Living Outside the Parentheses



Synopsis:  Relatively reserved Annie Zaratoki lives a somewhat charmed life that she considers ‘comfortable’ until Juanita ‘Nita’ Menendez moves into her neighborhood and begins breaking down all of Annie’s barriers just to get her out and amongst others as well as breathing in the efficacious air and relishing the exhilaration that comes from

~*~CAST~*~
Annie Zaratoki:
Hagrid: (Annie’s Newfoundland)
Elisha Zaratoki: (Annie’s mom)
Augustus ‘Gus’ Zaratoki: (Annie’s dad)
Juanita ‘Nita’ Menendez:
Victor Menendez: (Nita’s husband)
Julio Menendez: (Juanita’s younger bro)
Rosa Menendez: (Nita’s youngest daughter)
Diego Menendez: (Nita’s eldest son)
Nana Menendez: (Nita’s grandma)
Caesar: (Nita’s little Chihuahua) 
Cressida Milano: (Nina’s best friend)
Lupita Valdez: (Nina’s best friend)
Clover Steinway: (Annie’s best friend)
Xavier DuPont:  (love interest for Annie)

Scene 1—Quiet, Calm, Serene
Annie:  (taking her dog for a walk around the neighborhood)  It’s peaceful here in town.   Hagrid and I savor our long walks around the block.  Keeps us both in shape.  I see a lot of people I know from my time in high school, like Clover.   She’s got an Airedale named Fergus, and he’s quite a handful.   He and Hagrid get along marvelously well though.  I can’t complain, even though nothing much ever happens here.   I prefer things the way they are, predictable, comfortable and filled to the brim with nostalgia. 
(The idyllic chamber orchestra music comes to a halt and a moving van takes up residence down the way.  It’s filled to the brim with a rambunctious family that adores Latin music and has intense joie de vivre.)
Annie:  Hagrid, come.  It’s time to go.  
(calls her mom over the phone) 
Elisha:  Anna, honey, what’s the matter ? 
Annie:  Immediately when I call you, you always assume the worst.   Honestly, I don’t know what to make of this situation as of yet, but I can hear my new neighbors even when my doors are closed.  (grumbles in irritation) 
Gus:  Is that our little Annie on the phone ?  Hello my little baklava ! 
Annie:  Hi papi ! 
Elisha:  So, you already don’t like the new neighbors.  Or am I overstepping my intuitive boundaries ?
Annie:  No, you’re absolutely right.  They’re so noisy !  Ughhh, I can’t even think or read a book with all that racket.  
Gus:  Maybe it’s not such a bad thing to have a little excitement in your life.  When was the last time you and Clover did anything worth talking over the phone about, or even writing in your journal to jog your memory.   
Annie:   It’s been years.  She’s not the adventurous type.   The last thing we did that was fun, I guess, was going to the farmer’s market.  She’s got a cousin who owns an apiary and she wanted to support their business by buying their locally grown honey. 
Elisha:  That’s all well and good, but it didn’t get you out of the burbs. 
Annie:  I know, I need to get out more, mami. 
Gus:   At least give your neighbors a chance.   If you have a grievance, go and talk to them about it. 
Annie:  (grieved)  Fine.   I don’t much like it, but I’m going to give my neighbors a piece of my mind.  
Elisha:  That’s my girl !  
(Scene shift) 

Scene 2—Unlikely Friends
Annie:  (knocking on her neighbor’s door, and they’re having a huge party) 
Nita:  Hey !   I could barely hear you, due to all the music and whatnot !   Sorry about that !  
Annie:  (trying not to be too disgruntled)  Could you keep the music down a little ?  It’s sort of loud and I can’t hear myself think. 
Nita:  Sure !  (a bit loudly)  Hey, Diego !   Could ya turn down the amps ? 
Diego:   Yeah, yeah.   Got it.  
Annie:  (nervous laugh)  Sorry about that.  I don’t want to impose. 
Nita:  You’re not, really.   You look skinny as a rail !  Want something to eat ?
Annie:  (shakes head back and forth)  No, I don’t really need anything.  (stomach growls, loudly)
Nita:   Me thinks your gut dost protest too much, m’lady.   Come on, we have plenty of room.  I’m Juanita Menendez by the way.  Feel free to call me Nita, everyone else does. 
Annie:  (Quietly but able to be heard)  I’m Annie Zaratoki. 
Nita:   Greek, huh ?   Cool !  Always wanted to have a Greek neighbor.   Bet you make the most incredible food.  
Annie:   I don’t really cook Greek food that much, but I suppose I can make some domales for you sometime if you want. 
Nita:   Aw, yeah !  That’s the stuff !   I would adore that !   You’d have to make a lot though, cuz…Here we are, the whole Menendez flock ! 
Rosa/ Julio/Diego:  Baaaaaa !  
Victor:  Come in, come in !  We have plenty of food to go around ! 
Annie:  (taking a deep breath)  Oh, my.  It smells positively divine.  
Nita:  (showing her to a table, directing her to take a load off)  Sit, sit !  Make yourself at home.  
Julio:  We have all sorts of things to drink.  Soda, wine, beer, water, lemonade…
Annie:  Strawberry lemonade if you have it.  
Julio:  Por supuesto !   Right away ! 
Annie:   Nita, is that your son ?  
Nita:  (laughs heartily)  Heavens, no.   Julio is my younger brother.   Rosa and Diego are my ninos.  
Nana:   We’re glad you’ve decided to eat with us. 
Annie:  (taking the lemonade Julio’s given her)  Thanks, Julio.   It’s really nothing.  I second guessed myself there for a moment.   To be honest, I wanted to spend a quiet evening by myself, but you are all so welcoming, I couldn’t resist.  
Victor:  Mi casa es su casa as we like to say.  
Annie:  Where are you from anyway ? 
Nita:  Us ?  We’re originally from Chicago, but Victor and I got better jobs in the suburbs.  To be closer to our new careers, we moved here.   This lovely house happened to be for sale.  
Diego:  Yep, and the price was perfect, or so mama says.  
Rosa:  (sitting on Annie’s lap, playing with her hair)  Hi, pretty lady !  Your hair is so long, soft and nice.   I want long hair like yours ! 
Annie:  (trying not to laugh)  I’m sure it’ll grow out some day, Rosa.  You have to be patient. 
Nita:  Rosa, pequena, please get off the nice lady’s lap.   I’m so sorry.  
Annie:  It’s alright, Nina.   She doesn’t mean any harm.  I don’t have any little ones of my own, but looking at her, I’m hoping someday, once the right man comes into my life, that I can.  
Nita:  You’re still young, chica.   I mean, look at you.  You are muy calliente ! 
Annie:  (tries not to break into paroxysms of laughter)   That’s the first time anyone ever gave me such a lofty compliment.   (calms herself, whispers)  You see, I haven’t really had time to date.  
Nita:  Oh, no, chica.   That just won’t do.   You gotta get out more.  
Annie:  (covers her face with her palm) Ay.   You’re starting to sound like my mama ! 
(sighs)  You’re right though.   You think you can help me out, be my wingwoman ?
Nita:  Exactamente ! 
Diego:  (touches Rosa)  You’re it, little gata ! 
Rosa:  MEOW !  (chases after Julio)  I’m gonna getcha !  
Diego:  Ha, just try, slowpoke !  (She almost tags him)  HA !  Too slow ! 
Rosa:  (laughing merrily) 
Nita:  (seeing her little Chi run around like nuts)  You got a dog ?
Annie:  Yes, in fact I do.  He’s a monster though.  He seems to get along with other dogs. 
Nita:  Tell you what.  You, me, tomorrow, dog park.  The dogs and myself will be the perfect wingmen for you. 
Annie:  (backpedaling a little)  I don’t know about that, Nita.   Hagrid and I only walk around the block…
Nita:  (takes her hands into her’s)  Alright.  These are only baby steps in your growth, my dear.   You aren’t going to meet anyone if you stick close to home ! 
Annie:  You really do sound exactly like mama.   (lowers her head a little)  Yet, you do have a point.  Well rebutted.  
Nita:  That’s the spirit.   It won’t be a bad experience.   Tomorrow the weather’s supposed to be pleasant.  It’ll be perfect dog walking weather.  
Annie:  (squeezes her hands in reassurance)  I’ll never know if I don’t try.  Who knows, I might just meet my destiny. 
Nita:   There you go !   That’s the right attitude, Ann, carina ! 
Nana:  (gives her a little Tupperware bowl of food)  A little something for the road, chica. 
Annie: Aw, Nana, muchas gracias !  
Nana:   De nada !  
Annie:  (leaving with a bit of a skip in her step, thinking ‘this is truly the start of something great’)
(Scene fade) 
Scene 3—Love in the Dog Park
(The next day.  Overhead shot of the people hustling and bustling about the dog park.  A sweeping action shot of a dog owner throwing a Frisbee to his four-legged friend and the dog catching it, not missing a beat.  Annie heads to the dog park with Hagrid, faithfully by her side.   Nita comes with Caesar and the two instantly become friends.)
Nita:  Huh, would you look at that.  I’ve never seen Caesar take to any other dogs, or people for that matter.  You must have a real way with animals.
Annie:  Mama and papa always said I had animal magnetism, and this big guy, well, he picked me and we’ve been inseparable.   Funny thing is, he’s still got quite a bit of puppy in him and there are times he’s a little difficult to control.  
Nita:  (turns her face to the right)  Hunk at 5:00 !  
Annie:  (blushing)  Aw, and he has a Bouvier ! 
Nita:  Go on.   I’m only here for moral support and motivation.  (quietly but spiritedly)  You can do it, Annie !  
Annie:  (gulping)  I hope so.   Come on, Hagrid, lead the way. 
(Hagrid leads her up to Xavier, and his Bouvier takes immediate interest in Hagrid.)
Xavier:  Chuchu, what’s gotten into you ?  (looks up)  Ah, well, hello there !  I have never seen you around these parts before.  
Annie: (nervously placing some hair behind her ear, looking down a bit bashfully)  I don’t often come to the dog park.   (looks back up at him, bites her lip anxiously)  I’m Annie. 
Xavier:  (takes her hand to lightly kiss it)  Xavier.   Charmed, immensely.   I hope I wasn’t too forward, but when I saw you I had to leap at the opportunity.   So many of us live inside our own parentheses.   We get too afraid by not living out loud.
Annie:  (pauses)  Wow.  That’s profound, Xavier.  Had no idea you were a philosopher. 
Xavier:  (laughing, as they walk together)  A little something I do in my spare time.  Can we consider this a first date ?
Annie:  (blushing)  I suppose we can.  
Nita:  (whispers to Caesar her Chihuahua)   My work is done here !   (walks away with him) 
(‘Summer Place’ plays in the background while the two chat and laugh heartily) 
Annie:  I haven’t laughed like that in ages.  (stomach grumbles, sheepishly looks at him) 
Xavier:  What strikes your fancy right now, Annie ?
Annie:  I’d like to have some Italian food, but I don’t really know any good places around here. 
Xavier:  I know of plenty.   Come on, I’ll take you.  
(Scene fade, back at home, she’s relaxing and she gets a phone call from Nita that scares her nearly half to death) 
Scene 4—So, What’s He Like ?
Nita:  Tell me everything, chica ! 
Annie:  He’s French, for starters. 
Nita:  Oooo, saucy.   Good kissers, right ?
Annie:  (trying not to laugh too much)  Yes, ambrosial ones.  I haven’t been kissed like that in years !  
Nita:  You’re off to a tremendous start, carina.   What else ? 
Annie:   We’re a natural match !   I’m an accountant, and he’s into interior design.  We both have great appreciation for how important numbers are in our natural and supernatural world.  
Nita:   When’s the next date ?
Annie:  This weekend, and I haven’t a thing to wear.   (a bit nervous) 
Nita:  (even-toned, calm, cool and collected)  Chica, chica, chica.  You don’t have anything to worry about.  Settle down.   Nita Menendez, fashion guru.  To the rescue. 
(Annie and Nita go shopping for the perfect outfit, ‘Who’s That Lady’ and Annie strikes a pose.) 
Nita:  Looking sexy !   See, what did I tell you ?  You really are one little hot tamale.  X will love you in this.  
Annie:  (hugging her)  Thank you, Nita.  I don’t think I ever would’ve come this far had it not been for your gentle prodding. 
Nita:  (hugging her back)  You did most of the work yourself, linda.   Now go out there and knock ‘em dead ! 
(Scene shift to the weekend) 

Scene 5—Slightly Overdressed
Xavier:  (At the door with a bouquet of roses, rings doorbell) 
Annie:  Xavier !  You look sharp !
Xavier:  You look absolutely divine.   I think we’re both slightly overdressed though. 
Annie:  (raised eyebrow)  Why’s that ?
Xavier:  I want to take you to the local amusement park. 
Annie:  Doesn’t matter if we both put on our best duds !  Let’s go have a good time !
(‘I’m Coming Out’ plays followed by ‘Get This Party Started’ when the two are having a blast on the roller coasters.  Annie and Xavier are taking a respite and she has eaten a cannoli.  It leaves a bit of cream around her lips and Xavier wipes it off for her.) 
Xavier:  A slight imperfection in a vision of perfect beauty. 
Annie:  Someone watches Scorpion quite a bit, I can tell. 
Xavier:  (pout)  You’re trying to hijack the mood, Ms. Annie. 
Annie: (leans forward and kisses him, deeply)  No.  I love you.  Everything about you since day one.  I hope that’s not creepy.
Xavier:  No.  Honesty is something I value immensely.  I haven’t felt this way since I was first relocated to America.  I had to stay with my Aunt Babette, who, sadly passed from lung cancer when I was 13. 
Annie: (holds his hand)  It must’ve been hard finding her there, all peaceful in her recliner like that. 
Xavier:  It was, but I had friends that got me through the ups and downs of life.  Then, you walked my way.   Life couldn’t be better. 
Annie:  (lowers her gaze)  I’m truly humbled you feel this way, X.  
Xavier:  I can’t see myself with anyone else but you.   You’ve given me so much glee. 
Annie:  As you have.  (squeezes his hands) 
Xavier:  I was wondering.  
Annie:  Hmm ? 
Xavier:  Spring break is coming up soon.  Would you like to go to Province with me ?
Annie:  (gasps)  I’ve always wanted to go. 
Xavier:  Don’t worry, I’ll be your guide.  I still can speak perfect French and I can teach you along the way.  
Annie:  (with trepidation but eagerly)  Y-Yes !   I-I can’t believe I just agreed to that !
Xavier:  (pats her hand)  It’ll be the grandest adventure of our lives. 
Annie:  It already is, X.   (they kiss, again) 
(Scene shift) 
Scene 6—Exploring Province
Annie:  (at her hotel on her lab top, calling up her family)  Please be online.  Please be online !  
Gus: (on the other end)  How do you turn this thing on ?  Oh, hey my little baklava !
Annie:  Hello ! 
Xavier:  Bonjour !   I’m the one she’s been talking to you about. 
Elisha:  You better be treating her like a gentleman, Xavier. 
Annie:  (mortified)  Mother, please !   He’s right here. 
Xavier:  (kissing her cheek)  Don’t worry, Mrs. Zaratoki.  I have been nothing if not genteel.   (raises eyebrow)  Is that your friend, Juanita ?
Nita: (waves energetically)  I heard you would be calling your folks so, I asked them if I could Skype too.   I hope that’s ok.  
Annie:  Word certainly does get around that small town.   Sheesh ! 
Nita:  Sure does !   How’s Province ? 
Annie:  I don’t know much yet.  Just checking out the hotel.  The accommodations are comfortable.   Thinking of calling it a night though.  
Gus:  Keep us informed. 
Elisha:  We love you ! 
Nita:  (Wriggles eyes superciliously)  Have a good time, cara. 
Annie:  (rolls eyes)  Nuttier than almond butter the lot of them. 
Xavier:  It’s clear to see they all care for you though.  I’m turning in for the night. (yawns)  Bright and early in the morning, I’ll show you my city.  
(Kisses her deeply) 
Annie:  I’m thinking you’re up to more than that, though, Mr. DuPont. 
Xavier:  I’m still building up suspense though !  
(They laugh, both go to separate beds and turn the lights off for the night)
(The Next Day appears on the screen.  Classic French music plays in the background as they tour the idyllic landscape and try different foods.  Finally he takes her to a pastoral spot to enjoy some brownies he made along with a little wine.) 
Annie:  More food ?   (laughing)
Xavier:  I always prepare ahead, my angel.  (feeding her)  Sweets for the sweet.
Annie:  Why thank you, m’chere.  I feel there’s another reason you brought me here under this spellbinding blanket of stars.  
Xavier:  Ah, foiled again !   Actually, there is.  I had been trying to keep this a secret from you, but here it is.   I might be a bit brazen in asking but…(takes her hand and fishes for the wedding ring in his pocket) Will you do me the honor of becoming my wife ?   I want to experience the world with you, Annie.  I can think of no greater traveling companion ! 
Annie:  (with slight trepidation)  This is all happening so fast. 
Xavier:  The stars only shine brighter when I’m with you.  Together, I know there’s so much we can do.   Just consider my proposal, that’s all I ask.   We’ll see all things together, how’er insurmountable the task.  
Annie:  Gorgeous poetry. 
Xavier:  For a resplendent woman.  (waits her response) 
Annie:  Yes, you fool !   Of course !   I hope you don’t mind us taking baby steps, though. 
Xavier:  Of course not.   We’ve only been together a few months, but I can already witness our blueprint begin to unfold. 
Annie:  (giggles)  It does all seem to add up. 
Together:  Puns !   (they laugh)  
Xavier:   No one else is going to understand my humor like you do.  
Annie:  (takes his hands, gently) One more thing to look forward to ! 
(The two explore Province and get to sight-see the more familiar landmarks of Paris and kiss at the base of Le Tour Eiffel.   ‘La Vie En Rose’ plays and fades into the background while the two return home and are welcomed by a frenzied crowd of her family and friends.) 
Annie:  (narrating)  The joy was only beginning for Xavier and me.  Before I knew it, we were involved in a whirlwind of activity.  It took a year, but we were finally married and I invited Nita and her lot to our backyard for a cookout.  As promised, I made my signature domales and everyone went berserk for them !  My best friend Clover came over, commenting about how big I was getting.   Yes, in fact, we do have a little one on the way.   I don’t know whether it will be female or male, but it doesn’t matter.  So long as he has 10 fingers and 10 toes, that’s all that matters.   Xavier and I are ebullient and live couldn’t be better living life for the moment and savoring each second that we have together.  
(We’re shown a fast forward clip show of Annie’s life up to the point where she is enjoying a backyard feast with her family and friends, as well as the dogs.   ‘Celebrate’ plays in the background followed by ‘Conga’ as well as other well-known party songs.   Bloopers are shown and credits given to those who made ‘Parentheses’ a reality.   I remind my viewers it’s ok to be pushed beyond our comfort zones every so often and these periods of time or motivators make us better people in the long run.  The Universe manifests these people into our lives to help us along the way in our transition.  Who knows, we may be the ones sent into their existence to help them transform into their greatest version too ?  We are all just reflections, one of the other, bumping along the way trying to make sense of it all.  It’s fun knowing we don’t have all the answers and we don’t need to.  Love is the only constant in the equation.)    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers