Gods and Mortals



Synopsis:   Do Gods really intervene in human affairs?  The lesser known Goddess of Sneakers, Nike, is petitioned by a hapless mortal, a fitness trainer named Cyrus Carmichael.   All Cyrus wanted was to increase his shoe sales.  Nike wants to awaken mortal’s devotion of her kind and points out people who are demigods--people you'd never suspect! 

~*~CAST~*~
Nike, Goddess of Sneakers:
Aram Mudi, demigod:
Percival Trenton, demigod:
Cyrus Leo Carmichael:
Nicole Carmichael: (his mom)
Vincent Carmichael: (his dad)
Leroy Carmichael: (his granddad)
Eden Kyrie, demigoddess: (love interest) 
Halcyon 'Hal' Swanson, demigod:
Iris Stamos, demigoddess: 
Jasmine Navavi, demigoddess:
Jaelen Stamos: (Iris’s child)
Tina Navavi: (Jasmine’s child)
Eros, God of Love:

Scene 1--Shoe Sales Flagging
Cyrus:   (closing down shop and the racks are still stacked with shoes, a little bit of lint blows by sadly across the floor but he sweeps it up and throws it away, he sighs, in a melancholy way)   Nothing.   Nada.  Zilch.  Bumpkus.   That's what I sold today.   Not even the lint pities me.   So depressing.   I'm not even certain I can keep this Foot Crate up and running with the lack of money coming in.  
(Drives home, a bit slumped over and knocks into his bookcase.  An old dusty book falls from its shelves.  He blows it off, coughs and sneezes.) 
Cyrus: (reading the golden print)  Summoning Gods and Goddesses.   I don't know if I should but desperate times call for desperate measures.  (Flipping through pages)   Aha !   Nike, Goddess of Sneakers.  If she can't make Foot Crate gobs of filthy lucre I don't know who else can, other than maybe Lakshmi but I'm sure she has her agenda full of requests from gold lovers the world over.   Alright.   Sage, frankincense and a small bowl to beat ingredients together with pestle.   Thank goodness mom was always into homeopathic methods or I would have no clue as to what a pestle was or how to use it.   Simple enough.  
(He goes shopping and some atrociously annoying muzak playing in the background.  He finds himself humming along, in spite himself to 'Wannabe', and 'Mmm Bop') 
Cyrus:  (muttering)  The Millennials’ flagship albums.   Whatever happened to good music that tells a tremendous story, or makes you cry your eyes out ?  (shakes head and sighs)
(The clerk, unenthusiastic, checks him out with barely even a 'hi' or 'hello' or 'thank you'.  He hurries home, puts on black track pants, a white tank top and a black hoodie to begin the ritual.  Mixing up all the ingredients, he then goes to the middle of his living room and begins dancing as if his life depended on it.) 
Cyrus:  (to himself)  I look like a moron.   Ah well, this is for the greater good.  What do I have to lose ? 
(Begins to chant and sing 'Summoning Nike') 
(ZAP !   In a bolt of lightning, Nike, a little phased, comes out of the elixir he's made, which is completely evaporated.) 
Nike:  (non-plussed, perhaps a bit blaze about this whole thing)  Behold, mortal !  You have summoned Nike !   Goddess of Sneakers !   Tremble in fear at her glory !
Cyrus:  (looking her up and down)  It worked.  It actually worked !  (applauding and dancing with her)
Nike:  (incredulously) How dare you touch me, foolish mortal !
Cyrus:  A bit rude, aren't we ?  I brought you here.  Granted, I don't know how to send you back, but I'm certain there's a 'return' elixir somewhere in that tome I found.  
Nike:  (drawn out, disappointed sigh)  I suppose I'll have to make the most of this situation.   So, what seems to be the problem, mortal ?
Cyrus:  Firstly, you can start off by calling me Cyrus.   It's more polite.  
Nike:  (pouts, crosses arms for a moment and then un-entwines them, placing them back at her sides)  Whatever. 
Cyrus:  As I said in my petition, my store, Foot Crate, needs dire assistance.   I'm barely making ends meet !   I can't even live off my salary as fitness trainer. 
Nike:  (thinking to herself)  Maybe I can become stronger off the tribute I receive from shoe sales.   Hmmm.  This might not be so bad.  
Cyrus:   What do you say ?   Please, help me. 
Nike:  I've thought it over and I concur.   Helping you is top priority.  
Cyrus:   Now that you're here, I hope you find my humble abode appealing. 
Nike:  It's rather comfortable, honestly.   (yawning)  I suppose the journey has enervated me more than I realized. 
Cyrus:  It is rather late.    You can use my guest room.  It's rarely occupied.  Make yourself at home. 
Nike:  Thank you, Cyrus.   I most certainly will. 
(Nike snaps her finger to change into something more comfortable before sauntering off into the guest room.) 
Cyrus:  (to himself, and get himself to bed)  This will certainly be intriguing to say the least...  (yawns and goes to sleep)  
(Scene fade) 
Scene 2--Getting Down to Business
Nike:  (getting up, stretching, snapping her fingers to change into a more comfortable 'sporty' outfit, in a pleasant and mirthful tone)  Cyrus, wake up !  We've got work to do ! 
Cyrus:  (waking up, a bit groggy but surprised Nike has made breakfast for him)  Isn't this a treat ?   Typically I can do that for myself.  I would've gladly made bacon, eggs, toast and jam for you. 
Nike:  (pats him on the shoulder)  You are truly a generous soul.   We don't have a lot of time to waste though.   Store opens fairly soon.   Hop to it !
Cyrus:  Yes, almighty Goddess !  
('Workin' For a Livin' plays in the background as Cyrus and Nike make the Foot Crate open for business.   Then the customers start rolling in and he can barely keep up with them, 'Money, Money, Money, Money' plays and he can hardly believe the amount of business he's getting.) 
Percy:   Salutations, Nike !   Fancy meeting you here. 
Cyrus:   You two know each other ?
Nike:  Yes, of course we do.   Percy's a demigod.   He's one of many.  
Percy:  (laughing heartily)  We blend in rather well with mortals.  
Cyrus:  How can I tell a demigod from myself ? 
Percy:   It takes practice but something tells me you've got the sight.   Here, let me show you.   See that man over there in the sweet shop ? 
Cyrus:  Yes.   Seems like any normal joe. 
Percy:   Of course, but there is where you'd be wrong.   Let your eyes go a little hazy.   Relax. 
Cyrus:  Oh...my...Word.   Does that man have a sort of golden aura ?
Percy:  And there you have it.   The sight !   (pauses)   How did you come to appear here, Nike ?
Nike:   This man summoned me.   Sadly, he doesn't know if he has a return spell.   I thought boosting his business would've sent me back to Olympus.  
Percy:  Pity.   You'd better find that return incantation, young one.
Cyrus:   Don't worry, I will.    I don't want Nike to become homesick.  
Percy:   You truly are a good man.   If Nike could've appeared with anyone, I'm happy it was in your abode.   (hard slap on the back)  Watch her, keep her in good health.   Demigods are watching.  
(He walks away, a bit dramatically.   Halcyon matches his gaze and points his eyes at himself and then at Cyrus before walking away, huge grin on his face.) 
Cyrus:  That's hardly reassuring.    (takes a big breath)  Hey, would ya look at the time ?  Almost closing time. 
Nike:  So quickly ?   Hmm, work really isn't so awful as the other Immortals say it is.  
Cyrus:  (snickers a bit)  
Eden:  Are you still open ?  
Cyrus:   Yes, that I am, miss.   Can I help you with something ?  
Eden:   My feet really hurt when I'm on the job.  Could you recommend suitable footwear for me ?  
Cyrus:   Certainly !   Right this way.  
Eros:  (in the corner)  And yes, that's my cue.  
Nike:   (sees Eros out of the corner of her eye)   Go on, I won't interfere.   I can see this working out splendidly.    Even if she is a demigod, he'll realize it sooner or later.   Love is love right ? 
Eros:   My specialty is in matchmaking.   Watch me work.   (he stops time between them and touches them both on the shoulder as Cyrus sizes Eden's foot)  Now we just watch as the fireworks ignite.  (winks at Nike, waves his hand and disappears)
Nike:  Eros, always the dramatic one.  
Eden:   These will work perfectly !    Thank you so much.   You know, I never caught your name.   Silly me, I never introduced myself.  (she giggles) 
Cyrus:   I'm Cyrus.  Besides here I am a fitness trainer.   I can always cut you a good deal on upcoming courses if you're interested.   Not that you need it though, you're in exceptional shape !  
(They laugh)  
Eden:  I'm Eden.  (shakes his hand)   What say you and I have a cup of coffee some time ?   (writes her number on a piece of paper off a notepad she pulls out of her purse)   Here's my number.   Give me a call when you have a day off.  
Cyrus:   You can count on that.    Thank you.    
(She walks away with a certain bounce in her step)  
Nike:   Look at you, smooth operator.    You deserve it after all the hardship you've been through !   (pats him on the shoulder) 
Cyrus:  It should be me who's praising you.  
Nike:  (gets a little extra boost)  Oooh, that's nice adulation.   Feels gooooood.    Thanks for that.  
(Scene fade and Cyrus walks away whistling 'Unforgettable' as he does.  Nike chuckles at his newfound attitude, finding it quite contagious.) 

Scene 3--Who's The Lady ?  
Nicole:  (knocking on her son's door) Cyrus ?   Are you in there ?   We need to talk !
Cyrus:   Oh, boy.  This doesn't sound good.   I haven't seen or heard from my parents in a long while.  
Nike:  (answering the door, wearing only a towel)  
Vincent:   Hello, gorgeous !  Who are you and where have you been all my life ? 
Nicole:  CYRUS LEO CARMICHAEL !   We need to talk, NOW !
Cyrus:  Y-yes, mother !  
Nicole: (yanking his ear, hard)  You didn't tell me you were living with someone. 
Living in SIN !   Of all the nerve, I should bust your hide right here, right now. 
Nike:  (snapping her finger to a more proper, and ethereal dress)   I can explain everything. 
Vincent:  Please do, you vision ! 
Nicole:   Vinny, don't make me madder than I have to be.
Vincent:  Yes, my dove.  
Nike:   I'm Nike, Goddess of Sneakers.   Your son summoned me here. 
Vincent:   Get out of town ! 
Nicole:  Perhaps we need to call the paddy wagon and get you both to the asylum. 
Cyrus:  I swear to God, mother.   We're not crazy.  
Nicole:  How do we know she's not just some kind of terrific magician and what we saw was an elaborate illusion ? 
Nike:   I wouldn't dare fool you.   I am indeed from Olympus.   Your son petitioned me and viola !  
Vincent:  I need to sit down.   
Nicole:  We all do after what I tell you.   You, young lady, you can stay or leave.  The message really doesn't concern you. 
Nike:   I think it does now that I'm here on your plane. 
Nicole:  Fair enough.   (sighs)  Your grandfather is dying.   He hasn't been doing well these past few days.   Barely eats, doesn't drink.  
Vincent:  He has no pain though.  The cancer's progressed and hospice nurses are giving him a steady supply of morphine.  
Nicole:  I know our relationship has been a bit strained over the years.   Your grandpa would be glad to see you before he passes.  
Vincent:  It won't be much longer before he starts rapping on St. Pete's gate.  He's not very responsive now. 
Cyrus:  It's my fault.  My work has kept me away from you two, and you know I love you both. 
(They agree)
Cyrus:   I'm sorry we had a falling out over trivial and paltry things in the past.   The past is but dust in the wind.  
Vincent:  How you've grown.   Come here, son.  We're both so proud of you ! 
(They hug him)  
Cyrus:  I have to go with them.  You can stick around the house if you like, Nike. 
Nike:  No, I want to see your grandfather, too.  
('Deep River' plays in the background as they say their goodbyes to their grandfather and he dies, scene shift to the funeral.  Eden happens to see him at the gravesite and comes to pay her respects.   Her demigod friends are watching and seem to have multiplied.)  
Scene 3--Why Can't We Dine Alone ? 
Cyrus:  (wiping his eyes)  At least now you won't have any pain, suffering or tears where you're going, grandpa.   But I'll sure miss you.   
Eden:   I'm so sorry, Cyrus.   I didn't know.  I just happened to be passing by.   I'm not at all dressed for the occasion. 
Cyrus:  (laughs in spite of himself)   I'm just glad you could be here.  
Nicole:   Who's the lovely lady, honey ?
Cyrus:   This is Eden.   We met at work.  
Eden:   He sized the perfect shoes for me.   Not only that but they're really cute ones and match everything I wear.  
Nicole:   He does have an eye for accessories.  
Vincent:  He was color coordinating before he could talk ! 
Cyrus:   (embarrassed)  Dad, please !  
Vincent:   Sorry, young'un.   I'm just proud of ya.   (pats him on the shoulder)  
Cyrus:   If you don't mind, we're going to depart the funeral early.  I had promised Eden earlier that I'd go out to eat with her.  
Eden:   Oh, I don't want to impose. 
Nicole:  You're not, precious !   Go on, you two.   We don't mind.  
(They walk away from the gravesite and he bravely reaches out for her hand to hold it.   He opens the side car door for her, letting her in.) 
Eden:  What was that just then back there ?   You were bold to hold my hand. 
Cyrus:   I realize that time is precious.   We never know how much we have of it. 
Eden:   A fitness instructor and a philosopher.   You never cease to impress and amaze. 
(They stop at a little Greek place and Cyrus orders in the mother tongue, further impressing his date.) 
Eden:  You speak Greek ?
Cyrus:  (shakes hand back and forth) Ligo.   I don’t really speak well, honestly.   I invested in some Plimseur CDs and when I’m jogging, I learn new phrases.   I think, why not ?  Someday, I want to travel there.   I’ve always adored Greek mythology. 
Eden:  You and I already have a lot in common.  
Cyrus:  Is it me, or are we getting stared down ?  
Eden:  (noticing all the other demigods in the room, gives them a stern look in return) They’re just looking out for me.   I don’t want to scare you, but I’m just like them.
Cyrus:  I knew there was something different about you.  I just couldn’t see it.  
Eden:  You’re not put off by it ? 
Cyrus: (takes her hands)  No !   Why would I be ?  You’re fascinating, and to be honest (a bit coyly, bashfully) I like you quite a bit.  
Eden:  I do too.  
Eros:  (watching from a distance)  Some of my best work yet.   You go, Eros !  
(Scene fade)  
Scene 4—Working With Troubled Kids 
Nike:  (yawning and stretching, noticing that it’s Cyrus up and about earlier than she)  Hey, you’re up early.  What’s the occasion ? 
Cyrus:  Eden said she’d join me while I help train the track and field team over at the high school.  Part of what I do.   Their regular PE teacher, Mr. Yarrow, is on vacation.  I’m subbing, but I love helping out kids, especially the ones that need the most guidance.
Nike:  You are indeed a rare breed.   (Notices that the tome is opened up to the last page, where there is a return spell)  You know, we’ve been doing really well in sales and I can see you’re getting along swimmingly with your demigoddess. 
Cyrus: Not without other demigods glowering at us from a distance.  
Nike:  I’m certain Eden took care of that by broadcasting her intentions at your date. 
Cyrus:  You are a marvel, Nike.   I’m sorry I kept you here. 
Nike:  My ability to help others is grown since you’ve increased my number of devotees.  Honestly, I don’t think you even need the return spell.  
Cyrus:  Then, what’s holding you here ? 
Nike:  I’ve come to enjoy your company as a friend.  Honestly I want to see you happy with Eden.   I know part of that was my handiwork.   
Cyrus:  (tries not to laugh too hard)  You’re probably right though.  Had the store not had your help, I probably never would’ve met Eden.  
Nike:   Plus, to be honest, I want to dance at your wedding. 
Cyrus:  (nearly sputters)  Isn’t it a little early to be thinking about weddings ?  I’ve just started dating Eden.   Don’t rush us. 
Nike:  Sorry !   I can’t help it.  I guess I’m sort of a sucker for romance.  Who would’ve thought ?  I always held the belief that was Eros’ expertise.  
Cyrus:  I’ll be off.   What will you be doing while I’m gone ?  
Nike:  (stretches again)  I’ll be out and about discovering your mortal realm.  There are so many places I haven’t been.   Besides, I’m really starting to like it here.   (snickers) I’ll be back at a suitable hour.   I may not even return.   If I leave on my own accord, I’ll write you a note indicating my farewell.  
Cyrus:   Will you return ? 
Nike:  If I’m invited, of course I will.   Thanks to your booming business, I won’t need ambrosia just to survive.   Take care out there, Cyrus. 
Cyrus:  (salutes and walks away with a gleaming smile and bounce in his step)  Will do, Nike ! 
(Nike goes out on her own to explore while Cyrus goes to work with athletes.) 
Jaelen:  (irritated)  No matter what I do, I just can’t seem to lift this javelin straight.
Cyrus:  Here, let me show you…
(Iris is watching from a distance, smiling) 
Jaelen:  I think I get it now, coach.  Thanks, you’re awesome ! 
Cyrus: (pats him on the back)  You always had it in you, Jaelen ! 
Eden:  You’re really good with those kids, Cy. 
Cyrus:  (humbly)  I don’t know about that.  I seem to connect with them.  You know I was teased, mocked and ostracized when I was a little kid.   So in order to fight back, I bulked up and studied as much as I could.  When the bullies saw me, they were so scared they ran home screamin’ to their mamas !  
Eden:  Karma does have its ways.  
Tina:  (running frantically to Cyrus, catching her breath) Coach ! 
Cyrus:  (hand on her shoulder, gently) What’s wrong, Tina ? 
Tina:  Every time I want to clear this vault, I psych myself out.  (a bit angry) I don’t know why I keep sabotaging myself. 
Cyrus:  Tina, honey, I’ve seen you clear that pole thousands of times before.  You’re an expert at it.   I know you’re going to break records this year.   I believe in you.  Your mom’s out there cheering you on in the stands, see ? 
Jasmine:  (vigorously waving from the bleachers)  Yoo-hoo !   You go, Tina !  
Tina:  You’re right, coach.   I was freaked out for no reason.  I’m going to try again.
(Watches as she easily jumps over the pole, no troubles, and sticks the landing like a pro.) 
Cyrus:  (clapping)  That’s what I’m talkin’ about !   See ?   You’re a natural !  
Eden:  (playfully)  Do you ever think of having little ones ?
Cyrus:  Sometimes, yes, I do.   I just haven’t met the right lady yet. 
Eden:  Did you ever think she might be right in front of you ? 
Cyrus:  (sputters)  W-what are you saying ?  
Eden:   Time is fleeting, like you said before.   I think I knew, from the moment I met you that we were meant to be together.  
Cyrus:  We’ve only known each other for a few weeks, though.  
Eden:  We’re already making it work.   (pats his hand)  With you, I’ve never been happier.
Cyrus:  Nor have I.  
Eden:  I don’t mind going slow though.   We can take all the time we need.   
(Scene begins fading and merging into a new one where we see Cyrus and Eden finally getting married
Cyrus:  (narrating)  And this is exactly what the two of us did.   It took us a year, but eventually, we did finally marry.   Eros, the one responsible for our union, came to praise his own handiwork again, that ham.   Nike came to say her final farewells before sending herself back home.   She did remind me that even though she was faraway, she’d be keeping an eye on me and would be my eternal friend.   She reminded me that my whole family would have a special place in Olympus someday, which I felt was rather lofty praise.   With that in mind, I lived with even more fervor, passion and zest.  Eden and I did welcome children into the world; little Leroy and Lillian, fraternal twins.  Boy are they a handful.   They’re the best handful I have been dealt since Eden came into my life.  Honestly, life couldn’t be any better, business is booming and I’ve been called upon to take Yarrow’s place, believe it or not.   The kids seemed to connect with me better and think of me not only as their coach but their surrogate dad.  Life, indeed, is grand. 
(The End.  As credits roll, romantic Greek music plays and we see the two newly crowned parents playing with their little ones while grandma and grandpa join in.   Eagle eyed demigods watch in the park, grinning all the while and Eros pops in with a final smirk, saying ‘Best idea ever !’ before whisking himself away and flamboyantly whipping his scarf round his neck in a show of semi-arrogance and self-adulation.) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers