Princess Assassin



Parental Advisory:  Some carnage and gore involved as well as violence, inference of drugs, weaponry, etc.  
 
Synopsis:  Suzuki Motoko is royalty but her parents have no idea she is leading a double life with some rather unseemly types, especially her Yakuza boyfriend, Honda.  

~*~CAST~*~
Suzuki Motoko:
Kurumi Motoko: (mom)
Michio Motoko: (dad)
Nobuyuki Tanaka: (butler)
Ryoko Tanaka: (maid, married to butler)
Koi Honda: (love interest)
Airi Honda: (mother)
Goro Honda: (father) 
Mikasa Kaku: (Suzuki’s friend)
Shinobu Kaku: (Mikasa’s husband)
Hibiki Kaku: (eldest daughter)
Natsu Kaku: (middle son) 
Moe Kaku: (youngest daughter)
Riku Shizuka:  (Honda’s rival)
Rina Shizuka: (his wife)
Ren Shizuka: (eldest son)
Ryuu Shizuka: (younger brother)

‘This is my world.  You are my world.’—Superman to Lois Lane, Batman vs. Superman

Scene 1—Not Your Average Fairy Tale
Suzuki:  (she is being preened and prepared for a summit, her parents watching expectantly, full of confidence and pride that their little princess has come up in the world and one day will be empress, narrating)  You often hear or read fairy tales of princesses in faraway worlds in gleaming castles.   Real life isn’t often like that.  My existence comes with many responsibilities.   The burden of an entire country rests upon my capable shoulders.   I have done everything my beloved parents have wished of me, followed the rules without compromise or flinching.   I have been the ultimate patriot to my darling Land of the Rising Sun.   However, there is something about me my parents aren’t aware of.   It is of my double life, lived in the shadows, and how inevitably, love cost me everything.   If I had a chance to do it again, I would.   I don’t think anything that happened could’ve been prevented.   Love is risky, but it is worth even one’s life.  
(She comes down from the summit, being surrounded by media asking question but she passes through them gracefully, smiling and waving.  Her parents are waiting for her.   Modern day Japanese songs play in the background.)
Michio:   Dear !  You did such a splendid job !   I’d hug you, but the paparazzi is still watching. 
Kurumi:  It’s so silly that we have to maintain decorum but, such is the way of the life of royalty.  
Suzy:  Don’t worry about it.  You know how much I love you both.  We’ll have plenty of time to enjoy our company after we’ve gone inside. 
(They make their way inside the house.  Michio uses a remote to close the blinders automatically.  Eventually the whirring and clicking of the cameras comes to a halt and there is silence.)
Kurumi:  Hear that ?  It’s nothing !   Ah, sweet silence.  
Michio:  (Turns on the CD player, and ‘Aye Aye’ by Pogo is playing on it)  Much better.   This music gives me great calm. 
Nobuyuki:  Sir, Madam ?  Would you like me to prepare dinner tonight with the help of my wife ?
Michio:  No need, Nobuyuki.   You needn’t work yourselves to the bone.  After all, you’re expecting your first baby any day now.
Ryoko:  (tittering)  Ah, she’s kicking !   You needn’t worry about me though, Madam. 
Kurumi:  Don’t fret.  Michio and I will be making dinner tonight. 
Suzy: I’ll be pouring the bath, so you two can eat with us and bathe with us tonight.
Ryoko:  (bowing profusely)  You’re all so magnanimous.   Thank you !
Nobu:  (bowing similarly)  Thank you so much.  Your hearts are more massive than Mt. Fuji ! 
Suzy:  (narrating)  And our servants were right.  The Motoko family was known for having big hearts, and we loved helping others around us.  We didn’t want our maid and butler to feel indentured though.  They were family, after all.   What they, nor my parents knew, however, was that I was working alongside the most ruthless Yakuza in the Shibuya prefecture.   He was the son Goro Honda but I adored him infitely.   I would do anything for Koi, but he likewise, would do anything for me.
(Scene shift to later on that evening at a fancy gathering the Hondas are having, celebrating their recent score in the realm of illicit activities.) 
Scene 2—Planning to Elope 
(The same classical music that plays at the benefit in Batman Vs. Superman is also played here.  The crème de la crème have come to revel in their recent abundance.  The guests begin to depart and Koi is surrounded by his father’s concubines.  Koi, however has no interest in them.  His only treasure is his beloved Princess.) 
Koi: (having made his getaway, he recuperates)  I came out here as soon as I could.  I brought bento for both of us.  Home made ! 
Suzy:  (nearly leaping on him to kiss him deeply)  Thank you.  You’re always so thoughtful.  
Koi:  I have someplace my father’s henchmen will never find us.   After all, they never know where I go at night.   They’re so inept ! 
Suzy:  Same can be said of our servants.  Poor mom and dad, so oblivious. 
Koi:  (reaches out his hand)  Come on.  I even brought a tiny music player. 
Suzy:  (laughs)  Heh, you think of everything, don’t you ? 
Koi:  I try to.  I want my princess to be happy. 
Suzy:  (chortling)  You’re too good to me.  I truly don’t deserve you. 
(They rush away to a secluded gazebo to eat their bento together.  ‘Sky Full of Stars’ plays as they do.  He takes her hand into her’s.) 
Koi:  I’ve been wanting to ask you a long time, darling.  
Suzy:   (feigns ignorance) Ask me what, sweetie ? 
Koi:  I think you already know.   (reaches into his pocket and pulls out a velveteen box, opens it)   Will you ? 
Suzy:  (tries not to make too much noise, for fear either her servants or Koi’s goons will hear them)  Yes !  You know I will, ‘til hell and back !  
Koi:  I know you’re wondering how.   I thought we’d elope. 
Suzy:  (kisses him, deeply, stroking his cheeks, relishing this moment with him) You’re such a romantic. 
Koi:  I have everything set in motion.   Come.  
(They make their way to a temple where a Buddhist priest sanctifies them, and they kiss in the night.   ‘The Iguana’ as played by Pink Martini plays as they thank the priest profusely, run off and spend their night at a love hotel.  ‘Go Ask Alice’ the instrumental version plays as they make love late into the night. Their shadows are shown, so this is artistically depicted in the most elegant and beautiful way possible.)

Scene 3—The Secret Begins to Unravel
Suzy:  (narrating)   What my parents and servants failed to realize that before I eloped with my Yakuza lover, I helped him assassinate enemies that had him in their crosshairs.   Sometimes alone, and sometimes together with him.   Tonight, under cover of darkness, was one of those nights. 
(We see Koi and Suzy sneaking in and slitting throats, poisoning people, choking them, and quickly all the possible/probable foes are defeated.  They make their exit out of the large building onto the roof, jumping across them and then landing in a nearby forest, undeterred and undetected.   ‘Short Skirt, Long Jacket’, the instrumental version plays as they finish their score.) 
Koi:  I don’t understand how you can move so swiftly like that.  It never fails to impress me. 
Suzy:  (catching her breath, recuperating quickly, she laughs)  Talent, I suppose.  Years of shinobi blood in our past. 
Koi:  (chuckling) I can believe it.   We’re unopposed.  At least for now.   Dad keeps telling me about another contingent in the area.   They’re trying to step in, take control of our territory.  
Suzy:   Who would ever be so bold ?    I was certain that the Honda syndicate was untouchable ! 
Koi:   (narrows eyes)  Just like a virus.  It spreads slowly, but we can kill it at its source.  It’s the Shizuka family.   One of my dad’s informants told me they’re looking to encroach on Honda capital.  The Hondas have been banking on counterfeit money for ages and it fools even the bankers.  Other counterfeiters have been trying to copy our style but can’t.   Same thing with the drug market, trafficking and black market arms.   We own everything, including the local PD.   All sources of income flow back to us !  
Suzy:  They haven’t been in the running long.  I hadn’t even heard of them until you told me. 
Koi:  You and I are going to settle a score. 
Suzy:  Do you think that wise ?   We only got married a few moments ago. 
Koi:  (gently)  Honey, when you came into the Life with me, you knew it was going to be gory, messy and difficult.   Yet, you come along with me anyway.
Suzy:  True.  I just have a bad feeling that I can’t keep this secret away from mom and dad, or my best friend Mikasa for too long.
Koi:  Why’s that ? 
Suzy: (Trying not to cry)  I took a pregnancy test.   A plus appeared !
Koi:  (happy, so happy he even becomes teary eyed)  That’s marvelous though, Suzuki !  I’ve always wanted a family with you.  
Suzy:   Not this kind of environment.   This little one will know nothing but violence…
Koi: (Puts his finger to her lips)  No.  It won’t always be that way.  Trust me.  We will deliver ourselves from devastation and death ourselves.  
Suzy:  I know you always have your ways, and I trust you.  (takes his hands and leans in, kissing him deeply) 
Koi:  (soaking it in, returning the favor)  As I do you.  We’ll come through the fire, and even if it burns us, we’ll emerge unscathed.   
Suzy: (Narrating)  We began to formulate a plan, Koi and I sensed that our double lives were starting to be exposed.    Despite the constant pressure we had on all sides, he and I began to dig up dirt on the Shizukas…

Scene 4—You’re Out Too Late…
(‘Just Another Day in Shibuya’ on the screen.  Mikasa is shopping with Suzuki and brings something glaringly obvious to her attention.  J-Pop is playing in the background from Nurse Witch Komugi R, keeping the attitude light, fluffy and adorable.) 
Mikasa:   Suzy Q, I’ve got a beef with you. 
Suzy:  (tries not to laugh)   That sounds super serious, Mikasa.  
Mikasa:  Don’t make fun of me !   The reason I came out here without my husband or kids around is because I wanted a free day with you.  Just us girls ! 
Suzy:  I’m glad you did.  I’m certain Shinobu and your children were fine with your plans. 
Mikasa:  (grinning ear to ear)  Oh, they were all supportive, especially my eldest, Hibiki.   She was the one that suggested the mall crawl. 
Suzy:  I can see she takes after you.  
Mikasa:   You know, it’s funny, though. 
Suzy:  (inquisitively)  What’s funny, dear Mikasa ? 
Mikasa:  (kind of skipping ahead of her to the nearest store) Moe asked me once wondering why you come home so late, or aren’t even home at all.  Are your royal duties keeping you from having any me time ?   Or is there a man involved ? 
Suzy:  (becoming slightly paranoid, inner dialogue) She knows !   (outwardly)  W-well you know all about my duties as regent, right ?   Mom and dad are trying to set me up with someone…
Mikasa:  Ooo, dish !  Is it Hanai Kubo ?   I’ve heard so many fantastic things about him.  Women from everywhere would do anything just to get a glimpse of those daring, dazzling baby blues of his.    I have heard other rumors too that he’s packing heat (nudges her suggestively)  if you know what I mean. 
Suzy:  (getting a little nauseous, goes to a trash can to vomit) 
Mikasa:  The joke wasn’t that bad ! 
Suzy:  Sorry, it wasn’t that.   Must’ve been something I ate.  
Mikasa:  No, that’s not like you.  You’re rarely get ill so quickly.   I think we should get you to the doctor. 
Suzy:  No, no.  Don’t worry about me, Mikasa.  (vomits again unexpectedly) 
(narrating)   Against my better wishes, Mikasa took me to the doctor and the questions came like a hail of bullets.   Mother and father were irate and I was put under house arrest.  My maid and butler stood guard over my door making absolutely certain that I wouldn’t escape but they didn’t know I could pick any number of locks and evade numerous security systems.   Even though ours was highly sophisticated, I had it cracked within seconds and had slipped away, wearing the typical black spandex and climbing gear to get to my darling Koi…
(scene shift from Suzy’s opulent mansion to the luxury of Koi’s.  From the situation, it seems that the Shizukas have gotten the upper hand on the Hondas and it’s about to become a knock-down, drag out blood bath of legendary proportions.)

Scene 5—Non Negociable 
(‘Dark Necessities’ plays as Suzy effortlessly climbs the immense mansion that Koi has and sees that he is already in a bit of a bind.   She sneaks in unannounced and releases a smoke bomb, cutting him free.  Now Koi, she and the rest of the Honda prefecture have turned the tides against the Shizukas !)
Koi:  (with a katana to Ren’s throat)  Not so tough now are we Ren ? 
Ren:  (spats)  If it wasn’t for your bitch girlfriend, you would all be dead by now !
Koi: (Hits him with the butt of his katana)  I’d still my vile tongue if I were you. 
(Riku whistles for backup and they all come running.  All of a sudden, Koi, his family and Suzy are subdued, but a huge fight starts.  Music from ‘Kill Bill’ plays in the background until none are left but Koi and Suzy, who have been shot and are dying.   They pull themselves out of the melee into the open field, under a blanket of stars.   He coughs, holding her hand, and laughs at the irony of it all.)
Koi:  Quite the paradox, isn’t it ?  Not long ago, I asked for your hand and you became my wife…
Suzy:  Koi, love, please, don’t speak…
Koi:  Neither one of us could’ve defeated them, even with our superior skills. 
Suzy:  Don’t worry.   At least now I know all three of us will be together and the cycle of violence will end… (narrating)  That night, under the glory of the full moon, everyone died.   I never saw Koi again, nor did he see me.   Hanai, the prince whom I was supposed to marry, took my place and married another woman who had ties to tradition and culture. Unlike me, she was the perfect princess, the princess Japan needed, wanted and deserved.    My parents mourned my death, as did my friends.  Life soon continued in its thrum as did everything else in its particular rhythm.   I couldn’t have been happier for Hanai and his princess.   My parents, however, returned to a normal life, but strangely, it had been something they had been wanting and their request had been answered most unusually.   We still had our servants, but they were given a reprieve to live their lives outside of the Motoko umbrella.   See, there they go, carefree, pretty as you please.  That’s their son, Genki.   The name really suits him.   Guy’s a live wire, much like Dee is over here.   Dee is content on the other side and we find our eternity here sensational.    We feel no sense of remorse or sadness, but I think haven given the opportunity to do everything once more, I would still choose Koi because he is my completion.    As I said before, love is risky, but it is often worth the price in the end.  
(As we see the funeral procession, we quickly transition to Koi, Dee and Suzy experiencing heaven in its fullness and glory.  Debussy’s ‘Claire De Lune’ plays as little Dee associates and plays with animals, even supposed carnivores.   Here there is no predator or prey, all are one.    Down back on Earth, we see the lull of life continuing as if no death ever took place.   Life continues its course and Suzuki’s parents live out their lives even though there is a visible pain of loss.  Reminders of Suzuki are everywhere in their new, lower key house in the countryside, where they are not hassled by paparazzi, reporters and the like.   The servants are having the time of their lives with their son in Tokyo on a beautiful summer day.  It seems that Golden Week celebrations have begun and Genki is trying to capture a goldfish in a paper thin wafer-spoon.   He’s able to do it and he takes his prize home, beaming boldly and proudly.   Mama and papa can’t help but make some boasts about this too, since capturing a goldfish at one of the booths is rare.   The End shows in the credits while everything fades away artfully, all the landmarks are shown, especially Fujiyama, disappearing into the background.   Roll credits.   Behind the scenes will be shown on the extended cut of the DVD as well as bloopers.   True credit goes to the one who introduced me to Japanese culture, Steve Zupan, as well as my love for Sensei Miyazaki-san.   Senpai, your work is still inspiring me to this day.  I pray my dream of meeting you is going to manifest and I can praise you in person !  I am not worthy of your greatness !)  
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers