Savage Queen



Synopsis:   Zane and Imani, two blissful parents have just brought their baby daughter Adama into the world.   Unfortunately, a pyromaniac burns their village to the ground including himself with it.   Adama is left to die of exposure until the animals collaborate to raise her as one of their own.   Adama learns everything from them, including how to communicate properly and even how to be civil.   Her civility is tested when poachers come and murder one of her beloved family members, an elephant that has lived in the Serengeti for years.   Even though they are later prosecuted and brought to justice, she doesn’t trust human beings any longer, despite the fact that safari goers are the only ones that come through her homeland any longer.  This soon changes when Luke, his anthropologist sister, Maggie and his friend Emmet come into her life, turning it on its ear ! 

~*~CAST~*~
Zane:
Imani:
Adama:
Poacher #1:
Poacher #2:
Poacher #3:
Poacher #4:
Poacher #5:
Poacher #6:
Poacher #7:
Lioness:
Lion:
Hippo:
Stork:
Sable Bull:
Impala:
Wildebeest:
Hornbill:
Crane:
Flamingo:
Giraffe:
Zebra:
Aardvark:
Porcupine:
Spider:
Hyena:
Jackal:
Antelope:
Vulture:
Crow:
Spoonbill:
Crocodile:
Rhino: 
Elephant: 
Cheetah:
Serval:
Fennec Fox:
Crowned Crane:
Egret: 
Baboon:
Monkey:
Gorilla: 
Bee Eater
Aardwolf: 
Meerkat: 
Mongoose: 
Buffalo:
Bushbaby:
Leopard:
Okapi:
Ostrich:
Pangolin:
Warthog: 
Klipspringer:
Nyala:
Otter:
Porcupine:
Topi:
Sunbird:
Kingfisher:
Loon:
Luke Grayson:
Magdalene ‘Maggie’ Grayson:
Tiberius Grayson: (Luke’s dad)
Chelsey Grayson: (Luke’s mom)
Delphine Grayson: (Luke’s grandma) 
Alexander ‘Al’ Grayson: (his grandfather)
Emmet Greer:
Louisa Greer: (his mom)
Harold ‘Harry’ Greer: (his dad)
Audiene Greer: (his grandmother)

Scene 1—The End is the Beginning
(A couple with a baby a few days old is seen running from a village set ablaze and burning hotter by the minute.)  
Zane:  Imani, don’t stop running !  We can’t give up now ! 
Imani:  Zane, I’m running as fast as my legs will carry me.   Neither of us foresaw what that maniac would do to our village.  
Zane:  He’s laughing while burning himself alive.   The fool. 
Imani:  We have no place to judge him. That’s up to God.
Zane:  You’re right my love.   Come now, we must continue running.
(They almost run out of breath.  The entire village is burned and there is nowhere for our parents to run to.  The pyromaniac is already dead and gone, laughing until the very end until he was consumed by the inferno.) 
Imani:  (getting overklempt)  What are we going to do about Adama ?
Zane:  (holding her close)  The only thing we can do.  Have faith that God will see to her in this wild and savage land. 
Imani:  (crying as she turns to place Adama in a clearing that is untouched by the blaze) 
Zane:  Hush your tears now, my diamond.   We’ll be with the Lord soon. 
(Adama starts to cry and wail.)
Crowned Crane:  What’s all this racket ?
Egret:  It’s  a human child. 
Giraffe:  What is it doing here in this forsaken place ?   
Jackal:  I think we should rip her into ribbons ! 
Hyena:  You moron !  There’s barely enough meat on her for all of us.  
Lion:  Enough !
Lioness:   Listen to my husband.  He has a point. 
Zebra:  What can you two possibly see in this mewling infant ? 
Cheetah:  I see it too.   She’s not like other humans. 
Hippo:  How can you be sure, Cheetah ?
Cheetah:  (looking at Lion, Lioness and the other animals who feel she is ‘different’ and ‘unique’)   It’s something I can’t put my paw on. 
Serval:  I agree.   I think we should raise her as one of our own.  (picks her up by the scruff of the neck and flings her onto her back) 
(Adama coos and giggles) 
Serval:  See, she likes me ! 
Hornbill:  Fine.  We teach her, we educate her in our ways.   The inevitable will occur someday. 
Sunbird:   Why do you have to be such a downer, Hornbill ?   You aren’t psychic.  Adama will determine her own fate.  
Spoonbill:  And how is it, Sunbird that you know the child’s name ? 
Sunbird:  (twittering gaily)  She seems the queenly type.   It suits her.  Besides if you were listening to her cries earlier, she clearly identified herself.   One must be aware of the whole scenario, right ? 
Spoonbill:  Always so apt at your perception.  
Adama:  (narrating)  And from that moment on, the animals and I had become the dearest and best of friends.  I learned how to make clothing, how to hunt, how to speak and how to keep myself hidden from threats.   Even the carnivores became my closest allies.  
(We see Adama grow into a comely young woman, intimidating with a spear.  Poachers come through the village. We hear her singing ‘Wilderness’ as this goes on.) 
Scene 2—A Difficult Lesson
(Poachers start killing animals for their pelts and other goods without compunction.  Adama is irate, so much that her vitriol roils within her.) 
Adama:  We have to stop them !  They’re killing our family !  They must pay for what they’ve done, the murderers !  (grabbing her spear)
Gorilla:  (holding her back)  No, Adama.  This isn’t the way. 
Porcupine:  If you impale them you’re lowering yourself to their level.  
Spider:  They’ll get their just desserts, just you wait. 
Adama: Spider, that’s a hard teaching.  I want (grasping spear so hard it nearly gives her splinters)  vengeance.  
Aardvark:  Vengeance does nothing.  
Adama:  I didn’t understand my family’s lesson at the time but the poachers were soon prosecuted for taking my brother elephant’s ivory as well as some gorilla brain and bird feathers.   They took some pelts for good measure while they were at it.   I never thought the hurt or pain would subside but elder elephant and my family assuaged me and let me know my resolve was the proper action.  I was far more civil than they would ever be.  
(There is a funeral held for the dead animals.  A rather somber moment.  Everyone lends each other solace, and life goes on in the Serengeti.)
(Sun set, scene fade.) 
Scene 3—Another Safari Passing Through Perhaps ?
Adama:  (narrating)  Another lovely day.  The hustle and bustle of activity coming from my pride awakened me as mom’s cubs jostled me up for wrestling and playing.  
Impala:  What is that strange vehicle ?
Stork:  It’s not a jeep.  I doubt it’s another safari, Impala. 
Crane:   Even if it was, I know flamingo would be showing off his good side.
Flamingo:  (awakening)  Is there  a safari in the Serengeti ?  Step back, I’m about to shine , every-birdie ! 
(The birds twitter, shaking their heads)
Bee Eater:  What a diva !   
Okapi:  It looks expensive, whatever that automobile is. 
Adama:  Poachers ?   How long has it been since the last seven were here ?
Zebra:  About a decade, my darling.   There are no more poaches here though. 
Leopard:  Zebra’s right.   The government keeps them out. 
Adama:  Humans are cunning though.   Could they have found a way around the protection laws and regulations provide ?
Crow:  Adama, dear.  (lands on her shoulder and cuddles against her)  Fret not ! You are filled with too many things you have no control over.  
Pangolin: They’re getting out of the car ! 
Topi:  Scatter ! 
(The antelope, klipspringer and other fleet-hooved animals flee.  Adama stays put, keeping a low profile.) 
Adama:  This is too bizarre.  I have never seen anything so unusual in all my years. 
Luke:  We’re finally here, sister mine  !   I can’t wait to start work on my project.  Maybe people will start to take Luke Greyson seriously !
Maggie:  (chuckling)  They probably would if he didn’t refer to himself in third person peculiar.  
Emmet:  You’re both here for a lofty purpose, Maggie.  Luke to help conserve the animals, Maggie to document primates and ensure their habitat is protected.  I’m here as (drolly)  a red hat, a caddy and door man.  Not only that but I feel like I should be asking, ‘Is there anything else, m’lord’ ?
Maggie:  Oh, Emmet.  You sound like you’re so put upon !   You came upon your own volition, not because we dragged you here.  
Emmet:  (smirks)  I know.  I just love to milk a situation sometimes.  
Luke/Maggie:  We know !  
Adama:  All that strange equipment.   So fascinating.  
Warthog:  Be careful, Adama. 
Meerkat:   Yes !  After all, your intuition could be right about these mysterious humans.  
Adama:  (Sneaking up on Luke and his group.  Maggie is off studying primates while Luke snaps photos of all the animals there.  He is taken off guard by Adama and how imposing she is, especially with her spear in hand)
Luke: (nearly screams)  Good God, woman.  You nearly scared the life out of me.  
Adama:  (chagrinned)  I didn’t mean to frighten you, human.
Luke:  (smiles)  I’m Luke Grayson.  The man carrying my equipment’s my best friend, Emmet Greer. 
Emmet:  Fancy this, a woman.  Not many of you in these parts. 
Luke:  I’ll say.   And you’re so eloquent.  I wonder.  Can you read ?
Adama:  I am not sure, but maybe if you could show me I can try. 
Luke:  Oh, good !   I’ll go fetch a book.   What is your name by the way ? (he is taken by her beauty, smitten, even if he doesn’t appear to be so initially) 
Adama:  (she is also very enchanted and entranced by Luke)  Adama.  The animals gave me that name.  They said it suited my demeanor and attributes. 
Luke:  (poetically)  A tigress by any other name, I’d wager.  
(He finds a book and hands it to her.  She looks at it with delight and fascination, reading aloud.  The book is ‘Tarzan’, appropriately enough.) 
Luke:  Who taught you to read, Adama ?
Adama:  Why, the birds did.  They see more than the other tertiary kinds here.  They can travel a further distance.  
Luke:  Fancy that !   (laughs in amazement)  You never cease to astound me. 
(They start to walk and talk together.  ‘What Can I Learn’ is heard and they find themselves starting to fall more for each other.)
Scene 4—Enchanted by Africa’s Beauty
Adama:  London seems so wildly different from here.   So, there are no animals.  None at all ?
Luke: (laughing)  We have birds in the city and the occasional stray dog or cat.  There is a zoo, but I doubt you would approve of it. 
Adama:  A ‘zoo’ ?  
Luke:  It’s a place where animals are cared for.  People can come and learn about them.  A lot of animal lovers enjoy zoos but don’t agree animals should be kept behind glass.   They’re not totally captive.  They do have room to roam. 
Adama:  (crinkles her nose in disgust)   It’s still horrible, though.
Luke:  I suppose you’re right.  I never really thought of it that way.  Animals should be free, but it’s just easier for them to be sought after in a place that’s protected.  
Adama:  (nodding)  True, barbaric though it is.   Better than the threat of poachers.   At least they are well taken care of.  
Luke:  Do you ever think of leaving Africa ?
Adama:  (quizzically raises an eyebrow)  Sometimes, yes.  I wonder what’s outside of the Serengeti. 
Luke:  (boldly but gently takes her hand)  I could show you.  That is, if you wanted to go. 
Adama:  Leaving my family behind ?
Luke:  Technically, they’ll still be with you.  (puts hand over his heart) In here.  (points to his third eye)  And here. 
Adama:  (squeezes his hand in return)  I’m a little fearful.   That’s so unlike me. 
Luke:  (stroking her hand tenderly)   That’s not abnormal though.   It’s a typical response to something outside your norm !   (draws her close, she begins to calm, acting more natural)
Adama:  I’m not scared with you.  I feel I can face anything.  
Luke:  And you can.   I think it would be good for both of us to exit our comfort zones.   (she takes his hands into hers and inches closer to him until they finally kiss)
Egret:  What is this ?  An attack !   Leave my daughter alone ! 
Luke:  Ahhh, get your sentinel off me !  He’s going to beak my eyes out !
Adama:  Egret !  Shame on you !   He isn’t hurting me ! 
Okapi:  What if he had though ?  We were all watching.
Crocodile:  (by the river, not too far away, a reasonable distance to start a good running takedown and attack)  If he tries anything, just shove ‘im over here into the river.  I’ll snap his pretty little neck…
Adama:  Crocodile !  How vile of you.  (shakes head) 
(They are all in a bit of a ruckus, irate that this man is suggesting he take her away from them.) 
Adama:  Silence !   Look, he’s not going to take me away forever.  I will come back.  
Bee eater:  How long have you know this human ? 
Adama:  A few hours.  
Luke:  (speechless, fascinated) 
Mongoose:  Long enough for you to make this decision ? 
Adama:  Yes.  In love there is no wrong answer.   I’m following my heart. 
Luke:  What did you tell them ? 
Adama:  (interlaces her fingers with his)  That I’m following the path of my heart.   (narrating)  Even though it was my impulse within me leading me, I knew it was the prompting of my heart.   The animals and I had and understanding that I was no longer a little girl but a woman.   I trusted their judgement and they knew my intuition wasn’t wrong.    From that moment onward, I left the only home I had ever known and went to London.  I learned what it was to work and I found myself adept at speaking to others in their native tongue.   I worked as a translator and social worker, helping those less fortunate and getting them back on their feet.   Eventually I did visit my home and got married there.   The animals weren’t shocked, but Luke was.  He never thought I would want to leave something so familiar to do something entirely new, and different.   It was right, though.   Through my life, helping others become better versions of themselves was my calling, but I also assisted my animal friends through Luke’s vision.   Someday, there would be more conservatoires, larger free-range areas and fewer zoos.   Until then, my friends could run free as they always had.   There was the occasional trophy hunter that got through, but they didn’t come close to where my family was.   I saw them reproduce and grow, telling me how humans were evolving.   It gave me a sense of calm, wonder and hope, knowing that we had much to offer, much room to improve and a chance to create a brilliant future.   It was all in our capable hands, and honestly, I intended to continue educating whomever I could about that.   All I knew was that my children and my children’s children would see the animals I had come to know and love, and who knows, maybe, they, like me, would have as deep a bond with them as I had.  
(We see and hear Luke sing his proposal ‘Promise’ to Adama, watch as they get married in the Serengeti, and continue their legacy of love, laughter, learning, music, hope, faith and friendship wherever they travel.)
(Roll credits, an instrumental version of ‘He Lives In You’ plays as the photos show Adama and Luke, their family and their different worlds, yet reveal how similar they are through the equalizer known as love.   We soon see two children on Adama’s hips, looking happy, provided for, adored and taught all of life’s lessons as they grow.  Emmet plays with them as a godfather, and Maggie is their aunt.)  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers