The Mechanic


Synopsis: A small town loses its only mechanic due to old age. A new girl in town, Shelby Bynes, moves in and wants to start a job straight away, fixing the old shop up and repairing it as well as the jalopies that come in. The town is slightly set in its ways and not at all keen at Shelby's arrival, but once she repaints The Wrench and begins fixing cars, the people begin to turn around. Even though at first, the community isn't that welcoming, there is one man who decides to vouch for her, even though he doesn't know her personally. His name is Cade Cameron.

~*~CAST~*~
Cade Cameron:
Colby Cameron: (his brother)
Colt Cameron: (his dad)
Cindy Cameron: (his mom)
Shebly Bynes:
Gerald 'Gerry' Bynes: (her dad)
Geri: (future daughter)
Joaquin Perez: (a customer, who becomes a patron and friend)
Luis Perez: (his younger brother, becomes a patron and friend)
Sara Mathers: (becomes Shelby's bff)
Michael 'Mike' Mathers: (her husband)
Nathan Mathers: (their son)
Silver Falls Resident #1:
Silver Falls Resident #2 (Lou):
Silver Falls Resident #3:
Silver Falls Resident #4 (Mark):
Silver Falls Resident #5 (June):
Silver Falls Resident #6:
Silver Falls Resident #7:

Scene 1—Getting Comfortable in Silver Falls

Shelby: (walking into The Wrench Body Shop) This must be the old body shop. (coughing up dust) Man, this joint has seen better days. Mac took terrific care of you, but I guess once he started declining so did the Wrench. Pity, dude. Real travesty. That's not where the legacy ends though. (cough) Tomorrow, I'm coming in and I am going to renovate the hell out of you. See you tomorrow, Wrench.

SFR #1: The nerve of that girl, coming in and taking over Mac's place. She didn't even know Mac personally. The gall !

SFR #2: Brazen hussy. I bet she's a big city sort, looking to exploit our little town of Silver Falls.

SFR #3: Yeah, I bet you're right, Lou. Look at those threads, how expensive they are.

SFR #4: We don't need no stinkin' female mechanic here ! Go back home to whatever gutter you emerged from !

SFR #5: Mark, is that really necessary ? You don't even know this kid. And she's just that, an innocent girl !

SFR #4: June, you're too soft on these newcomers. It's people like that that ruin small community morale. Just you wait, she'll be bringing her jazz talkin' friends here in no time flat. We'll be hearin' R&B, rap, jazz and worst of all (shudders) fusion bands.

SFR #5: You don't know anything about that kind of music. If you gave it a chance, you might just like it.

SFR #4: I really don't wanna. I say we try and force her out ASAP.

SFR #6: She just got here.

SFR #7: So ? I don't like the look of her.

SFR #3: Neither do I.

(The community begins collaborating ways of chasing Shelby out, even though the outliers don't speak up against the inherent wrong in doing so. Scene fade.)

Scene 2—A Little TLC for The Wrench

(Shelby is dancing around and singing to an upbeat version of 'Gimmie Some Lovin' as she refurbishes The Wrench and makes it look brighter than a newly found penny.)

Cade: (low whistle) Wow, you work fast ! I've never seen the Wrench look so good, well, not since Mac owned it. He would be proud.

Shelby: Who may I ask are you ?

Cade: Cade. Cade Cameron. (offers his hand for a firm, friendly handshake)

Shelby: Shelby Bynes. I'm new here and bought the Wrench. When I saw its dilapidated condition, I just had to fix her up a bit.

Cade: If you can do that to workshops, it makes me wonder what you can do with cars.

Shelby: As dad always said, 'You can work miracles with those hands of yours !'. He's the one that taught me everything I know. It's been difficult on him since mom passed years ago from ovarian cancer. Hit him hard.

Cade: I hope he's getting on better now.

Shelby: Oh, he is. He was bowled over when I told him I was moving to Silver Falls. Thing is, I don't feel very welcome yet.

Cade: (tries not to laugh) Some of the residents here are a little stubborn when it comes to newcomers.

Shelby: So I've noticed.

Cade: Don't let it get to you. Once you've put the finishing touches on the Wrench and open for business, I'm certain everyone will be changing their tune.

Shelby: Thank you for vouching for me. How long have you lived in Silver Falls ?

(They start taking a walk, inside the body shop and then outside, around the neighborhood.)

Cade: Long as I can remember. Colby and I grew up here. I remember dad was the one who found opportunity and never left. Once we settled in, we never looked back. Colby and I prefer the slower tempo of life. It's more relaxed.

Shelby: (breathes in deeply) The air's much cleaner too. I felt like I would asphyxiate on the smog back home. Dad decided to pack up and move out too. Found it better for his lungs. His heath has improved considerably since then.

Cade: That's terrific ! Say, are you hungry ?

Shelby: Come to think of it I could use some food.

Cade: Come on then ! (he takes her by the hand and they go to his favorite burger joint, and she just happens to adore burgers.)

Shelby: (they split the bill) Man I'm stuffed. That burger was incredible. Best I've had in a long time.

Cade: There are plenty of other places to eat, that is, if you'd like to sometime.

Shelby: I can cook too, you know.

Cade: (laughs) I never once questioned it.

Shelby: Next time it'll be a culinary masterpiece of epic proportions.

Cade: I can't wait ! Been nice to hang with you. I'll catch you later. I'm sure the Wrench is in need of your specific touch. (pats her shoulder) See you around !

Shelby: See you soon, Cade. (acting smitten with him already but trying not to show it. While she repairs the Wrench, the ending music of The Cell plays as she completely renovates and breathes new life into the old workshop. ) Tomorrow, we're opening for business. Here goes everything !

(Scene fade after she shuts the lights off for the day.)

Scene 3—Reluctant but Willing

(At first people start coming to The Wrench. Oldies but goodies play on the radio. Then Sara comes.)

Sara: (hugging her tightly) Shelby ! I can't believe you're here ! I thought you were staying in the big city. Fancy meeting you in Silver Falls.

Shelby: (hugging her back) Good to see you too, Sara. What brings you here ?

Sara: It's a great neighborhood. The schools are terrific and the opportunities are vast. One would never think it but the jobs here pay really well. Didn't know you were open for business. I just happened to bring my baby, Speedy, in for lube and tune up.

Shelby: Ah, that's easy. Speedy looks remarkable.

Sara: You know me, I take good care of my baby. (pats her car on the bumper) Just be sure to do the same, alright ? (throws her the key, and she catches it with flair, spinning around) Sweet moves. Are you taking a salsa class, too ?

Shelby: I dance in my spare time. Hobbies and pleasures should be free.

Sara: I hear that ! Well, I'm going to call Mike to pick me up. (calls him and tells him where she is, they say their farewells after telling each other how deep their love is.)

Shelby: How's Nate doing as of late ?

Sara: Excelling in everything, especially basketball. I wouldn't be surprised if he moves on to pro basketball with the scholarship he's earned.

Shelby: Has it already been that long ?

Sara: Yeah, but you know how I was. Mike and I did everything a bit backward. We had Nathan and then got married before finishing our degrees. Funny how it all worked out for the best though. It was rough going at first, being new parents and getting used to a schedule dictated by Nathan's needs. After a while though it was the best decision we've ever made.

Shelby: I couldn't be happier. Although I missed those years of lost time. Where did it go ? (they hug again)

Sara: Circumstances got in the way. I lost your number and I didn't know how to contact you.

Shelby: Now you know where I am. So you have no excuse anymore, young lady.

Sara: Indeed. (a horn honks eagerly) There he is !

(Nate waves, Shelby waves back)

Shelby: Goodness, he's grown into quite the handsome young man.

Sara: Don't remind me. (they laugh. She leaves and hops into the car, 'Skater Boy' is playing on the radio, and they're all jamming out to it).

Shelby; (gets to work and 'Distinctly Me' plays in the background as she does).

(An instrumental of Tequila plays while Joaquin drives up.)

Joaquin: Hey, I haven't seen the Wrench look this good in years. My baby, Juanita, she's making this noise. I'm sure you can figure out what's troubling her.

Luis: Yeah, be gentle with 'Juanita'. It's a real babe magnet.

Shelby: Can do. I'm Shelby by the way.

Luis: Like the car ? Sweet !

Shelby: Yep. Dad was always obsessed with fast cars.

Joaquin: I'm still dubious you can do my Juanita right.

Luis: Joaquin, don't be a chauvinist.

Joaquin: Luis ! How many female mechanics do you know ?

Luis: (takes him aside) I may be the younger brother, but right now, you're embarrassing me. Give Shelby a chance, hermano.

Joaquin: (becomes more placid, hands her the keys) Bus will come and keep us up. Got any literature to tide us over ?

Luis: Oh yeah, look at this man ! (holds up Low Rider Magazine) Now we're talking !

Shelby: Yes, indeed. It's the latest issue. I keep all my mags up to date. Dad's the one that orders 'em. He reads fast, so he donated them to the cause.

('She Works Hard For the Money' plays in the background while she makes cars shine and sparkle and work like they were just bought from the showroom. People in the town start flocking to The Wrench and she's almost so swamped she needs help. So, she starts hiring people. This sequence is done to of course, Taking Care of Business. Before long, her schedule is more manageable and she is able to spend more time with Cade. Scene shift.)

Scene 4—Getting Acquainted in the Hospital

Colby: Hey, have you seen Cade around ?

Cade: I'm right here, buddy.

Colby: Did you turn your phone off ? I was trying to get a hold of you.

Cade: I had it on vibrate. I should've felt it through my pants.

Colby: Mom was in a car wreck.

Shelby: Oh my God. (shocked, distressed, but remaining calm) is she ok ?

Colby: Yes, she's at the hospital. Minor fractures. Nothing that won't heal in a few days or even weeks.

Shelby: Is she accepting visitors ?

Colby: Yeah, actually she wants to meet you. Cade won't shut up about you, so of course she's inquisitive.

Shelby: Oh man. I wasn't thinking of meeting your parents so soon. I look terrible in these coveralls.

Cade: Don't worry about it. It doesn't matter. Come on.

(An instrumental version of 'Stay With Me' plays as they come in to see mama, laid up, but in high spirits.)

Cindy: It's so good to see you all. This must be Shelby.

Shelby: Yes. I came as soon as I heard.

Colt: Cade has filled our ears of tales of you. Glad to finally meet Ms. Mechanic in person. I've heard about your work. I know who to call if my '59 Tbird needs anything done to it.

Shelby: (becoming extremely interested) You have a '59 Tbird ? That's one of my dream cars !

Colt: Cade, I think you've found a winner.

Shelby: (titters, shyly bowing her head) How long are you here for ?

Cindy: A couple days at best. I heal quickly, even at my age.

Colt: I met her PT and he's really impressive.

Shelby: I'd love to stick around but I don't want to tire out Mrs. Cameron.

Cindy: You're presence is more welcome than a spring day, my dear. Call me Cindy, if you would.

(Before she knows it Shelby's spending hours at length talking to her newest friends and looks at her watch, realizing she has body work to complete.)

Shelby: Oh my God...I have orders to finish ! I am so sorry. I'd love to continue this conversation but I have to go. Sorry, everyone.

Colt: No big deal. Customer's come first. Colby and myself are going to stick around a little longer.

Colby: Or until they tell us to vamoose.

(The two laugh for a while)

Cade: I brought you. I'll take you back. (Kisses her deeply) See you again soon.

Shelby: Sooner rather than later. I get Cade withdrawals you know.

Cade: You won't be without me for long.

(Scene shift.)

Scene 5—Shelby's Auto Show

Shelby: (narrating) Before long, people started respecting me more as well as the work I did. The Wrench became the 'go to' place and I began my own line of merchandise to help the store flourish. I also gave more auto shop pros jobs and they remained loyal to the Wrench for their whole careers. Seasons had come and gone, Cindy had long since healed of her car wreck and now summer was here. My favorite time of year. Ah yes. Summertime. SPF 50, shades, shorts, sandals. It has everything and more, including ice cream. So, in order to really get the city hopping I decided to have Silver Falls' first auto show. Cars from all around the neighborhood would be showcased. The best in show would receive a rather pricey trophy as well as accommodations to a vacation of their choice. Everyone decided to chip in, knowing that the funds, ultimately, would be going to the run down youth center not far away from me. I wanted to help those kids in every way I could. I had recalled a tough childhood in the city. City kids really had no place to go and here there's nothing for miles, not even a YMCA. Maybe with the money the show drew in we could start reinventing the town. The community already seemed gung ho about improving itself. I had been one person to implement it, and now I was beginning to see the result of my actions.

(Club King Kong's the Berndt plays in the background while everyone gathers around, gawking at the remarkable, gorgeous, stunning, spellbinding machines. There are so many sweet rides, just writing about it makes my mouth water and my knees go weak.)

Cade: I'm impressed, Shelby. The fundraiser is really breaking records. It's phenomenal how many people have come out to support the cause.

Shelby: I only want these kids to have the very best. Where I came from there was a youth center, a Y and plenty of other activities kids could participate in to better themselves as well as the community. Silver Falls needs this more than any place.

Cade: (holds her close) That's what I love about you. I noticed everyone start to change for the better since you came here. Bet you never thought of yourself as a catalyst.

Shelby: No, but mom and dad always said had I not become a mechanic I'd probably be a motivational speaker.

Cade: (kisses her deeply, not really caring who sees) I have a proposition for you.

Shelby: (intuitively) I already know what you're going to ask. The answer is yes, you fool. What took you ?

Cade: How...(laughing) Nothing gets past you. You're like Sherlock Holmes.

Shelby: (nodding) And you're my Watson. (narrating) And from that moment onward, Cade and I were inseparable. Cade soon became the mentor and tutor in what was soon named 'The Junction'. It was a safe place with games, drug prevention, rehab and job services to get emancipated teenagers on their feet if they had fallen off the tracks.

(We see our hero and heroine dancing to 'You're Classic' and 'Kiss You'. Over time we see the small town blossom. Even Shelby's family blossoms and we're treated to seeing their young daughter, Geri, head to school.)

Geri: Hey mom, when I grow up, I wanna own the Wrench.

Shelby: I'm sure you'll be magnificent.

Geri: Love you mom, dad. Thanks for the incredible lunch !
(She kisses them goodbye)

Shelby: (waving goodbye)

Cade: Are you crying ?

Shelby: Yes, but you are too !

Cade: I know, I know. They just grow up so fast. Seems like only yesterday the nurse was handing her to me and now she's 7.

Shelby: She won't be our only though.

Cade: No. Noooo ! Really ?

Shelby: Really, really.

Cade: How do I love thee, let me count the ways. (kissing) One. Two. Three.

(The scene fades as a pinhole dissolves and 'The End' appears on the screen as cogs, wheels and pistons and drives off the screen. Bloopers appear as well as cast members in their cars, showing them off.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers