The Peacock's Lesson



Synopsis:   Prashant Kapoor is known as a peacock (and his family happens to keep them on their estate as pets) by his peers; a praise rather than an insult.   His friends often put him down for his lack of girlfriend until Pretti comes into his life. 

~*~CAST~*~
Prashant Kapoor: (our hero)
Neejara Kapoor: (dad)
Dharma Kapoor: (mom)
Victoria Kapoor: (courtesy aunt)   
Nelly Vargas: (the maid)
Matthias Jeeves: (the butler)
Amir Patel: (one of Prashant’s best friends)
Bharat Rohan: (another of Prashant’s best friends) 
Sunil ‘Sunny’ Chopra:  (another of Prashant’s best friends)
Pretti Virk: (love interest, heroine)
Sita Virk: (mom) 
Zahid Virk: (dad) 
Anjali ‘Angel’ Luthra: (a ‘mean girl’, has crush on Prashant)
Jazwinder ‘Jazz’ Sachdeva:  (another mean girl, ‘’) 
Kiri Johar:  (another mean girl, ‘’ )
Simran Devdas:  (Pretti’s new friend) 

Scene 1—Blessed from the Get Go
Dharma:  (reading to a group of children, absorbing every word she says with transfixed eyes and fascination.  Neejara stands not far off, smiling at her affectionately.)   The bold, beautiful and majestic peacock gives beauty to this sometimes cruel world not because it can but because it feels compelled to.   It wants to remind us all of the beauty living inside each of us.   We all have the ability to light the darkened way through small acts.   Mr. Peacock helps us remember to step forward and let our colors shine.  Don’t be afraid, love from your very soul.   It will come back to you in ways you never expected. 
(The children and adults applaud, and some are even so moved as to wipe errant tears from their eyes.  They’re dismissed, offered refreshments from the maid and butler and politely shown the exit where they leave, looking as if they’ve just had a mountaintop experience.) 
Prashant:  (chuckling) Ah, mamaji.  Part Beatrix Potter, Part JK Rowling and Khalil Gibran.   Her latest children’s book won her yet another Pulitzer Prize and she also earned the Nobel in youth literature, poetry and illustration.   She was even knighted by the Queen herself.   She took all such things modestly and said none of them compared to marrying dad or the advent of my birth.   The book she read today was initially written for me but everyone absolutely loves it, especially its target audience. 
Neejara:  Dharma, that was magnificent.   They adore you !  It’s not difficult to see why.  (hugs her from the side and kisses her cheek tenderly)  It was what drew me to you that fated night when we met.  
Dharma:  Not while there are still guests around.   You know how remembering that night makes me feel. 
Neejara:  (all the more adamantly)  I know, and I waited for our marriage until I could have you like a gentleman should.   (laughing softly)  We’re together and alone now…The rabble has departed and we can retreat to our love nest in peace. 
Prashant:  (snorts lightly, narrating)  Every time we have a benefit my parents bill and coo like wild turtledoves.   Thank Krishna we have peacocks or I’d be kept awake by their constant exclamations of passion.   Not that it’s a bad thing but deep in my own heart I cannot help but experience slight jealousy.   Not only that but University was a constant reminder that even at my tender age of 21, I still had not managed to find myself a suitable girlfriend even though I was known as ‘Mr. Peacock’ on campus.   
(Scene fade after Dharma and Neejara have retreated to their ‘den of love’ and poor Prashant is left gazing up at the stars, playing his sax to the timeless classic ‘Breathless’.  Scene shift from that to University life.   Prashant is surrounded by his friends, still picking on him for his lack of girlfriend, and yet he is followed by babes everywhere he goes.) 
Scene 2—Pritti Woman  
Amir:  Prash, you sly, dashing dog you.
Prashant:  Hey, Amir  !  What’s up, buddy ? 
(They high five with gusto and exhuberance)  
Bharat:  Mr. Peacock !   The man of the hour !   (fist bumps him) 
Prashant:  My man, Bharat !  
Sunny:  Dude, I can’t believe how many babes follow you when you get here.  Is it the allure of your tenor sax, like the snake charmers of old ?   Man, I don’t know, but I want your secret !  
Prashant:  Sunny, there is no secret.   They happen to like me, so what ?  
All three others:  So  what ?  
Amir:  Can you hear yourself, man ?   I would KILL to have a harem like yours.  Those ladies, oh my Ganesh.   I get a twinge just thinking about it.  
Bharat:  (splashes him with cold water from his own water bottle)  Calm down, Amir.  No one wants to see your elephant doing tricks this early in the day.  
Amir:  (slightly embarrassed)  Sorry, he can’t help himself sometimes.  
Sunny:  Some of the chaps around campus are talking though about you being…you know, (whispers) gay. 
Prashant:  (almost way too loudly)  WHAT ?! 
Bharat:  We’re just simple messengers, carrying a rumor. 
Amir:  That’s all !  
Sunny:  We know it’s false though.  Lies !  (spits)  
Prashant:  Good.  I’m happy you believe in me as well as my manhood. 
Amir:  We never questioned it.  
(There are some mean girls picking on Pretti, who is a new girl in the University.  Prashant sees it and becomes embroiled.)  
Angel:  Who do you think you are, wearing clothes like that ?  I don’t care if your mother is  a high end fashionista.  You’re not even wearing it right !  
Jazz:  You wouldn’t know fashion if it landed in your lap, Pretti !  (laughs derisively)  Such a joke.  Where are you from anyway, you hick ! 
Kiri:  Backwoods redneck !  
Prashant:  Leave her alone.   I personally think her fashion sense is perfect.   Don’t you have a class to attend ?  Wouldn’t want to mar your perfect record.  
(The ladies leave, perfectly smitten, talking in reverent whispers that their ‘peacock’ actually acknowledged them.) 
Prashant:  They didn’t hurt you did they ?
Pritti:  No, not at all.   Just mocked me.
Prashant: (gives her a handkerchief)   Here.  Dry your eyes.  They’re gone now. 
Pritti:  Thank you.   I’m Pritti by the way.
Prashant:  Prashant.  
Pritti:  I’ve heard about you.  Everyone calls you Mr. Peacock. 
Prashant:  (laughing)  It’s because my family owns them and my mother’s recent children’s book features one to teach kids morals, ethics and values.   (rustles around in his lunch bag)  Hey, this will help you feel better.  One of my homemade sweets. 
Pritti: Oh, Prashant, no !  I couldn’t.  
Prashant:  It’s fine !   I want you to have it, Pritti, here !  Open your mouth. 
(She does, blushing lightly) 
Pritti:  Ah !  
Prashant:  (feeds her)  Well ?
Pritti:  (gasping)  This is ambrosial.  You’re quite the baker. 
Prashant:  Makes all your cares just melt away.  Glad you like it.  (looks at his watch) Oh, shoot  !   Gotta get to class, can’t be late, you know ? 
(As Prashant leaves, Pritti sings ‘Sweet Mr. Peacock’ and a dream sequence ensues of her as a peahen and Prashant as a peacock.  They share a very darling but hidden kiss behind her wing.  A young girl wakes her out of her reverie.) 
Simran:  Pritti !  Hey, wake up !   I’ve got a seat right here.  Quick before the bell rings !
Pritti:  Thanks, miss.  You saved my bacon. 
Simran:  Oh, just call me Simi, everyone else does.   We misfits gotta stick together, right ?
Pritti:  (grins, sticking out her hand for Simi to shake it)  Right !   I can’t thank you enough though.   I don’t know what came over me.  
Simi:  (dreamily)  Prashant overcame you with his devilishly good looks, charm, charisma, je ne sais quois and general magnitude.   He is (sigh) a force of nature.   Everyone loves him, yet no one can claim him.   I hear no one can match him in badminton either. 
Pritti:  (gaining confidence)  Oh, we’ll see about that.  Badminton happens to be the very game I’m an expert at.   I’ve won numerous trophies. 
Simi:  Intriguing.   You should sign up for the club.  I’ll show you where the sheets are after class is over.   You might just impress him yet.  I wish you luck ! 
Pritti:  Luck ?  I have skill on my side, Simi.   I’ll win my sweet peacock over, just you wait.  
(Scene fade)   
Scene 3—Just a Little Badminton
(After class the next day, Pritti shows up to Badminton Club but the only other signee is Prashant.)
Prashant:  (laughs heartily)  Oh, this is rich !   I thought there would be more than just two of us.
Pritti:  Less distraction, and more room for us to play.  
Prashant:   Game on then, Pritti !  
(The next sequence is very much akin to the badminton scene in Om Shanti Om, but none can seem to outmatch the other or even score a goal.  Prashant, in his mind, sings ‘Indellably Matched’ and begins to become smitten with our heroine.) 
Prashant: (setting aside his racket for a moment, dabs his forehead with a towel and takes a sip of cold water from a sports bottle)   Unreal.   How did you learn to play like that ? 
Pritti:  Years of practice and all of them undefeated.  
Prashant:   I can see that.   Water ? 
Pritti:  Oh, yes please.  Thank you.  You’re so thoughtful !  (she drinks a little from it and then blushes somewhat, realizing it was an indirect kiss, but he doesn’t notice her blushing.  She hands back the bottle, graciously)  Thank you ever so kindly.   
Prashant:  I should be thanking you, honey !   That match was the best I have had in years.  (shakes her hand)  
Pritti:  I concur.   (sweet, coy smile)  I heard it through the grapevine you were celebrating your 22nd birthday this weekend.  
Prashant:  Did Simi tell you that ?   Or did my friends give you that information ?
(They laugh, enjoying the sublimity of each other’s company off the court after having put away their rackets.  They walk off court, side by side, smiling magnanimously.) 
Pritti:  One does hear things around campus.   Is it RSVP or VIP attendees only ?
Prashant:  (nearly guffaws)  Anyone can attend, no gifts necessary.  
Pritti:  (titters)  Yet if hypothetically someone wanted to get you something, what would you want ?  
Prashant:   (smiles and pats her hand gently)  Nothing really, honestly.   Playing badminton has been the best present I have received in a good long while.   
Pritti:   (holding his hand with both of hers, clasped around them)  I’m glad.   I want to get you something though, out of the depths of admiration I have for you. 
Prashant:  Thanks.   I’ll be holding the party later tonight.   I hope to see you there, sweetie. 
Pritti:   I’ll be there with bells on !  
(Scene shift)  
Scene 4—A Gift Worthy of Royalty
(While in the jewelry store, Pritti buys a sterling silver necklace that she thinks is perfect for Prashant and checks herself in the mirror before going to the party.   Along the way, the mean girls start hitting her with their bikes and manage to mangle her bike so badly that she has to walk all the way to the party.  The necklace though, is completely intact.)  
Jazz:  Oh well, looks like poor little Pritti is going to miss the festivities.  
Angel:   Doubtless he’ll want anything from something that looked like it crawled up from a  sty ! 
Kiri:  (oinking as they pass her by) 
Pritti:  (trying not to cry in front of them)  At least Prashant’s necklace isn’t damaged.  A little dirt never hurt anyone.  (dusts herself off)  I don’t care what those girls say.  I know he likes me for my heart, and the feeling is mutual.  
(She sings ‘Heaven Sent’ and a montage is shown of her past dealings with the mean girls and her friends.  Prashant companions have also stood up for her and helped her stand up for herself.  Prashant has always been there to shelter Pritti.  She continues late into the night to the estate when everyone has left, that is, except Simi, who was there patiently waiting for her.) 
Simi:  What took you !  Why are you all covered in mud ?
Pritti:  The twisted sisters got to me.   They banged up my bike pretty good. 
Simi:  (grimaces)  I see that.   Prashant’s taking a bath but I’m sure he’d still want to see you.    I’ll leave you two to it, then.  (winks)  Go get ‘em, doll. 
Pritti: (hugging her)  Oh, sorry ! 
Simi:  A little dirt adds character !  (pats her on the back, chortling all the way)  Later, sugar !
(Prashant can be heard singing the infamous song Simran sings from DDLJ.) 
Pritti: (ringing the doorbell) 
Victoria:  (opening the door)  Have you come to see Prashant ? 
Pritti:  Yes I have.  I’m sorry I’m so late but as you can see…well…
Victoria:  I heard the discussion.  I have ears like a fennec fox.  (winks)  I’m sorry those horrid girls did that to you.   Tell you what, Pritti.  Just leave your bike here and we’ll fix it up, good as new !  
Pritti:  (surprised)  I really appreciate that.  You really are sweet.  (pause)  Wait a minute…You know me ? 
Victoria:  (directing her inside very politely and warmly)  There isn’t anyone in this estate who doesn’t know who you are.   That’s all Prashant goes on about.  Day in day out, it’s ‘Pritti this’, ‘Pritti that’.   He seems to have quite the fancy for you.  (wiping her off, cleaning her face)  There, much better.   I’ll go get Prashant.   Make yourself at home.   (while she’s ascending the spiral staircase)  Do you need anything while I’m away ?  I’ll get it for you when I come back ! 
Pritti:  You needn’t worry about me, madam.  I’ll be just fine right here.  
Prashant:  (coming down in his nightclothes, he still looks regal)  Pritti, why are you covered in mud ? 
Pritti:  Evading the demonic trio.  I stood up to them again and they didn’t much care for it. 
Prashant:  I’m proud of you, but those girls are the worst.  I’m sorry to see what they did to you.  Are you alright ? 
Pritti:  My bike and I are banged up pretty good, but Victoria and the others said they’d fix it.  I can’t believe they’re up this late working on it. 
Prashant:  (chortling)  Leave it to Vicky, Nelly and Matthias to burn the midnight oil for a good cause.  (spies Pritti’s gift)  What is that ? 
Pritti: (slightly chagrined) I know you told me not to get you anything but we’re friends and it’s your birthday so I thought, why not ?
Prashant:  (coming down to fetch it from her)  It’s perfect, just like the giver. 
Pritti:  (blushing)  Thanks.
Prashant:  (smiling gently)  You’re welcome.   Come on, I’ve got something I want to show you !  
Pritti: (following him)  Where are we going ?
Prashant:  Someplace only myself, Vicky, Matt and Nell know of ! 
(A very jazzy romantic version of ‘L-O-V-E’ plays in the background.) 
Prashant:  This is my sanctuary. 
Pritti:  I can see why.  The peacocks seem to enjoy it too. 
Prashant:  (nodding)  It’s serene, and now even more sublime that you’re here.  (pats the bench next to him for her to sit close to him, he holds her hand gently and caresses it)  I’m so glad you stood up to those awful devils.  When I first met you, you were nothing like that.
Pritti:  (blushing, hiding her face)  I suppose I just needed a little push.  You make me brave.
Prashant:  You were brave all along.  (pats her hand, looks at her arm, gasps lightly)  Those terrible, abysmal wenches.   They really made you bruise your arm…(kisses it slowly and gently) 
Pritti: (tittering)  That tickles.  
Prashant:  That means the healing balm is working. (kisses one last time for good measure.   (leans close to her)  I was wondering, do your parents know anything about me ?
Pritti:  Yes.  In fact, you’re the topic at our dinner table discussions most every day.  They really like you.   Why do you ask ?  
Prashant:   (slyly) No reason.  (cuddling close) 
Pritti:  You’re going to ruin your pajamas, hon ! 
Prashant:  I don’t mind.   Just being with you makes this a red letter day.  
Pritti:  (rests her head on his heart and looks up into his eyes, gets closer and kisses him, deeply) 
Prashant:  (jovial giggle, soft moan, runs his fingers through her hair)
Pritti:  (breaks the kiss)  Mmmm…I’d love to stay but it’s late.  Mom and dad will be worried. 
(Prashant can hear his parents starting to go at it again.)
Pritti:  What on earth is that ? 
Prashant:  Mom and dad (making quoting fingers) enjoying each other’s company, if you get my meaning.
Pritti:  (blushing darkly) Oh, dear.  Best go while the going is good, right ?
Prashant: (laughs) 
(The peacocks start their mournful song and Prashant sighs, knowing their songs will keep him asleep while his parents make love into the wee hours of the morning.)
Pritti:  My parents are no different.  They’re probably back and forth like a ping pong match right now.  
Prashant:  (catches her by her hand and pulls her close, draws her near and lays a huge smooch on her that leaves her breathless)  Something to give you blissful dreams, my sweet.   Goodnight love.
Pritti:  Goodnight  !
(Dances away while an instrumental of ‘Moondance’ plays in the background.  They both dance back to their own home, and Victoria delivers Pritti’s bicycle back to her.  Scene fade.) 

Scene 5—An Evening to Remember
(On the screen ‘A year later’ appears.) 
Prashant: (narrating)  I knew that Pritti was the one for me that first badminton match that we had.  I instantly fell for her, and I knew she had for me as well.   I had already prepared a wedding ring suitable for my princess and wanted to leave my college experience behind with a bash of epic proportions.   That evening, I would make my announcement as to whom I was going to marry.  Pritti would have no idea, but she had won my heart and I wanted to be part of her life and all the subsequent ones afterward. 
(At the party, ‘Ain’t No Mountain High Enough’ plays in the background and everyone is shaking a leg, having a blast.) 
Amir:  This is really quite the shindig, Prash !   You went all out !
Prashant:  If we are really going out into the big, bad world, might as well do it with style. 
Bharat:  Spoken like a true peacock.  (laughs) 
Sunny:   It couldn’t be a better party, man !  
(Everyone’s shaking a tail feather to ‘Chak de India’.   Pritti is on the scene, moving better than anyone else in the group.) 
Simi:  Woo, girl, you’ve got moves !   Get down on it ! 
Pritti:  (chuckling)  I can’t help it, the music moves me.  
Kiri:  If it isn’t little Ms. Backwoods !   What’s this ? Some hand me down ?
Pritti:  No, Kiri.  It’s handmade.  My mother crafted this herself. 
Jazz:  (tearing at it, viciously)  The stitches don’t even hold up ! 
Pritti:  (grabbing it back, Jazz falls into the fountain along with the other mean girls) 
Angel:  You bitch !  How dare you !  Our dresses are RUINED.  
Simi:  Serves you three right.  
(They help them out of the fountain despite their wretchedness.  The girls run away, crying.) 
Kiri:  Whatever, we didn’t want to be part of this lame party anyway.  
Prashant:  (Grabbing the microphone)  As you all know, the reason I had this shindig was because of our last hurrah here at the University, but actually it’s more than that.   This song I’m dedicating to the one woman in my life I want to make my wife.  Of course, that is, if she agrees to it.   Pritti Virk, if you would please come forward, take my hand.  Dance with me !  
Pritti:  (astonished)  Prashant, you did this for me ?
Prashant: Yes, actually I did.   Will you marry me ?  (kneels down and presents a ring to her, an infinity ring surrounded by blue sapphires) 
Pritti:  Yes !  (leans forward and kisses him)  Of course I will.  I love you !
Prashant:  (getting slightly teary eyed)  As do I, my darling. 
(‘Lady in Red’ plays after he slips the ring on her finger and the spotlight is on none other than them.   He later sings a song he wrote just for her.) 
Pritti:  I can’t believe you wrote a song for me.  (wipes a tear from her eye)  You’re so romantic and thoughtful.  
Prashant:  (kisses her nose)  You are my inspiration.  You’re my little peahen.  (tickles her playfully)   Something tells me that when we marry, we’re going to be worse than our peacocks.  
(This time Prashant blushes in spite of himself, even though he’s laughing heartily, the scene fades away to them dancing to another romantic song, Gerua, from Diwale.)
Scene  6—Happily Ever After
(Pritti is in a stunning purple and turquoise sari while Prashant is wearing traditional white, riding a white Arabian horse to his own wedding.   Pritti is being carried by palanquin, her best friend, Simi, is right there by her side, eyes full of jovial, festive tears.) 
Simi:  You’re finally getting to marry your prince !  Lucky lady. 
Pritti:  (grinning brilliantly)  I know, I keep having to pinch myself to make certain it’s actually happening !  (she laughs) 
Simi:  You look positively radiant, too.   What will you be doing for your honeymoon ? (raised eyebrow) 
Pritti:  We’re heading to Tierra del Fuego.  It will be paradise there, but of course we’ll return to India afterward.   I’m going to be in charge of mom’ s fashion business someday, just like Prash will be a publisher and jazz musician on the side.  He wears many hats.  We want to help others around us, too.  Give them better lives. 
Simi:  You two are very golden hearted individuals.  
(Prashant sings to Pritti again, ‘Entwined Forever’ before the traditional ceremony is begun.  They circle the fire three times and are pronounced man and wife.   Eagerly, Prashant and Pritti have their first kiss as newlyweds and the celebrating begins in earnest.) 
Sita:  This is lovely, and my daughter is the very work of royalty.   She looks so austere and glorious !  
Zahid:  Just like you did and still do, my sweet turtledove.  (pulls her close to him to hug her from the side) 
Sita:  Here come Prashant’s parents !  Let’s go greet them. 
Neejara:  Hello Sita, Zahid ! 
Sita/Zahid:  Namaste. 
Zahid:  This truly is a splendid setting. 
Dharma:  We couldn’t be happier with everything that has happened.   Prashant is ecstatic.  His mood is sublime more often than not. 
Sita/Zahid:  It was meant to be then.  (they look at each other and practically break down laughing) 
Sita:  We know each other so well we answer in unison ! 
Dharma:  (nodding)  We know what you mean.   Well, we shouldn’t stand here just jabbering.   There’s plenty to eat, and drink.  
Neejara:  Let’s celebrate !  
(The famous wedding dance from ‘Dil to Pagal Hai’ is recreated here and we have a ‘picture frame’ scene of Prashant and Pritti here, nose to nose, looking as if they are in complete bliss.   ‘Fairy tales do come true to those who truly believe in the insurmountable power of love’, is the final quote on the screen followed by ‘The End’ in cursive font.  Credits roll.  Thanks to those who believed in me enough to make this sumptuous treat a reality and prove that these things can and do happen in real life.   As Hans Christen Andersen once wrote, ‘Our lives are fairy tales, written by the finger of God.’  He couldn’t have been more right or accurate.   Bloopers can be seen for the true fans, the ardent ones who stick around for funsies near the end of a film.  Thanks are given to everyone responsible and also appreciation is shown for the amount of work hours achieved to make everything come together.   To everyone, kudos, thank you, l’chaim, mazel tov, blessings, good vibrations, etc.   I love you all !)  
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers