Jill of Antiquities I, Tomb Raider Reborn

Jill of Antiquities, Tomb Raider Reborn

Synopsis:   Joe is given a second chance at life, quite literally.   In  heaven, he gets to see his wife living out the rest of her days and is allowed to meet her again, but it is only temporary.   His friend's children bring him back from the dead, but when he returns to Earth, it's not the Earth he remembers.  It's an entirely different place, but somewhere that needs his unique mind, perspective and expertise.   Not onyl that, but Joe gets another chance at love. 

~*~CAST~*~

Joe Sharma:
Jill Bowery: (Stephanie reborn)
Jason Bowery: (her elder brother)
Leon 'Lee' Bowery: (her dad)
Leah Bowery: (her mom)
Reba Bowery: (her grandma)
Stephanie Sharma:
Seema Sharma: (Joe's mom)
Apu Sharma: (Joe's dad)
Sweetu Sharma: (Joe's grandma)
Shah Sharma: (Joe's grandpa)


Scene 1--Here in Heaven

Joe:  (narrating)  So many views of the afterlife and most of them have got it absolutely right.   Here, though, it's certainly paradise and time has no meaning.  I have no remorse or sorrow when I see Stephanie, but I know she's grieving.  She never remarried.  I wouldn't have cared if she did, bless her soul.  Even though I'm seeing her go through life again and taking care of Dharma, but some events are obscure.  I feel though, I don't know.  I can't put it into words.  It's a trippy experience.  I'll leave it at that. 

Apu: (seeing Joe for the first time)
Joseph !  My sweet boy !  I knew you'd be here ! 

Joe:  I never doubted for a moment.  How's mom holding up ?

Apu:  As well as can be expeted.  I know Akashay and mom and dad are here.  They met me long before you did.  It was the whole Sharma welcoming committee. 

Joe:  Yeah !  It's weird.  Not long after I died, Sweetu and Shah flickered into existence here. 

Sweetu: (appearing)  Someone call me ?

Shah: I heard my name !

Joe: (out of habit, covers his heart)  could you at least *warn* a guy before you suddenly appear and scare them half to death.  Hah.  Half to death.  I'm in the afterlife, I can't be scared to death, you know ! 

(they laugh) 

Sweetu: Oh, you're still a barrel of laughs. 

Apu:  Stephanie seems to be doing well.  She has photos of you that give her comfort, both at work and at home.  Dharma's doing well, even in the new world.  Just think of it as Dharma 2.0.  

Joe:  I did see the 'Great Migration'  It was a big much for me to register.  We really don't have a way of marking minutes, hours, months, etc.  It just is life in its purest, unhindered form. 

Apu:  Had you not done what you did years ago, there wouldn't be this brilliant present. 

Joe:  I only see glimpses now, dad.  I don't even know what that means. 

Apu: (pats him on the shoulder)  Maybe you aren't *meant* to

Joe:  (chuckling)  I don't question it.   I'm just glad to see you again.  You'd be surprised at a lot of the people here though.  

Apu: You're going to have to introduce me.  

Joe:  Hey, we have eternity, right ?

Apu:  (shoots him a cool gesture and a wink)  Good one, son !  Good one !

(Scene shift)

Scene 2--Stephanie Arrives

(The Sharma family gathers to welcome Steph home

Steph:  (directly into Joe's arm)  Oh, Joey !  My beautiful Joey !

(Kissing him and running her fingers through his hair) 

Steph: You haven't aged one bit !  Still a sharp dresser !

Joe:  Says the finest woman alive. 
Stop your flattery !  (they embrace and start walking hand in hand)

Steph:  Ironically my heart finally gave out, but I died while the grandkids weren't there.   Our family's gotten bigger too. 

Joe:  Oh, I did get to see some of that.  No worries there. 

Steph:  I knew I would make it back to you somehow. 

Joe:  (narrating)  But then, the strangest thing happened.

Jill: (narrating)  I was reborn on the new Earth.  I remembered my old life, for I was an old soul.  Coming back wasn't what I had in mind, but like Joe,  I had a larger purpose.  Ours was a red thread that would never sever.   How it would reconnect was part of the mystery. 

(Scene fade)

Scene 3--Welcome Home, Jill !

Jill:  (narrating again)   The first person I saw was my big brother, Jason.   I had never had a big brother before, so I twas nice to have someone else in my life.   I had missed that being an only child before.  Funny how a second chance changes your point of view.

(Many years later appears on screen.)

Jason:  Look at you, graduating magna cum laude, top of your class.

Jill:  Yes, and doing what I love, even in this strange, yet familiar new world.  

(She sings 'Old Soul, New Realm')

Leon:  You keep talking about someone you knew 'before'.   I don't know if I believe in reincarnation.   But with all your knowledge, I'm beginning to reconsider. 

Jill:  I do remember my life before.   I was an archeologist just like I am am now.  I was married, and had a family.   I still long to make that connection again, but I don't know how yet.  

Leah:  That's a fact !  In this day and age in the 33rd century, technology has advanced to the point where they can bring someone back from death itself. 

Jill:  (a bit concerned)  What about the moral implications of that ? 

Leon:  The family itself, if applicable, is contacted.  Sometimes these people want to become guinea pigs all in the name of advancing science and putting an end to a problem we all face as humans.  

Jill:  (unnerved)  I don't know if I agree with that.  It just seems so unnatural.  

Jason:  Enough about that, where are you heading to now ? 

Jill:  I thought I would go to New Palestine.   I heard there are relics there left from before our times of peace.   It'd be funny to see something as far back as the 20th century, maybe further.  I don't know if anything survived during the Great Migration.   A lot of items had to be left behind, while the original earth burned up to a crisp.   Those words are still so alien to my lips.   So foreign.  

Jason:  Even though everything is new here, not much has changed.   People still have arguments, but we've overcome most of our differences. 

(short pause)
Leon:  So, when are you leaving for New Palestine ?

Jill:  Tomorrow, and I expect you and the family to see me off proper.  

Leah:  Certainly we will, my little tomb raider.  

Jill:  I don't even know why they're sending me into the holiest of places.  I get to take a stop in India.   I've always wanted to go there, ever since I was small.   Honestly, I look forward to the entire trip.  The whole event will be exciting.  

Leon:  Be careful.  Come back to us safe, ok ? 
(He hugs her)

Jill:  It's like I'm going to be gone for a year.  It's *only* a few months, dad. 

Leon:  I'm aware, mom and I just miss you.

Jason: (snubbed, acting slightly wounded and like a diva somewhat)  What ? I'm not good enough company to keep you all *entertained* ?  Please!

Jill:   (narrating)  Little did I know that while I was beginning my journey, my beloved was on his miraculous way back to me.  As for the purpose of his return, it was still a conundrum that I would begin to unravel in time.  It was a magical mystery tour that we *both* would be taking together. 

(As we see the plane line make it to India and blink at its stop, X marks it and 'Magical Mystery Tour' plays, followed by an instrumental version of 'Taste of India'.  The infamous, horrid words 'TBC' are seen on screen, assuredly followed by many petulent growls and moans from my audience.  But, I assure them their patience will pay off in the end because they will get a small glimpse of what is to come in the second installment of sequels, approprately titled, 'The Return'.) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers