Forest Forces: The Green Warfare, Part IV, Regaining What Was Lost

Synopsis:   From their unexpected side-trip/vacation in Australia, Maladasia experiences a major change of heart and attitude adjustment, especially in the epiphany that it is kindness, magnitude, compassion and love that will guarantee a peaceful reign.   Making amends for all the wrongs written, she hands the crown over to its rightful owner, Persephone.  
~*~CAST~*~
Squirrels
Bridget:
Sinclair: 
Agnes: 
Meldasia:
Persephone: 
Kit: 
Hamish:
Ian: 
Elisha: 
Emry: 
Quincy: 
Lin: 
Nell: 
Arnon: 
Eagles
Fury:
Valkyrie:
Cyclone: 
Gale:
Chipmunks
Pip:
Scout: 
Russel: 
Glenda:
Graham: 
Wolves
Belquist:
Janus: 
Namor: 
Gilden: 
Ebony: 
Cid: 
Loki:
Kiln:
Moles
Quarry:
Silica: 
Silt: 
Mine:  
Quartz:  
Birds
Melody: (bluebird)
Tempo: (bluebird)
Song: (goldfinch)
Staccato: (goldfinch)
Ruby: (cardinal)
Scarlet: (cardinal)
Debussy: (swan)
Odette: (swan)  
Douglass: (duck/mallard)
Thalia: (duck/hen)
Owls
Socrates:
Minerva:
Copernicus:
Aristotle: 
Plato: 
Hera: 
Luna: 
Selena: 
Stella: 
Chipmunks
Pip:
Scout: 
Russel: 
Glenda:
Graham: 
Bats
Countess:
Duchess:
Count:
Duke:
Dana: 
Earl:
Lorde:   
Deer/Buck
Fennel (Stag King):
Lily: (Doe Queen):
Daisy (Princess):
Sage (Prince):
Basil(Prince):
Daffodil (Princess): 
Hyacinth: 
Rose: 
Corriander ('Cory'):
Wolves
Belquist:
Janus: 
Namor: 
Gilden: 
Ebony: 
Cid: 
Loki:
Kiln:
Frogs
Wellington:
Franklin: 
River:
Rain: 
Verdinia: 
Wart: 
Rabbits
Jack: 
March: 
Yvette: 
Petunia: 
Molly: 
Coyotes
Fallow: 
Forlorn:
Moloka: 
Grey:
Ashley: 
Cinder: 
Foxes
Malloy: 
Frisk: 
Jove: 
Barrow: 
Meribah: 
Rats
Uriah:
Jonas:
Silas:
Esther:
Rahab: 
Rajan: 
Uzziah: 
Korah: 
Mice
Timothy:
Todd: 
Mariah: 
Chi: 
Peter: 
Meribah: 
Inez:
Irene: 
Vultures
Scythe: 
Rancor:
Onyx:
Hematite: 
Flint: 
Granite: 
Sloan: 
Jezebelle: 
Delilah: 
Crows
Dirge: 
DiovaL:
Poe: 
Steal:
Trinket:
Gem: 
Momento: 
Pilfer:
Plunder: 
Purloin: 
Hoard:  

Scene 1--Seeking Advice from the Strangest Places
Persephone:   (narrating)  That morning, I had left a message on my sister's bed stand that I was going off alone.   Where I was heading, not even I knew, but I realized I had to take this journey or I would never unthaw my sister's frozen heart.  
(Is shows Persephone venturing to the ulterior part of the forest to a place called the Caves of Mystery, where the bats reside.   The dot stays there and then an above POV is seen before zooming in on Seph, who draws in her cloak and boldly walks in.) 
Persephone:  (clears throat)  Hello ?   (chuckling)  Ooh, nice acoustics.   Anyone home ?  I've come from Oakenridge to seek knowledge.  I have brought tribute of nuts and berries.   Please tell me you don't eat squirrel (nervous laughter).  
Countess:  (flying downward)  Greetings, youngling.   I know you have come far.   No, we don't eat your kind.   We like you, are herbivores, but also like insects.   Insects aren't quite in season yet, since hibernation isn't over.  
Persephone:  (breathes an audible sigh of relief)  I didn't know whether to believe the old one's tales.  Good to know they were all fiddlefaddle.  
Count:   All these gifts are wonderful !   Tell me, why have you come all the way to the Caves of Mystery ?
Persephone:  I have heard that bats are even wiser than the owls when it comes to answering all manner of inquiry.   I have a domestic issue.  My sister, Maladasia...
Lorde: The Maladasia ?   We know of her.  
Earl:   Let her speak, Lorde.   I can sense her pain.  Feel her anguish. 
Persephone:  Regrettably I felt all the turmoil we had gone through would transform her.  She is still as bitter and hateful as she has ever been.   I fear she will never change and she will never relinquish her grudge against the eagles.   She even hates other rival factions without cause, even if they aren't enemies to us.  
(They murmur one to another)  
Dana:  She needs a reason to open her heart.  She lost her former love, quite brutally.  She ultimately feels responsible.   She takes it out on everyone else.  
Persephone:  She feels regrets for all that we lost during our fight in Emiteville and even in Oz.   We have lost so many, and it was all so useless.  I almost wanted to give up and let her have Twiggenthrone, even though by rite, it belongs to me.  I shouldn't be so selfish.   (She begins to weep bitterly)  She is right, I am weak.   Greatness can't be found in being meek and humble...
Duchess: (lifts up her head, dries her tears)  No.  You aren't the one that is weak.   She doesn't know she is ostrasizing others to believe the same way she does.  
Persephone:  I don't know if bringing someone new into her life would be of any use.   I know love conquers a multitude of sins.    I never thought of being a cupid before !  
Duke:   It's well worth exploring.   I think the swans may be able to locate the squirrel you're looking for as well.  
Persephone:  I'll have the Stag King's protection as I wend my way there.   Thank you for your advice, kind bats.  
Count:  It was our pleasure, young one.   (lightly kisses her paw before leaving, Countess gives him a somewhat dirty look and he backs off) 
Persephone:   (narrating)  From the Mystical Caves, I traversed across Sanctuary.   No predators were going to touch me so long as they knew that Fennel and his herd were protecting me.  I took the direction of Debussy and Odette.  The duet of swans pointed me to a grove of oak trees that had seen many seasons come and go.   The squirrel I sought abode in an old oak that practically spoke when its leaves shook.   Hesitant as I was, I was still optimistic.  

Scene 2--The Connection 
Persephone:  (using the metal knocker on Arnon's door, clears throat, gently) 
Arnon:  Yes ?  Who is it ? 
Persephone:  A friend from Oakenridge.  
Arnon:  (magnanimously and gregariously)  A neighbor !  Oh, thank the heavens !  Come in, come in !  (immediately recognizing her)  You're Persephone of Oakenridge. 
Persephone:  (raised eyebrow) Yes, that's me.  How do you know me ?
Arnon: (chuckling)  So rude of me not to make a proper introduction.  (offers his paw and they shake paws, heartily, he chortles lightly)  I'm Arnon.   My vocation is librarian, fact collector and checker, mathmetician and in my spare time, I dabble in the realms of metaphysics.   A bit of an every-squirrel if you will.   What brings you here to my oak ?
Persephone:  (light hearted laugh, slightly anxious)  I'm a bit nervous asking you this, Arnon, but would you like to meet my sister ?
Arnon:  Maladasia ?   Whatever for ?    I'm not worthy of meeting royalty. 
Persephone:  (nearly bursts a gut laughing)  I'm certain you are more than worthy.   I'd like you to get to know her.  Something tells me you'd click. 
Arnon:  (supersilliouslly wriggles his eyebrow)  Ah ha, I get what you're planning.  Little Aphrodite, hoping to spark some romance.    I'm still young and not dead yet.   Might as well give it a chance.   I never thought of trying to court someone of such high blood before.
Persephone:  Something tells me you two will be perfect for each other.  You're my olive branch.  Please don't be offended by that. 
Arnon:  I don't pretend to know or understand the details why, but I sense you're trustworthy, Seph.   Alright.   Let's go.  I'm certain that your quest has been arduous and you're itching to return to Oakenridge. 
Persephone:  You read my mind, Arnon.  
Arnon:  Then come on !  We're burning daylight !   (euphoric grin) 
(They return to Oakenridge, which is sparkling and looking very pristine.) 
Arnon:   Sweet alfolgoes, I love what she's done with the place.   It's immaculate. 
Maladasia:   (coming up and hugging her sister)  I was worried you weren't coming back !   What took you ? 
Arnon:  Forgive the intrusion but it was I that held your sister up.  
Maladasia:  You're not from around these parts.  
Arnon:  You could tell ?   Very persceptive. 
Maladasia:  It's the accent.  That and the coloring in your fur.  It's an honor to have a guest. 
Arnon:   (takes her paw)   Pleasure is all mine, m'chere.  
Persephone:   (narrating)   Arnon took my sister out beyond the confines of our home and began showing her the world as he saw it.   Little did I know my gut instinct was right all along.   All my sister needed was someone who understood her, took her out of herself and evoked the best version of herself that she could be.  
Scene 3--One Last Provocation
Persephone:   (waking up early in the morning and breathing in the morning air)  Smell that sweet springtime air.   Cherry blossoms are blooming again. 
Maladasia:  (smiling)  You're not kidding.  It's so beautiful. 
Arnon:   (looping his arm around her's)  Tell me about it.  
Maladasia:  (tittering like a schoolgirl) 
Persephone:  Is that mirth I hear in your tone, dear sister ?  
Maladasia:  (a bit surprised, even at herself)  I suppose it is !  
(While all of them are celebrating, singing and dancing that spring has come, the Eagles come out of nowhere and start to try and snatch up Arnon, but he has a thorn in his possession and scares them off.) 
Fury:  That one, he's a demon !   Leave him be, there may be more like him. 
Gale:  I told you we should stick to fish, mother. 
Fury:  Oh, silence, Gale.  Shut your beak.  
Arnon:  Didya see that ?   Won't be messing with us anytime again soon ! 
Kit:  I was all too ready to blow the whistle and call the Rag Tag Crew.  
Maladasia:  (is almost too stunned to speak)  That was incredible.  
Arnon:  I can teach you all how to use weapons like that.   It never hurts to be armed. 
Persephone:  I want to sugguest another way though.  (clears throat)  
(Sings 'Take a Second Look') 
Maladasia:  Normally, I wouldn't have given your idea another thought, but we can issue your diplomacy too.    You know, Arnon and I had been talking...
Persephone:  (supersilliously, tinted with innuendo) Arnon and I, hmmm ?  
Maladasia:   I was wrong to take the throne from you.   You should rule us.  Mother would have wanted it that way.   I hope you forgive me.   I pray everyone can forgive me for what I have caused them to suffer. 
(All the animals come forward and offer their forgiveness.) 
Pip:  Grieving can be a hard process.  We understand that, Majesty. 
Maladasia:   Just Maladasia will be a  proper address now.  
Persephone:  (narrating)   Any ideas that Daisy had about Emiteville were long gone.  She had been happy to relinquish the throne to me.   It certainly was a renewal of everything that we had known.   I knew that what we had gone through had prepared me to be a great, fair and gracious monarch.   Someday my pups would rule but they were still children at this time.    My sister was soon married to Arnon.   I was her bridesmaid, my husband the best squirrel and our children, flower squirrel and ring bearer.   All the malice had been erased by love, as easy as that.   The past wars and lives lost, though remembered, didn't bring us any sadness any longer.   We had friends that ensured our safety and a tale to tell those who came after us who wanted to know what the Green Warfare entailed.   It came and went with the wind, and like the seasons was over and gone too soon.   We soon welcomed more squirrels into our clan.  Our friendships with the mice and rats were iron clad.  We now relied on each other instead of cowering in the darkness  knowing that we were surviving through this life together. 
No one knew where the future was heading or what progress would do, but we knew that we could coexist with some of the bipeds.   To be honest, it was up to them what really happened to all of us.   All I know is that I have faith they take the right road, even if it isn't popular or comfortable.   Change can be painful, but how else can a caterpillar transform into a gorgeous butterfly without sumerging itself in its cocoon ?  Like all things, it takes time, dedication, wisdom, persperation and desire.   It's the alchemy for success, tempered with love and patience.  

(We see these events unfold on screen as Persephone tells them, seeing the wedding and hearing the Irish/Scottish jigs and reels followed by Polish polkas and Greek folk dances.  The final picture of our land is shown of a POV of the whole land our heroes live in and that it is becoming greener and more vibrant.  It seems that humans here are learning from their past and becoming aware that destructive measures in the long run do more harm than good.  Perhaps Persephone's faith is not in error ?) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers