Vivacia Lepidoptra

Synopsis:  Hailing from the planet Adon, Viv travels to Earth to observe it and falls for a scientist named Mel.   

~*~CAST~*~

Vivacia Lepidoptera:  
Amica Lepidoptera: (her mother)
Gregorio Lepidoptera: (her father)  
Doctor Melvin ‘Mel’ Oz:  
Farah Oz: (his mother)
Ahmet Oz: (his father)  
Kahlil Oz: (his elder brother, UFOlogist)
Dr. Mohinder Patel: (another one of Mel’s best friends)
Dr. Neil Ozark: (Mel’s best friend)  
Ostara Morpho: (their mother)
Zephyr Morpho: (their dad)
Hyacinth ‘Synth’ Morpho: (Viv’s best friend)
Acrisius ‘Sius’ Morpho: (Viv’s second best friend)


Scene 1--The Planet Adon

(From the very beginning we can tell the Adonites are a pacifist alien species.   They live in harmony with nature and are a learned, advanced and adventurous people.   Vivacia is the first Adonite that wishes to do something no Adonite has ever attempted before.)  

Viv:  (reading up on holobook concerning Earth) Mom, dad, I wonder.  

Amica:  What’s that Vivacia ?

Gregorio:  What’s got your mind a twirling ?  

Viv:  Why is it none of us Adonites has ever gone beyond the Kelmir Quadrant ?  There’s so much more out there.  We are in the Andromeda Galaxy and I know there are others we can learn from.  

Gregorio:  Yes, Viv, darling, but you are needed here.   After all, you will succeed your mother for the throne one day.   

Viv:  I know, Papa.  (touches her head and third eye simultaneously)  It is the crown I bear and I do it proudly and lovingly.   

Amica:  (they both hug her from the side)  You do us well, daughter.  You make your planet beam with pride.   

Gregorio:  Still.   Why would you ever wish to venture beyond familiar shores ?

Viv:  You know why.  We know so much about other planets but we have never traveled to them.  

Amica:  They could be hostile.   

Viv:  I have studied self-defense.  I have taught others, too.  There are ways of negotiating that involve strategy over violence.   

Gregorio:  That’s thinking outside the box  !  

Amica:  We know whatever we say will just make you want to go more.   We can’t hold you back.  You’re old enough to do what you wish.   (presses her head against Viv’s in a very intimate, loving way)  Just be cautious, please !

Viv:  (narrating)  Of course I would be.  I knew how to fly in a skipper.  It was no big deal.   All of us did it if we were orbiting our homeworld.  I said goodbye to mom, dad, my best friends and packed only the necessities.   I bade my beloved telia plant goodbye.  It pouted and gave me a huge kiss, not wanting me to leave.   I almost expected little Fifi to burst out into dramatic wails, but it didn’t.   

Amica:  Bon voyage, dear.   Be careful !  

Gregorio:  No matter what happens, remember, we support you.    

Viv:  (narrating)  With their blessings incurred upon me and all the tech I could muster into a cosmic bag, I made my journey to a very quaint planet called Earth.  

(As she descends an instrumental version of ‘Space Oddity’ plays in the background, followed by ‘Rocket Man’, as heard on Mel’s Ipod.)

SCene 2--Meeting the Natives

Viv:  (landing somewhere inconspicuous, but nearby where she can find her skipper.  She activates her holographic camouflage programming)  And with the push of a button, I’ll look like any normal terran here.  None will be the wiser.  

(walking out of the forest, she takes everything in, completely inspired, mesmerised.   Walking along, transfixed, she bumps into Mel and an instrumental of ‘How Deep Is Your Love’ plays in the background.)

Mel: I’m so terribly sorry.  I was lost in the music for a moment.  I wasn’t paying attention.   (sigh)  I know I can be a real dingus at times.   Sorry.  

Viv:  No.   It was my fault, Sir.  

Mel:  No one was harmed.   I haven’t seen you around here before.  You’re not from these parts are you ?

Viv:  (laughing merrily)  What gave me away, was I that obvious ?

Mel:  I know a tourist when I see one.  Oh, my name’s Mel Oz by the way.   I’m a doctor of astrophysics, biology and anthropology.   The field’s bustling with so much information these days, it’s hard to keep up !  

Viv:  Fascinating.  (dreamily sighs)  I’m Vivacia.  Viv for short.

Mel:  That’s a rather unusual and lovely name.   Allow me to be your tour guide then.   I’ll introduce you to my friends and the sensational campus.   Feel free to soak it all in.   

Viv:  (narrating)  Having only just met this terran, I couldn’t keep my eyes off him.  I felt an unfamiliar twinge but warmth encompassed my frame.   My holocamo device was wearing off and I got a little nervous.   Just then, I was saved by three other odd terrans who were Mel’s friends.  

(Khalil, Moe and Neil are singing ‘Here I Go Again’)  

Neil:  Mel !   

Khalil:  Hey, bro !    

Moe:  Who’s the new girl ?   

Viv:  I’m Viv.  All of you harmonize so nicely.   Funnily enough, where I come from singing is a form of proposal.   So what are you gentlemen trying to say ?  (blushing deeply)  

Khalil:  I never heard of such an unusual practice !   

(They all laugh, heartily.)

Moe:  This girl’s funny, Mel.  I think she’s a keeper.   Oh, I’m Dr. Mohinder Patel.  I work with Melvin in the lab.   

Khalil:  I’m Kahlil, or ‘Ka’ for short.  Mel’s ‘little’ bro.   

Neil:  Dr. Neil Ozark.  All three of us are lab partners.   Pleasure’s ours, Miss…

Viv:  Viv.  I’m honored, really.  I have to go though.  I need to be getting home.   
(narrating)  It was the quickest, easiest, incidental thing to say at the time.  Besides, they bought it !    

(hurries back to her skipper and the holocamo wears off.)  

Viv: (hails her parents, catching her breath, straightens her antennae and hair, which is a little unkempt)   

Amica:  Princess !   How goes the exploration ?  

Viv:  All is well mother.  However (starts to blush hotly, and looks down).  I have melliandra.   

Gregorio:  The consumption fever ?   Well, it is that time back home.  

Viv:  It couldn’t have come at a worse time.   Granted, the desire to copulate will not overtake me but, I can’t help the way I feel about Mel.  

Amica:  Melliandra is a potent thing, yes.   

Gregorio:   Just stick to eating sweets.  That should quell the fires in your loins.  

Viv:  I knew I could count on your eons of wisdom.    

Amica:  That’s what we’re here for.   Charging up the holocamo ?

Viv:  Yes.  I don’t know why it powered down so soon.  I had to make a run for it before I was discovered.   

Sius:  Viv !  

Viv:  Acrisius !  Hyacinth !   What are you doing barging in on my parents’ communique ?

Hyacinth:   We heard your voice.  

Sius:  (bashfully)  Plus we were just being inquisitive.   I hope you don’t mind the intrusion.   

Viv:  Not at all.  Terrans are rather intriguing.  They’re not all dolts or hopeless.   They have many redeeming qualities.   I quite like Mel and I am hoping to see him again.  Something tells me that I can reveal my true nature to him and he’d still like me.   

Hyacinth:  Sounds like the love bug bit ya, lovely.  

Sius:  Go for it !   I’m sure he will reciprocate.   

Amica:   Love is a beautiful thing and we wish you well no matter what comes to pass.   

Viv:  (yawning)  Time for me to cocoon for the night.  (wraps herself up in her wings after stretching them and settles down to her recuperating chamber)  Goodnight, everyone.   May Adon be with you.  

Amica/Greg/Sius/Hyacinth:  And also with you.

(Scene Fade)  

Scene 3--Nose to Nose and Toe to Toe with the Locals

Viv:  (narrating)  Day 2.   Learning more of the ways of the Terrans.   They don’t have flying cars as I hoped they would.   Perhaps some day.   Their methodology of energy usage is somewhat primitive but they are beginning to learn.   I see them making leaps and bounds in the future concerning space travel.  Perhaps they will venture to Andromeda and into the Kelmir Quadrant ?   Adon only knows.   

Mel:  Hello, Ms. Viv.   You’re looking rather lovely today.   

Viv:  Thanks !   You and your friends seem rather ebullient.  Any reason ?  

Khalil:  Well, for starters, it’s the weekend !    We’re heading out to a club later on tonight.  

Neil:  Orange is the hippest, most happening club in the tri-state area.   Khalil’s the smooth dog that got us VIP access.    

Khalil:  (suavely)  You’re welcome.   

Mohinder:  You should wear something befitting the occasion.  We all will be.

Viv:  How much time do I have to get ready ?   

Neil:  It’s a couple hours from now.  

Mel: I’ll pick you up if you don’t have a ride.   

Viv:  I know where I can meet you.  (whispers in his ear)

Mel:  It’s a date then.   

(Viv walks away, happily whistling a merry tune.)  

Mohinder:  You know, it’s weird.  There’s something very ethereal about her.  

Ka:  I was about to say the same thing, but I thought maybe it’s because we’re all a little taken with her.   Seems she’s got her eyes set on you.  (pats Mel’s back heartily)  Lucky dog.   

(Later that evening, Viv has set her holocam to ‘little fushia dress’ mode and she is a knockout.)  

Mel:  (with a bouquet, he nearly has his eyes bug out of his head. ‘When Love Comes Down’ plays in the background)  Would you do me the honor of accompanying me to the club ?

Viv:  Certainly.   Ah, is this your vehicle ?   

Mel:  Yes.   Enough about me, I want to know more about you.   

Viv:  (narrating)  I realized that I had to come up with some white lies quick or he’d start to pick up on the fact that I wasn’t from Earth, but my holocam was about to do that for me.   

(They start dancing to ‘Take a Minute’ followed by ‘You Are So Beautiful’ and then, ‘Just Dance’ followed by the EDM classic ‘Animals’.)  

Mel:  How do you like it ?  

Viv:  It’s a little noisy but the atmosphere is electric.  

Mel:  (sees her visage shift, and does a double take)  

Viv: Come with me.  

Mel:  Well, this is moving a little fast…

Viv:  Do you trust me ?

Mel:  I’ve only known you for two days but I sense I can.  

Viv:  Good.   Come with me.  (She takes him to the park where no one else is around.  The holocamo fails.)  

Mel: (is shocked)  You’re...An extra-terrestrial.   

Viv:  (holding his hand)  Yes.  I know it might be a bit soon, but you know from before, we really do sing as a form of proposal.  (she clears her throat, puts her hands on her heart and sings for him.  Mel is impressed.)  

Mel:  Though a bit sudden, I will say ‘yes’.  

Viv:  (elated, she squeals happily, smiling massively)

Mel:  There is a condition though.  On earth, we do a things a bit differently.

Viv:  Oh, I totally understand.  I’m willing to learn from you and your friends.  

Mel:  You wouldn’t mind Khalil interviewing you ?  Man, when he gets a look of the likes of the real you, he’s gonna go supernova.  

Viv:  Of course I’ll allow that.   I think Terrans are ready to accept the Truth.  
(narrating)   What ensued next was a series of sit down ‘chronicles’ that Ka conducted.  He asked of Adon, it’s people, it’s practices, tech, and so on.   Even though some of our ways were different, we really weren’t that separate, one from the other.  Over time, Mel and I became closer.  Though only Ka, Mel, Neil and Mo knew my true form, no one else on earth did.   My time on the planet was drawing to a close but I didn’t want to leave without asking Mel how he truly felt about me.   

(scene fade)  

Scene 4--A Life Changing Decision

Mel:  (walking side by side with Viv, holding her hand)  Wasn’t that lecture one of the best you ever heard ?

Viv: (Laughing)  It was your lecture, Mel.  

Mo:  Maybe this is my bias talking but your lecture was ingenious.  

Mel:  Thanks.

Ka:  I wish it had been one hour longer.  

Neil:  Where are you taking us, Viv ?

Viv:  To the skipper.

Ka:  Ah, your craft !   I will have to sketch it for posterity.  That is, if you don’t mind.   No one is going to believe me !  

Viv:  Well, the government might.  Just be careful to whom you show your evidence and records.   

Ka:  I’ll keep it on the sly, butterfly.  

Mo:  Why do I feel that this is the last time we’re seeing you ?  

Mel:  It really isn’t.   I’ll be broadcasting my wedding to you and everyone in the family. It’ll be on a closed circuit, so only you will see.   The rest of Adon will be initiating me into their family.  It’s a massive planet.   Guys, my knees are knocking !  

Viv:  (holds his hand tenderly)  You know I am going to be by your side through all of this.  By proxy, you’ll be royalty someday.  

Mel:  (not reassured) I’m happy you have that much confidence in me, but I don’t know one thing about how to rule an entire planet.  

Viv:  (pecks him on the cheek, unabashedly, making him and the other guys blush)  Don’t worry. I’ll be by your side the whole time.  We’ll rule together.  

Neil: (Getting emotional, wipes a tear from his eye)  Go on then, you crazy kids.   We’ll soldier on in your name expanding the field of quantum physics.   

Ka:  Where once we were the Fantastic Four, now we’re the Tremendous Trio.  

Mel:  (draws them all together, as if he is giving them his blessing) Do the field proud like I know you will.   

Viv:  (in a flash, we see everything happening so quickly.   Our hero and heroine are married and Mel is gradually taking in the idea that this planet is his to guide with his wife’s help.   His new parents are very enthusiastic and love him unconditionally.  Parents back home are marvelling at Mel’s new kingdom)   Matters became to happen in a flash for us as newlyweds.   One moment we were being married before the Adonian masses and the next, we were savoring a short-lived honeymoon.   I realized that as the crown princess we had to take responsibility of relations with Adon and other planets.   We were part of a Universal Coalition and we kept the peace in the Cosmos.   It was a tall order, but we were prepared for it.    Time passed quickly for us, as it usually does, illusionary or not.    Then, came Christmas….

(scene shift)

Scene 5--Intergalactic Christmas

(Viv lands on Earth with Mel, laden with child, but she is taking it well.   She wears her holocam until she enters Mel’s house.   They have seen her true form before but not in person.)  

Ahmet:  (childlike awe)  I thought my eyes were deceiving me before, but sure enough, you are insectoid.   

Mel:  DAD !  Seriously !   

Farah:  Pay Mr. Oz no heed.   Sometimes he lacks tact.  

Viv: (hugging him with all four arms, lifting him up and down as if he were a paperweight)   What he lacks in tact he amply makes up for with his endearment !  
Merry Christmas !   Did I say that right ?   

Ka:  Sure did.   Man, time flies, doesn’t it bro ?  

Mel:  I have to congratulate you and the team.  When I heard the exemplary news about the Nobel you won, I broke out the bubbly I had in stasis and we threw a party.   

Viv:  Oh, it was a hoot.  I know the pictures don’t do it justice but champagne really affects us.   Suis was off the rafters singing ‘Karma Chameleon’ at the top of her lungs !   

Mel:  Their drunkenness is very short-lived though.   Soon as he came from the toilet, he was fine.   

Mo:  (coming forward) May I ?

Neil: Only if I can touch her belly next !  

Viv:  (Laughing)  Of course, you’re all family.   You three are going to be godparents someday.  

Ka: (tearing up)  Really ?  Will we get to see Adon ?  

Viv:  Certainly.  Make our planet your first stop as soon as warp speed’s developed.  It’ll take you a while but granted, Adon will welcome you with open arms.   

Ahmet:  What’s it like, Adon ?

Mel:  It’s more beautiful than I can even describe.  I brought photos though.  They’re holographic…

Ahmet:  (in Turkish)  Wow, incredible.  

Farah:  (Turkish)  Holy Hummus, that’s awesome.  

Neil:  Do you know what you’re having ?

Mel:   We keep it a surprise, but with Viv being psychic and having such a deep connection with our unborn child, we know it’s a girl.

Viv: (becoming extremely happy and eager)  We plan on naming her Allegra.   

Farah:  It’s a perfect name for the little princess to be.   

Ahmet:  We can’t wait to meet her.   

Viv:  Oh, speaking of which.  It’s Christmas, right ?  

(They all nod)  

(In the background ‘So This is Christmas’ plays in the background followed by ‘Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time’ as well as ‘Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree’ and other old time favorites.)   

Viv:  I have presents !   

(A salsa version of ‘Rudolph’ plays as everyone enjoys opening presents and indulging in a healthy breakfast.   Everyone plays video games together on the Switch and then a tearful goodbye ensues.)  

Mel:  I don’t want to leave you but I have duties back on Adon.  

Farah: (hugging him and kissing him tenderly)  I know son, but you’re making me so proud.  

Ahmet:  You really make the Oz clan beam !   

Mel:  Glad I can do so, but I am hopeful some day, everything I discover will help us all grow to be interplanetary.   The time will come when we have to really think outside the terran sandbox.    

Viv:  (Kissing him under the mistletoe)  Christmas tradition.  I hate to say farewell, but we must be going.  

(‘Just Make One Person Happy’ plays as they say their goodbyes.)

Viv: (narrating)  Of course, it is never farewell.  With new beginnings there are always new chapters being written and the pages are blank for us to fill in any way we see fit.   I can’t possibly tell what the future will bring or how excited I am to see little Allegra come into this vast, marvelous Cosmos we undertake.  We are just expressions of it, living our lives to the hilt.   

(Snow falls on Adon and the Pink Martini version of White Christmas plays as we see our hero and heroine kiss under the mistletoe on their homeworld.  A pan view of the planet’s people, city, environs are shown until we see the actual planet itself floating in space perfectly like the little ballerina it is.   Bloopers, gaffes and thank yous are portrayed.   I am even a cameo in the final scene as an Adonian in the marketplace, buying spices for something or other.)  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers