Chimi & Changa: My Super Green Quincanera

Synopsis:  Mariposa is getting ready to celebrate the biggest day of her life, her Quinceanera.  It’s a rite of passage all girls in the Latino community go through to commemorate the passage of girlhood into womanhood.   Changa, on the other hand, has other plans for our budding (snickers) young woman and happens to bring some of her specialty ‘brownies’ to the blast and blast takes upon a whole new meaning.   

~*~CAST~*~
Conchita ‘Chimi’ Lopez:
Ferdinand Lopez:
Bruno Lopez: (their son)
Mariposa ‘Mary’ Lopez: (their daughter)
Enrique ‘Ricky’ Jesus Miguel Iglesias: (Mary’s love interest)
Lupita Chiquita: (her mom)
Salvador Chiquita: (her dad)  
Joaquin Chiquita: (her grandpa)  
Lori Chang:  
Li Chang: (her dad)  
Bluebell Chang:  (her mom)
Kabe Chang: (her grandfather)
Fiona Chang: (her grandmother)
Solomon Cohen: (Jake’s dad)  
Esther Cohen: (Jake’s mom)
Rebecca Cohen: (Jake’s grandmother)
Evette Bern:
Daniel ‘Danny’ Bern:  
Nadia Tilling: (Mary’s bff)
Adrianna Farfalle: (Mary’s bff)
Wendy DeSoto: (Mary’s bff)   
Amalda Gonzales: (Bruno’s love interest)
Lilly Singh: (dream sequence)  

“Use this time to prepare.   Prepare for arrival, for purpose, for discovery.’--Nounemon, Marina J. Lostetter


Scene 1--Surprising Mariposa

Mariposa:  (narrating)  Growing up Latina is an experience all it’s own.   In American culture, there’s a rite of passage every girl undergoes known as a Sweet Sixteen.  Guys go through a ‘Strong Sixteen’, whether they speak of it or not, it’s simply underrated. As for me, I know my Quinceanera is coming up !  I’m turning 15. I can’t believe it. It really does come upon you like a thief in the night. I am really looking forward to it. My boyfriend Enrique is coming.   I haven’t seen him in a while because he’s so busy taking care of his sick grandma. I hope she gets better soon.

(We see a montage of different Quinceaneras and the tradition of gifts, music, food and the like.   Changa has come in with her family and Evette has come in with her husband. Thanks to Chimi’s influence, the two are a happily married couple now.)

Chimi:  Evette !  It’s so good to see you, chica !  

Eve:  I didn’t think you’d invite me.  

Chimi:  Remember what I said last time about ‘water under the bridge’ ?  It’s over, pasado ! Here, we’re gonna celebrate my daughter’s 15th birthday !   

Eve:  She looks absolutely stunning.   

Ferdi:  (embraces her from the side)  Yes, we’re very proud of our little Mary.   
(laughs)  There’s Bruno, out on the floor, trying to impress his girlfriend.   That’s my son ! (goes off dancing in another direction)

Chimi:  (chuckles)  Ferdi goes wherever the music leads him.  He’s the lord of the dance. (happy sigh)  

Dan:   I think that’d be my cue to get you out on the dance floor, missy !  (spins her around spontaneously)


Eve:  Dan ! What’s gotten into you ?

Dan:  Celebratory vibes and Latin music.  I can’t keep my feet still !

(The two of them dance away and Eve says her goodbyes.)

Changa:  (has a pan full of her signature ‘brownies’, which Chimi finds suspicious)  I cam with extra eats. Should be enough to fill this crowd and I have more out in the low-rider.    

Chimi:  (a little sternly) Changa, no !   How many times do I have to reprimand you ?   It’s like you’re a very bad dog, trying to eat the turkey off the thanksgiving table.   

Changa:  After all this time, I thought you had loosened up a bit.   Chimi (slinks over to her and hugs her close) honey, baby, boobala.   This is a party.

Chimi: Doi !  I know that. But I don’t want that here.   

Changa:   Chimi, darling.   This is a once in a lifetime opportunity.   

Chimi:  (relents and finally gives in)  You didn’t use the type that zonks you out completely did you ?  

Changa:  Ooooh, hell no.   This is lower-grade.   Yes, it gives you a buzz and some rather righteous side effects but it won’t make you plotz.   

Chimi:  I’ll allow it.   Set that over there on the dessert table.   

Changa:  You are, by all definitions, the coolest mom in the room right now.  Mom’s proud of me and my entrepreneurial abilities.   See ? (shows off pan) I have a business card. If there are any potential customers they’re going to come calling soon.   

(scene fade)  

Scene 2--Baked Goods, Literally

Mary:  (narrating)  This is when if memory serves, things get a bit funky.   I had no idea what happened after I consumed that first brownie.   I didn’t even see Aunt Changa come in.

Enrique:  Mary ! Princessa !   You look spellbinding.

Mary:  I feel magical !   Have you had one of these brownies ?  They’re flipping incredible.

Enrique:  Nope. Who brought ‘em ?  

Mary:  I dunno, querido.    But they are insanely decadent.  

Enrique:  (tries one)  Oooh, yeah. That’s the stuff.   

(An old cumbia tune plays and Enrique offers his hand to dance)

Enrique:  Shall we, princessa ?   

Mary:  But of course.   

Enrique:  Is it me or did all the color in the room just become more vivid ?

Mary:  No, it definitely did.    Woo...Weird patterns too. (‘Picking It Up/Vibing’ plays in the background.  The two of them start really getting down.)

Nadia:  Hey, Princessa !  Looking abso gorge !   

Wendy:  I’ll say, those sequins really suit her.   

Enrique:  This party is off the *chain* !   (Darude starts playing. Enrique goes crazy, swirling Mary around)  

Adi: (as an aside)  Nadia, Wendy, Ricky and Mary are acting REAL weird.   

Enrique:  Who let fairies into the quinceanera ?   Who’s the guy dressed up like a unicorn...Woah, he’s glowing.   Cooooool.

Mary:   I dunno but those gnomes over there really know how break dance.   

Adi:  Ok, that’s it.    Guys, come here. Both of you.   (She takes them by the hands)

Mary:  Aw, Adi.   Why crash the party bus ?   It was rollin’ just fine !

Enrique:  (pout) Party wrecker.   

Wendy:   (she, Nadia and Adi sit them down on the bench beside the bed)  We suspect that Aunt Changa brought in ‘magic brownies’, which is why you guys are seeing fantastical creatures and junk.  

Enrique:  That explains a lot.   Wooo, feeling dizzy.

Nadia:  Maybe you guys should just rest on the bed.  

Mary:  (narrating)  If you think anything happened, well, nothing did.   Perverts.
Other people got into the brownies but I’ll never know what happened because I was cuddled up against my sweetheart.   Being the caballero he was, he made sure no one touched me despite being totally blazed at the time.

(scene end)  

Scene 3--Clean Up, Changa’s Confession

(There’s a very odd dream sequence of Mary and Enrique riding on narwhals against the backdrop of neon-glitter rainbows.  Lilly Singh dances by saying ‘What up, it’s your girl Superwoman ! Hey, rockin’ quinceanera. Yeah ! Like a BAWSE !’)

Changa:  (waking up Mary and Enrique) Hey, kiddos.  Wake up.
Mary:  (reaction to the bright light, winces and hisses)  Ugh, turn that wretched thing off, man.

Changa:  Mary, hon.  Party’s over.  Everyone went home.  It’s 1:00 in the morning.  

Enrique:  Oh my gosh, I am so sorry !  

Mary:  Don’t be.  Your grandma is doing well thanks to your diligence and she would be proud that you came to see me and celebrate.  

Enrique:  You’re so thoughtful.  

Changa:  I’m gonna let you two have a couple last dances before we wrap this up.  The community is gonna want their dance hall back soon.

Enrique:  We get it, Aunt Changa.  (he winks at her and she backs away, trying to act all ‘low-key’.  She swipes the pan of magic brownies, and one is left.) I’ll be taking those, thank (high-pitched) you !  (eats it) Awww, yeah. That’s the stuff.

(Enrique and Mary dance to ‘What You’ve Done For Me’ and then ‘One Kiss’)  

Enrique:  I hate to cut and run so soon but…

Mary:  (puts finger to his lips, leans up and kisses him)  I know, I love you too, you doofus. Always will.

Enrique:  Aww, I’m lucky to have you !  

Mary: (narrating) And yes, indeed I was.   I didn’t open my presents until the next day and there were a lot of them.   Actually, the whole month, I was celebrating.  Even Evette and her family had come since my birthday and their anniversary coincide.    It seemed like the month had been a whirlwind but it meant spring was in the air and I could hardly wait.   Spring Break was close and I would be able to hang out with Enrique more.

(scene shift)  

Scene 4--Storm Before Paradise
(The screen reads ‘The Week of Spring Break’.  Conchita’s family is sleeping through the night until they get a phone call.   Mary sees that it’s from Ricky and immediately knows something’s wrong)

Enrique:  (sobbing on the phone) Grandma didn’t make it through the night.  She died in her sleep.

Mary:  Oh my God, that’s terrible, Ricky.  I’m so sorry.

Enrique:  Well, (sob) we knew that she was getting ready to go.  She was 100 after all. Lived a long, happy, healthy life.   We’re preparing already for a funeral. We’re having it tomorrow.

Mary:  Right before spring break ?

Enrique:  I know, it’s a bit sucky but it’s got to be done.  Rosalinda would’ve wanted it to be a celebration though.   I didn’t want you to meet my family this way but now’s a better time than never.  

Mary:  (surprised)  Is this some sort of proposal ?

Enrique:  Carina, if I said ‘yes’, you might find me demanding.  

Mary:   But I don’t.  We’ve been together since we were young.  No one knows what tomorrow will bring.

Enrique:  (blows nose)  I’m sorry to call all of you on such short notice, but you know you’re all invited to come remember Abuelita Rosa.   

Mary:  (narrating)  Abuelita Rosa.  (chuckles) Oh, man.  What a firecracker she was.  She loved and LIVED life well.   She went all over the world, saw different sights and hauled her treasures home.  A lot of those treasures went to Rick and his family members. It would be enough to send him to college.  He didn’t know what college he’d attend, just that he’d go. I knew it was my calling but spring break was more on my mind and la playa.    After we savored Rosa’s tribute, we went to Acapulco, where Abuelito was originally from.

(Shift to the beach)  

Joaquin: Coming back here reminds me of the day I met Deidre.   She looked so lovely in that swimsuit. (gets a little teary eyed)  But enough of that. Who wants shaved ice ?

Bruno:  Ooo ! Can I ?  It’s my favorite !  

Joaquin:  Of course, muchacho.  Anything for you, and some for the Princessa.  

Mary:  (smiling)  Thank you, darling Abuelito.   (narrating) Abuelito tends to spoil us, but now that we’re on his terf, he’s being overly abundant.   We’re not complaining !

Enrique:  I haven’t had this much fun in years.   And not to be biased, but Mexican shaved ice is so much better than American shaved ice.

Bruno:  (drinking a lime Coke)  And so is the coke.

Chimi:  Where did you get a Coke, Bruno ?  So close before bed, too ! Abuelito !  

Joaquin:  Hey, Deidre would’ve approved.   

(An instrumental version of ‘Conga’ plays.  The family enjoys fun on the beach and Ricky holds Mary’s hand by the beach.)  

Enrique:  Thanks for being with me in this difficult time.   I’m not so sad. I know I’m going to miss Abuelita…

Mary:  (a little teary holding him from the side)  We all will, but she’s never forgotten. We will see her someday but for now, we make the most of every little moment because even those seconds are the most sublime.   

(‘Slide Next To You’ plays as bloopers are shown, then ‘Blessing Me’ is played.  I give a super special shout out to my friends, Magicians, extended family for believing in me.  Without your support I wouldn't’ be here.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers