Meaning

Synopsis: Maya Weiss wonders what will become of her life. She's lost her parents, her job and almost her faith and hope. However, her friends pull together to help her. She also falls for an affluent business owner and motivational speaker, Brendon Burton.

~*~CAST~*~
Maya Weiss:
Rosa Angleman:
Roderick 'Rod' Angleman: (her brother)
Derrik Angleman: (their dad)
Nelly Angleman: (their mom)
Ezra Strauss:
Elizabeth Strauss: (his sister)
Ephriam Strauss: (middle brother)
Gilbert Strauss: (eldest brother)
Lennon Strauss: (their dad)
Kiki Strauss: (their mom)
Nora Perlman:
Susan Perlman: (her mom)
Brendon Burton:
Mary Burton: (his mom)
Blaze Burton: (his dad)
Beauregard Burton: (his granddad)
Harold Henning:


Scene 1—Sometimes Reality Smacks You, Hard !

Rosa: My condolences. I never knew this was going to be such a punch in the gut.

Maya: Rosa, I have nothing now. I lost my job over this. I feel so...inept. So lost.

Rod: Whenever we lose someone we love dearly, we all feel adrift.

Ezra: That's why we're here for you. In fact, I've got a job bank you can visit not far from home.

Maya: Thank you, Ezra. I still need some time to heal though. I'm glad Nora's giving the eulogy today. There's no way I would've been able to without my knees buckling and doubling over from sorrow.

Ephriam: (trying to be strong for her but finds himself crying too) It's times like this we all have to stay strong. (patting her hand gently and handing Rosa a kleenex)

Maya: (narrating) It hadn't hit me until Nora read my eulogy that dad was gone out of my life forever. He, my mother and I had been tightly knit, closer than any family members could be. When my so called 'friends' in junior high school started hanging out with other people, mom and dad had been my soft place to fall. I wanted to be happy because I knew mom and dad would come and visit me in their own little quirky ways but the house was going to be a whole lot quieter without them around.

Elizabeth: Don't you worry, Maya. You're going to be fine. We all love you. This break, this little respite, it's exactly what you need. Just take some time, don't be afraid to mourn. If you want to talk to us, we're always available. We're your buddies.

Maya: (hugs her) Elizabeth, you are a saint. God bless you. All of you. Thank you for coming in my hour of need. (narrating) Even after the funeral, they kept their word. Some people 'say' they'll help but then they return to their own lives. I was fortunate to have an extended family. Now all I had to do was get my life back together. The sooner, the better. I was about to climb walls with my nose.

(Scene fade, Rosa sighing when she is heading to bed for the night)

Scene 2—Getting Recruited

(A month passes flashes on the screen. Rosa still feels a little down and out but maintains optimism, faith, hope and a 'go get 'im' attitude.)


Rosa: (calling Maya) Good morning, my darling friend !

Maya: Rosa ! What a surprise ! What prompted you to call me today ? We always hang out during the weekends when you're not busy.

Rosa: I was just curious how you were doing since the funeral.

Maya: I got everything settled and the inscription is on dad's headstone. I know this sounds really strange, but I don't like visiting. Dad and mom are in heaven now. I realize it gives people closure, but mine is knowing I get to see them again someday. I just wish I could live my life more fully. It still hurts.

Rosa: I know. Hey, have you heard from the recruiting agency yet ?

Maya: No. Every place I have applied to rejects me outright. 'Overqualified' they state. (rolls eyes, shakes head, facepalms herself) This is the thanks I receive for my many years of education.

Rosa: (sternly, reprovingly, maternal tone) Maya, please. Don't be so hard on yourself. The economy's horrendous. This is no reflection on your skills.

(The phone beeps in her hand) Oh ! I have a call coming in. Maybe it's the agency.

Rosa: Call me back, let me know ! Best of everything, honey !

Maya: Bye, Rosa ! Love you ! (hangs up) Weiss residence, who may I ask is speaking ?

Harold: Hello, Ms. Weiss. This is Harold Henning. I'm with the agency you filed with. I'd like for you to come in later today. How does 11:00 work for you ?

Maya: Perfectly. Thank you, Mr. Henning.

Harold: Please, call me Harry. Mr. Henning is my father.

(They laugh)

Harold: 11:00 sharp, alright ?

Maya: Of course, Harold. I look forward to meeting you.

Harold: Same here. Goodbye.

Maya: Goodbye, Harold. (hangs up the phone, narrating) I wanted to shout my latest success from the rooftops but I had no idea how my life was about to take a drastic turn for the better.

(Scene shift)

Scene 2—Meeting Brendon

Harold: There's someone I'd like you to meet, Maya.

Maya: Oh ? I thought I would be working for your outfit and helping others find work in the area.

Harold: That's what I was thinking as well, but there's someone I think who can use your services more than Professional Pros can.

Harold: (Over his PA) Yeah, Shirley. Send Mr. Burton in.

Brendon: I'm Brendon Burton.

Maya: (gets up to offer her hand for him to shake it) Maya Weiss. Woah. Exceptional grip you have, Sir.

Brendon: Brendon ! No need to be so formal.

Maya: (light-hearted chuckle) Just the way I was taught. I think I recognize you. You're a self-help guru. You're on TV all the time.

Brendon: See, that's where I need you. You stated in your CV you have excellent organizational skills. (she nods fervantly) You see, I need your help. Ever since my last secretary got a better job, I haven't really had time to get the office in order.

Maya: I'm all for it. I can file and sort in my sleep.

Brendon: When can you start ?

Maya: Immediately.

Brendon: You're hired ! Come in to work 9:00 am. I'll show you the ropes of the job and familiarize you with my staff. (shakes her hand again)

Maya: Thank you, Brendon. You won't regret this ! (She walks out of the job bank with a spring in her step. She begins to sing 'I'm Still Standing') (Scene change as soon as she returns home and tells everyone she knows. They all celebrate in fine fashion and she comes home to a comfortable bed. Scene fade.)

Scene 3—A Side Meeting

(The next day approaches and Maya prepares for work. 'Lovely Day' plays in the background. She arrives early, much to the delight of Brendon. Brendon gives her the 'guided tour' and gets her right to work. She gets most of the work done for one day, but there is still much to accomplish.)

Brendon: I've got to say, I'm very impressed. You cut our work load down to 3/4ths what it was originally. (pats her back)

Maya: Just doing my job. I'm really enjoying it thus far.

Brendon: You definitely seem to be in your element. (smiling brightly) Do you want to go for a bite with me ?

Maya: (becoming fond of Brendon, being dazzled by his sense of style and his beautiful dark eyes) I certainly could go for one. I'm famished.

(An instrumental version of 'You Only Live Twice' plays in the background as he takes her to his favorite restaurant, a high class one too that serves gourmet burgers.)

Brendon: I never met a meat and potatoes gal before.

Maya: What can I say, I love red meat and I have to have protein every once in a great while.

Brendon: I couldn't have hired a better worker.

Maya: I'm glad you did. I was just curious though.

Brendon: What about ? Ask me anything you like. I'll answer. (he smiles in a very charming, alluring way, his eyes never leaving hers)

Maya: Are you free this weekend, because I want to know, do you like to dance ?

Brendon: (Leans over and whispers) The others don't know this though but I love to dance. If you're a lean, mean, cut macho man like me, you gotta be careful with that kind of intel.

Maya: (busts a gut laughing) Of course. Your secret is safe with me.

Brendon: How about we bump that date up though. I want to see you again.

Maya: So soon ?

Brendon: I would be foolish not to. (takes her hand, she titters like a school girl) I don't mean to be forward, but do you have a party dress ?

Maya: No.

Brendon: (very discreetly) I'm giving you a little extra. It's hush-hush. Go ahead, get yourself a little something.

Maya: (narrating) And that I did and the results were jaw-droppingly earthshakingly hot.
(A rhumba plays in the background. She puts on her make up . An instrumental of 'Sailing' plays in the background while Brendon's eyes get large.)

Brendon: (holds up bouquet of roses, barely even knowing how to string two syllables together) For you.

Maya: Oh, my. How lovely ! Thank you. (breathes in fragrance deeply and puts them in a vase, coming back out) So, we're heading to your favorite club. Is this a frequent haunt of yours ?

Brendon: El Coco Loco is where I go to decompress. Dancing always takes my stress away.

('Rhythm of the Night' begins playing)

Brendon: I just can't help myself, the rhythm takes me hostage.

Maya: Well, it can take me hostage any time it wants !

(They dance the night away until they tire out and he takes her to the bar where they have a drink of water together.)

Brendon: It's getting really late. We should be getting back home by now. My parents are bound to call me.

Maya: (chuckles) My friends are going to do the same to me. I can hear Gilbert complaining, 'Maya, what do you think you're doing up at this hour ?'

Brendon: (slight jealousy) Is Gill someone I have to be concerned about ?

Maya: Oh no. Heavens ! (light chortle, near guffaw) He's my best friend's middle brother. The Struasses are quite a large family. I knew them since grade school. Ezra comes over to play video games with he and his bros sometimes.

Brendon: (surprised) You just keep getting more and more interesting. Maybe I should come over and play a few rounds against you.

Maya: Are you good at Skyrim ?

Brendon: Good ? I'm practically a god.

Maya: We'll see. I won't believe it 'til I see it.

Brendon: Deal. We really should be getting home though. (offers his arm) My lady.

Maya: How gallant !

(An instrumental of 'Believer' plays in the background.)

Brendon: I haven't laughed that loud or hard for well, ever.

Maya: Me either. (his hand lightly grazes her's. She doesn't pull away though, her hand clasps his gently and their eyes search each other's. A very tender version of 'Come With Me' plays and they kiss for the first time. They get lost in each other's smooch until Maya looks at her watch) Mmmmmm ! I'm sorry. To be continued. Right ?

Brendon: Certainly. I pray the story never ends. (pats her hand tenderly)

(Her hand runs through his and OK Go's latest plays in the background as she slips into a dream about them dancing together underneath the stars and a full moon. Think of the scene from Om Shanti Om with an illuimated floor. He draws her into his arms, his lips touch her neck and he spins her out and into his embrace. The dream fades into daylight as her alarm blares to 'Stone and Light'.)

Scene 4—Tiny Gestures

Maya: (stretches and gets ready for the day, sees some of her friends driving by, waves at them and is on her way to work. As usual, she arrives early. Brendon hands her a rose.) Good morning to you too. Why the extravagance ?

Brendon: I want to spoil you. Is that so wrong ?

Maya: No, by all means, spoil away ! I don't want to be impossible though.

Brendon: (scoffs) You'll never be impossible, Maya. (whispers) I'd kiss you right now but we're working. I'll get you at lunch.

Maya: Dessert before lunch ? How scandalous.

Brendon: Only the best.

(Phone call comes in when she's at work)

Kiki: Hey, hon ! I just wanted to know. How's the job ? How's your boss ?

Maya: Kiki ! I'm at work ! Why do you have to be such a helicopter surrogate ?

Kiki: I have to look out for my favorite daughter, you know.

Maya: Don't tell Elizabeth that.

Kiki: I kid ! (laughing) I kid.

Maya: Everything is rosy. Brendon is a doll.

Kiki: Someone sounds like she is in loooove. Have you met his parents yet ? If he asks you to meet them, then hook, line and sinker, baby !

Maya: We'll see. All I know is that I haven't felt this happy in a good long while. I have to go, Kiki. Brendon's coming back. I have to get my work done.

Kiki: Ok, keep in touch, cookie. Kisses.

Maya: (sweetly, affectionately) Kisses !

Brendon: Speaking of dessert, I made some crème brule I wanted to share with the office. Here's a bite. Constructive criticism is welcome.

Maya: (takes a bite) That is scrumptous. Did you make that yourself ?

Brendon: I like fooling around...In the kitchen.

Maya: You rogue.

Brendon: So ? Anything stand out ?

Maya: Everything ! This should be showcased in a restraunt.

Brendon: Mom, dad and granddad say that too when I visit. Which I was wondering, I'm going to be doing so over the weekend. Would you like to come with me ?

Maya: We've only been dating for a short time. Don't you think we're moving a little...well...fast ?

Brendon: You're the best thing that's ever happened to me. I...just...have never felt this way about another human being before. I guess I get a bit carried away when it comes to you.

Maya: I've noticed that, but I adore it. It's so romantic.

Brendon: So that's a yes.

Maya: Definitely.

Brendon: (claps) Excellent ! Don't be nervous, but if you are, I'm not against you holding my hand for comfort. (he winks)

Maya: (apprehensive laugh with a huge grin, the moment he walks away, she has to calm herself) Ok, Maya. Deep breaths. It's only his parents. That's all it is.

(Scene shift to her freaking out at home. Multiple calls are going on at once. It feels like 'The Brady Bunch' only with a lot of people talking to Maya, giving her advice.)

('Crazy In Love' plays in the background.)

Susan: Dress to impress, remember that.

Maya: Indubitably. I got another dress for this exact occasion !

Ephriam: Mazel tov, I know you'll knock 'em dead with your head turning looks.

Elizabeth: Go get 'im, you seductive lionness.

Rosa: We believe in you !

Mary: They're going to love you !

(Doorbell rings)

Maya: Holy frijloes ! He's here ! Play it cool. Play it super easy peasy. Chilly as ice. Chilly as ice.

Brendon: (holding a box of chocoaltes in his hand) For you, my sweet.

Maya: Thanks. They smell absolutely heavenly.

Brendon: No more so than you, angel. (offers his arm) Come on ! Mom, dad and grandpa will be elated to meet you !

Maya: (to herself, fidgeting with her dress) Gee, I really hope so. I've never been this apprehensive before.

Brendon: (takes her hand and kisses it) I'm with you. Whatever happens, I am not going anywhere. Count on that, love. (he kisses her cheek and squeezes her hand reassuringly)

(He drives to their home, and appropriately enough, 'I'm Gonna Make This Place Your Home' plays on his radio, he hums and sings along and she can't help but sing with him.)

Brendon: Such a remarkable, clear tone. Your talents continue to impress and amaze, Maya.

Maya: Is this it ? It's gargantuan.

Brendon: Not one to boast, but my estate is far larger. I don't really like making a show out of what I have. People tend to take it the wrong way, and I'm humble. I do what I can to help others get on their feet and become independent. I teach them work values, respect and etiquitte. The workers I do hire have to act on their own free will. I'm just the seed that germinates.

Maya: Quite the philosopher, aren't you ?

Brendon: Philosophy is a side hobby, but philanthrophy is my vocation.

(They walk up to the door and his parents welcome him. Debussy's best hits are playing in the background. The whole house is elegant and his parents, opulent but affable and friendly.)

Beau: (hugging Maya happily) You must be that filly that my grandson has told us so much about.

Maya: That I am, sir but could you kindly put me down ?

Beau: Oh ! A thousand pardons, my dear ! I got overly excited it seems.

Blaze: Good ol' dad, still strong as an ox !

Beau: (pats him hard on the back so that he nearly falls over) Don't you forget it !

Mary: We cooked dinner just for this auspicious occasion.

Maya: (eyes become bigger than saucers) It's like a veritable feast. I've never seen so much food, or smelled so many intoxicating aromas before !

Blaze: My Mary's quite the caterer. She lives to entertain.

Maya: I can see that.

Beau: I'll serve.

Blaze: Go ahead then, pop. I think our guest should say grace, though.

Beau: (after he serves the meal, they all look at her, anticipatorily)

Maya: (all holding hands, and her hand is softly being careessed by Brendon's thumb and forefinger) Gracious heavenly father, we thank you for this meal, the providence and prosperity you have brought into our lives. I thank you for my friend and companion, Brendon. Without him, none of this would've been possible. I'm grateful for his family, they seem fabulous. So, without any further ado, let's dig in ! Amen !

Blaze: (applauding) Well said, Maya !

Beau: I can see why he finds you so appealing.

Maya: (narrating) The butterflies I had been experiencing had converted to electric shocks within my belly whenever Brendon looked my way. It only multiplied the day we were married.

Scene 5—Paradise Multiplied

(The Honeymoon appears on screen)

Brendon: I'm thinking we might have gone a bit overboard.

Maya: I'm likely to agree ! (They sing 'Don't Stop Me Now' together)

Brendon: (sings 'Keep It Coming, Love' as a backup) I believe it's time for you and I to stow away in our cabin. Shhh....

Maya: Quiet like church mice... Quieter than SBDs in the pews.

Brendon: Stop with the church puns.

Maya: I can't help it, you bring out (eating a bratwurst with sour kraut on a plate with potatoes) the wurst in me !

Brendon: Oy, vey. I love you and your goofy humor, my darling swan.

(They seclude themselves to a bed and we're treated with an animated glimpse into their brains. Done appropriately to 'Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life (At Last I've Found You')

Maya: Round two... (wriggles eyebrows)

Brendon: (in a smoulderingly sexy tone) Fight.

Maya: Bring it on, Brendon.

(They go under cover and giggle like crazy.)

Maya: Hey, back off. Perverts.

Brendon: Yeah ! Four eyes only. Jerks.

(Camera pans out of the room and above the ship. An instrumental of 'Love Boat' plays in the background. Clips of Brendon and Maya singing 'What's Going On' and 'Then I Go And Spoil It All By Saying Something Stupid Like I Love You' and finish with 'Don't Go Breakin' My Heart'. We are spoiled and treated with bloopers. Two bluebirds come across the screen with a red ribbon that reads, 'And They Lived Happily Ever After...Duh' at the end.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers