An Odd Reminiscence

I was recalling a rather cringy sales experience that I had at Friedman's (probably one of the worst jobs next to Textiles in Goodwill).   There was an Islamic woman looking at jewelry with a little baby in a stroller (I nearly said 'pram', LOL).   I kept smiling at him but he kept crying.  It was very disturbing and I honestly thought I was ugly and that's why I thought the baby was crying.   Once I stopped grinning though, the kid was fine.   I never really understood why a smile would make a kid cry like that unless he had a different perception of smiles.    I can honestly say working on commission was absolutely horrific and I will never do it again.   I do have a producing license for insurance but I will never use it.   I can tell you why and how insurance is important but beyond that I've learned my lesson.   Besides, the boss I had back in the day wasn't very kind to me but I did deserve being fired because I whistled and snapped at a black co-worker.  At the time, I hadn't slept, I wasn't thinking straight and I was stressed out.  Of course, I was much younger and far more inexperienced.  I was recently out of college looking for work to do and it was close to home.    I now know to do research before taking a job and seeing if one will actually enjoy it or not.    Still, I'm surprised I actually remember something that dark and disturbing.   To this day I have no idea why the little boy cried when I grinned at him.  Perhaps it's better I never do know.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers