The Dove and the Crow



Synopsis:  Ling Bok, a peaceful Tai Chi master and teacher, beloved of all who meet him is confronted by an angry young woman, Mai Fong who trusts no one due to her sordid past.  It appears she has a painful secret that is slowly destroying her.  Through his patience and unconditional love, he unveils her dark past and love starts to take root.  

~*~CAST~*~
Ling Bok:
Jemma Bok: (his mom)
Lee Bok: (his dad)
Bai Bok: (his grandma)
Wei Bok: (his grandpa) 
Mai Fong/Bok:
Tai Fong:  (her mother)
Chen Fong:  (her grandmother) 
Zan Fong: 
Piper Bok:  (daughter to be) 
Counselor Tiffany Dallas: 
Mean Girl Deborah Fine: 
Minion Girl Stephanie Banks: 
Lina Greene:  (trans student)

          ‘Stop living someone else’s life.   Start by living your own.’—Aryan to Gaurav, Fan 
‘Give me some sunshine, give me some rain, give me another chance, I wanna grow up once again.’—Lyrics to ‘Give me Some Sunshine’ from 3 Idiots

Scene 1—The Hidden Shame
Mai:  (sweetly, in a bubbly manner, waving)  Bye mom, grandma !  
Tai:  Why don’t you say goodbye to your dad’s photo on the windowsill. 
Mai:  (annoyed, getting ruffled)  Why do I have to say goodbye to him every time I leave ?   Mom, he’s gone.   You remember, the coward killed himself. 
Chen:  Mai, have respect for the dead !    Death comes to us all, and it might come for you sooner if you don’t show some homage to it !  
Mai:  (growls, gritted teeth)  Fine.   Goodbye, dad.  
Chen:  Have a splendid day, Mai.  
Mai:  (comes to kiss her grandma and then her mom before leaving)  I will. 
(narrating)  Mom and grandma never knew that before dad committed suicide he tried forcing me to have sex with him.  I always trusted my dad but when I turned 18, something switched over in my dad’s mind.  He became lustful.  He turned into a monster I didn’t recognize.  He told me never to tell anyone or he’d have me killed.   He felt so much remorse that he left home and shot himself.   I honestly, regretfully was glad he blew his brains out.  I never wanted to see him after that and was happy he was dead.  If I ever told my mother or grandmother the truth about Zan, they’d probably never want me in their family again.  The shame hangs about me like an ornament.  I feel eyes ogling me, judging me, thinking ‘there’s that filthy child’, ‘that loose girl’.   I’ve never even been with a man.  I don’t trust a guy to get close enough to me, let alone talk to me.  All I have within me is rage and the desire to punch a hole through any wall I see if anyone even mentions I’m a lesbian.  No one…No one understands me.  
(Later at lunch) 
Debbie:  Lookie here, if it isn’t Mai the lesbian !  (laughs)  Tell me, have you ever even had a date ?  I’d understand if you couldn’t pick up a date unless it was already in a box, prewrapped and prepared.  
Stephanie:  Burn.  
Mai:  Shut up, Debbie.  (lying)  I’ve had dates.  You just don’t know about them.
Debbie:  Oh yeah, when ?  Everyone knows you like James Kirkland.   Bitch please.  The guy’s the most popular douchebag in school.  It’s not like he’s gonna notice your flat chest from anywhere.   He’s got more of a chance with this rack.  Know what I’m sayin’ ? 
Mai:  You’re stepping on very thin ice, girl. 
Stephanie:  (whispering)  I think you’ve provoked her enough, she’s pretty peeved.  
Debbie:  Steph, I don’t care.  Does it look like I give a flying frack ?   No.  Besides, tormenting Mai the loser is way too much fun.  And way too easy.  
Stephanie:  Tell ya what, I think you’d have a better chance of getting Lina the Trans to date you.  Who knows what she’s into. 
Lina: (rolls eyes)  Don’t listen to her, Mai.  She’s just trying to ruffle your feathers.  Just breathe. 
Debbie:  Ain’t that cute.   She actually likes you.  Heh, you two would make a perfect power couple.  Adorbs !  Hold up, hold up, I need to take a snapchat of this ! 
Mai:  (slams hands down on the table and storms up to Debbie)  I told you once, you little bitch.  I am not a lesbian.  Lina is my friend.  She has been since grade school.  Leave her out of this.   Don’t make me break your face in.
Debbie:  You don’t have the spine.  
Mai:  Keep tempting me, we’ll see who has a spine when I’m done. 
Steph:  (getting nervous)  I think you should listen to her. 
Debbie:  I didn’t ask you to be my friend so you could think, Stephanie.  I’m the brain, you’re the mascot.  You’re just here to help me look even better than I already do.
Mai:  (unleashes rage, pinning her to the ground)
(A major fight breaks out and Stephanie runs from it, saving her own hide.  The principal breaks them up and sends Mai to the counsellor.) 
Tiffany:  Mai, I don’t understand what led up to this but I’ve come to the conclusion to have you sent to Tai Chi class.  There is an instructor there that will help you with your anger management. 
Mai:  What about Debbie ? She’s the jerk who started the whole thing. 
Tiffany:  True, and this isn’t her first fight.  She’s being expelled and kept at home while her parents discipline her.  
Mai:  (snidely, satisfied)  She got what was coming to her. 
Tiffany:  (reprovingly)  We never wish wrong on others, even though we think they might deserve it.  Mai, I know you have a good, big heart, full of gold.  I’m thinking Ling will help you defeat whatever is at the core of causing your anger. 
Mai:  (reluctantly)  I’ll do it.  (meekly)  I’m touched you believe in me. 
Tiffany:  Many people do.   Just remember, Ling likes punctuality.  After school, he’ll be holding Tai Chi class in the gym.   6:00 pm, sharp. 
Mai:  (nodding)  Understood.   (gently) Oh, and thank you for this opportunity.  Sorry I was kind of a jerk earlier.   I didn’t mean anything by it. 
Tiffany:  I know you didn’t.   This is a difficult age, but don’t worry, it gets better.   I should know. I was just like you growing up.  (winks) 
Mai:  (smiles in spite of herself and leaves the counsellor’s office)
(Scene fade)

Scene 2—Dancing Before Class
(Ling is dancing to ‘Ohm Shanti’ as sung by Madonna.  None of the other students are at the class yet, Mai sees him and is caught off guard to see someone in traditional dress dancing so well and fluidly.) 
Mai: Impressive. 
Ling:  (huge smile)  Oh, you think so ?  You must be Mai.  Mrs. Dallas informed me you’d be coming.   You’re very early.  I, honestly, am more impressed with you than you with my dancing ability.
Mai: (laughs)  Still though, you’ve got moves, Ling. 
Ling:  I like to dance in my spare time.  It’s freeing.  I feel it expresses my soul. 
So what brings you here to my class ?
Mai:  You should know, Ling. 
Ling: (chuckles)  I only know so much, my student.   (reaches out to shake her hand)  I should’ve given you a proper greeting. 
Mai: (tries not to giggle)  Why so formal ?
Ling:  My parents taught me to treat everyone with respect.   Is that so wrong ?
Mai:  No, but it’s hard wrapping my head around a teacher who is not much older than myself. 
Ling: (hard, accusing look, but teasingly)  What ?  You think I can’t teach you because of my youthful countenance ?   Reverse ageism ! 
Mai:  (rolls eyes)  We’ll see how good of a teacher you are. 
Ling:  (sensing a challenge, becomes more robust and confident)  Oh, ho.   You will definitely learn a few things from me, grasshopper. 
Mai:  (tries not to burst out laughing) 
Ling:  Try to follow my moves.  
Mai:  Psshht.  Child’s play.  
Ling: (seeing she’s not really moving fluidly yet)  No, no, no.   More gentle, like water.  
Mai:  Who are you now, Bruce Lee ? 
Ling:  (shakes head)  Just try again, Mai.  Slower.  (he tries to show her how but she accidentally hits him hard against the nose)  
Mai:  (moving away quickly, with a jerk)  I-I…don’t like being touched.
Ling:  Do you want to talk about that ?
Mai:  (tears stinging her eyes a little) I-I’m not sure. 
Ling:  It’s alright if you don’t.  I’ll understand.   I’ll show you the movement again.  Just follow me, ok ? 
Mai: (nodding)  Alright. 
(They move a bit more fluidly, and before she knows it he is directing her to be even more limber.  She doesn’t even realize he is guiding her gently with his hands.) 
Mai: (blushing hotly) 
Ling:  (bashfully) I’m sorry, I don’t know what came over me. 
Mai:  (unable to look him in the eye)  I want to tell you something but I am afraid. 
Ling:  Don’t be.  I won’t judge.   No one else is here, it’s just us.  
Mai:  I think I might…like you quite a bit.  My feelings might be a bit more than like. 
Ling:  (gently)  When you walked through those doors, I had to discipline myself not to come to you and whisk you off your feet into my arms.  That would’ve been unprofessional of me. 
Mai:   I’ve…been hiding something for years.  My dad…(starts to break down and cry)
Ling:   It’s ok !  Come, sit.  (takes a Kleenex and gives it to her, they sit, she dabs her eyes and blows her nose)
Mai:  My dad tried to rape me when I was 18 but I fought him off.  He was ashamed after that so much so that he took his own life.   I never really trusted me after that.  I thought they were all scum, after my body and never anything else. 
Ling:  How awful.  I’m not like other men, though.  I see your heart.  It’s the first thing that caught my eye, other than the aura you have.  You have so much green, borders of blue, hints of indigo, and a little purple.   I even saw a little gold, if you can believe it.  Gold is the highest of principals.  It’s rare, but now I know why you have it. 
Mai:  I’ve never told anyone.  Not even my mother.  My mom and grand mom, they’d never understand.  It’s been burdening me all these years.  (snivels)
Ling:  (sensitively puts a hand on her shoulder) I think it’d be time to tell them.  You can’t just keep this grudge locked up in your heart. 
Mai:  I know, but it’s hard.  
Ling:  Give yourself time.  I think we should practice some more.  Look, more students are coming !   I think you’ll find kindred souls among them. 
Mai:  (narrating)  When he put his hand on my shoulder, I felt a jolt inside my heart like nothing I had never felt before.   Love shook me to the core and wouldn’t let me go.  The tears wouldn’t stop momentarily but with one smile from my teacher, they dried.   As soon as I began class with the other students, the anger I held, the resentment, it began to fade.   I knew that in time, as Ling had said, that I had to let this grudge go.   
(scene shift) 

Scene 3—Still Too Tense
Mai: (narrating) School had been a bit unnerving for me recently, so Ling taught me how to meditate in the form of song. 
Ling:  Oh, it’s so easy.  Just let go, clear your mind of any distractions. 
Mai:  Yeah, that may be simple for you, Mr. Homeschool, but not for me.  My mind’s a million places at once. 
Ling:  Just follow my lead.  (They both sit, lotus style and he points out what he wants her to do, and sings ‘Meditate’ to her)
Mai:  (narrating)  Everything began to wash away.  All the fear, regret, anger, the knots and tension.   Nothing else mattered.  I had peace in the matrix of my being at long last. 
(She sings ‘Like a Chime’)
Ling:  You look completely refreshed.  
Mai:  You’re an excellent teacher, Ling. 
Ling:  I have a quick study for a student.   I know it’s a bit untoward but I want to take you out to dinner sometime. 
Mai:  (gasps)  I didn’t think instructors could date students. 
Ling:  (jesting with her)  Why not ?  We’re the same age.  Besides, it’s my place, I’m cooking !  
Mai:  Well, this is a change.  Now I’m intrigued. 
Ling:  (beams)  I make a cuisine that’ll send you to heaven.  Whatever you like.  Just let me know what you want and I’ll pre-prepare. 
Mai:  I haven’t had Japanese food in a long time. 
Ling:  It just so happens I am not far from an Asian market. 
Mai:  How convenient.   When do you want me to show up ?
Ling:   It’s the weekend, how about noon ?  We’ll just be spontaneous for once. 

Mai:  Excellent.   I’ll look forward to seeing you, then.  
(Scene change)
Scene 4—Ling’s Cuisine
(Mai follows Ling’s directions to his house.  His mom, dad, grandpa and grandpa are away for the time being.) 
Ling:  We have the house all to ourselves.  Isn’t that splendid ?
Mai:  It’s perfect.  (inhales)  It smells heavenly. 
Ling:  Glad you like it so far.  I took a lot of effort, but it was more than worth it.  Come on, sit, sit !   (directs her to the table and seats her)
Mai:  How polite !   I feel so pampered. 
Ling:  (wriggles eyebrows) You ain’t seen nothin’ yet, Mai.  
(Serves her)
Mai:  (nearly drooling)  Goodness, this is almost too stunning to eat !  The smell is ambrosial, celestial even !  
Ling:  (sits down right next to her and places his hand atop hers.  For the first time she doesn’t jerk away.  She actually squeezes his hand back)  I hope this is to your liking.  
Mai: (blowing off her food)  I haven’t even had a chance to try it yet, you silly !
(she does, and nearly melts)  Are you a gourmet cook ?  This is better than House of Tokyo ! 
Ling: (a bit shyly)  Heh, I guess being so fascinated with cooking at a young age led me to become a master in the kitchen.  Mom was more than happy to teach me.   I love creating things for others and watching the fruits of my labor being savored. 
Mai:  So, in a way, you’re also a bit of an alchemist. 
Ling:  (lightbulb moment)  Yes, I guess so.   Looks like the student is superseding the teacher.
Mai:  (Blushes)  Only because he’s such a grand instructor.  
Ling:  I’d like to take you around my neighborhood, to the park.  That is if you want to. 
Mai:  I love parks, nature, and all that sort of thing.
Ling:  We’re not too different, really !  
Mai:   (narrating)   Ling was absolutely right.   Never in my life had I ever felt so full and comfortable.   My heart was lighter than a feather around him.  Laughter came easily, and I never thought it possible.   He had taught me to open up and forget the past.   Through him, I learned not all men were like my dad, and eventually I came to forgive my dad’s wrongdoing.   Before I knew it, I was falling in love more and more.   Sadly, college separated us for a while, but I never lost sight of my one true goal; to become more than Ling’s friend, but his partner forever. 
(Scene shift) 
Scene 5—Always Transitioning
(We see a sort of clip show of Mai’s life and how she is transforming.  Eventually she graduates and begins working.  She and Ling get their own places and are moving up in the realm of adulthood.  She even sees him after work since she always has free time to do so.) 
Mai:  Hey, Ling !  How are you doing ?  How are classes going ?
Ling:  Superbly as usual.   I opened a reiki/reflexology massage building not far from here and it’s going great guns.   I see that your work keeps you busy too.
Mai:  (laughs)  Yeah, physical therapy really keeps me in shape.  I don’t even need to go to the gym !  
Ling:  I’m thinking of getting my own place though.  I’ve been saving up and I finally have enough for my own home.  
Mai:  (pats his hand)  That’s tremendous !   Things are really looking up for you.
Ling:  (takes his hands in hers)  I was wondering, though, if you would want to come along with me. 
Mai:  (raised eyebrow)  Are you asking me to marry you ? 
Ling: (snaps finger) Rats !  Foiled again !   I can’t keep anything from you !
Mai:  I can read you like an open book, Ling Bok !   (she kisses him, deeply and passionately)  Does that kiss answer your inquiry ?
Ling:  (drunken for a moment)  Heavens, yes.  Your kiss, though, is better than the finest wines and sweetest chocolates.
Mai: (laughing)  Your poetry never ceases to sway and stir my heart, darling.
Ling:  So, that is a yes then ?  (fishes ring out of his pocket.  It’s her birthstone, pearl, with two diamonds accenting it.) 
Mai:  (tears gathering up in her lacrimal glands)  Of course it is, darling. 
Ling:  (triumphantly)  YES !   

(Flash forward to a little Piper listening to her parent’s ‘how I met’ story culminated.) 
Mai:  That’s how you came to be, Piper. 
Piper:  Whatever happened to that bully though ?  You never mentioned her ever again. 
Ling:  We see her at McDonalds every so often.  
Piper:  That’s so sad.   She didn’t learn from her past experience, did she ? 
Mai:  Unfortunately, she was too set in her old ways.   She kept bullying other people, and eventually, it caught up to her.  Others didn’t want to deal with her cruelty.  
Piper:  Why are some people like that ? 
Ling:  (shrugs)  No one really knows, but it’s likely she chose to be that way because it suited her best.  It gave her the illusion of power. 
Mai:  I still think she can change.  Maybe someday she’ll learn.
Ling:  That’s what I love about your mother, Piper.  She sees the best in people no matter what they’ve done.  
(He hugs her from the side and kisses her deeply.)
Piper:  I choose to be like both of you, too.   Who knows, maybe your encounters with her might give her incentive. 
Ling:  (pats Piper’s head)  From the mouths of babes.   (he chuckles) 
Mai: (narrating)  Even if I didn’t influence Debbie in our meetings, at least I planted the seed with a simple smile.   Piper does that with everyone she meets, knowing that a gesture of kindness, even that tiny, can grow in ways we can never fully comprehend.   Every day, I learn more from her and more about myself, as does my beloved, Ling.   We are all doves and crows, carrying the light and the dark within us.   The only thing is, we can choose which of the elements we will bear and share and I can see that Piper has chosen well and will continue choosing well.  
(A montage is shown of Mai’s wedding to Ling and they dance to ‘Mummer’s Dance’ and we see Piper growing up before their eyes into a remarkable young lady.   Behind the scenes clips are shown, as well as bloopers.   Gratitude given to God above, and those who inspired me, especially the works of Khalil Gibran.) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers