Poster Boy



Synopsis:  Ezekiel Jeremiah is a virtually overlooked young man who has amazing artistic talent.  In his free time, he plays the drums for his cousin Jared’s band ‘Chimera’, Zeke is unpopular until a classmate of his, Bryan, notices his talent and encourages him to illustrate for others.  His work becomes so incredible to everyone that he enters his work in a competition.  Soon, Zeke finds himself in the strange world of fame with new friends and a girlfriend.  When the fame ends, those he felt were ‘friends’ have moved on and his girlfriend and best friend remain even though Zeke reverts to ‘normal status’ once again. 
          ‘Let music guide your hearts.’—Gareth, Gary’s Synthesizer, Regular Show
~*~CAST~*~
Ezekiel Jeremiah: (drum player, tenor singer)
Jared Crow:  (lead singer, keyboard)
Bryan Finkelstein: (bass guitar)
Nadine Bynum: (love interest, alto singer, percussion)
Harold Waltz: (rhythm, bass singer)
Rachel Vanderbilt:  (Jared’s girlfriend, soprano singer)
Robert ‘Bob’ Elias: 
Donna Merl: 
Trent Heywood: 
Starla Moonbeam:  
Connie Jeremiah: (Zeke’s mom)
Leonard Jeremiah: (Zeke’s dad) 
Gene Crow: (Jared’s dad)
Iona Crow: (Jared’s mom) 
Scene 1—Reminiscing with Cousin Jared
Zeke:  (narrating)  My name’s Ezekiel Jerimiah.  Yeah, I know, by the looks of it, I’m just an ordinary kid living a seemingly ‘normal’ life.    To be honest, I don’t miss the heyday of my fame, nebulous as it was.   (chuckles)  I’m getting ahead of myself, though.  
Jared:  Zeke, how do you keep doing that ?  You’re like the God of fighting games.
Zeke:  (non-plussed, unenthusiastic but slightly arrogant)  I know.  Must be in these magical thumbs I possess.  
Jared:   Hey, cous, remember when we were The Loyal Order of The Rabbit ? 
Zeke:  (trying not to laugh too loudly)  TLOOTR ?   Ah, yes.  Those were the days.  Neither you nor myself could afford getting involved with boy scouts, so we invented our own group. 
Jared:  Our own badges, quests and survivalist training, based on the books our folks had lying around. 
Zeke:  Man, I can’t believe some of the scars we maintained accomplishing all the work it took for our badges.   But we both became full fledged rabbits. 
Jared:  Yeah.  I still have my sash. 
Zeke:  You dork. 
Jared:  You’re just as much as fault as I am.  We both handstitched our sashes and sewed on our own badges.  
(The two burst out into fits of laughter) 
Zeke:  Do you remember the theme song we came up with ? 
Jared:   (brightening and becoming nostalgic)  Do I ?   You know it ! 
(They sing ‘TLOOTR’ together)
Zeke:  Did that ever have a second verse ?
Jared:  (tries to recollect) Actually, yeah, it went like this.   We are the loyal order, adventures surely await, we are the loyal order, boldly running through ev’ry gate.   (laughs heartily)
Zeke:  (long, distant sigh)  Ah, good times.   Good, good times.  (pause) Things were so much simpler then, like they are now.  Good thing we have Chimera. 
Jared:  We’ll never be like 404 File Not Found, though.  
Zeke:  Those cretins and hacks ?  Phssttttt.  Wasted talent.   Just because they have fancy-schmanzy synthesizers they think they’re the cat’s pajamas.   (pause)  Chimera will still be number one in my book.   Had it not been for your galactic band, I would’ve never found my astronomical girlfriend. 
Jared:  That’s the power of music, cous. 
(flashback)  
Scene 2—The Makings of Greatness
Jared: (in his garage)  Hey, cous  !   What’s the haps ? 
Zeke:  I could say the same about you.   What is all this equipment ?
Jared:  I’m setting up my own band.  Chimera.  
Zeke:  (getting shivers)  Ooo, that name gives me chills.  It’s perfect.  
Harold:  Hey, I’m Harold.  Harry for short.   I’ll be playing rhythm and bass. 
Rachel:  I’m Jared’s sweetie.  I’ll be joining his incredible tenor with my sweltering alto. 
Zeke:  You never mentioned you had a girlfriend before, Jar. 
Jared:  You never asked, Zeke !   No hard feelings though. 
Zeke:  (chortling)  None taken.  
Bryan: (running in with Nadine)  We’re not late are we ? 
Zeke:  Fashionably so.  What took you ?  Who’s she ?
Nadine:   I’m Nadine.  Bryan, your buddy, talked me into joining the band.  He’s very motivational that way.  
Zeke:  True.   What possessed you to join Jared’s band though ? 
Byran:  A chance to do something incredible.  Besides, you could get us noticed, Zeke. 
Zeke:  How do you mean ?
Bryan:  Your artwork.  
Jared:  Bry’s got a point there.  Your illustrations are extraordinary.  
Nadine:  I’d like to see this work. 
Zeke:  (bashfully)  I wouldn’t mind showing it to you sometime.  
Jared:  All of this is all well and good but we’re not gonna reach stardom just by standing around.    Let’s get to jamming ! 
(They all play ‘We’re Chimera’ together and inspiration hits Zeke.  After practicing for a while, he says his goodnights to his friends and has the vision of Nadine invading his heart and mind and begins to draw.)  
Scene 3—The Great Reveal
(Coming in to Jared’s garage after school and schlepping around his poster, which he reveals.  ‘Rock n’ Roll Creation’ plays in the background.) 
Zeke:  Aw, yeah, boyyyy !  Check it !   It’s sizzling, it’s simmering !  It’s succulent !  Saucy and sexy, all by moi ! 
Nadine:  It is perfect.  You really do have an immense, amazing talent. 
Bryan:  If this doesn’t get people’s attention I don’t know what will ! 
Jared:   Now that’s what I am talking about !  Man, this is ill, Zeke !  
Zeke:  It took me about 7 hours after homework to get done.  I missed some sleep (yawns lightly) but it was worth it.  Every last stroke of the paintbrush !  
Jared:  (hugging him from the side)   I love you, man !   (motivationally after a brief pause)  Now let’s get to rockin’ !  
Zeke:  How about ‘Behold My Face’ ? 
Jared:  Great suggestion ! 
(They play it and some talent scouts come around.  ‘Mr. Toot’ plays in the background on their radio until they step out of the car and check out this rag-tag garage band.) 
Rob:  Sweet group you’ve got there.   You’ve got a remarkable sound, too. 
Donna:  What do you guys call yourselves ? 
Harold:  We’re Chimera.   What about you guys ?  Are you talent scouts ?
Starla: You might say that.   We’ve got our own group but we need someone to open for, and you lot seem to be perfect. 
Jared:  (in a state of shock and disbelief)  No way, pinch me.  I must be dreamin’, man !  
Rob:  You’re not.   We’re going to be playing at the local festival and we need entertainment. 
Trent:  Somewhat hard to come by in this two-bit, two-horse, cul-de-sac, but I think we hit the bullseye when we found you.  
Rachel:  All well and good but we need to know your credentials before we sign anything first.
Jared:  That’s my girlfriend, all business.   Just the way I like it.  
(Jukebox Hero plays in the background while they discuss.) 
Zeke:  (narrating)  And it was on like ping pong from that moment further.   It was a whirlwind of activity that led to us finally having our so called moment in the sun until we realized that we were being used as a springboard for 404 FOF.   It was one unreal, paranormal thrill ride of ecstasy and fame one moment but the next, we were being overshadowed and our spotlight was bogarted.   
(Scene shift)  
Scene 4—Crashing Like a Wave into the Shoreline 
(Rob and his buddies are getting ready to perform.  They wish everyone to break a leg and ‘knock ‘em dead’ out there.  They open with their signature song as well as one more to lighten the mood.) 
Zeke:  I thought they were only going to sing their theme like we practiced.  
Nadine:  (coming in dressed very sensually, for a moment ‘Green Eyed Lady’ plays in the background until Nadine opens her mouth to speak the truth)  You’re always too trusting, Zeke.  I knew I had a bad feeling about this before we signed any of that paperwork.   I just hope it’s not binding.   Jared and Rachel warned us about that too.  These guys don’t hold any scruples.  I think they’re not really in it for the music. 
Zeke:  (irate, but keeping a stoic stance)  Sacrilege !   Blasphemy  !  You have sullied the holy name of music.  Such bitter words coming from such a sweet mouth !  
Nadine:  (holding his hand, tenderly)  You were so in the moment you were blinded…
Zeke:  (hangs head sadly)
Harold:  I think we all were, dude.  We still have to play.   Let’s give ‘em ‘The Fooler’. 
Zeke:  That song, I think was tailor made for Rob and his greedy bunch. 
Rachel:  Hey, all.  (she walks in also dressed somewhat provocatively, and Jared’s head turns and his eyes nearly bug out from their sockets.   ‘Black Magic Woman’ plays in the background.)  
Jared:  Hummna, hummna, hubba hubba, baby waby likey…
Rachel:   Close your mouth, love.  You’re letting the flies in. 
Jared:   All I can say is daddy likes what he sees.  
Rachel:   (patting him playfully on the backside)  I’m glad it appeals to you.  
Bryan:  What’s goin’ on ?   Y’all got butterflies like I do ?  My tummy’s doin’ major barrel rolls here.  
Jared:  We’re still going out there to perform.   The Fooler will be our curtain call.  After this, I’m pulling the plug on Rob’s amp, if you get my meaning. 
Rachel:   About time.  We’ve led them all around on our coattails long enough. 
Zeke:  To think I thought we were helping out charity and we were all just helping him beef up his bank account.
Rob:  (rushing to the dressing room)  Our set’s done, you’re on.   Come on, move it. 
Jared:  (calmly, but seething)  We will, Mr. Elias, but you can take that contract and shove it so far up your ass you’ll be constipated for weeks. 
Rob:  Excuse me ?  
Zeke:  You heard him, Rob.  
Harold:  We’re all through.   We’re done with the likes of you and your idiotic 404 FOF. 
Rob:   Fine.  It wasn’t like the band really needed you anyway.   There are plenty others that we can leech off of.   Consider yourselves terminated after your swan song.  
All Chimera:  No problem.   No tears from me.   Good to be free from dictatorship, is all I can say.  
Zeke:  No hard feelings though. 
Rob:  Whatever.   Get up there, you losers.
(They perform ‘The Fooler’ and then leave, their fame and notoriety soon forgotten, and they move on.   The fame was fleeting at best.) 
Scene 5—What Truly Matters
(As they revert to the normal status of their lives, they all graduate, with honors and any trace of 404 fades with the wind, even their notoriety.   A symphonic version of ‘I’ll Never Be Famous’ plays in the background and the guys begin to lament their ill-gotten faux fame, if only momentarily.) 
Bryan:   It’s finally happened.   We’re about to be adults.  
Harold:  I can’t believe it.  Have any of you applied for college yet ?
Rachel:   Jared and I have and were accepted to the same one.  Lucky, huh ?
Jared: (hugs her from the side)  Even if you were in another state, our love would burn brightly.  
Nadine:  That’s so romantic !    I’m certain the same will be true for us, even though you’re going to a college here and I’m going to be far away. 
Zeke:  Not too far.   You can always drive to see me during off times.  
Bryan:  I think we should all celebrate.  
Gene: (Standing at the door with Iona, having overheard)  Iona and I couldn’t agree more.  This party isn’t going to throw itself. 
(They all prepare to ‘Loving This Life’ and have a cookout by the end of the evening.  Even Jerimiah’s parents are over to share in the jubilation.) 
Connie:  This is a stellar fete, don’t you think, Leonard ? 
Leonard:  (chuckling)  No one can do it better than our cousins.   The food is tremendous, especially your Waldorf.  
Connie:  (blushing and hugging him close)  You always say the nicest things about my cooking. 
Leonard:  I speak from experience.  Besides, it’s true.   Look, the bowl’s halfway gone by now.  That speaks for itself ! 
Connie:   Lenny, flattery will get you everywhere.  And you know what I mean.  (wriggles eyebrows)
Zeke:  Ugh, mom, dad.   Get a room.  (pretends to gag himself) 
(Things don’t really get cranking until they play ‘Ode to the Bouncer’, ‘Make a Move’, ‘Canned Heat’, ‘Get Lucky’, ‘Leva’s Polka Remix’, ‘Let’s Get Crazy’ and ‘Flip Fantasia’)  
Natal:  Wanna cut a rug with me ?
Zeke:  Sure !   I want to make this night last forever.  
(‘Save the Last Dance’ plays followed by upbeat reggae jams either by Marley or Matisyahu.) 
Zeke:  (narrating)   Relishing those nanoseconds with my family and friends made everything worthwhile.   Everything else trivial simply faded away.   Chimera would still be number one in my book as well as that of my cousin’s.   The band would remain together despite the distance and my love for Nadine would continue too.    The music would keep us together, no matter what and our memories, all good and refreshing, would remind us that the music, our friendship and love were all that really mattered in the end.  
(At the end, they’re lost in the thrill of the dance and laughter of each other’s company.   A shot is shown of the stars in their places, shining brightly in the evening sky.  ‘The End’ is written in the constellations.   Bloopers are shown in the gag reel as well as thanks for inspiration given.  Also recent artists that have been loved and passed are honored, for they too, made ‘Poster Boy’ a reality.   Without music, none of this would’ve been possible.  As Prince often said, ‘Music makes hard times more bearable.’   To everyone, thank you, bless you, I love you and cherish you.) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers