Fusion

Synopsis:  A musical about a young man, Elliot, who grows up in a rough neighborhood.   He’s teased because he’s white and loves rap, R&B, soul, funk, fusion, Latin pop, bebop, Motown and jazz.   While attending tech school to learn how to become a better auto mechanic, he meets a girl who wants to start a bakery.    Her name is Chloe, and she’s Asian.   Contrary to popular belief she adores pop, rock, heavy metal, disco, electronica, and symphonic rock.   She plays a wicked bass and sings like an angel.  



~*~CAST~*~


Elliot Jordan: (aka DJ Lil’ Beat, DJ Coolio) 

Kyle Jordan: (younger brother)

Max Jordan: (dad) 

Lavender Jordan: (mom) 

Monster: (their massive Newfoundland) 

Chloe Long: (Elliot’s love interest) 

Julie Long: (mom) 

David Long: (dad) 

Xijian Long: (grandma) 

Sulia Long: (eldest sister) 

Everette Long: (second born brother) 

Marie ‘Snowpea’ Long: (baby sister) 

Omar: (a street bully) 

Tim: (aka Bully #2) 

Principal Salazar: (head of the Tech School) 

Guidance Counselor Dr. Beatrice Gene: (aka BeaGee) 

The Ghosts of Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, Freddie Mercury, Tupac, Biggie Smalls, Buddy Holly, Mama Cass, Louis Armstrong, and Ella Fitzgerald among others 

Drew: (a geeky kid who gets bullied by Omar & Tim)




Scene 1—Just Another Day at Tech School 


Elliot:  (his alarm goes off and he wakes up ready for a new day at Titan Tech, all the while getting ready, getting his lunch, and setting off in his hot antique car to go to school.   While he does so, he sings ‘Hip Hop Harmony’)  


Jimi:  (lingering in the background)  Look at him go, our little Elliot all grown up.


Tupac:  Yeah, he sure is going places.   Not a bad rapper, either.   


Biggie:  He integrated everything from our albums.   So proud of our boy !  


Freddie:  Wish we had the energy to actually help him at Titan Tech though…We’re so limited being confined here.   


John:  (groans)  Some of us are limited.   You haven’t been, Buddy hasn’t been and neither have I.   I wish those damned Ouiji board users would just let me, well, rest.   I like being calm, laid back and, auuugh…. Bollocks !


Mama:  Looks like another medium is pulling John away again.  


Freddie:  (gets pulled away himself)  MAMA !  


(The other ghosts laugh at the joke and we’re left seeing them play some board games while we transition to TTU.)  


Omar:  Oh my God, look at this, Dip !   Can you believe it ?  


Tim:  (meekly)  Actually, it’s Tim.  


Omar:  (a bit angrily)  I call you what I want to, get it, Dip ?! 


Tim:  (stammers)  Y-yeah, Omar…Sure thing, commander.   


Andrew:  Come on, let me pass. 


Omar:  Wearing that ?   Where do you shop ?  Wal-Mart ?  Russ ? 


Tim:   Russ is actually a bomb store.  


Omar:  (smacks him)  Don’t agree with this dweeb.   Guy looks like the love child of Chris Chan and Calliou !   (he laughs) 


Tim:  (guffaws)  Yeah, he’s actually right !   Loser !   And your kicks !   Where’d ya get those gems, the dumpster ?


Elliot:   You two must be so proud, picking on someone who’s IQ outnumbers yours.   Come on, Drew.   Don’t let these morons get to you.   


(He helps Andrew walk by the bullies who are too stunned to speak.)  


Omar:  Don’t think we won’t forget you, Lil Retard.


Elliot:  (with gusto)  It’s Rhythm.   Something neither of you will ever begin to understand. 


Andrew:  Dang, bro.   That’s cold blooded.  


Elliot:  But true.    


Chloe:  (sees Andrew turning in to his own class but sees that she and Elliot are in a Home Economic class together)  That was brave of you.   Those two are always causing trouble ever since Andrew came here.   


Elliot:  (in his mind)  My God she is a vision.  (clears throat)  He seemed like a pretty fly dude.   I don’t like seeing other people get picked on.   He needs to learn to stand up for himself.  I think I’ll teach him some self defense.   Can’t hurt, right ? 


Chloe:  (chuckles)  Hopefully he’ll never have to use it.  


Elliot:   Omar causes trouble around my neighborhood.  He’s a street punk.   That other moron who hangs out with him is simply his moral support.    


Chloe:  You’re Elliot right ?   I’m Chloe.   Looks like we’re taking the same class together. 


Elliot:  I’m taking it for credit.   I already know how to sew and cook, despite my ghetto appearance.   


Chloe:  I’m wanting to run my own bakery someday.   (looking inspired)  I do realize running any business, especially one in food services is rough, but I know a lot of people who will support me.  


(As he discovers that they are getting paired up as home economics partners, they sing ‘You Look Fine’ and have a bit of a dream sequence.    He comes back to his apartment and is called immediately by his family.) 


Scene 2—How’s Trade School ? 


Kyle:  Hey, Lil Beat ! 


Elliot:  Lil bro !   Wassup !  


Kyle:  Man, I miss you.   It’s not the same playin’ Assassins Creed by myself without your backup.  


Elliot:   I know.  How are mom and dad ? Oh, and Monster ? 


Kyle: Monster misses you.   Sometimes he howls at the window thinking he’ll see the slick Cadillac drive up and park in the driveway.   Mom and dad, well, they’re doing faboo.  They miss ya, can’t wait ‘til Christmas.  


Elliot:  (sigh)  Yeah, but you guys like call me every night.  (he laughs)  


Kyle:  You seem to be glowin, though.    (in the meme style)  Bro, who got you smilin’ like that ? 


Elliot:  I never thought I’d experience the day I’d find my own brother quoting TikTok memes. 

(they laugh)  So, there’s this really drop dead gorgeous gal…


Kyle:  Oooh, sly dog’s got his game goin’ on, I know it !  


Elliot:  Ya know !   Anyways, her name is Chloe.   (smitten)  She is simply incredible.   We have home economics together.   


Kyle:   Hope we get to meet her soon. 


Elliot:   Oh you will.   (winks playfully and yawns)  Well, I’d better sign off for the night.   Talk to you again tomorrow evening.   Maybe mom and dad can join in and we can enjoy a virtual supper together.  


Kyle:   They’d love that !   Tomorrow then. 


Elliot:  (yawns)   


(The ghosts sing ‘Better Tell Her’ as he sleeps and he grins.)  


Elliot:  (smiles blissfully)  I will, thanks guys.  Your wisdom is appreciated.   


Ella:  See !  I told you, he appreciates us !   


Louis:   (wipes tear from his eye)  It’s good to be loved by a younger audience again !   


Ella:  Aw, don’t be getting all sentimental, Louis !  


(The ghosts laugh as the scene fades) 



Scene 3—The Bullies Get Schooled 


(A fight breaks out between the bullies and Drew.   Elliot has been teaching him self defense and Salazar gets word of it.   It was the bullies’ plan to put Elliot in a bad light but their ‘besmirching campaign backfires with the song ‘Troublemaker, But I’m Not’)  


Chloe:  (grins)  It’s incredible to see how Drew’s changed since you’ve befriended him.   


Elliot:  I think we can do anything together.   I mean, did you see what happened with Omar and Tim ?   Those two are going to get suspended.   This isn’t the first time they’ve tried dragging someone’s name through the mud to cover up their intimidation scheme !  


Chloe:  Salazar’s definitely going to expel them for good this time…


(They sing ‘We Can Face Anything’)   


Chloe:  (Takes his hand lovingly into her’s)  We’re a team.   You and I.   


Elliot:  You couldn’t have made me any happier !   (He gets bold and kisses her, to which the chorus of students cheer and applaud)   


(scene shift)   


Scene 4—Meeting Chloe’s Crazy Family 


Chloe:   I know it’s nearly graduation day and we’re already sweating about the ‘real world’ beyond Titan Tech… 


Elliot:  (nodding)   True, but we’ve come through so much together.  My folks and younger brother already adore you.   They think you’re amazing !   


Chloe:  Your family is cool and laid back.  Mine…well (winces) they’re kind of your typical dragon family… 


Elliot:  Oh come on !  They can’t be that terrible !   


(at the Long’s house during dinner)   


Snowpea:   He’s dressed like a gangster !    


Sulia:   But he brought something, let’s not be too harsh.  


Xijian:  I think he is a handsome young man, and young Sulia is right.   He went out of his way to make honey chicken, spring rolls and crab Rangoon.  


Elliot: (hand behind head) It was really easy.  I hope you enjoy it !  Besides, I wanted to ask you if I can have your daughter’s hand. 


Chloe:  (squeals with glee)  I knew it !   


Everett:  I like his fashion sense.   


David:  We might not all see things alike, but if he makes Chloe happy, then let her decide.  


Chloe:  Yes.    You know my answer is unequivocable !   


Lavender:  Then, this is a celebration !   Welcome to our nutty family, Elliot !   


Elliot:  (beams)  


(They sing ‘Goin to the Chapel Remix’ and we see them going through the preparation of marriage and finally getting married to sharing their first kiss as a married couple.   Shift to present day and the entire family is together.  There’s a placard that reads ‘One Year Later’.)  



Scene 5—Happiest Ever After 


Elliot:   (narrating)   I still rap on the side and mix my own music.   My side hustle on YouTube has gotten a massive following.   It doesn’t make me nearly as much as my true passion of auto mechanic work does, but I am most content making a machine purr again !   As for Chloe, she has her bakery, named Long’s Sweet Treats.   It’s actually gained a very loyal customer base.  You should try the orange dream crepes.  (Chef’s kiss)    


Bob Marley:  I guess this is our farewell, Elliot:   


Mama:   We came as soon as Chloe left for work.   


Prince:   She can’t see or hear us anyway and it would look way weird… 


Elliot:  I know.   Besides, I’m moving to a new house with Chloe.  We’re starting a new life.  You have all (does his best Justin Scarred impersonation) done your duty.   You can go home and schleep well.    


Kurt:   Man, this sucks.  I’d liked hangin’ with you.   You were COOL.  


Elliot:  High praise.  Thanks  !  


Frank:  We’d embrace ya, but ya know, bein’ non corporeal and all that… 


George:  You’re dragging this out.   We’re being called home.  


(They sing ‘This Isn’t Goodbye’ before they say farewell.)   


(We see the old home fade into the background  while a new house appears with the ‘SOLD’ sign and moving vans parked in its driveway.) 


Elliot:  (to himself)  This is it.   This is where my new life begins.   From there, sky’s the limit !   


(The cast comes out to take their bows.  The ‘Chorus’ itself isn’t listed because they are more background characters that aren’t officially named but they are classmates that walk in the hallways of TTU.   They’re background dancers for the choreographed scenes and are supporting elements moving plot.   They also show up for the wedding scene in ‘Chapel’ as well as both the Long and Jordan families unite during the big showstopping wedding scene.)  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers