Two Sides of the Same Coin

Synopsis:   Twins born to the same mother are mistakenly split up and given to different parents.   Bob, the first boy, is affluent and uses his wealth to help people become independent.  He’s also a motivational speaker who uses his talents to help people discover their own strengths.   Bob develops a clean energy company which makes millions.   The other boy, Bruce, comes from meager means.   His mother left long ago to escape abuse from his father.   The CPS put him in another family but he leaves home knowing there is more to his heritage.  

~*~CAST~*~

Robert ‘Bob’ Keller:
Marie Keller: (wife)
Jean Keller: (daughter)
Naomi Keller: (younger sister)
Nancy Keller:
Thomas Keller:  
Angelica Keller: (elder sister)
Aaron Keller: (Tom’s dad)
Connie Keller: (Tom’s mom)
Bruce Eli Jennings/Nelson:
Wendy Jennings/Johnson:
Malcolm Jennings:
Benjamin Nelson:   
Patricia ‘Patty’ Nelson:  
Nurse Lana Blythe:  
Doctor Francis ‘Frank’ Lumiere:  



Scene 1--A Peculiar Beginning

Nancy:  (labor pains growing more frequent and worse)  Tom !   The contractions are getting closer together.   This baby wants to come into the world in the worst way…

Tom:  Nan, it’s going to be alright.   I’ve got you.   We’ll get through this.   

Angelica:   Am I going to have a little brother ?  

Tom:  Yes, and very soon, too, Angel-face.  

Angelica:   Finally, I’ll have a friend I can play with !  (She seems a bit too overly enthusiastic about this new prospect not really knowing the challenge infants can bring.)   

(Quickly in delivery, Tom gets a call from his parents.   While he is away, Nancy has complications in pregnancy and she is wheeled away to C Section.  The babies are born and the power goes out.    She gets one child back, never knowing she had a second.  The nurse can’t remember if she delivered a second child or not since the mood is one of disorder.   Another woman who just miscarried, unknowingly, gets a live baby back.)   

Wendy:  (tearfully)  Look, Malcom.  This little guy’s going to change everything.  I’m naming him Bruce after my dad.   

Malcolm:  (a bit reluctantly)  I suppose the little snot is cute.   (Baby Bruce grabs his finger and doesn’t let go)  

Wendy:  I think he likes you.   

(Cut to the other OR where our main family has been reunited.)

Angelica:   He’s so little !   

Tom:  Just like you were when you came into the world.

Nancy:  I had a C-section while you were talking to mom and dad.   It’ll take me a while to heal.   (shows off scar)  See this ?  Like a champ !   Like a flippin’ boss !

Angelica:  Woah, mom.  COOL !  

Lana:  (brightly)  Seems that your little one is in perfect condition.   What are you going to name him ?  

Tom:  I thought of Robert, after my dad.   

Nancy:  That’s perfect.   I just wish he were here to see it.   

Tom:  He’s with us in spirit.    

Bob: (narrating)  No one ever knew of the fateful separation to happen that day.   My mom didn’t even know she was carrying twins.   So much happened so quickly, but none of it really mattered.   I grew up in a loving home and savored the luxuries of life.  

(Scene transitions.  We see Robert growing up into a young man.  His sister marries into a rich family and has her own children.  He develops a clean energy company and becomes the subject of Forbes Business magazine.   He has a charity where he helps individuals better themselves.)   

Bob: (on a cell phone/split screen)  Hey, grandpa !   Fancy hearing from you !  

Aaron:  I know it’s been a while, but I just wanted to catch up on your charity work as well as your plasma battery factory.   

Bob:  Everything’s tremendous.   Jeannie and Naomi have really grown up since we all had our last family reunion.   Charity is really taking off, as well as Plasma Corp.   I never thought it’d revolutionize the energy world so much.   

Connie:  I heard Jeannie’s dating a nice young fellow named Donnie.  How is that working out ?  

Bob:  Actually, very well, gran.   Don’s a hard-working kid.  I like his gumption.  Kid’s got moxie for someone his age, and I like the cut of his jib.  

Nancy:  Hey, Bob !  It’s your mom !   

Bob:  I know the sound of your voice, mom.  It’s not like I’d forget.  (they have a laugh)  What are you doing over at gran and papaw’s ?  

Tom:  We were just enjoying some of gran’s chicken noodle casserole.  

Aaron:  You’re missing out, Bobbie boy !   

Bob:  I’m sure we’ll get in touch soon enough.  My shift is almost over and Suzanna will be taking over for me.   

Connie:  That Susan is a real peach.  Pity she’s going to have to be replaced as soon as she finishes Medical School.   

Bob:  Yeah, don’t remind me, gran.   I have plenty of options though.   

Tom:  Hey, why don’t you come down ?  We’ve saved some of grandma’s casserole for you.  

Bob:  (feigning disappointment)  Fine.  Twist my arm.    I’ll be there tonight.   

(Scene transition)  

Scene 2--Loner No More  

Bruce:  (narrating)  Just another day coming home from the factory.   I don’t really like being around other people, though.    Not since my youth.   You’d think the advent of my birth would change my father’s alcoholism and abuse.   He was very cruel to mom and me.   Mom moved out and I was left with dad, much to her dismay.   Fortunately, CPS transferred me to a different family.   At that time, my surname Jennings turned to Nelson.   One day I was using the computer at the library to search for my last name and found my mom had reverted to her maiden name.  She was living a happy life and I was about to get married.  She happily supported me, especially when she learned that my wife Patty was pregnant with Benji.   Things only became brighter from there.   Mom told me that it was possible I wasn’t even her baby and that the only child she had been able to have was stillborn.   I was completely speechless.   Mom and I stood, facing each other, the silence was deafening.    All I could do was hug her.  I didn’t care if she hadn’t bore me.   I was still her baby.   I didn’t fault her from running away from our dad.  I found a better family but I moved out as soon as I turned 18 to start a life of my own.    I have been working for a living ever since.   Yes, there are some days I wonder if I will have enough money to butter my toast but we manage.   Benji is going to school to become an actuary.   I am so proud of him.  He’s smarter than his old man will ever be.    As I walk through the city, I notice that there’s a corporation that’s popped up that I don’t remember.   I haven’t been reading the newspaper.   Patty and I had to stop delivery to pay off Benji’s college loans.   He’ll be able to pay them by himself the sooner he becomes licensed.   I’m just tickled that he’ll be able to make a better living than I ever did…

Bob:  (accidentally bumps into Bruce)  I am so sorry !   Oh, and I spilled this double shot of espresso on you.   (They walk to the other side of the busy street in front of Plasma Corp.  Bob invites Bruce in and cleans off his shirt which was already dusty from working at the factory.)  How embarrassing.   (looks him over) You look just like me.   (studies him)  

Bruce:   Could you...please not do that ?  It’s really unsettling.   (stops momentarily)  Wait a minute.   

Bob:  What is it ?   

Bruce:  Are you Robert Keller ?  

Bob:  Yes, the one and only.   

Bruce:  I knew you looked familiar.   I used to see you on talk shows and my sweet wife always said over dinner, hey, Bruce, come quick  !  Here’s a guy who looks exactly like you !    You know, a doppelganger !   So, I ran in and looked and my jaw nearly dropped.   We are the spitting image of each other.   

Bob:  It’s damned freaky if you ask me but incredible.   Would you like to meet my family sometime ?    

Bruce:   Yes.   Come to think of it, are you accepting any new employees ?   I’ve been thinking of finding new employment.   The factory pays well but sometimes it’s hard to make ends meet.  

Bob:  (hands him a spare card)  Might be considered nepotism but I’ll consider it.  Take a card, give me a call and we’ll see what I can do.

Bruce:  Bob, you are a saint.  I’d hug you but people are watching.   

Bob:  What’s the harm ?  Life’s too short.   

(We hear the main theme of the film ‘Like Looking in a Mirror’ played in the background. This will be used for the credits, but with vocals added.   Scene shift)  

Scene 3--Do I Know You ?

(some peaceful ‘traveling’ music plays in the background like ‘I’m Gonna Make This Place Your Home’)

Bruce:  (impressed)  Your parents have a really swank establishment here.   Very cush.   

Bob:  Thanks !   
(rings the doorbell.   It plays the beginning of Minute Waltz.)  

Bruce:  Ooo, fancy.   

Marie:   Welcome back my darling !   Who is this ?   He is the spitting image of you, Bob !   

(Nancy comes into see and nearly breaks down into tears)

Tom:  Nan, are you alright ?   

Nancy:  So much happened that day, Tom.   When mom called us, the lights went out.  I didn’t know whether I had given birth to another son or not, but now when I see you, it’s confirmation enough.    If I had given birth to another son, his name would’ve been Derrick, after my favorite uncle who has long since gone beyond.    

Bruce:  (trying not to cry as Nancy touches his face and then finally brings him into her arms)  So...I was right.   

Tom:  Oh, I have got to hear all this.   

Bruce:   (wiping Nancy’s tears)  Now I know for certain that Nancy’s my real mom.  I don’t remember much when I was born but I didn’t have a pleasant childhood to begin with.   I was taken out of my home before I was too psychologically damaged and placed with a family that loved and cared for me.   Although I adored my foster parents I had a feeling they weren’t my actual family.  For a while, I felt as if I were an orphan.   A rather illogical thought.   

Bob:  So, you really are my honest to goodness twin brother ?   Mom, why didn’t you ever tell me ?  

Nancy:  To be honest, I didn’t have a clue what was happening.  I only assumed I had one baby.  

Tom:  No one’s faulting you, my sweet.    

Nancy:  I’m just happy we’re back together again.    

Bruce:  Ironically, I hope I can work for Bob soon.   This has been very providential for me.   

Marie:  It has for all of us.   Come, sit.  I want to hear all about your life, what you do, whether you have kids or not.   

Bruce:  I’m happy to share.   (narrating)  And share, boy, I did.   It was like a gigantic weight had been lifted from my shoulders.   I came to know my entire family.   What happened to my foster mom I will never know since she was too hard to trace down, but I love her as well.   She got me this far and I spurred myself onward to this point.   Now I have more family than I know what to do with.   To be honest, I couldn’t be happier.   Things are only improving with time.  

(We see the family getting to know each other to ‘Lovely Day’ and Bruce getting the job with Bob and the whole gang laughing and joking around while they’re savoring the summer on the beach in Maine for vacation.   We see photos of the vacation, and a huge lobster they caught and released into the ocean.   There’s a photo of Bruce back at work, Jeannie and Donnie’s marriage.   Credits roll beginning with ‘Looking In A Mirror’, ‘Dancing With My Father’, ‘My Father’s Eyes’ and some lighthearted, upbeat instrumental music.   Dedicated to my family, whether at work, home, abroad, in church or at restaurants, in my past life or currently.    I love you all.   Thank you for believing in me.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers