Facts Learned from My Pets



A short story list of wisdom gained from Peanut and Spike—Examples of love, dedication, acceptance, agape, determination, perseverance and more.


In anything, perseverance is key.  Each morning, I am awakened by two ravenously starved beasts, both domesticated quadrupeds, begging for me to satiate their hunger.   They stop at nothing until I am awake.   The feline, Peanut, spares no expense.  He goes so far to put his cold, damp paw on my cheek to assure that I am alert and at full attention before I commence feeding him.   The dog, Spike, has also taught me the meaning of pure determination and how one look can speak volumes.  Every morning, he has no way of letting me know he has to use the bathroom other than a severe, focused stare as well as a few whines, grunts and snorts combined with energetic boundings off the side of my bed.   This is all I need to realize that the dog needs to relieve himself.

            I have learned the value of unbridled agape.  A dog or cat will not judge you if you have halitosis, or if you might have gained an extra pound over the holiday season.   These wonderful creatures won't remember if you accidentally yelled at them out of frustration or if you were mean to them when you weren't 'in your right mind'.   This is the closest we ever reach God's love here on earth besides the constant reminders we see in nature day in and day out.
They are the incarnation of perfect love and an example to us 'higher beings'.  If we could love as innocently as pets do, then the world would most likely be a better place.

            Also from animals, I have learned that thinking of oneself only is never the way to experience a happy, fulfilling existence.   Instead of thinking of myself, I think of others around me and how I effect their lives.   Each one of us can either imprint something positive on another or negatively imprint someone else's life.    Pets are positive reminders that love is unspoiled, pure and sweet, much like honey.   Without its nourishment, a person can become bitter.  So the more we feed on love or give 'sugar' to others, the better off we will be and the longer we will live.
           
            Sometimes situations are quelled by softness, rather than a harsh bark.   I taught my dog how to take food from my hand 'gently'.  He understands if I state 'gentle' then he won't gnaw my fingers off or bite impulsively.   There are moments that we, as human beings, can be rash.
We should take an example from Spike and be cautious with how we implement our mouths.
As for how we act, a great model of manners would be Peanut.  He is very tender and wakes me with a gentle 'meow' in the morning when he sees that I am almost nearly alert.  

            Pets are fantastic confidence boosters.  As one T-shirt put it, “Lord, please help me be the kind of person my cat/dog perceives me as.”   I really do believe quadrupeds, whatever their size, or birds, reptiles, fish, bring out the best in people.  And there are times I like animals better than my own friends.  Who else can you go to who will listen to you unapologetically and won't turn you away because they are too busy ?   They also teach you patience, kindness and humility.  All these virtues help the owner to mature, and I have noticed my animals having this effect on me.   I know when I have children, this experience will carry over to them as well and when they are big enough, I will teach them the responsibility of caring for an entity that relies on their owner for every last need they require.  

            Lastly, if anything I have learned from pets it is to be grateful.  They cannot say 'thank you' verbally, but do in their own ways, with jubilance and a serenity that is positively contagious.   This is the ultimate lesson pets can pass on to their owners.  And we think we're the superior species !   So long as we keep ourselves open to the lessons we are taught from our pets, I feel the world will be a better place in the long run. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers