Bellfire

Synopsis:  Orbs of energy prevail in Luxemborg and Iris is mesmerized.   She discovers they are simply another form of energy wanting to communicate and advance mankind's understanding while opening the possibility of their realm to the bold, daring, curious and idealistic. 

~*~CAST~*~
Iris Eriksen:
Olaf Eriksen: (dad)
Leslie Eriksen: (mom)
Kristen Eriksen: (grandmother)
Araceli 'Celi' Svenson: (Iris' best friend) 
Anna Svenson: (Celi's mom)
Kristoff Svenson: (Celi's dad)
Liam Svenson:  (Celi's grandfather)
Neil Thorson:
Abbott:
Adler:
Aelfwine:
Aeola: 
Alameda: 
Alair:  

Scene 1--So Quiet, So Boring

Iris: (narrating)  In my sprawling town, the most exciting element are the tourists that frequent our shops and historical districts.  Being a neutral country makes us seem vanilla compared to other countries I suppose.  But, something strange has been happening in Luxemborg.  I know I'm only a child and I realize my imagination is extremely fantastical, but the tale I'm about to share is entirely true.  No part has been omitted.   It was a sunny day, much like this one.   I had begun seeing Bellfire, or orbs, floating around my little village.   I hadn't been the only one, either.   Celi, my best friend, could see them too. 

Celi:  Iris !  Iris !  Did you just see that ?

Iris:  They're only a few feet in front of me.  How could I miss them ? I can almost touch...
(She does)

Abbott:  (laughing) Hey, now !  I don't go around messing with your particles, do I ?

Iris:  I'm sorry...Wait, you speak and understand English ?

Abbott:  That I do.  I speak the language of the Universe.  

Celi:  What *are* you exactly ? 

(there are others) 

Adler:  We're beings of light from another dimension.  Rules of physics don't necessarily apply to us.   We want to help your kind advance.

Celi:  Why ? 

Aelfwine:  It's what we do.  Not really certain as to the purpose, but it gives us meaning.  We do it because we enjoy the sparkle it lends us and other Bellfire around us. 

Celi/Iris: Bellfire ?

Alair:  It's what we call ourselves.  Our true name would be far more difficult to pronounce in the Terran language. 

Iris:  (narrating)  At first, Celi and I could see and communicate with these blue orbs of phospherescence but we dared not speak with them anywhere else but in seclusion. 

Celi: (adding)  People'd throw us in the loony bin.  The asylum isn't a place for children, though I do hear they treat their residents like kings !   (she laughs) 

(scene shift)

Scene 2--You Won't Believe...Oh, Wait...You Know Of What I Speak

Iris:  (running home, bidding Celi goodbye)  Bye, Celi !  Will we meet at the forest tomorrow to speak with our new friends ?

Celi:  Yes !  10:00 am on the dot, I'm sure the Bellfire will be waiting. 

Iris:   See ya, girly-girl !

Celi:  Catch ya on the fly, sweetie.

Olaf:  I bet you smelled dinner cooking.  I've never seen you run home so fast ! 

Iris:  Oh, dad.  I always come home to you and mama's meals.  

Leslie:  You were with Celi again today, weren't you ? 

Iris:  (astonished) How did you know that ?

Leslie:  Female intuition of course, and I'm a mom.  Gives me quite a bit of 'sage' sight.  

Olaf:  We're all pretty well peas in one giant Eriksen pod ! 

(they laugh heartily) 

Kristen:  So, I bet you two had fun, didn't you ?

Iris:  Oh yeah, we definitely did, grandma.  But we saw something strange.

Kristen: Go on, tell us.

Iris:  Please don't think me crazy, but Celi and I saw these blue orbs.

Olaf/Leslie:  The Bellfire. 
Kristen: They're back ! 

Iris:  (surprised)  Wait, you know about the Bellfire ?

Leslie:  They're immortal beings, not from our realm. 

Olaf:  They came once before but we didn't know how to communicate with them.  We weren't receptive to their message at that time.  

Kristen:  I knew they'd return though.  

Iris:  Why did they choose us as their intercessors ? 

Olaf:  The Eriksens have abilities that have been passed down from generation to generation. 

Leslie:  Some in the community shunned us because of this sight of the supernatural.   However, there were many who supported us and didn't burn us at the steak for supposed 'heracy'. 

Kristen:  It was during the Witch Trials that we were persecuted the hardest.  Ostracized, terrorized, even killed.  There were sly Eriksens that fled underground and began a community until the Witch Hunters died out.  We saw all sorts of creatures then, but never the Bellfire. 

Iris:  When did you start seeing them ?

Olaf:  It was before your mother and I met, but it was in the forest.  We were barely even adults, just on the cusp of making our imprint upon Sweden. 

Iris:  So you saw them where we did ?

Leslie: Yes.  It's sacred ground. 

Iris:  Maybe the reception is better for their signal to get across.  I don't know how it works.  I'm not a physicist.  

Kristen: It is a point of curiosity for us all though.  Their return could not have been more syncronistic. 

Olaf:  (nodding)  Indeed.  We have to keep this a secret between the Eriksens.

Iris:  (narrating)  And that we did.  Celi and I made a pinky promise that next day.   Somehow though, a classmate of mine, Neil Thorson. 

(scene shift)

Scene 3--Whispers Overheard

Neil:  You two are out of your minds.

Iris:  Why do you say that ?

Celi: You overheard our private conversation ?

Neil:  I can't help it.  What you were talking about was interesting.  The other kids were playing Pokemon Go and I got bored, fast.  I've already beaten it and tried playing chess with the other kids.  I can't find anyone to beat me though.   I'd play Iris, but I'm sure she'd get the upper hand on me.

Iris:  You know I would, Neil.  Now, why do you say we're nuts ?

Neil:  (in a petulant, curt way) You don't think blue balls of gas aren't a little unusual ? 

Celi:  Don't you dare tell...

Iris:  (narrating)  Neil told EVERYONE that day.  I wanted to crawl into a hole and watch Danish films to bore myself to death.

Celi:  Or worse.  Finnish.

(They shudder in harmony) 

Iris: (narrating)  Everyone was talking about the Bellfire.  Some had heard of them before, but only felt them to be a rumor, a colorful fairytale that the ancestors told around the campfire along with their myths.  

Celi: (narrating)  Some actually recognized them though.  They simply didn't have the 'sight' like Iris and I had.   We felt singled out.

Iris:  (narrating)  Deviant of what was considered 'normal'. 

Celi: (narrating)  The media came and started filming and we couldn't seem to get them to leave, but there were only a few who could communicate to the Bellfire. 

Iris:  (narrating)  Eventually they got fed up and left and Neil was made to look the fool.  We felt horrible though, because his feelings and reputation had been hurt and he wasn't a bad kid. 

Celi: Not by a long shot. But I know you're saying that because you have a crush on him. 

Iris:  Oh shush !  Na-uh !  No way.

Celi:  Yeah, you do.  Don't deny it. 

Iris:  Who's telling the story here, Celi ?

Celi: (laughing)  It's our story, dear.   Go on then. 

Iris:  Having a forgiving heart, we took him to the forest, and let him try to see the Bellfire.  It was his awakening. 

(Scene shift)

Scene 4--Allow Us To Open Your Eyes

Neil:  Alright.  We're here.  Where are your electrical friends ?   

Alameda: Allow me. (whizzes through him)

Neil:  (laughing heartily)  That tickles !   (eyes adjust)  Woah.  WOAH !   Wait !  Was that always there ? 

Alameda:  Yes, we were. 

Alair:  So glad to meet you. 

Neil:  I'm sorry I doubted.  I didn't mean to deride or belittle you ! 

Celi:  Apology accepted.  You were always our friend, you just had the wrong motives in mind when your parents contacted the media.

Neil:  They were looking for a story.  I only wanted to help.  I didn't know greed would poison the situation.

Iris:  (hand on his shoulder)  It's alright.  

Abbott: We're here to share the wisdom of the Cosmos with you today. 

Celi:  (eager)  This ought to be stellar.  Ha !  I kill me ! 

(The Bellfire laugh) 

Aeola:  (they all harmonize)

Iris: (narrating)  Their wisdom came in chant and tribal song.  It told us of where to find unending, free-flowing energy.  We're still too young to figure out the particle physics of it, but granted, we're dedicating our life to its birth. 

Celi:  (narrating)  Everything they knew they implanted in our minds in song, and then...

Iris:  They were gone !

Celi:  They never returned.  We wanted to feel sadness. 

Iris:  Yet, we felt none.  We see traces of their influence in our dreams with their conversations.

Celi:  Yet, wherever they are, I hope they are pleased with what we have accomplished so far.  I am only a tween now.  I have a lot of inventing to do when I become older.  

Iris:  We both do. 

Neil:  I'm in, and so are the rest of our clan.

Iris:  (narrating)  No, we'd never forget what the Bellfire had taught us or their message of tolerance and love.   Their energy still lingers inside our hearts and their positivity mingles with everyone we come across.  If you come to Luxenborg some day, you might even get a taste of the residue of the Bellfire effect.   It still brings the tourists in to this day. A lot of travelers say it is holy.  I say it is beautiful, and full of unconditional love.  We adore spreading it around with complete strangers.

Celi:  That just sounds perverse.

Iris: Only to you, darling.
(They laugh) 
Celi:  What would you do without me ?

Iris:  Oh, you !

(The End.  Credits roll, blooper reel.  Thanks to Friends at work who made this work possible and the actual sight of orbs/wisps in my life.  I attribute that to inspiring me to write this script.  To sightings of mom and dad in my dream and my most recent reverie of us singing I Dreamed A Dream on stage, decked out in finery.  It let me know all is well, and everything will be alright in the end.  If it is not yet alright, it is not yet the end.  He's still very much attached to me and the house and honestly, I am glad.  I know I am never alone, nor will I ever be.   The lesson that Bellfire has taught me too, is kindness is the most simple, easy and underestimated force and balm in our world.  It's easy to practice and people really do appreciate it, even though some don't know how to respond to it.   Kindness is a great healer, and turns enemies into friends.) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers