DJ Cupid Finds Love



Synopsis:  Cole Shumaker lives to entertain and make everyone else happy until he meets a wallflower from his past named Allegra Love.  He plays songs from their prom when he stepped in for her supposed boyfriend, Darian James, whom she found out was cheating on her that fateful night.   Oddly enough, Allegra lives to make others joyous and give them light during dark times by coordinating parties and planning weddings when all she wants is her own.  

~*~CAST~*~
Cole Shumaker: 
Harold Shumaker: (Cole’s dad)
Anais Shumaker: (Cole’s mom) 
Ennis Shumaker: (Cole’s grandpa)
Gino Santino (DJ Screwball, Cole’s best friend):
Allegra Diane Love:
Isabella Love: (Allegra’s mom)
Clark Love: (Allegra’s dad) 
Jillian Yvette: (Allegra’s best friend)
Thomas Yvette: (Jillian’s husband)
Doug Yvette: (eldest son)
Perry Yvette: (youngest son)
Darien James: (Allegra’s former love interest)
Brittney Spade/James: (Darien’s new love interest)
Gaggles of party people ! 

‘No principal can override the heart.’—Anjali’s mom, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai


Scene 1—Man of the Hour
Gino:  (over the microphone, playing 8 Mile for Cole’s entrance)  Ladies and Gentleman, it’s my man, the main man, my best friend…(drawn out and dramatic)  DJ Cupid ! 
(The crowd goes absolutely wild) 
Cole: (narrating)  Ever since I was young, I adored music and I had a natural talent for creating it and stirring up a celebratory atmosphere wherever I was.   I made DJing my career.  Not many people can say they get paid for what they adore doing, but I do.   Many would say I’m awfully fortunate, but there’s a massive hole in my heart.  A void that eats me alive.  Most of the time I keep the darkness at bay by jockeying for parties like this one.  
Gino:  (whispers) 
Cole:  Got it.   (sighs)  Ah, Careless Whisper.  Countless anthem for thousands of couples in love.   I remember it like it was yesterday.   It was prom and I had gone stag with my broski, Gino.  
(Flashback) 
Gino:  Cole !  Woah, dude !  Rocking the threads, I see. 
Cole:  Yeah, and you don’t look half bad yourself.
Gino/Cole:  We’re a couple of dapper Dans ! 
(They laugh) 
Cole:  Dad let me borrow his Trans Am.  Isn’t it sweet ?
Gino:  Dang, man.   This is one awesome ride.   Totally bitchin ! 
Cole:  Just two tigers out on the prowl. 
Gino:  Watch out ladies  ! 
(They play ‘Calling Doctor Love’ on the radio whilst they roll into prom.  Everyone else is jealous.  Cole’s object of affection is waiting for her date to show up as the party begins to warm up.  She’s wearing a red dress and looking positively stunning.)
Gino:  Hey, isn’t that…
Cole:  Allegra Love.  (blissful, peaceful sigh, dreamily, and airily)  Isn’t she a vision ?  
(The DJ begins the night with a slow song, ‘Lady in Red’, and she has no one to dance with.) 
Gino:  Oh, dude…Not cool !  Did Darien actually stand her up ?  That no good, no account, spineless amoeba ! 
Cole:  I’d call him a troglodyte but I’ll leave my snide remarks aside.  This is low, even for Darien.  
Allegra: (trying to keep herself from crying)  Come to give me a pity dance ?
Cole: (quickly getting out a handkerchief, drying her eyes) No.  This isn’t out of pity.   I can’t believe Darien didn’t show. 
Allegra:  I should’ve known, though.  I had always had a feeling he was cheating on me with that…that tart, Brittney.  
Cole:  Tell you what.  Let’s just be each other’s dates for the night. 
Allegra:  (Almost crying out of happiness)  You’d do that for me ?
Cole:  Yes.  Of course I would.  Allegra, how long have we been friends ?
Allegra:  Since kindergarten.  I beat you almost everything. 
Cole:  Especially videogames.  
Allegra:  Precisely.  Who else will play with me if not you ?  Wait…that didn’t come out right.  
Cole:  (laughs)  Freudian slip.  Happens to us all.   
(Careless Whisper plays and they dance together, he actually puts his head on her shoulder, breathing in the moment) 
(Flash forward)
Cole: (narrating)  That magical night we didn’t share a kiss but we had fun on a night that never seemed to end.  It was heaven on earth.  After post prom at Kentucky Kingdom, Allegra allegedly vanished.  No matter what I did or what I tried, I couldn’t contact her.  Not even on MySpace, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram or Snapchat.   She had become a ghost…or so I thought.
Gino:  Is that who I think it is ?
Cole:  Yes !  It’s Allegra !  I need to go see her.  Dude, cover for me !
Gino:   I’ve got your back !  (plays ‘Baby I Want That’)  
Allegra:  Oh, hey.  Fancy meeting you here.  
Cole:  (smitten)  You haven’t changed at all.  
Allegra:  (bashfully)   Neither have you. 
Cole:  So, what are you doing after all this time ?
Allegra:  I plan parties, especially weddings. 
Cole:  Imagine that, what a coinkidink !   (he chortles) 
Allegra:  It’s a tremendous vocation.  I get to make people happy for a living.  What could be better ? 
Cole:  (reaches out and takes her hand)  Why did you just disappear after all those years ?  I looked all over for you and couldn’t find you. 
Allegra:  (squeezes his hand back gently)  I know, but…Things just got out of hand.   Life caught up with me.  I wasn’t really much into the social scene. 
Cole:  Whatever happened to that douchebag ? 
Allegra: (nearly guffaws) Oh, he got married.   Oddly enough I planned his wedding to Brittney.
Cole:  I’m so sorry to hear that…
Gino: (plays ‘You Were With Me All The While and lends a wink to Cole, mouthing, ‘Go on, take your chance, man !’)  
Allegra:  Oddly, I wasn’t.  I had moved on.  I figured oddly, that you would have too.  
Cole:  I couldn’t have.  I mean, we’ve always been friends, but I was hoping we could have a lifelong friendship.   (pulls her close)  Dance with me, that’s all I ask. 
Allegra:  (a little surprised)  I’ll always dance with you.  And this was our song, even back then.   (leans her head on his shoulder, savoring the moment) 
Cole:  Nothing has changed, has it ? 
Allegra:  No.  Not at all.  
Cole:  (grin)  I have to get back to work though.  My crowd needs me.
Allegra:  (smiling sweetly)  I understand, Cole.  
Cole:  (gives her a playful wink)   Hey, I’ll be around.  You know me.  
(After the party dissolves, Allegra hangs out in the gazebo, swinging idly, and he joins her) 
Allegra:  You really know how to drop beats.   Everyone was under your spell. 
Cole:  (cockily) It’s a gift.  Natural, God-given talent.
Allegra: (nudging him)  Someone’s awfully humble.  (they laugh)  Ha, oh this is just like old times ! 
Cole:  We always had so much fun.   Hey, I tell you what, why don’t we jam on over to the arcade ?
Allegra:  Seriously, Cole.   What are we, 18 ? 
Cole:  (nudging her capriciously)  No, but we were always big kids at heart. 
Allegra:  Fine, I’ll take you up on that offer and beat you down, son.   Get ready for a can of whoop-butt, freshly brewed !  
Cole:  (nose to nose with her) Bring it, Allegra.   Bring it downtown.  
Allegra:  It’s already brought !  
(Scene shift)  

Scene 2—Still Glorious After All These Years 
(They play a variety of arcade games and he actually wins her a huge stuffed teddy bear) 
Cole:  (laughing)  Don’t say I never gave you anything !   Ummph !  (hands it to her) 
Allegra:  This guy’s massive.   I think I’m going to call him Gigantor ! 
Cole:  (teasing) Ha ha, otaku ! 
Allegra:  Takes one to know one, weeaboo.  
Cole: (they grasp their sides from laughing so hard)  I haven’t laughed like that in years.   (catches his breath)
Allegra:  I know, it’s been too long.   (holding his hand tenderly, caressing it)  Thanks for showing me what it is to enjoy myself. 
Cole:  Hey, it’s what I do.  I’m DJ Cupid, remember ?   God of love, purveyor of jubilance, joviality and diversion.  
Allegra:  We’d better get back though.  It’s getting late.  
Cole: Oh right.   Work day tomorrow.   (he leads her to his car) 
Allegra:  Fancy ride…Gorgeous.
Cole:  (opening the door for her)  Not half as gorgeous as you are. 
Allegra:  Come on now.   Stop flattering me.
Cole:  (giggle)  I’m not flattering you.  The words I speak are truth. 
(‘Babe’ plays on the radio and he grasps her hands into his.) 
Cole:  I should’ve told you long ago how much you meant to me.
Allegra:  What matters is you’re telling me now.  The feeling is still mutual. 
Cole:  (stammers) I…I love you immensely.  With every fiber of my being.
Allegra:  I love you infinity to the power of infinity. 
Cole:  That’s profound.   (reservedly at first but he leans in closer to her)
Allegra: (lifts her chin and leans in closer and kisses him deeply) 
Cole:  (lost in the kiss for a moment) Mmmm….bliss.  
Allegra:  (laughing as they break the kiss)  I have to go.
Cole:  Ah, but must you ?  
Allegra:  Yes, sadly I must.   Goodnight, sweet prince.  
Cole:  Goodnight then.   I’ll see you again, won’t I ?
Allegra:  (playfully)  Dur, sure you will !   How about Saturday, 6:00 pm, sharp ?
Cole:  Fantastic.   I’ll choose the venue.   Movie sound good ?
Allegra:  (nodding)   Sure, pick whatever’s got a lot of action in it.  I’ll be fine with that. 
Cole:  What if I pick an animated children’s film ?
Allegra:  (playing with him)  I’ll never want to see you again !   (pause)  Just joking !   Whatever the film is, I don’t care.  Just so long as I get to spend time with you, Cole.  
Cole:  I know, dear.   I’ll see you around.  (Kisses him again before leaving)  To see you again, ah yes, I hold this joy in my heart. 
Allegra:  Nicely done haiku, honey.  
Cole:  Anything to make you smile, smiley face.  
(Scene fade)  
Scene 3—Why the Sudden Change ? 
(Allegra, singing ‘You Are the Sunshine Of My Life’)
Isabella:  You’re awfully chipper today ?  Any reason why, darlin’ ?
Allegra:  He’s back !  He’s finally back !  
Clark:  Who’s back, Ally, hon ?  
Allegra:  Cole, papa.  
Isabella:  That nice young fella that danced with you back at prom ?  Oh, I remember him !  Such a gentleman ! 
Clark:  Just a reminder chivalry isn’t dead in this world. 
Isabella:  Exactly, Clark, my doll !
Allegra:  Guess what !  I’ve actually started seeing him again. 
Clark:  (Surprised)  NO !  
Allegra:  Yes !   I was hosting someone’s 21st birthday, and he was there, dropping sick beats as per use.  
Isabella:  Ain’t that somethin’ ?   Imagine that !  
Allegra:  It seems too good to be true, like a dream.  Quick mama, papa, pinch me before I wake up. 
Clark:  You’re not dreamin’ sweetie.   Come ‘ere !  (They hug her)  We couldn’t be gladder for you.   Cole’s a real jewel.
Isabella:  Yep, he’s the cat’s meow.  
Allegra:  (almost beside herself)  After all these years, wishing on falling stars and now it’s all starting to come true.  
Clark:  Do his parents know about you yet ? 
Allegra:  (stammers a bit)  Uh…erm…That I’m not so sure of…yet. 
Isabella:  (pat on the shoulder)  Don’t fret.  You’re quite the catch.  I’m sure they’re gonna love ya.  
Allegra:  Yeah, but you guys gave birth to me and raised me.  
Clark:  Never stopped us before from believin’ in ya  !
(They sing ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ with her) 
Allegra:  (laugh)  Alright, alright.  Cut that out.   I’m going out later on tonight.  I know it’s going to be a movie night this weekend, but I want to look nice for Cole.   I kinda look too tomboyish. 
Isabella:  Changing it up every now and then isn’t such a bad call, really. 
Allegra:  I’ll give a holla to my girl, Jillian later.  Right now, (sings I’m Walking On Sunshine) 
Clark:  Heh, you go, mademoiselle !  
Isabella:  Backfield in motion ! 
Allegra:  (embarrassed) Mom.  Really ?   (Rolls eyes)  Heh, I can’t help it though.  It is what my mama gave me, might as well shake it, am I right ?
(Scene fade) 
Scene 4—Setting the Right Look
Jillian:   (coming to the door all stylish and sultry looking) Hey, Allegra !  I’m glad you set forth a date to gussy you up a bit.  
Allegra:   You were always into girly stuff like fashion.  It really wasn’t my forte.  
Jillian:  Muchacha, I’ve got your back.  No problema ! 
(Jillian takes her shopping and gets her the perfect look while ‘Vibeology’ plays in the background.  Allegra strikes a pose.) 
Jillian:  Ooh, yeah, honey, work it !   You’re lookin’ fine.   Cole’s gonna love your new look.  
Allegra:  It suits me.  It’s not too frilly or lacy.
Jillian:  And not to mention, it’s pretty darned sexy.  
Allegra: (blushing)  You really think so ? 
Jillian:  I know so.  Cosmopolitan never lies !   Now, go.  Go and enjoy your movie, sugar.  
Allegra:  (kissing her cheek repeatedly)  Thank you ! 
Jillian:  You’re welcome.  Now if you don’t mind, I have to go back home to some hungry mouths to feed. 
Allegra:  That reminds me, how are Tom, Doug and Perry ? 
Jillian:  Tom works hard, but today is his day off.  He, the boys and I are gonna be hanging around the waterpark later on today to cool off.  I’m slapping together a mean picnic.   You know, the whole shmeel ! 
Allegra:  To think no one thought you were ever going to get married ! 
Jillian:  I met Tom in college and it was a perfect fit.  He was a guidance counsellor, a few years older than me.  That didn’t matter though.  One look and it was love at first sight.  
Allegra:  I wish I could’ve been the one to plan your wedding.   I’m sorry time slipped by for us too…
Jillian: (hugging her)  That’s why we’re making up for it now, you lovable dork !   Maybe in time, I’ll be around to be your bridesmaid.  Who knows ?  You’ve got a handsome guy waiting for you though.  Don’t keep him in suspense !  
Allegra:  (kisses her full on the lips)  Thanks, I won’t. 
Jillian:  Later, sweetness.  
(Scene shift) 
(Cole and Allegra are laughing until their sides hurt at a movie they missed at a bargain cinema, ‘The Nice Guys’.  He never leaves holding her hand for a second.)
Cole:  Oh, this was worth the indecent concession prices alone ! 
Allegra: (kisses his cheek) That it was.   Now what ! 
Cole:  That, my dear, is a surprise.   (blindfolds her)  Do you trust me ?
Allegra:  (holding his hand tightly)  I always have. 
Cole:  (eagerly)  Excellent !  (leading her to his car)  I want to show you something.  
Allegra:  (raises an eyebrow)  Is that a CD you just put in your CD player ?
Cole:  (impressed)  Yes.  You’ve got sonar hearing, dear !  Just listen to the lyrics…
(Cole drives her to a gazebo he has set up by his lonesome to accommodate the mood.  He dances with her and reveals his surprise.)
Allegra:  It’s spellbinding.  So mesmerizing.  When did you find time to do this ? 
Cole:  Doll, I do parties for a living.  (wriggles fingers)  I’m a magician ! 
Allegra:  And that song, you wrote it for me, didn’t you ?
Cole:  As another one of our favorite ballads states, ‘You’re the meaning of my life, you’re the inspiration.’   There are thousands of songs I know are just for us but that one is paramount.  
Allegra:  (drawing him into her arms)  You’re so thoughtful.
Cole:  I brought you here for more than that though.   I know it’s been years and technically, it’s only our second date.  I didn’t want another nanosecond to pass so I could ask you…(kneels down, fiddles around in his pocket, fumbling around)  Give me a second ! 
Allegra:  (chortling)  Always the butterfingers.  
Cole:  Yep, that’s me, all over.   (fishes out the box, opens it, it’s a ruby heart locked on by a sapphire, side by side)  Allegra Diane Love, will you be my bride ?  
Allegra:  No way, seriously ?   You’re pulling my leg, right ?
Cole:  (joking around, actually pulling her leg)  No, this is pulling your leg, my dear !  
Allegra: Ok, ok, stop !  (helps him up to his feet)   I will marry you.  I’ll become the treble to your bass, the soul in your groove, the conductor to your symphony. 
Cole:  I get it, darling.   (Kisses her deeply)   (narrating)  And after that, even though we had been apart for years, everything came rushing in like a windfall.   It was rapid fire, but it was scintillating.  I met Allegra’s parents, and they met mine.   It was like they had known each other for years.  They had so many things in common.   We only had minor disagreements about sports teams but it made the evenings in front of the TV all the more lively.  
(Scene shift) 
Scene 5—Someone Else in Charge
(‘Everybody, Move Your Feet and Be United’ plays as Cole and Allegra boogie the night away.) 
Ennis:  Mind if I cut in, dearie ? 
Allegra:  I wouldn’t mind at all, Ennis.  
Isabella:   I get to dance with grandpa-in-law next.  
Harold:  Looks like you’ve become Mr. Popular, pop !
Ennis:  What can I say ?  I’ve got all the moves and I know how to break it on down like a pro.   Hit me !  Ugh ! 
Cole:  (tapping Ennis on the shoulder)  Erm, if you wouldn’t mind, I would like to dance with my wife, please. 
Allegra:  (laughs) 
Ennis:  I have plenty of pretty ladies to dance with.  (takes Isabella and dances the evening away with her)
Cole:  It’s so unusual, not DJing this event.  
Allegra:  Same for not planning this wedding myself.   Fawn, my professional planner did an astronomical job.  
Cole:  (winks at Gino, giving him the high sign)  I wouldn’t want this night any other way though.  It’s just you and I, kiddo, against the world.
(‘You Are So Beautiful’, plays and Cole begins narrating again.)
Cole:  (narrating)  A brave new beautiful, unpredictable world.   Neither of us knew where we were going or what we were going to do with ourselves, but we were stepping out in tandem, as one !   What an age to be living in ! As for our parents, our families met occasionally to either watch football, baseball, soccer, basketball or hockey together, or even to play out on the tennis court nearby.   Whatever we did, we appreciated immensely.   These were only the beginnings of the joys to come.   Certainly, yes, trials would come but they would be insignificant as compared to the triumphs we shared and the dreams we continued to manifest daily.  
(We see Cole and Allegra having the time of their life with their families and friends playing tennis in the nearby court while ‘Let’s Go Little Darling’ plays in the background, followed by a familiar cosmic nudge I receive from my mom every so often in the form of the song ‘We Are Family’.   Credits roll with the final shot of our hero and heroine sharing a cute smooch together on the court.   Bloopers follow as well as some looks behind the scenes.   This idea was brought about by what I know about love and what I am learning daily.  It is a conversation and it is all around us.  Some can resonate to its frequency better than others but it is a far better vibration to be attuned to in this plane than any other.   I plan to dance to that rhythm of light and love for the rest of my life !)  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers