Common Thread



Synopsis: Cora Wright is the type of woman who can talk to anyone.  Interesting random strangers she uncovers what makes us all human and those things that we hold dear.   On her travels, she meets an adventurous, fun-loving soul named Nathan and falls in love with him, and he her.   They never planned on their paths adjoining. 

~*~CAST~*~
Cora Wright:
Rachel Wright: (her mom)
Victor Wright: (her dad)
Matilda Wright: (her grandma)
Donavan Worth: (Cora’s employer)
Florence Worth: (his wife) 
Wendy Worth: (their daughter)
Caspar Worth: (their son) 
Nathan Perth: 
Adrian Perth: (his dad)
Nathan Perth: 
Merit Williams:  (Nicholas’ best friend)
Donna Chang:  (Cora’s best friend)
Wilson Li:  (random person Cora talks to)
Bay Moon: (random person Cora talks to)
Theodora Clemens: (random person Cora talks to)
Roberta Hill: (random person Cora talks to) 

Scene 1—The Gift of Gab
Rachel:  Morning, gumdrop ! 
Victor:  Good morning, star shine ! 
Cora:  (Brightly, with energy)  Morning, mom, dad.  How did you sleep ?
Rachel:  Fitfully.   We’re hoping you get word of your new job today.
Cora:  (hugging them both) I know, it’s nerve wracking.  I was hoping Mr. Worth would call me today about the journalism gig.   It’s what I’ve always wanted. 
Victor:  Well, you have such a gift for gab, my darling.  You’re so gifted.  People just want to cozy up to you and tell you their life’s story. 
Cora:  (chuckling)  I feel I should be a psychiatrist.  
Rachel:  It’s because of your listening ear and your giving spirit. 
Cora:  As one of my favorite cartoon characters says, ‘It never hurts to help’.  
(They all laugh) 
Victor:  Didn’t Eek the Cat say that too ?  
Rachel:  Yeah, but unlike Wander, helping people never ended in him getting hurt more than anything !  Poor kitty-cat ! 
Cora:  I’m more like Wander than Eek, though.   However, Eek always did have an indomitable spirit. 
(They all concur.) 
(The phone rings) 
Victor/Rachel:  Fingers crossed ! 
Cora:  (picking up the phone)  Hello, Wright residence. 
(split screen) 
Don:  Hello, Cora !  It sure is grand to hear your jovial voice again ! 
Cora:  Better to hear yours. Mr. Worth. 
Don:  I have sensational news.  I have decided to hire you.   Your first day is Friday, 9:00 am.  Don’t be late.  I know I can count on you to deliver exceptional stories. 
Cora:  (enthralled)  Thank you, Sir.   I won’t let you down.
Don:  Please.  Call me Don !   ‘Sir’ is so formal ! 
Cora:  Of course S-I mean, Don.   Thank you.  Thank you so much !
Don:  No, thank you for being yourself.   See you Friday. 
Cora:   Sure will !  (hangs up phone and squeals, dancing around)  I got the position ! 
Victor:  Great !  
Rachel:  We knew you would !   Pretty soon you can have enough money to buy your own place. I know you’ve been down on your luck recently. 
Cora:  (chagrinned)  I wouldn’t have wanted it this way.  I’m in my mid-twenties after all.  I should be able to look after myself after all the hard work I put in after college. 
Rachel:  By no means is my daughter imposing upon us !  (she hugs her close and kisses her cheek, tweaking her nose)
Cora:  MOM !   Stop that ! 
Rachel:  Hey, you’re still my little girl.  I can tweak your beak all I want ! 
Victor:   This calls for a celebration.   Who wants to go to the Hibachi grill ?
Cora:  (raising her hand, eagerly)  Ooo, Ooo, OOO !  Mr. Carter !  Mr. Carter ! 
Rachel:  You’re such a loon, darling.
Cora:  Only because it’s an inherited trait. 
(Scene fade) 
Scene 2—Go Forth and Interview
Cora: (looking her best and whistling ‘I’m Every Woman’)
Donna:  Where are we off to so early, and in such high spirits ? 
Cora:  I got the job, Donna ! 
Donna:  (comes forth to hug her)  Starting on a weekend ?  Jeez, that sucks.
Cora:  I’m not complaining. 
Donna:  (patting her on the back with unbridled fervor)  I couldn’t be gladder for you !   Go get ‘em, Tigress ! 
Cora:   I can tell a story and listen better than anyone I know.   Seems to me, I’ve found my ultimate calling.  
Donna:  (kisses her cheek)  Go out there, knock ‘em dead, sweetheart.  
Cora:  Will do, babe  ! 
(She comes into the office singing ‘Ladies Night’ and Don’s there, impressed.)
Don:  Someone’s up rather bright and early.   The mark of a dedicated journalist and interviewer.  I knew I had made the right decision. 
Florence:  (with a hot pot of coffee)  Coffee ?  
Cora:  Typically I don’t need it, but sure, why not ?  Black, please. 
Florence:  Someone likes to be bold in the morning !  (she laughs, pouring her a cup and giving it to her)
Cora:  Thank you, Florence.  
Florence:  Anyone needs me, I’ll be a few cubicles down. 
Cora:  What’s it like working with your wife ?
Don: (dreamily)  A dream come true.   My son, Caspar, works here too.  After all, he’s going to inherit the newspaper business when I retire.   It won’t be family owned always but it will be attributed to the Worth name. 
Cora:  Could Caspar not make it today ?
Don:  He’s on vacation currently.   Off in the Virgin Islands.  Lucky dog.  
Cora:  Gee.  That is very fortunate.  
Don:  Could you handle his paperwork for him after you’ve done your interviews ?
Cora:  (bravely, posing like Rosie the Riveter)  I can do it ! 
Florence:  Ha !  I don’t doubt it !   With broad shoulders like that, I’m sure you can do anything. 
Don:  You haven’t seen her writing,  Florence.  This woman is pure gold.  Her prose sings ! 
Cora:  Don’t praise me too much, it’ll inflate my ego.   I’d better go interview people.   It’s not going to happen  by itself ! 
(Scene shift)
Scene 3—Stories Abound
Wilson:   Oh, hey.  I noticed you were sitting here all by yourself.   Do you come here often ? 
Cora:  Not normally, no.   This is a different side of town than I’m used to.  I was a bit scared coming in here, to be honest. 
Wilson:  (exhales sharply)  That’s how the media portrays it here.   It’s always about the bad stuff.  The real bad side of town is miles away from here in the ghetto.   Thing is though it’s getting cleaned up.  
Cora:  Do you mind if I take notes ?  I was hoping to interview people but you’re giving me a tremendous story.   I’m Cora by the way. 
Wilson:  Wilson.  You can call me Will if you like.
Cora:  (chuckles) Will, I like that.  Suits you.  
Wilson: (lighthearted snicker)  Yeah, mama always said that about me. 
Cora:  (narrating)  And it was just that easy.   Mom and dad had been right.  I suppose it was my unassuming nature and gregarious ways.  Or maybe it was because I was so easy-going and kind that people just wanted to talk to me and get their troubles off their chest.   It wasn’t always about hardships.  There were always nuggets of wisdom to be passed on from each individual that came to interview me.   I wasn’t expecting what happened next though. 
Nathan:  (walking to the farmer’s market.  He can barely see over the load he’s carrying and he bumps into Cora, spilling his supplies everywhere)  Oh, nuts !  
Cora: Oh, no !   Crud !   Here…Let me help you. 
Nathan:  First day in America and I end up looking like a bloody fool. 
Cora:  No, not at all.  You just had more than you can bear. (Her eyes meet his and there’s an instant connection)  (stammers)  Um, er, ah, I’m Cora.  Cora Wright.  You’re from Australia !  I can tell by the accent.
Nathan:  (prideful of his heritage but not so much to come off too cocky, he has a suaveness about him and a beautiful smile that captivates her)   Too right !   Most people think I’m English, or worse, they think I’m from South Africa.   True, those accents are similar, but they have different tonalities.  
Cora:  I can tell.   I often called ‘Australian’ kind of our ‘country’ or southern accent.  It’s similar, but there are differences.
Nathan:  Hey, I never thought of that.   How brilliant.   You’re a genius !
Cora:  (blushing bashfully)  Now I wouldn’t go that far.   What brings you to America ? 
Nathan:   You’ll find this totally nuts, but I’m a writer.   I couldn’t make it in Australia, so I thought, why not go to the ‘land of plenty’ ?  
Cora:  (singing)  And ya come from the land of plunder.  Where women glow and men sunder.
Nathan:  Oh, brother.   We’ll never live down that terribly catchy song.  
Cora:  I can show you around.   Maybe you will be more fortunate here.   There are plenty of publishers here looking for a fresh voice.  
Nathan:   You’d do that for me ? 
Cora:   I have connections. 
Nathan:   How can I repay you ? 
Cora:  (chortling)  You don’t need to.   By the way, I never caught your name.
Nathan:  It’s Nathan.    And I do need to repay you.  How about I take you out for a cup of tea sometime, or I’ll just brew you some of my own ?
Cora:  (blushing lightly)  You’re really too kind, Nathan.
Nathan:  (in a warm, friendly way)  You can call me Nate.   Ease up on the formalities !
(he laughs) 
Cora:  How about I come and visit you tomorrow after work ?
Nathan:  I’d like that. 
Cora:  (narrating)  My heart was immediately attracted to him.   He was so full of positivity and light I couldn’t turn away.   And his laughter was music to my ears.  Just to see that smile on his handsome face was enough to make my knees weak.   Before I was aware of what had happened, I was in love with Nate and the feeling was incredibly mutual ! 
(Scene shift) 
Scene 4—Tales to Tell
Don:  (overlooking Cora’s tales)   Ooo, all of these are good.   I can see you have one thing interconnecting them.   The human experience.   I especially like this tale here you did from Ms. Moon’s point of view.
Cora:  Bay was a delight.   She’s a full blooded Cherokee and wanted to share all of her native wisdom with me.   She noticed I was sounding a bit stuffy and gave me a homeopathic remedy for it.   I haven’t tried it yet, but she says it’s 99.5% effective.  
Don:  Do you suppose we could meet all of the people that randomly spoke to you ?
Florence:  That would be amazing !   For those having so much trouble, we could start a workshop with them and help get them on their feet. 
Wendy:  You know that’s going to cost quite a bit of money, mom.  
Caspar:  I personally think it’s a splendid idea.    Our community needs good news and something positive to rally behind.   It’ll be a good contrast against all the negative press nowadays.  
Wendy:   (nodding)   After all, I think we’ve all been wanting this.   It’ll help the community grow. 
Cora:  (narrating)  Everything they said made exceptional sense.   We put our heads together, made a bake sale to cover the initial cost of the benefit and met our interviewers.   What was even funnier was the fact that my parents came unannounced and Nathan popped in to see what all the fuss was about.  
Nathan:  I couldn’t help but come.   This is absolute brilliance. 
Cora:  My boss was the one that came up with the plan.   People really need hope in this day and age.  It gives them something worth living for, especially in these dark times.
Nathan:  That’s exactly the reason I admire you so much.
Matilda:   Is that Cora’s new boyfriend, Nate ? 
Cora: (trying to hide)  Grandma, please.  Oh, God…How mortifying. 
Nate:  No, it’s terribly endearing.   Who is this fetching young woman ?
Matilda:  (bowled over)  Ooo, my !   Fresh !   This one’s a keeper, Cora.  Don’t lose him.  Hey, if you need me, I’ll be chatting up that life insurance salesman.  
Cora:  (groans)  Oy, vey.  My grandmother, still a horn dog after all these years. 
Nate:  Is that your mom and dad ?
Cora:  Yes, in fact it is.  I wasn’t expecting them. 
Rachel:  Hello, heart !   It’s so superb seeing the entire community coming together like this.  
Cora:  Don was the initial catalyst in all this.   I was thinking of naming this Helping Hands.  
Victor:   It’s the perfect title, honey !   Hey, who’s this ?  
Cora:  Dad, no, you’re mortifying me ! 
Victor:   A dad’s gotta look out for his little girl. 
Cora:  (wanting to hide in the worst way but can’t, blushing profusely) 
Nate:  Mr.  Wright has every right to look after his darling heart.  
Cora:   Nate !   Cut it out !  (blushing even more and wanting to hide even worse)
Victor:   I quite like this fellow.   Where are you from ? 
Nate:  Originally I’m Australian.  I left, however.  Couldn’t quite make a go of my writing career, so I headed over here to America.   Your lovely daughter was kind enough to give me the tour. 
Rachel:  That’s our precious jewel.  
Nate:   My dad’s still there though, and  I haven’t had time to contact him yet.   (to Cora) Would you like to meet him ? 
Cora:  W-w-woah !    Wait !   We just met !   Now you want me to meet your dad ?!  
Nate:  Why not !  Strike while the iron is hot, as the axiom goes !  
Cora:  (narrating)  Although I honestly thought I would die of utter mortification my parents were putting me through, it was a sensational time to bond.   Before long, I was getting to know Nate’s dad through Skype.  I could see where he got all of his chivalrous qualities from.   The apple certainly didn’t drop far from the tree. 
(Scene shift) 
Scene 5—Helping Hands
(‘One Year Passes’ appears on the screen) 
Don:   (appears with a cake for Cora)   Hey !  Congratulations ! 
Cora:  Whatever for ?  
Florence:  Why, for making HH a grand success !   This is our first year anniversary and it’s done so much for the community. 
Cora:  I couldn’t have done it without your help, or the support of Nate.   He’s been a rock through the institution’s rocky beginnings.  
Caspar:  (knowingly)  I heard during the last rally Nate asked you to marry him !  
Wendy:  Bet that came as a surprise !
Cora:  It did, Wendy.  I wasn’t expecting it at all.   We have grown quite fond of each other, and now I know I can’t live without him.    I think we’ve made each other’s lives better in a plethora of ways.  
Caspar:  Normally I’d gag, but that’s really a beautiful testament. 
Florence:  (nudging her playfully)  Soooo, when’s the big day ? 
Cora:  Actually it’s on the same date Nate got his first big break as a publisher !  May 28th ! 
Don:  Stellar !  
Cora:  I was thinking you could be my bridesmaid and Don could be my best man.   My best friend Donna will be helping me plan.  Coincidentally she does that professionally.  I couldn’t be happier !
Wendy: Sounds like it’s meant to be.   I get to be your flower-girl right ?
Cora: (laughing)  Even though you are a little old for the job,  yes.  I don’t know of any kids willing to take the position.  Same goes for Caspar.  
Caspar:  (triumphantly)  Yes !   I knew it !   (hugs Cora)  Cora, you are the bomb ! 
Cora:  (chortling)   Thanks !   (Caspar hugs her fervently)   (narrating)   In a whirl, I was surrounded by friends and family and getting dolled up for the biggest event of my life.  Initially I had planned it as an intimate gathering, but it turned out to be large due to Helping Hands and the lives we had changed in a short course of time.  
(Scene shift) 
Scene 6—We’ve Only Just Begun
(Can’t Stop The Feeling’ plays as the newlyweds dance to their first song together and then move on to ‘Blame it on the Boogie’, ‘Fake Sunglasses’ and other party favorites)
Adrian:  I wouldn’t have missed this for the world.   Your wife is even more precious in person than she is online.   I can see why you married her.
Cora:  (blushing hotly)  Flattery will get you everywhere, Mr. Perth ! 
Adrian:  And witty too ?  I love it ! 
Matilda:   Can I steal Adrian for a moment ?   Mama’s got fire in her heels listening to this song !
(Of course the song is Bailando, and he’s whisked away) 
Adrian:  Are all you Wrights as batty as Matty ?  
Matilda:  Batty Matty.  I quite like the ring of that !  (spins him) 
Adrian:  WOAH  !
Cora:   (hears Unchained Melody)   How did you know this was my favorite song ? 
Nate:   I’m a good listener, darling.  (kisses her deep and long) 
Cora:  (narrating)   As the song says, ‘We’ve only just begun’.   The song couldn’t be more apt.  I had never thought of getting so far in journalism before.   Now Nate had his first published book and was working on his next masterpiece.    As far as I was concerned, he was the next Jill Kerr Conway of his generation, and I was proud of him for that.  It wouldn’t be much longer before we started growing, especially in bringing a new life into the world.   It was a boy, named Victor Adrian.   Adrian left behind Oz, but still owned property for us to come and visit.   He soon found a home in America to live in and appreciated the retired life.   He often babysat little Victor, and my parents spoiled our boy rotten.  He wasn’t impossible though.    He wouldn’t’ be in the world alone too long.   He was soon accompanied by his little brother, Merit, who was so named after Nate’s best friend.   He’s doing good in Australia, reigniting the tourist industry.   Heaven only knows what tomorrow holds.   We’ve got our hands full with Merit and Victor and they’re both growing so big.   All I know is that I’ve learned from all the people that interviewed me is that all of us are on a journey and we’re in it together.   It’s exhilarating to see consciousness shift in this way, but it’ll help us all survive in uncertain times.   All I know is that Victor and Merit will come to know a gentler world than I did, and all it took was the gentle assurance and encouragement from my beloved parents and friends to convince me I was on the right path the whole time.   All I had to do was trust my heart and go forward with confidence.   That’s just what I did. 
(We see them dancing to ‘Send Someone Who Loves Me’ and having a fantastic time with their sons, while ‘Carry On’ plays.   Roll credits, bloopers and some behind the scenes action takes place.   A gentle reminder appears on the screen.  ‘Just remember, even a small action can carry a large reaction.  You too, can be the solution.’ ) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers