Got My Kicks On Route 66

 Only recently, I returned from one of the best, most righteous road trips I have ever been on.   It was a quick 80 MPH trip from Effingham, Illinois (HUGE CROSS, HO !) into Saint Louis (Defiant Arch, where you at ?), until we landed ourselves in Sullivan.   Here, Roamin' Rich was hosting the 'Relight the Night' event at the Shamrock Court.   This old motel used to host motorists traveling along the 'old route' 66 before freeways and interstates made 66 'obsolete'.   Of course, there are historians and gearheads alike that want to still travel it for nostalgia and fun (as well as seeing some CHERRY classic cars).   It was like being in heaven.  The last time I saw so many classic cars, I was at Mecum auctions, but this was far better, since I got to see classics I usually don't see often.    From the event, we went back to Cuba, Missouri, where we stayed at a really spiffy hotel that was quite cheerily decorated.   The people were kind, the company was incredible and when we awoke, we met two Russians traveling the country.  They know people back 'home' and also have friends in the Ukraine.   I have friends on both sides, so I know both stories but most Russians are against it since they have relatives there and Ukranians vice versa.  They were really sweet people and the guy looked an awful lot like Pewdiepie.   It was almost uncanny.   After this, we visited historic uptown, where murals splash the old buildings and tell the story of the town.  It is really quite impressive.    We visited Meremec Springs, where an abandoned rail bridge and railroad still stood.   You could walk across the entirety of the bridge, but not the railroad.    I even saw a swift, which aren't common in Indiana.    We met so many interesting people who had fascinating stories to tell about 66.   It was obvious to see how passionate they were about keeping the history alive.   I felt the same about Rich, who was responsible for renovating the Shamrock itself.   Wagon Wheel was another project of his, and it is perfect.   People can spend the night and experience Americana first hand.  I missed the opportunity to see the original Tow-Mater.   Tow-Mater was inspired by a man who could turn his legs completely backward !   How weirdly incredible is that ?    Needless to say, I had a blast and would love to come back to Hannibal, Garrison Keillor's home and Branson, where Rainforest Adventures is located.   There will be another opportunity someday, and I will welcome it with open arms. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers