Taelia Goes to Tokyo



Synopsis:  Taelia Mulligan grew up rather tomboyish as a girl and lived a life of luxury with her mom, Francine (a wealthy fashionista) while dad mostly sold cars for a living.   The auto business goes bust and he has to relocate to Japan.   Unable to take the pressure, Francine divorces him and leaves Taelia with Sean, who is clueless about raising her.  She grows more feminine during the move.  She also learns from her experience in cram school as well as in the restaurant where she's hired to work.  Pretty soon she and her dad begin to bond and start making the most out of their lives in a foreign land.  
~*~CAST~*~
Sean Mulligan:
Francine Mulligan (maiden name, Richards):
Usagi Abe: (Sean’s new love interest)
Taelia Mulligan: 
Endo Takashida:
Akiko Fujiyama:
Sensei Aika Masada:
Emi Yoshida: (a mean girl, later turned nice)
Michiko Inari: (Emi’s friend)
Fujiko Suzuki: (Emi’s friend)
Momo Yamashida: (Ava's mom)
Nori Yamashida: (Ava's dad)
Avaron Yamashida:
Miho Yamashida: (Ava's brother)
Rika Yamashida: (Ava's grandma)


Scene 1--From Fabulous to Frumpy
Taelia: (looking through old photographs in her new home in Japan, writing in her diary, we hear her frustration, angst and despair about her situation)  It seems like some bizarro alternate reality.   Mom, dad and myself were getting along so well.   Her designing firm Coquette made our lives almost like living in a fairy tale.   We had everything we wanted and never lacked for anything.    Then came the depression.   Dad's work with Toyota suffered heavily.   Due to loss of jobs and factories beginning to close the CEO thought it would be beneficial for us to move to Tokyo.   Not that I don't enjoy it here, but the culture shock has overwhelmed me once or twice.  I am still trying to get used to it here.   I have no friends, I've been put into a 'remedial class' for slower students, which is a nicer, more diplomatic way to say I'm retarded.  Japanese isn't easy, and neither is converting American dollars into Yen.  The math can be maddening.   I'm sitting here still wondering why mom did it.  Why did she leave us ?   She loved dad and I immensely.   She just left once dad and I were transferred.  No note, not explanation, just poof, gone.   I would have at least liked to have hear something from her, but she won't even speak to me anymore.  It makes me wonder if I did something wrong, or if she even wanted me to begin with.
I hate it here, and my dad is such a goofball.   That dunderhead dad of mine has no clue how to connect with me, let alone the things I like.    I really wish I could go back home, back to my friends.   They've long since forgotten me, moved on with their lives.  (scoffs)  Some friends.   (shuts her diary angrily and throws her pen across the room, which breaks into a million pieces)   Crud, there goes another one.   I'll have to buy a new one.   Again.  
Sean:  Taelia, did you just break another pen ? 
Taelia: (jumping slightly out of her seat) Dang, Dad, don't sneak up on me like that !  It's like you have supersonic hearing. 
Sean: Actually the disgruntled grumbling I heard earlier was a dead giveaway.   I think I'd better stockpile pens for you.   That way, when one breaks, you always have new ones to use readily available. 
Taelia: You could get me some of those nice, fancy pens from work.
Sean:  I don't think Endo would mind.  We've become pals as of late.
Taelia:  So I've noticed.   We hardly ever do anything anymore.  
Sean:  Tell you what.  Golden Week is coming up. 
Taelia:  (brightens)  Can I try winning a goldfish this time ?
Sean:   You know what ?  Why not.  I know I didn't let you stay so long as you would've liked last year since Mr. Takashida called me and needed my help at the office.   
Taelia:   I don't blame you for that.  Work always comes first.  I know there are sacrifices to be made. 
Sean:  (comes close to her and hugs her)  And this is just one more reason why I love you.  I've been working hard to buy a kimono for you.   I know the one you've been wanting. 
Taelia:  The one with the shimmering dragons !   I had been eyeing that for months, and strangely it's still in the shops.  
Sean:  I got a chance to talk to the shop owner and he says that is the only one that hasn't sold in the longest time.   Mainly because it's ridiculously expensive.  But I think I have enough to get it. 
Taelia:  What about you ?  Aren't you going to wear something festive ?
Sean:  Yes, and it won't cost me nearly as much.   I have an even better idea. 
Taelia:  (becoming a bit more interested, but trying not to seem too overly invested or excited)   What's that ?
Sean:  To start off our weekend, I've decided to take you to your favorite restaurant.  We can even sing karaoke together.
Taelia:  For me ?  You hate it when I choose anka songs though. 
Sean:  (laughing)  No, the patrons do.   I didn't mind.   I think we should do something a bit more upbeat and modern. 
Taelia:  Change can be a good thing.   You know, you aren't so clueless after all.
Sean:  (grinning)   Left-handed compliment, but I'll take it ! 
(Scene fade)
Scene 2--Proper Celebration
Taelia:  (narrating)  Dad's work keeps me from spending time with him like I'd want to.  Sure most of the time I would want to do things on my own, but having no real companions to go out and enjoy the world with sort of spoils things a bit.   I hate to answer the question, 'So, who's your friend ?' when I know they're secretly mocking me about hanging out with my dad.   (disgusted groan) It's tres embarrassing.  Not to mention uber awkward.   I just got out of remedial learning and this summer I will be heading to cram school again.   I only hope that this time it'll be more enjoyable and less of a gulag than it was the last time I had to go through it.   It's hell on earth.   At least now I don't have to worry so much about this until summer.   Going to Akiko's is my favorite activity, especially with the variety of J-pop songs they have in their karaoke archive.    Dad and I will be singing some oldies but goodies tonight...
Sean:  Here we are, right on schedule. 
Taelia:  You think Akiko will be here ?  It's been ages since we've seen her. 
Sean:  (chortling lightly)  Well it is her restaurant.  
Taelia:  She brings so much life to the place.  It's hard not to like her.   You know, it would be fun to work for her.   Thing is, my Japanese is so rotten, I don't know if I could ever be accepted as a native, or even be welcome as a waitress or cook.
Sean:   You ?  Cooking ?   What's brought all this on ?
Taelia:  (shrug)  Dunno, really.   Maybe I simply enjoy it. 
Sean:   Maybe you should talk to her after our meal.
Taelia:   I'll try, although I'm sure I'll sound like I'm slow or have a lisp.
Sean:  (pats her back)  Your Japanese isn't that horrid, my sweet.  You've improved vastly since we've made our home here.   Besides, what harm is there in trying ?
Taelia:   You're right.  Now let's eat.  I'm starving !  
(After eating, they sing a variety of songs from classic animes Taelia has grown up on during her childhood.   Sean tells her he'll be waiting for her in the car.) 
Taelia:  (in passable but broken Japanese) Mrs. Fujiyama ?
Akiko:  Oh, hello, Taelia !   It was lovely listening to you sing with your dad again.  The two of you are so talented.
Taelia:  I was just wondering if you needed any help in the kitchen or if you were hiring new waitresses ?
Akiko:   In fact, I am looking for a new waitress.  Harumi gave her two weeks' notice not long ago after finding a better job.  
Taelia:  You'll be willing to train me, right ?  I'm not so bad in the kitchen.
Akiko:  I'm certain of that.   What time would you consider having an interview ?
Taelia:  (narrating)  Alright, so things aren't as bad as I originally thought.   I did forget to mention that Mrs. Fujiyama is a friend of mine and she looks out for me.  She's kind of like my surrogate mom, come to think of it.   I think that fairly soon I'll be holding my own here.   Hopefully I still get to enjoy Golden Week, which is only a few days away, and I am even counting the seconds to when it begins !
(As we see her chatting away with Akiko, she emerges from the restaurant and makes a 'thumbs up' sign.   An instrumental version of 'This Is It' plays in the background and the scene fades.)  
Scene 3--Golden Week
Taelia:  (narrating, as we see her modeling her new kimono)  It cost quite a bit of money but I helped dad purchase my new kimono.   Dad was able to get a robe of his own to fit in to the festivities.   It's the first time in a long while that I felt free to smile.  Akiko is an exceptional boss.   She expects the place to be flawless, but she treats me like she does her own children, so I don't mind the extra discipline.   Dad is getting along better in Japan than I am though.   I still haven't found anyone I can really relate to, so in order to work out some of my anger, I cook.   Dad thought I had given that up long ago, since I used to do that when he, I and mom were altogether.   It makes him a little sad.  He doesn't like talking about it much since he isn't keen on dwelling on mother's memory.   In order to dull the pain a little bit, coming to events like this one, or eating out at Akiko's help a bit.   But I know it isn't enough.   He can only pretend for so long...
Sean:   Taelia !   Hey, sweetie !   How are you liking the fair so far ?
Taelia:  (nearly breathless)  It's absolutely amazing !  I mean, look at all the food.   I feel  I might overeat ! 
Sean:  You and me both, honey.   (the two of them laugh)  You know what ?
Taelia: What, dad ?
Sean:  You look resplendent.   Positively radiant.   I never knew there was such a beautiful lady underneath that rough and tumble tomboy of your girlhood.
Taelia:  Maybe I wanted a bit of a change.   Sure I dress goth most of the time, but today is a special occasion.   I wanted to celebrate in style.
Sean:  And you've done that splendidly, I'll add. 
Taelia:  (stretching)  Alright, I'm going to try my luck at winning a goldfish.
Sean:  (in Japanese)  Good luck, darling !
Taelia:  (in Japanese)  Thanks, dad.
(As she tests her skill, a traditional festive Japanese song plays in the background and she finally gets one.) 
Taelia:  Dad !  Dad !  Look !  
Sean:  You did it !   I've never actually seen anyone win before.  I always thought these things were rigged.   Woah, you caught a really pretty one.  White and orange, like your kimono. 
Taelia: (narrating)  I named my fish Yuki because I sensed that our luck was beginning to change.   Pretty soon I will be heading back to cram school.  To be frank, I am not looking forward to that.   At least Mrs. Yamashida takes her time with me and compliments me every day.   Maybe with a bit of luck I can catch up with the system here and get myself back on track.   
(Scene of Taelia and Sean returning home with Yuki in toe and Yuki being released into her fishbowl, swimming around blithely.)  
Scene 4--New Friends, First Love 
Taelia:  (narrating)  I have made some new friends at school.  We’re all a bunch of otaku and we often engage in marathons from time to time.  We even have our own cosplay and mech building club.   My best friend, Avaron is into drawing doujinshi and is teaching me how to draw and read manga.  It used to be a chore but it is far more enjoyable now.   His little brother Miho is younger than himself, but I love hanging out with him.  Like myself, he adores video games, and Avaron does too.   I recently got the motivation to make him a bento box since I am beginning to like him.  So far, his parents seem to like me but I don’t know anything about getting a guy to ask me out on a date.   I fear it might ruin my friendship with him completely.   Miho already knows I have designs on his elder brother, but I keep him quiet with blackmail.  I know it’s not the most ethical method but so far, Miho’s been quiet about me being ‘sweet’ on his brother.   I wish I had a female to talk to about all of this.  Thus far, my teachers really haven’t been much help and my dad’s a complete imbecile when it comes to dating.   So, I am really going out on a limb here and asking Momo, Ava’s mom, just exactly what it’s like to date someone from such a traditional yet modern country. 
Momo:  Hello, Taelia.   Avaron’s studying if you are looking for him.   Miho just got home from school hours ago and we’ll be having dinner if you want to join us. 
Taelia:  All of you are so kind, and granted, I do want to stay, but I can’t.  
Momo:  That’s a pity !   What did you come for then, sweetheart ?
Taelia: (a bit bashfully at first, but then becoming more assured and confident)  I wanted to ask you about Ava.  What does he like ?  I want to let him know how I feel but I don’t want to be too forward.  We never talk about anything but our hobbies.  I want to know more about him personally. 
Momo:  (knowingly) Oh, I see.  I had a feeling you were fancying my son, especially with those bentos you’ve been making him.   By the way, you are quite the artist.  He tells me you are an extremely good cook.  
Taelia:  Working at the restaurant has taught me a lot.  Of course, I don’t want to be there my entire life but it suits my dad and I well.  Japan is starting to feel more and more like home day by day.  
Momo:  My son is very intellectual and spiritual.   He likes someone who can tell the truth, someone who has spunk, pizzazz and zest for life.   You have all these things and more.   Just be yourself around him.   I also know you’ve been bribing Miho, which I don’t approve of, but I know your heart was in the right place when you did so. 
Taelia:  (bowing regretfully)  I’m sorry.  I should’ve been frank.   Miho would’ve told Avaron eventually anyways.   (she laughs) 
Avaron:  Told me about what, mom ?  Oh, hi, Tae.  
Taelia:  (blushes darkly)  H-hi, Avaron.  I just…erm, eh, ah-ha ha…Right ! 
Avaron:  Are you having a seizure, silly ?   Spit it out ! 
Taelia:  I’m in love with you, you dummy !   (exhales sharply)  There, I said it. 
Avaron:  (comes up and hugs her)  I had a feeling that you were.  Even if you didn’t say it, your bentos always proved it.   (whispers)  The best bento I have ever eaten.  Don’t tell my mom.   She’ll kill me. 
Taelia:  Thank you.   I’ll stick around to study.  I’ll let dad know I’m staying here to eat but afterward, I have to go home. 
Momo:  Oh, you know you’re more than welcome here. 
Taelia:  Besides, I have to help close Akiko’s later on tonight.  
(A sort of clip show is presented of Taelia and Avaron studying intently, eating dinner, laughing and joking around and Momo smiling, wriggling her eyebrows supercilliously at her.  She then returns home, closes down Akiko’s and joins her dad for some late night TV watching before they head to bed.)
Sean:  So, how was it ?  Your study sesh ?  Get some good academia crammed up in that noggin of yours ?
Taelia:  Yeah !  I think I’m ready for the exams.  They’re going to be more difficult than any I’ve taken in the states, but Ava prepared me well.   He’s far smarter and more experienced than I and he knows what to expect.  
Sean:  I can’t believe it.  My little girl, growing up to be a young woman. 
Taelia:  (smelling him)  Is that…cologne ?
Sean:  (a bit in denial)  I don’t know what you’re talking about, young lady ! 
Taelia:  Don’t hide it from me.   You never wear cologne unless it’s something important. 
Sean:  There’s a lady at work I like.  
Taelia:  How long have you been keeping this from me ?   You never mentioned anyone ! 
Sean:  I thought it would be fine for me to see other women after your mother… Nevermind.
Taelia:  (becoming a bit teary-eyed)  I’m sorry, I just haven’t been around you enough to know exactly what you’re doing or who you’re seeing.  School’s keeping me busy.  I’ve been out with my friends more often than with you.
Sean:  (arm around her)  You’re growing up, it’s hard.  It’s messy.  You know I love you though.  I want you to at least give my friend a try. 
Taelia:  (a bit reluctantly) What’s her name ?
Sean:  Usagi.
Taelia:  (huge smile)  That’s actually a really beautiful name.  Just like my favorite character from one of the best animes of all time. 
Sean:  (hugs her) So you approve ?
Taelia:  Only partially.   I have to get to know her.   You know after what mom did to us, I’m cynical about trusting other people. 
Sean:  I know how you feel.  I got over feeling jaded when she started talking to me at lunch.  You’d like her, she’s a voice actress, she draws and she sews costumes for consignment.  You can imagine how much she makes in the cosplay stores. 
Taelia:  Wow, what can’t she do ?
Sean:  She admits she doesn’t cook well, but she wants to learn, and who better than you and I to teach her ? 
Taelia:  (narrating)  I wasn’t thrilled at first, I’ll admit, but the more dad told me about Usagi, the more I liked her.   Things were beginning to fall into place and more and more this foreign country that had once terrified and mesmerized me was beginning to feel more and more like the home I always knew it would become.   However, before my examinations, something terrible happened.  
(Scene fade) 
Scene 5—Mean Girl’s Karma Catches Up to Her
Taelia:   (narrating)  Before exams, the whole student body had a festival to celebrate and let off steam.   I was going to pedal Usagi’s cosplay designs, sponsor the restaurant and also talk about my experiences as a gajin and shed light on how different Americans were from the Japanese but also how we were cut from similar cloth. 
Emi:  If it isn’t little Taelia Mulligan, trying to make us think she’s one of us.  (laughs harshly)  Look at this awful kanji !   It could’ve been written by a blind monk !   It’s hardly legible !
Ava:   Emi, her kanji is impeccable.   In fact, I’m certain her handwriting is better than yours. 
Emi:  Isn’t that cute ?  Your little stooge is standing up for you ! 
Fuji:  You two dweebs belong together !   (all three of them laugh derisively) 
Michiko: (picks up one of Taelia’s homemade snow globes)  Ah, how pretty.  Look at all the snow and glitter, how shiny !   (tosses it to Emi and Fuji)
Taelia:  Don’t !  It’s really fragile.  Ava and I put a lot of work into that ! 
(She gets up and tries to get the snow globe back but Emi ‘accidentally’ drops it)
Emi:  Cheap American piece of junk.  One shouldn’t be surprised.  The workmanship was shoddy at best. 
Taelia:  (trying to hold her anger in check and nearly in tears)  It took Ava and I hours to make that by hand.  Do you know how difficult it is to blow glass ?
Fuji:  It was crap, just like all of your American stuff.  When is it that you have ever made a reliable product ?  I mean, one that didn’t come from us, after all ?  
(They all laugh more) 
Taelia:  Just…shut up.   (sweeps up the mess and dumps it in the trash) 
Michiko:  Hah, right where it belongs ! 
Emi:  (notices that the banner Taelia and Ava has made has a snag.  She ‘accidentally’ trips on it, bringing it down to the ground)  Ah, clumsy me. 
(She and her friends high five each other and walk away after the banner blankets Taelia.  Taliea breaks down into tears after they lose interest in taunting her.  Ava helps her up but notices she’s in tears.) 
Ava:  It’s just a banner.  I don’t know why those three were so intent on mocking you today.
Taelia:  (sniffles) Yeah, well, many of the things they said really stung. 
Ava:  (dries her tears)  Don’t take it personally.   (brings her close and kisses her) 
Taelia:  Ava, not in front of everyone !  (she chuckles lightly)
Ava:  There’s that bright smile I love to see.   I don’t care if they do.  I love you and I’m fortunate to be dating the prettiest and smartest lady here.   Hey, there’s your dad !  I didn’t’ know he was off work this early. 
Taelia:  (waving)  Pop !  Over here !
Sean:  Hey, squirt.   Sweet little booth you got here.  Really snazzy.   (raised eyebrow) What happened to your banner ?  Looks like a hurricane hit it. 
Taelia:  (huffs)  Emi and her friends ripped it.   They noticed a snag in it and ripped it right down.  
Ava:  (shakes his head left and right)  Those witches really love to give Taelia a hard time.  Once they almost came to fisticuffs during lunch, but Taelia held her ground. 
Sean:  I remember that.   Ms. Fujiama told me all about it and how much you’ve grown.
Ava:  You should’ve seen her today, sir.  That’s the calmest I’ve ever seen her.
Taelia:  I should know from the past anger does no one any good.  
Sean:  (pats her shoulder)  I’m really proud of you kid.  
Usagi:  (rushing behind him)  I tried keeping up with you, but you’re just too fast. 
Taelia:  Dad didn’t tell me you were coming. 
Sean:  Usagi wanted to see your booth. 
Taelia:  I incorporated your design sheets for potential buyers.   I was able to amass a list of quite a few customers.  
Usagi:  I can see that.   Your display is tremendous.   Would you ever want to help design new ads with me sometime ?
Taelia:  (upbeat)  Really ?  You’d want my help ?
Usagi:  Sure would, Tally.  You’ve got quite the eye, and your use of negative space is exceptional.   (notices the banner)  What happened here ?
Sean:  Just some mean girls that were picking on Taelia, dear.  
Ava:  She stood up to them, though.  I helped, too.  I don’t like seeing people hurt, least of all my girlfriend. 
Sean:  (whispers)  Looks like you’ve made quite the catch.
Usgai:  Where did these mean girls go ? 
Taelia:  Probably off to ostracize more students.   She’s such a jerk !  
Usagi:  Let me reason with her. 
(Catches up with Emi and her friends)
Usagi:  Are you Emi ?
Emi:  (defiantly and conceitedly)  Yeah, who’s asking ? 
Usagi:  You should weigh your words a bit more carefully.  Like if I told you wearing mismatching socks is a crime against fashion out of the blue, it would be insulting. 
Emi:  Mismatching socks are chic though ! 
Fuji: Yeah, old bag.  Get with the times ! 
(They all laugh)
Usagi:  You really should have more respect for your elders.  Judging by the crows feet you have under your eyes, you would be blessed to look as good as I do when you’re my age.
Fuji:  (busting out her compact and looks at all her wrinkles, she runs away, sobbing)
Michiko:  Who are you anyway ? 
Usagi:  I’m Taelia’s friend.  What you ladies did is highly disrespectful.   You should both be punished.  
Michiko:  (Scoffs)  Our parents have enough money to bribe the principal and staff out of any punishment due to us.  
Usagi:  Then I’ll get my hands dirty myself.  (takes them both by the ear)
Emi:  Hey, ow !  What do you think you’re doing !   My mama and papa will see you in court.
Usagi:  Tell it to the judge.  Now, help mend this sign, both of you, put it back up and say you’re sorry.  
Michiko:  (grumpily)  Emi, this is all your fault.   I only followed along because you said it was going to be fun. 
Emi:   Shut up, Michiko !   We’re in enough trouble already.  It wouldn’t do any good anyways.  Even though mama and papa are rich, they are good friends with the faculty and establishment.   (irate)  Fine. 
Sean:  (whispers)  Woah, way to go, Usagi-chan. 
(As we see Emi and her friends work on the banner to repair it, Fuji returns and is pulled into helping along with them and not asking questions as to why she had to be yanked into her friends’ fiasco.   Notwithstanding, it teaches all three mean girls a lesson to measure their words, be kinder and to not be so judgmental. Also, Sean and Usagi’s wedding is shown and we are able to see Sean’s companions from work and Taelia’s friends from school.)    
Taelia:  (narrating)  Although I didn’t know my soon-to-be mother well, she earned a ton of respect from me that day.   She was not only my friend but my confidante.  Through the years we have grown closer together and I have learned I really have a knack for designing.  I may go into that realm later on in life.  I finally know where I fit in.   Of course, there are days that go bad and the road might seem a little bumpy…
(One day is shown in which Taelia’s fish actually dies and Sean sings Mulligan Through and Through to her.  This brightens her spirit.  He later gets her a new pet, a cute, cuddly cat named Sanji.)    
Taelia:  (narrating)  Yet somehow, everything works out for the best in the end.  Ava and I are closer than ever.   We’re still just college kids, but who knows ?  We might even become man and wife in the future.   We know it’ll happen eventually but we’re giving it time.  All I know is that I wouldn’t trade anything here for the past or my friendships I have made.   As for the mean girls, well, they’re not so mean to me now.   Strangely enough, they’ve become some of my closest allies and we often hang out in the arcades where I spar against my beloved Avaron.   Today is a gift, that much can be said.   Tomorrow is a mystery, but we forge on ahead.   Not worrying for much, since worry is folly.  Enjoying everything, and in everything we’re jolly.  
(We can see Emi, Fuji and Michi playing video games with their former rival and Ava easily thwarting them in some of his favorite fighting games.  Usagi and Sean are seen playing with Sanji and it is shown that she’s expectant as well.   The End flashes across the screen while familiar anime music plays either from One Piece or Samurai Champloo, something modern, upbeat, bouncy and fresh.  Bloopers shown as well as photos of familiar landmarks, thanks and praise to all the people who made it possible !)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers