Shipsville

Synopsis:   A campground to get people together.  The founder is Lyla Love, coincidentally enough.   She falls head over heels for someone in the opposite camp, Splitsville named Conrad Grimes.  An iron clad rule Shipsville campers have is never to fall in love with Splitsville campers, but the feeling between them is mutual.   

~*~CAST~*~
Lyla Love:
Shyla Love: (her mother)
Raul Love: (her father)
Tina Beerman: (Lyla’s fellow CEO, Head of Hathor Cabin)
Sheldon Thomas: (Tina’s love)
Drake Jensen: (Sheldon’s best friend)
Grace Dobbs: (Lyla’s friend)
Sonja Matthias:  
Sai Patel: (Sonja’s love)
Conrad Grimes:  
Neil Grimes: (his father)
Bexley Grimes: (his mother)
Hayden Hughes: (Conrad’s fellow CEO, Head of Chasm Cabin)
Rodolfo Cortez: (another Splitsville camper)
Benson Laird:
Duane Patterson:  
Lorenzo Ferrari:  

Scene 1--Saying Farewell to a Friend and Coworker

Lyla:   Tina, I’m really going to miss you.  I don’t understand why you’re leaving Shipsville behind.  

Tina:  It brought me everything I needed, exactly when I needed it.  You were the founder.  Had it not been for you I wouldn’t have met Sheldon.   

Lyla:  Shel is a pretty swell guy.  You two were knit from the same cloth.

Tina:  (astonished)  To think I met him in Hathor, where I’m the matron.  

Lyla: (placing an affectionate hand on Tina’s shoulder)  I can head that cabin and continue being the Boss of Shipsville.  It’ll be hard finding a replacement though.   You’ve been such an excellent CEO.   (she hugs her, teary eyed)  

Tina:  Stop.  Save some of those tears for the wedding.  (she dries her eyes)  Lyla, you’re going to be fine.   Besides, you’re the best friend and bridesmaid a gal like me could ask for.   You’re beyond swell, you’re Lylatacular !  

Lyla:  No one’s ever made me into an adjective before.  I’m mightily honored by that.   

Tina:  We need to get ready for the morning meaning.  None of the campers know this news yet, but they will soon enough.  

(‘Hey Good Lookin’, Whatcha Got Cookin’ as played by Buckwheat Zydeco plays while the two of them get the other campers served and fed.  They sing the Shipsville anthem and get the attention of the room.)  

Lyla:  How’s everyone doing today ?  Shipstastic I hope.   

Campers:  Shipstastic !  

Lyla:  Good because I’m splendid.  Let’s sail right into morning announcements, shall we ?    Our beloved Tina Beerman is getting married to Sheldon Thomas.

(Another fellow camper nudges Sheldon from the side)

Drake:  You sly dog.   I didn’t know you two had a thing together.  

Sheldon:  Where have you been, buddy ?  (they laugh)  

Lyla:  I have already chosen Grace to take upon your priorities once you’ve been married.   

Grace:  Thank you.  This is highly unexpected.   

Lyla:  We believe in you.  We know you can do it.   You’ll be a great Captain for Hathor Cabin, too.  

Grace:  (determined)  I won’t let you down.  

Lyla:  With that covered, what say we get to our itinerary of the day ?

Sai:  I was thinking of starting the day off with a bit of a bang.  (whispers to Drake)   Hit it !   

(Starts singing and dancing to ‘Sonya’ from KKKG.)  

Sonya:  Awww, Sai.  I didn’t know you felt that way.  

Sai: (after finishing he holds Sonya’s hands tenderly)  I’ve kept it to myself long enough.  Thanks to being in the camp though, I’ve found a way to get my thoughts out in the open in front of a team of supporters.  

Sheldon:  Go Sai !  (pats him on the back)  

Sonya:  (kisses him gently)  We owe it to you, Lyla.  Had we never signed up for your camp we never would’ve met one another.   

Lyla:  It’s scientifically proven.   The compatibility profiles we do are spot on.  

Drake:   (nodding) Definitely.  

Lyla:  (They all file outside for physical activity.  Everyone’s doing something different but couples are sticking together.  Lyla starts watching birds but then spots someone from Splitsville in her binoculars)  No...It couldn’t be…

(Bad Company plays in the background)  

Conrad:  (sees Lyla from a distance, to himself)  It’s the most beautiful creature in existence.   (torn)  We have an ironclad rule, though.   Never...ever fall for Shipsville campers.   It defeats the purpose of our camp entirely.   DOn’t look through your binoculars again...Damn it !   (Your Heart Is A Weapon plays in the background)  

(An animated sequence of the two coming together and touching hands is shown.  They are deeply enticed, enchanted, enraptured and captivated by each other, that much is certain.   Scene fade.)

Scene 2--A Cardinal Rule, Broken

Tina:  (looking at Lyla’s expression)  Lyla, is there something wrong ?  You’ve been acting very distant today.  You’ve been super ditsy.  (waves hand in front of her)  Ground control to Major Lyla.  Come in, Lyla.

Lyla:  (dreamy sigh)  I’ve broken a cardinal rule, Tina.

Tina:  How can you say that ?  (covers mouth) No.  You didn’t !   

Lyla:  I’ve fallen for a Splitsville camper.   Such a thing has never been done in the history of Shipsville and its founding.   

Tina:  There are plenty of single guys around us.   Why couldn’t you have fallen for one of them ?

Lyla:   He’s got style.   That steely eyed look behind those bad boy aviators.  (smitten sigh)  He’s got a dragon tattoo on his arm and it only makes him more attractive.   I want to run my fingers through that long blond rocker hair of his.  And my GOD almighty can he sport a Luau T.   He’s got swag.  

Tina:  You have got it bad for Conrad Grimes, don’t cha ?

Lyla:  Yes.  I don’t even know him but I’m drawn to him. I’m just afraid I’ll be excommunicated if I act on my feelings.   Their bylaws mirror ours !   

Tina:  So what if it’s an ironclad rule.   That silly book was written centuries ago, it’s terribly outdated.   Time to shake things up.   

Lyla: (hugs her)  Girl, what would I do without you ?

Tina:  Follow your heart.   It’s what you always teach us isn’t it ?  Time for you to start living by that principal.

Lyla:  You’re absolutely correct.  (takes a deep inhale in and goes out, walking with confidence.  She hears one of the fellow Splitsville campers playing ‘The Lady With The Yellow Dress’ with plenty of soul, but he stops as soon as he sees her coming.)  

Lorenzo:  Guys, I don’t believe it.  It’s a Shipsville camper coming over here !  What should we do ?

Duane:  Defend our territory the best way we know how !   BRUTE FORCE !   YEAAAHHHHHHHH !  

Benson:  Duane, you’re a moron sometimes.   

Duane:  I was just being honest and OH CRAP she’s getting closer.  

Conrad:  Let her in.  

Lorenzo:  (raised eyebrow)  Excuse ?    We’re mortal enemies…

Conrad: Perhaps we have been for too long.  Open the doors, men.  

Benson:  As you like.  

(When Conrad sees Lyla, ‘Hysteria’ plays in the background.  He sees cherry blossoms and birds behind her singing merrily and he nearly floats to her.)

Conrad:  Please excuse my comrades, they tend to be a bit territorial.

Lyla: I can see that.  (offers hand) I’m Lyla.   

Conrad: (instead of shaking her hand he kisses it)  I’m Conrad.  Charmed I’m sure.  What brings you to enemy territory ?

Lyla:  I couldn’t stay away.  

Conrad:  (leads her to a quiet room where they can’t be disturbed) Ah, much better.   Sorry about that chilly reception you had earlier.   We tend to be a bit jaded and bitter when it comes to love.   We celebrate the boons of bachelorhood.  

Lyla:  I don’t see what’s so wrong about that.   

Conrad:  I wasn’t a believer in love at first sight until I saw you.  I never knew or cared what you guys did ovt over there but now my inquisitive nature got the better of me.   

Lyla:  (reaches over and holds his hand, stroking it)  No shame in being curious.  

Conrad:  I hope you don’t think I’m being too forward, but I want to get to know you better.   This may well change Splitsville forever, but change is always welcome as far as I am concerned.   (he starts singing ‘I Was Wrong’ and spinning her into his arms, where she meets his gaze.   The lock eyes for a moment, unable to speak.   She leans forward to kiss him and they lose each other in a romantic smooch for a while.  ‘Besame Mucho’ plays until they are interrupted.)  

Benson:  (nearly gags seeing the two together)  Come on, break it up.  
(pushes her out the door)  

Lyla: No...Conrad…

Lorenzo:  Sorry, both of you.   Conrad I hate to do this to you, but...You’re excommunicated.  

Conrad:  Wait.  What ?   For breaking the cardinal rule ?  Don’t I get a say in this ?

Duane:   I think we should hear him out, Lorenzo.  

Benson:  I think he should be hung by his toenails… (huffs and seethes)  Dirty little fraternizer.   

Lorenzo:  Oh, cool it, Benson. You’re just jealous of Conrad’s relationship.  

Benson:  Touche.   

Conrad:  So I fell in love !  (defiant)  So what !  I have been looking at this all wrong.   I was blinded by loathing, envy and other bitter emotions.   I didn’t realize that until Lyla came into view.   I am awed by her radiance, kindness, beauty, intellect and magnitude.

Lyla:    I had never known what Splitsville did, but I see nothing wrong in it.  You’re just handling matters differently.   For every Shipsville there should be a Splitsville.  Life is based off balance.   

Conrad:  Maybe so.   

Benson: You cost so much less than a therapist does, too.   

Lorenzo:  He’s got a great point there.   

Conrad:  I think we should incorporate both our methods.   

Hayden:  No, no way.  Bad idea.  I’m inheriting this place long after you are gone and ain’t no way we’re changing anything for this little philly here.   

Conrad:  Hayden, why does everything have to be so difficult with you ?  

Hayden: (Takes him aside)  You’re letting this pretty young thing affect your judgement.   Before we had no troubles.   

Rodolpho:  I for one agree with Hayden.   We can’t work together.  It’ll ruin everything we’ve worked for over the years.   

Conrad:  So, I guess that means I’m still excommunicated.

Hayden:  Those in favor…
(They all agree)  

Conrad:  I thought you guys were my friends.  You really know how to hurt a guy.
Rodolpho:  It’s for your own good, Conrad.   

(Conrad turns his back on his friends)  

Conrad:  I lost my livelihood but, I gained you.   

Lyla:  I never would’ve figured you for an optimist.   

Conrad:  Only my parents know my true nature.  I’ve kept that a secret for so long, it feels good to air it out in the open.  

Lyla:  Maybe you could work for me. You play guitar right ?

Conrad: (with a glittering smile, feeling a bit better about himself even though something terrible currently happened to him)  Yes, I do.   

Lyla:  We’re having a dance this weekend.  Would you like to entertain for us ?

Conrad:  (slyly)  Are you offering me a job ?  You’re such a dear.

Lyla:  What type of friend would I be if I didn’t help you ?  (Narrating)  Splitsville went its own way and continued helping bachelors heal after breakups.   Conrad became our entertainer.  His voice was nothing short of ethereal.   I couldn’t get enough of it…

(Scene fade)  

Scene 3--Adrift in Love        

Tina:  (waves hand in front of Lyla’s face)  You really love him, don’t you ?  

Lyla:  (lost for a moment, dreamily, comes back to reality)  Oh.  I am so sorry.   

Tina:  I’ve seen the way he looks at you, how he sings and carries himself.   His smile is contagious.   You’re lucky.  Seems like a real keeper.  You two should be dancing though.   

Lyla:  I was thinking I would invite him to the wedding.  I know it’s a bit sudden, but I should ask him, you know ?  

Tina:  Good going.  Do you know anything about his family life ?   

Lyla:  He knows about mine.  Mom and dad are really happy about it and seem to approve.  His side, though, no clue.   I keep getting lost in those sexy, come hither eyes.  Before I know it, I’m in his arms and we’re smooching like kissing fish.  

Tina:  You’d best tell him sometime.   Don’t be afraid, just be yourself.  

Lyla:  (deep breath, walks up to Conrad)  Remarkable playing, sweetie.  

Conrad:  I always get inspired when you’re around !   (huge smile)  So, what’s up ?

Lyla:  Well, I was wondering.  What do your parents think about me ?

Conrad:  My parental units huh ?   Wow.  I knew this was coming !   Thank heaven I’m prepared.   (deep breath)  They love you.  They think you’re a class act.  They want to meet you.  

Lyla:  See, that’s the thing, I was wondering if you wanted to attend Tina’s upcoming wedding.   I want to dance with you.  

Conrad:  (anxiously)  I don’t really like dancing in front of other people.

Lyla:  But you have such extraordinary moves.   

Conrad: (hand behind head)  When I was younger, I took a jazz class.  I was teacher’s pet.  One day, a fellow classmate, Nelson, tripped me and laughed out loud.  He was always picking on me.  Even during our big performance, he always found a way to make me look bad.    I fell on my face during a national competition.  The derisive laughter, snickering, mocking and finger pointing were enough to make me never want to dance in front of anyone ever again.

Lyla:  Even if you trip up, it doesn’t matter.  I’ll help you up.   Don’t be scared.  

Conrad:  You know, I’ve never known anyone like you.  I wish I could’ve met you sooner, that way I could have loved you longer.   

Lyla:   You have me now and we have plenty of time to make up.  

Conrad:  That’s true.  I’ve got one more set to play, then I’m turning it over to your campers for the remainder of the evening.   

Lyla:  I’ll be right here, waiting with open arms.   (narrating)  I spent the rest of the evening listening to Conrad’s heart beating, lost in the intoxicating aroma of his musk.   I hated to kiss him goodnight but I wasn’t expecting what would happen next.  
(Scene fade)  

Scene 4--Surprise Proposal

Tina:  (all dressed up looking more beautiful than a princess)  The big day’s finally here.  I appreciate you helping me get ready and to keep me from crying.  Last thing I want to do is ruin my mascara.  

Lyla:  (hugs her friend close, kissing her cheek)  I don’t think Sheldon is going to care one way or another.    Come on, I hear Mendelssohn's March !  That’s your cue.  

Tina:  Oy, vey...My legs are so wobbly.

Lyla: Don’t worry, I’ve got you.   You can do this.  You and Sheldon are the perfect couple.   

Tina:  (feeling faint)  What if we mess up though ?

Lyla:  (Helps her up)  We all make mistakes, cookie.   We’re only human.   You can get through anything together.  That’s what Conrad’s taught me.   Come to think of it, I think he even coordinated the guys at Splitsville to come and cheer you on.

Tina:  Even after the whole ‘excommunication’ thing ?  

Lyla:  Yeah.  They realized they had been too harsh.  Hayden’s running the camp now and they’ve changed some things.   Falling in love is no longer against their rules, and it isn’t against ours either.    

Tina:  About time. (sweetly) Love wins !  

Lyla:  I know !   Isn’t it grand ? (narrating)  Funny how friendship works sometimes.  The guys knew they were being too harsh with Conrad and rallied around him as he surprised me.  

Conrad:  (kneeling during Unchained Melody)  If I don’t do this now I’m going to regret it for the rest of my life.  

Lyla:  But it’s Tina’s wedding.  Don’t you think you’re attracting more attention to us proposing to me ?

Conrad:  I like to be big and bold in my declarations.  I don’t think Tina would mind.

(Both sets of parents watch from a distance, Tina gives her a wink.   They all dance to Ebb Tide.)

Shyla:  Congrats, sugar !   We found it so hard to keep this a secret from you.

Lyla:  Wait.  You guys knew all this time ?

Bexley:  We sure did.  Don’t let your mother fool you.  Her name might be Shyla, but keeping her lips zipped about this little operation was really tough.   (she laughs)  

Neil:  Welcome to our family, Lyla.   

Lyla:  Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Grimes.  

Bexley:  (chortling)  So formal !  You can call me Bexley.  

Neil:  Neil is far more suitable for me.   No need to be so serious.   We’re at a wedding for heaven’s sake.   

Raul:  I think I hear my song coming up.   Might I have this dance, darling ?

(The Great Bank Heist plays in the background.  Raul’s really swinging.)

Shyla:  Might I cut in, Raul ?

Raul:  By all means, buttercup.   

Conrad:  My turn !   (does a bit of a Lindy Hop with Lyla.  They laugh and have a ball)   His friends are even having a blast.)  

Lorenzo:  I hope there aren’t any hard feelings between us.   We should’ve been in contact before now.  

Conrad:  Water under the bridge, Lorenzo.  I see Hayden’s really taken care of the camp and the grounds.   It looks even better than when I owned it.

Hayden:  I guess it’s the OCD and boy scout in me.   

Conrad:  Keep up the good work, man !  (pats him on the shoulder)   

Benson:  So, what now ?   

Conrad:  We start planning !   I’m going to need your help. (kisses Lyla’s cheek gently and begins whispering to his friends)

(scene shift and we see Lyla at her own wedding dancing with Conrad.  Some of the Splitsville guys have their own wives now and are having a ball at Lyla’s big day.  ‘Eternal Flame’ plays in the background as well as ‘Love Will Keep Us together’ and ‘La Vie En Rose.’)  

Conrad: (savoring this slow dance with her, nearly whispering in her ear) This is everything I envisioned and more.  I can’t believe I kept my heart closed to this for so many years.   Yet, you shone light through me and I’m like a solar panel, energized, ready to take on anything the world throws at me.  

Lyla:  (nestling close to him, her head on his heart)  I couldn’t ask for anything more.   

Shyla:  (nostalgically) This really takes me back, Raul.  

Raul:  It’s just like yesterday.  That fire we have, it still burns brightly in my heart.  

Shyla:  (kisses him lovingly) You’re so sentimental.

Raul:  (running fingers through her hair) You wouldn’t have me any other way, ma coeur.   

Bexley:  I haven’t seen Raddy this happy in years.  Lyla really has brought out the best in him.  His music career is really taking off, too.  

Neil:  Understandably.  Look at the source material he has as his muse.  (they laugh)  

Lyla:   (narrating)  It was a new chapter in my life.  Grace had long since taken over Shipsville since I was wed but she took upon her new responsibilities with vigor, zest, zeal and gusto.   Splitsville had turned into ‘Recovery Cove’.  Strangely, that was Hayden’s idea after he met Grace.  It’s funny how love works.   It indeed is conqueror of any malady I can think of.   Life has become so busy for us, especially with little Diana making her way into our world and into our hearts.  She’s been keeping us guessing.   We also got a Husky puppy named Arctic.  I don’t know who’s more hyper, Arctic or Diana.   I never envisioned my life unfolding in this miraculous way, but honestly I can’t think of anything better.   

(‘I’m Gonna Make This Place Your Home’ plays in the background as we see baby and puppy interacting and the two adjusting to their responsibilities as parents but still deeply in love.   Shipsville and Recovery Cove are now linked moreso now than ever and the story continues.  Bloopers are shown, ‘Be Wherever You Are’ plays as well as ‘Keep It Movin’ and ‘Groove’.   I’d like to thank everyone who has supported me. Your friendship is my treasure and I hold it dear daily, thanking God for it and everything else he has given me.)  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers