Ghosts of War



Author's Note:  A comedy/sentimental film based in modern-day Japan.
Mirei Matsamoto's grandfather, Kenichi, fought in Iwo Jima during the downfall of the Axis powers.  Mirei is the only one who can gain information from her grandfather.  Not even Kenichi's wife, Akane, can gain Kenichi's confidence like his grandaughter.   During a festival, Mirei meets a ghost, Mikami, who died tragically in the Nagasaki bombing.  Mikami mistakes Mirei as her elder sister, Aoi, who passed on long ago.  Mikami doesn't realize she is dead until she notices Mirei is the only girl who can see and talk to her. 

~*~ CAST ~*~
Mirei Matsumoto:
Chika Matsumoto: (Mirei's mom)
Hibiki Matsumoto: (Mirei's father)
Genki Kobayashi:
Itsuki Sato: (Mirei's crush/boyfriend)
Yoshimori Sato: (Itsuki's younger brother)
Sunako Sato: (Itsuki's mother)
Kyoshiro Sato: (Itsuki's father)
Mr. Eiji Hokkaido: (Mirei's teacher)
Simon Grossberg:  (medic)
Akane Matsumoto: (Mirei's grandma)
Kenichi Matsumoto: (Mirei's grandfather)
Mikami Sugiyama: 


Scene 1—A Friendly Ghost  

(It's summer, and Mirei is intently listening to her grandfather tell her tragic and harrowing tales of WW II, in which he almost sacrificed himself for the Emperor.)

Mirei:  So, remembering grandma was what convinced you not to take your own life. 

Kenichi:  (tousling his granddaughter's hair playfully) Yes, Mirei, love.  That and the fact that I was about to become a father changed my plans quite a bit as well. 

Chika:  I am glad you didn't take your life for the Emperor's sake.  Honorable as it may have been, I would've never gotten to know you, dad.  (hugs him from the side, pouring him a glass of cold lemonade)

Kenichi: Thank you, Chika, dear. 

Akane:  What I still don't understand is how you are always so open with our granddaughter about your heroic tales during the war, and yet you never tell me about them.

Kenichi:  (a bit pained)  Akane, I'm sorry...I never meant to be like that concerning the War.  But you know how I feel about it.  It wasn't good for either side, and in the end, we lived a very difficult existence.  But thankfully, faith, love, perseverance and determination kept us going.  

Akane:  And the farming didn't hurt us either.  

Kenichi: (chuckling)  No, not at all. 

Mirei:  Is it true though, that you had two points in time to choose life over death ?

Hibiki: (a bit surprised he has never heard this information from his father-in-law)  Is that so, father-in-law? 

Kenichi:  (darkens a bit)  I don't like talking of this much.  (holds back tears)  But, it was what it was, my sweet.   (inhales and exhales sharply)  It was at Iwo Jima when the end of the War was eminent.  

(flashback scene)  

Kenichi:  I was following my fellow combatants when the Allies overtook us in a raid unexpectedly.  My friend, Genki, got shot through the leg.  Thinking he was going to be a burden to the cause, he tried killing himself and nearly killed me in the process when I stopped him. 

Mirei:  (gasp)  Did you nearly bleed to death in the caves ?

Kenichi:  I did, and so did Genki.  But strangely, an Ally medic found us. 

(in flashback)

Simon:  (hearing movement)  Who's there ?  Show yourself ! 

Kenichi:  Enemy or friendly ? 

Genki:  He sounds foreign...Damn it all to hell, we're dead !  (hitting Kenichi)  You bastard !  You should've let me kill myself when I had the chance ! 

Simon:  (in Japanese)  I'm an enemy, but I can help.  I'm a medic.
Kenichi:  (a bit reticent, but interested, and impressed, though be it subtly)
How is it you know Japanese ?

Simon:  (honestly)  I taught myself on the LST.   Are you the only injured ?

Kenichi:  No.  My friend is with me. 

Simon:  I'll find a safe place where I can treat you both until I can find proper medical care for you both. 

Genki:  I am not letting that silver tongued foreigner touch me !  Just let me die for Emperor and country !  

Kenichi:  (slaps him across the face)  Kobayashi, pull yourself together !  I am not about to let you die.  This kind American has decided to help us.

Simon: (emerging from the darkness and allowing the two to use him as a crutch to another area of the caves that is somewhat 'safer') Easy, easy.  I've got you both.  

(back to present day)

Kenichi:  (eyes tearing)  That kind soldier, Simon Grossberg, took out our bullets, bound our wounds, and kept pressure on them until help arrived.  I never knew what became of Mr. Grossberg, but I am hoping that I have the chance to repay him.  Genki too, hopes he can meet this selfless man who saved both our lives.

Mirei:  (moved to tears)  Grandpa, that's beautiful.  I'm glad you shared it with me.  (hugs him) 

Akane:  Now isn't the time to be dwelling on the past.  Mirei, Chika dear, get dressed.  I'll come in with you.  

Mirei:  (following her)  Where are we going ? 

Akane:  Don't you know what today is ?

Mirei:  (brightens and bounces on her heels)  Festival of floating lanterns !

Hibiki: (tousling his daughter's hair)  Yes, your favorite.  All of us are going, and we're going to eat at your favorite restaurant. 

Mirei:  (hugging her father tightly)  Thank you so much, dad.  But I feel sometimes you spoil me !

Kenichi:  (proudly) I spoil you more though.  (laughing) 

(Everyone gets dressed in festive garb for the festival and gathers together in the car.  Quick pan shot to festival, a parade, and a throng enjoying the solemnity, beauty and merriment of the Lantern Festival.) 

Mirei:  Mom, look !  I won some goldfish !  (holds up her prize victoriously)

Chika:  How did you do that ?   (amazed) You must have finesse !  No one hardly ever wins goldfish from the goldfish booth. 

Hibiki:  What are we going to do with these goldfish, though.  We have Mao to contend with.

Mirei:  (rolls eyes, a bit annoyed)  Dad, Mao's not going to eat Rin and Hei. 

Chika: You've already named them ?

Mirei:  (nodding)  Yes.  I think the names suit them. 

Hibiki:  (affectionately holding Mirei from behind, and drawing in Chika as well into his embrace) You're right.  We don't have to worry about old Mao.  He doesn't do much anyway, and he's probably not much of a threat.   (seeing Mirei wandering off to see the lanterns up close)  Hey, where are you going ?

Mirei:  To see the lanterns.  Could you hold on to Rin and Hei for me ?

Hibiki:  Sure, honey.  Just come back soon.  We'll be trying out some of these other game booths for a while.

Mirei:  (happily, watching the lights floating by completely awed) 

Mikami: (appearing, watching Mirei)  Sister !  Where on earth have you been ?
I've been looking for you, Aoi ! (approaching her from behind to hug her but she goes through her) 

Mirei:  (a bit taken aback)  W-w-who are you ?  (sees that this girl has no legs and gasps)

Mikami:  What kind of greeting is that for your younger sister ?   You act as though you've seen a ghost.  (laughs)

Mirei:  But you are a ghost, little girl !  

Mikami: (pouting)  Aoi !  You're mean !   (crosses arms and stamps her non-existent foot) 

Mirei:   (gently)  Listen, little girl.  I don't know who you are or where you came from, but I am not your sister, Aoi. I'm Matsumoto, Mirei.  (bows in greeting with a large, amiable smile on her face) 

Mikami:  (a bit sadly) Oh, forgive me.  (bowing in deference)  I didn't know.  It's just that you look so much like Aoi that I thought you were she.   (brightens)  My name's Sugiyami, Mikami.   You can call me Miki if you want. 

Mirei:  Miki suits you.  It's cute, just like you are. 

Mikami:  (laughing)  So, I see you've come to see the Festival of Lanterns.  I, too.
It's my favorite.  The lanterns are so beautiful. 

Mirei:  They are, indeed.   (looks at her Hello Kitty watch)  Oh, shoot !

Mikami:  What's the matter ?

Mirei:  I have to get back to my mom and dad.  They're taking me to my favorite restaurant.   I'm sorry.

Mikami:  Oh, you'll see me again.   Don't worry about that. 

Mirei: (holding out pinky)  Pinky swear ? 

Mikami:  Sure.  (links her pinky with hers)  Pinky swear ! 

(the two laugh) 

Mirei:  (waving at her)  I'll see you around, Miki.   Later ! 

Mikami:  See ya, Mirei !  

(Mirei joins her parents back at the booths, where they have won tons of prizes, particularly Kenichi)

Mirei:  Don't tell me all those plushies are mine. 

Kenichi:  (playing along)  Ok, then.  They're not yours, Mirei.  (laughs)

Akane:  My beloved husband went a little overboard in the gaming booths this year. 

Hibiki:  I've never seen anything like it.  The man had bushido determination I tell you !  
(they all laugh) 

Mirei:  When do we eat ?  I'm starving ! 

Kenichi:  Come to think of it all that fun made me hungry.  

Chika:  Then let's get a move on.  I'm sure Wantanabe's is still open. 

(They hurry to the van, playing music and singing merrily as they go.  From the river where the paper lanterns and little boats have been floating along serenely, Mikami watches her friend and smiles gleefully.)

Mikami:  Yes, my dear friend.  I will see you again, tomorrow at school ! 


Scene 2—When The World Flips Upside Down 

('The Next Day' appears on the screen and Mirei is seen receiving her lunch from her mother, a kiss from her father, and she tells her fish, Hei and Rin as well as Mao, who doesn't much pay attention to her, but simply stretches out, yawns and goes back to sleep.  Upbeat music much like the type we hear in Ranma ½ plays when Mirei is heading to school and interacts with her friends.  She arrives to class on time and Mikami is watching from a distant cherry tree, smiling incandescently.)

Mikami:  Right on schedule.  But I wonder whatever became of Sensei Fujiyama ?
She doesn't seem to be teaching here any longer.  

(She looms closer to watch Mirei's learning experience, noticing that she has a crush on one of the boys in her class.)

Mirei:  (responding well but twirling her hair in front of Itsuki)

Sensei Hokkaido:  Superb, Matsumodo.   (kindly, with enthusiasm)  And, Mr. Sato, could you please explain the next line for us ?  

Itsuki:  (smiling at Mirei's intentional and shy flirting, winking at her) I believe what Mr. Shakespeare was saying in this line is Lady Macbeth was trying to atone for her 'sin' and no matter how hard she tried, she simply couldn't wash her guilt away.  Her guilt was going to be a constant reminder to her, and I think she was beating herself over it quite unmercifully.  

(The class is impressed, particularly the girls, but Itsuki is only interested in Mirei, who turns even a darker red when he flashes an iridescent smile her way again)

Sensei:  (applauding)  Extraordinarily impressive, Mr. Sato. 

Itsuki:  Thank you, Sensei.  

(They continue reading their lines from Macbeth, and Mikami floats closer, comes through the wall and 'sits' behind Mirei, who notices her, and she nearly freaks out.  Keeping her peace, she doesn't speak out until class is over.)

Itsuki:  I noticed you were looking at Nobiyuki's desk out of the corner of your eye.   (seeing Mikami waving at her)  Oh...

Mirei:  (embarrassed) Don't tell me you can see her too. 

Itsuki:  I can.  I've been able to see spirits and talk to the dead for as long as I can remember, I just...never told anyone because they would think I was completely wacko. 

Mirei:  (relieved)  Glad to know I'm not the only one, though I have to say, Miki's the first ghost I have ever encountered. 

Mikami:  (laughing)  Don't be absurd.  I'm not a ghost.  I'm alive as you or your cute friend there.  (nudges her in the side, playfully)

Itsuki:  Have you not told her yet ?

Mirei:  I've tried, but she doesn't believe me.  

Mikami:  I don't mean to be rude, but I am starving.  Are you going out on a date, perhaps ?  (bashfully for a moment)  I don't wish to be a third wheel.

Mirei:  You won't be, Miki. 

Itsuki:  (winking at her)  Yeah, with you along, it'll be interesting. 

Miki:  (girlish squeal)  Ah, now I can see why you fell for him.  He's just too dazzlingly gorgeous !  

Mirei:  (mortified, she pushes up her glasses and decides to endure this 'test')

(Upbeat music from Tenchi Muyo plays as the 3 of them laugh and enjoy noodles.
After eating, the three walk home and Mikami floats around merrily as if she is dancing.)

Mikami: I haven't had that much fun in ages !  

Itsuki:  We're glad you had a good time, Miki. 

Miki:  I'll see you tomorrow, then.  Maybe during the weekend, we could all go to the cinema together.   Don't worry, if you two want to make out, I won't be immature about it.   (giggles and rushes off in the other direction, waving her hand wildly)  See you later, friends !

Itsuki:  (laughing)  She reminds me of my younger brother, Yoshi.  So full of energy and youth.   I can see why she befriended you, Mirei.  Poor girl doesn't have many friends, I fear. 

Mirei:  (sighs, pushing glasses up)  She'll have to face the truth sooner or later.
I keep trying to break it to her gently, but I'm afraid she won't take it very well. 
Yesterday, I looked up information on she and her sister, Aoi.   They died rather tragically in Nagasaki.  

Itsuki:  (gasps)  That's...awful.  And she doesn't know Aoi's gone ?

Mirei:  (Shaking head left to right)   No.  

Itsuki:  (places his hands on her shoulders) Hey, chin up, ok ?   We'll reach her together, I know we will.

Mirei:  (titters, lowering her head bashfully) I'm certain we will.  

Itsuki:  And what she said about the cinema, I'm up for that.  (winks) 

Mirei: (blushes hotly, and unexpectedly dances a bit) Yea !  (clears throat)
I mean, spectacular !    (looks at her watch)  Aieee !   I gotta go !  Mom and dad will start worrying if I'm not at home for dinner.  

Itsuki:  (leaning forward and kissing her cheek)  Better be off then.   See you tomorrow, Mirei.  

Mirei:  (dreamily)  Tomorrow then, Itsuki.

(scene fade as Mirei heads home, welcomed ebulliently by her parents) 


Scene 3—Hana Mi

(It is a normal weekend day in the Matsumoto household, except that they are preparing for Hana Mi...the ushering in of summer.)

Chika:  (curiously)  So what is this about Itsuki Sato ?

Mirei:  (rolling eyes)  Mom, you know about Itsuki...we've just started dating.
He and I are going to the cinema this afternoon.

Hibiki:  (becoming interested) Oh, is that so ?  You will be coming to watch fireworks with us later, won't you ?

Mirei:  Of course father, and Itsuki will be coming with me.  (lightly giggles, with some nervousness in her tone)  He wants to meet you.  (straightens up) So, please don't do anything to scare him off or freak him out.  Please ! 

Chika:  (hugging her)  Oh, this is so precious !  My sweet Mirei, becoming a young lady so quickly. 

Mirei:  MOM !  (grumbling, and sighs in exasperation) 

Chika:  Dad, are you ready yet ? 

(Kenichi is finishing tying the obi around Akane.)

Kenichi:  Yep !   Sure am.   And, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, Lady Akane. 

(They all ooh and ahh)

Akane:  Guys, please.  Stop that !  I'm not a fashion model.

Kenichi:  Doesn't matter if you are, my sweet bun.   You're my beautiful lotus. 
(kisses her) 

Hibiki:  (chuckling)  Come on, you two lovebirds.   Let's get going. 

(While the family enjoys the festivities, Itsuki picks Mirei up and Miki comes along for the ride.)

Mikami:  I can't believe how much cars have changed.  Hybrids !  Who knew ?

Mirei:  So much has changed, but the traditions haven't.   You grew up near a Shinto monestary, didn't you, Miki ?

Mikami:   Yes.  Aoi and I made a friend there.  Her name was Rika.  Oddly enough, her papa let her attend formal school, in fact, it's the same school you attend.  But so much has changed I hardly recognize it.   I'm still saddened that Fujiyama doesn't teach there any longer. 

Itsuki:  I heard she went into retirement.  She's a grandmother of 6 now, last I read of her. 

Mikami:  Amazing !  She has her hands full, huh ?   (chuckle)  It'd be nice to see her again, or at least her grandkids.   (seems to be radiant and more effervescent than usual)  Maybe when we see the fireworks, I can see them ! 

Mirei:  Perhaps.   And I want to tell you something when we see them together. 

(Itsuki holds her hand)

Mikami:  Can't you tell me now ? 

Mirei:  (soft chuckle)  You'll have to wait, Miki.   Just be patient.  Enjoy the movie with us.  

(The three head to the cinema together and watch the latest romantic comedy while Itsuki steals a kiss from her.   Mikami flutters her eyelashes and giggles at them and envies them slightly.)

Mikami:  I never had the chance to enjoy what you two have, but that's ok.
My friendships have been my blessing every single, solitary day.  

Mirei:  (tries to choke back some tears, and luckily due to the dark, Miki doesn't notice, but again, Itsuki holds her hand, firmly)

Itsuki:  (pats her hand)  It's all for the best, Mirei, dear.  

(The three of them watch the remainder of the film and scour the mall for a CD they want to buy, purchase it and Mirei notices the time.)

Mirei:  Oh, shoot !  We've got to make it back or we might miss the festivities.

Mikami:  (a bit distraught, but placid) Then let's get going !  I don't want to miss a moment of Hana Mi !   Aoi and I used to watch every year to usher in summer properly.   It'd be a shame to miss one Hana Mi, even if she isn't around to savor it.  

(In a quick transition scene, the three of them drive to the local square and haven't missed a thing.  A traditional song is being sung and played as the revelers come around the bend, followed by dancers and the lively beat of taiko drums and the jovial sound of bamboo flutes.)  

Mikami:  Thank goodness, we made it just in time.   Wouldn't have missed this for the world !  


Scene 4—Reunion With Old Friends

Chika: (Noticing Itsuki)  So this is the strapping youg lad you told me of, eh ?

Mirei:  (embarrassed slightly)  Yes.  This is Sato Itsuki.

Itsuki:  (bows long in deference, respect and honor)  It is my utmost pleasure to meet you.  (to the grandparents, bowing the same, ever so politely) And you too, Mr. and Mrs. Masamoto.  

Hibiki:  (nudging his daughter in the side) Looks like you have a real keeper there, sunbeam. 

Mirei:  (a bit flustered)  Dad ! 

Itsuki:  (a bit boldly)  I can only hope one day you would be willing to allow me to introduce her to my family.  I am certain the lot of us would get along.  (flashes a charismatic sparkling grin their way) 

Chika:  I don't doubt it, especially with Mirei's charm. 

Itsuki: (holding her hand, making her blush) Or her otherworldly beauty. 

Hibiki: (seeing that Kenichi is wandering off)  Dad, where are you going ?

Kenichi:  (Turns around with an amiable smile)  I thought I saw two men that looked familiar.  Don't worry, I won't miss the fireworks.  I'll be right back. 

(The remainder of the family buys some sparklers from a local vendor to enjoy as they laugh and clap along with the music.) 

Genki:  (to Simon) I never thought I would have the opportunity to thank you.
To think you had been writing me all these years but had the wrong address.

Simon:  (with some tears in his eyes, wiping them away)  Yes, but now this old fart has email.  So now I can always keep in touch with you !  (seeing Kenichi coming)  Well cream cheese my bagel.   It's Kenichi. 

Genki:  Kenichi, you old fool !  What took you so long ?

Kenichi:  (holding back tears)  As a wise prophet said once, good things take time.   

Genki:  (coming up to hug him)  Simon was just talking about you. 

Kenichi:  It's Simon we have to thank though.  Had he not stopped our bleeding wounds, I doubt this day would've ever come, nor would we be enjoying it with our families. 

Genki: (lighthearted chuckle) Fate has a funny way of making all things right with the world.  

(The fireworks start exploding in the sky and the old friends reminisce, watch and laugh together)

Mirei: (taking Mikami to the place where she first met her) 

Mikami:  The fireworks reflected in the river certainly are spectacular. 

Mirei:  They are indeed.  But Itsuki and I brought you here for a reason.

Mikami: (inquisitive and childlike)  Really ?  Why ?

Itsuki:  Remember how Mirei was telling you that you were a ghost and you didn't believe her ?   (he holds a copy of a newspaper clipping from long ago in front of her, and the headline reads, “Nagasaki, Hiroshima, Bombed.  Thousands dead.” 

Mikami:  (Shivers)  Oh.  So, that's why I feel out of place here. 

Mirei:  We thought you would be angry. 

Mikami:  (small laugh) Oh, no.  Not at all.  In fact, you two have my gratitude.
Now I can move on to the next plane. 

Itsuki: (noticing her begin to 'transfigure' and become more like light) Will we see you again ?

Mikami:  (spreading her hands open and lifting her head up)  Something tells me that you will, someday.   (As she dissipates)  Thank you for being my friends.
Goodbye for now.

Mirei: (eyes getting teary, Itsuki wipes them for her) Looks like you have something in your eyes, too, dear.  (chuckle, kissing his eyelids) 

(More fireworks explode in the distance and there is a scene shift to 10 years from now, with another Hana Mi celebration.)

Scene 5—Friendship Never Truly Dies

Yoshimori:  (clapping his hands along with the rhythm of the taiko drums)
Come on, Uncle Hibiki !   You're missing the best part !

Hibiki:  (rushing toward him and stopping next to him to catch his breath)
Wouldn't want to do that now, would I ?   (smiles)  Where's my son-in-law ?
Has anyone seen him ? 

Yoshi:  Big brother's playing a game with my neice, Mikami.  They'll be here in a minute.

Little Mikami:  Uncle Yoshi !   Grandpa Hibiki !  Grandma Chika !  Look what I won !  (shows off a gigantic Hello Kitty to her family)

Itsuki:  Actually, you had a little help, Mikami, dear.  (picks her up and hoists her high on his shoulders) 

Mikami:  (laughing) Look how high up I am !  I can see everything from here !
(sees her mother)  Mama !  Look at me !  (waves arms excitedly)

Mirei:  I see you, my little angel.  Let me hold on to Kitty for you so you can hold on to daddy, ok ?

Mikami:  (a bit reluctantly but understanding)  Oh.  Ok !  (she smiles and giggles again, enjoying the festivities of the parade) 

Kyoshiro:  It's good for the whole family to be together like this again.   We should really do this more often. 

Sunako:  (wrapping her arm around Kyo)  My husband, Kyo's right.  We should have our gatherings not just during holidays, but during other important times of the year.

Kyo:  Sunako, my love, we just did that with Mikami's birthday.  (notices the slightly stern look on her face)  But I am certain we can take time out of our busy schedules to reunite more frequently. 

Mirei: (a bit teary eyed) I just wish grandpa could be here to see this. 

Akane: (hugging her granddaughter from the side)  He is and I am sure he is celebrating right along with us.  

Mirei: You're right grandma.  I always have admired you for your wisdom.

Mikami:  (looking up at the fireworks)  As beautiful as I remember them.  Before I can recall, I remember watching these fireworks before.   Papa ?

Itsuki:  (intently) Hmm ?

Mikami: Is it possible I could've seen these fireworks before at another time and I'm just recalling it ? 

Itsuki: (sweet grin)  Of course it is, honey.   Anything is possible.  

(As the last firework finale explodes, Itsuki smiles at his wife and child and watches the fireworks with them with exhuberace) 

Mirei: (narrating)  As we had said, anything was indeed possible for 9 months later, Mikami welcomed her brother, Kenichi into the world and even he has wisdom beyond his age.   We're just tickled pink they chose us to raise them, love them, nurture them, and see them grow into capable adults with full, blessed lives.   Nothing could be more divine than that.  

The End appears across the screen, followed by bloopers done to the background of 'Carmeldansen'.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers