My Journey to Iowa and Back

 I just experienced one of the best vacations I have ever had in dog's years.   I had always wanted to travel to Iowa, but mainly it was because of Riverside and Dyersville.   If you know me, the first destination shouldn't be a surprise because I have always been a Trekkie at heart and seeing the birthplace (fictional or no) of one James Tyberius Kirk is beyond extraordinary.   The second place is where Field of Dreams was filmed.  I have already seen where Bull Durham was filmed and I will never forget how incredible it was.  I can still taste and smell tobacco whenever I think of it.  I wouldn't mind going back because it was absolutely beautiful, despite the acrid taste.    Anyways, my roommate and I had decided to finally travel to Britt, Iowa because a beloved friend of ours, Hobo Shoestring (aka Mark Nichols) had sadly, died.   It's true that the traveler life is perilous, full of pitfalls and dangers, but some trainhoppers continue /to catch out despite that.    We met so many incredible fascinating hobos and I felt an instant kinship with them because I have always loved the open road and the freedom it brings.   Hoppers, however, have a rare view of America's gorgeous countryside.   It is absolute liberty !    We saw the Surf Ballroom and Buddy Holly's crash site.   We could've gone to John Wayne's museum.  I may have to do that next time, since I'm a big fan of The Duke.    I did get to cross off Iowa 80 truck stop.   It exceeded my expectations.  It had 3 whole stories and everything you can imagine.   Knickknacks, a penny press, an arcade room, barber, dentist, chiropractor and even a trucking museum.  Oh, yeah. Iowa 80 is the bomb diggity.    I even got to meet George (aka Jumping Off the Cliff).  He is as approachable in person as he is in his videos.   He's very funny, easy to talk to and totally incredible.   I feel like I made another new friend, one who likes trains just as much as I do.    Although he takes that to a whole new level in riding the rails even at his age !   

I hope that if any hobos are going next year, I can go, but this time I want to go to Riverside and Dyersville even though both are 3 hours away from Britt and in opposite directions.   Also seeing Buffalo Bill's birthplace and John Wayne's museum would be awesome, too.    Someday, maybe I'll go out west.   For now, I am working on Morningstar, a comic that a friend of mine comissioned me to do.  I don't know what he will think of my artstyle since it isn't 'adult' and more anime related.  I'm making it violent and writing more into my friend's story.   It's totally different from Vivzipop's Helluvaboss and Hazbin.  I'm really happy to help though and go outside my comfort zone.    Also, I got word that I will be getting paid more for helping my friend from California out with his children's book.   Illustration still has to be done, but we'll be getting some royalties from it, which is always nice.  I don't know all the details but once I do, ya'll will be the first to know.  Until next time, ciao, tutti !  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Pajama Party at the House of Mouse