get out while you still can !

(Things around the room start levitating. One knife from the kitchen comes directly at Brian and cuts his face. The lights flicker again and the knife falls to the floor.)

Brian: I'll just...(anxious laughter) put that up.

Chloe: You have to get a hold of Pastor O'Neal. I don't want to leave this place just after we've become slightly comfortable with it.

Brian: (putting the knife up, still quite shaken, taking out his cell phoned calling Doug, a split screen appears) Sorry to bother you at this time of night, but our spirits are highly disturbed.

Doug: Those women certainly sound peeved. Not that I blame them. I'll be there tomorrow. I'm going to start making a vile of holy water for your home's purification. Once the two women know they're dead, they'll depart in peace.

Brian: Doug, I couldn't thank you more. We have to get together, just you , the wife and kids.

Doug: I'm open for some fishin' in your back yard.

Brian: Deal, but half of what you catch will be my stash.

Doug: Fair enough. See you tomorrow night.

(Split screen disappears and Brian holds Chloe close.)

Brian: I don't know if I'm going to be able to sleep well tonight. (shuddering)

Chloe: Neither do I.

(They shiver under the covers together and wait until the next night.)

Scene 4—No More Hauntings

Doug: I know the midnight hour is almost at hand. I've already sprinkled salt and holy water around your house. Now I'm just waiting for the spirits to manifest.

Brian: What are the sage and white candle for ?

Chloe: I know about sage ! It's a cleanser, not at all sure why Doug brought a candle.

Doug: That's very simple Chloe. To give me light and to coax the spirits to the Other Side.

Brian/Chloe: Oh yeah. Makes sense.

Doug: Spirits, I don't mean to disturb you. I just want to talk, nothing more.

Willimina: Disperse from our land !

Didi: We were gentle with our warnings before. Now receive our wrath !

(Things around the house start rattling. It's enough to make Brian and Chloe clutch to each other desperately, scared out of their wits.)

Doug: You two have been deceased for quite some time now. These two only want to live in your house. They don't mean any disrespect.

Chloe: (terrified) What he said !

Willimina: (dubiously) Is this so ?

Didi: I didn't want to believe it. I didn't think the lynching actually killed us. How silly.
(She laughs)

Willimina: I'm stupefied. I am so sorry.

Didi: (Whispers) Didn't I tell you it was wrong to frighten them ?

Willimina: Yes, you did. Know it all. (she laughs lightly) We didn't mean to be overbearing.

Didi: What we did was wrong. I hope you forgive us.

Brendon: (in a peep) Sure. All is forgiven.

Chloe: Ditto.

Doug: Now, go. Go into the light.

Willimina: Thank you.

Didi: Yes, Pastor. Now we're free.

(They disappear, the rattling that was occurring earlier simply stops and the house is calm.)

Doug: (blows out candle) Thank heaven that's over. Another home cleansed.

Brendon: (hugs him from the side as Chloe does too)

Doug: Gosh, thanks. Wasn't expecting that. I'll come by to fish later. I've got counseling to attend to. You know how unruly teenagers can be. Well...I guess you will soon enough.

Chloe: (not knowing whether to be enthusiastic or concerned) Um...(raises hands) yea !

Brendon: Woo hoo, parenting ! (raises the roof rather non-nonchalantly, without much energy)

Doug: See you two on Sunday.

Brendon: Bye, Doug. Careful on the first step, it's kind of a doozy.

Doug: (watches himself) Whew. Thanks.

Chloe: Thanks ! (narrating) Our specter problem had been chased away successfully. That weekend, the whole family came and we caught up. Of course they all had to fawn over my growing belly and news of our delivery date.

(Scene shift to the massive family meeting in the kitchen. Warm, inviting, amicable and jovial.)

Scene 5—Everyone's Here !

Mika: Chloe you're looking so good. You're positively radiant.

Chloe: Now I understand 'pregnancy glow'.

Brendon: I think she becomes more and more beautiful. (holds her from the side)

Phyllis: When are you due, honey ?

Chloe: August.

Frank: Ah ! A Leo ! Just like me !

(They laugh)

Connie: I hope you don't mind that I tagged along. Chloe invited me, so I showed up.

Darlene: Connie, silly girl. You know you're always welcome in Chloe's house.

(Chloe nods)

Chloe: Si, si. Mi casa es su casa !

Dora: I can't wait to see and christen your little one. If he's as handsome as you both, I can guarantee he'll have to chase away the girls when he's older.

Doug: Just keep them grounded in God, let Him handle the rest. Everything will be A.O.K., partners.

Dora: You and your John Wayne obsession.

Doug: What can I say, the man is the ultimate symbol of masculinity, bravado and toughness.

Dora: Though you are all those things, I prefer if you're yourself, Dougie-wougie.

Doug: (a bit embarrassed) Dora. Don't call me that in front of our guests !

Darlene: So, the exorcism really worked ? Awesome. I would've loved to have seen it.

Doug: You'll learn in time, Darlene.

Darlene: (victory gesture) Sweet !

Chloe: (narrating) Moments like these never became boring. Of course, in due time, historians heard about our property and were keen on buying it.

Brendon: We're not selling our property, but we will give tours if people are interested in viewing our basement. I hadn't been down there in a long time, but now I just use it as a tool shed and storage facility.
Interested Buyer: I'll get back to you on that.

Chloe: (narrating) Thus it began. During the weekends, people came and went and we acted as curators for our historical property. It brought in extra money, plenty of it to pay for little James' attire, food and schooling. We had been provided for supernaturally. Some might say it was Willimina and Didi showering blessings down to us from heaven. I wouldn't have put it past them.

(We see a shot of the ladies in heaven having a pleasant walk, laughing together with their ancestors. The two of them wink at each other knowingly. The End. A little snippet. The Underground Railroad existed from 1800 until 1865. Some historians believe as many as 100,000 slaves were emancipated on its route. To the many conductors and engineers, this story is dedicated to your triumph and the indomitable spirit of man !)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers