What's Your Name, Man ?

I just had the privilege and honor to see Hamilton in Chicago at the CIBC theatre (once known as 'The Majestic').   From first blush, the theatre is ornate, exotically decorated with art nouveau designs such as flower patters in the domes that accentuate the acoustical quality the theatre possesses.   Everything is opulent but the seating is slightly cramped if you're not skinny like me (please no hate).   Nonetheless, the musical was everything I had hoped it to be.   It consisted of a diverse cast and show stoppers like 'My Shot', 'You'll Be Back' and 'History Has Its Eyes on You'.   Of course my favorite is 'My Shot', but I adore the entire musical, especially the entrance of the Schyler Sisters.  It is truly an epic musical showcasing what made America what it truly is and what it is becoming.  It's  a lesson to all of us that we're all important even if we feel like the silent majority.   I re-learned Eliza Hamilton's impact on history on opening the first orphanage, working on the frontlines during the Revolution and being quite the trailblazer in her day.   Of course, I always cry at the 10 Duel Commandments when Phillip loses his life.   It is heartbreaking, even though, yes I know it is a play, but it is based on actual events.   I cannot imagine what it is like to lose a child.   It still gives me pause to know there is no word in the English language that denotes what a parent that loses a child would be called and that in and of itself speaks volumes.   Highlights of the show were of course, the title character.   The lyricism of Angelica, Lafayette and Tom Jefferson were unreal.   To rap/lyricize in that way takes unbelievable control and command of the English language.   I relate to Hamilton because I myself and a poet and I hope I too can make a difference and History will remember me as a woman who did all she could to help those in need to become independent.    Seeing Hamilton in person is an incredible experience that we can all learn and be inspired from.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers