Like Sands Through the Hourglass

 

 

‘If I could save time in a bottle, the first thing that I’d like to do is to spend every day ‘til eternity passes away just to spend them with you.’—Time In a Bottle, sung by Jim Croce

 

Chapter 1—Amalgamation

                Ever since I was created, I knew I was different from other trolls in Alternia.   Firstly, I was a metallic blue blood Scorpio, which meant I was unique even in my own hemospectrum.   We never looked down on others due to blood or felt like we were beholden to the high bloods.   We were the intermediaries, the envoys, the ambassadors of Alternia, but also, we could toy, manipulate, scheme and influence thanks to our psychic abilities.    The siren aspect could be extremely useful, and I was given that as soon as I was hatched from my chrysalis.    Even as a young grub, I knew I was special.   I carried the aspect of Time.   Unlike others, I was immortal.   Yet, I found myself as a bit capricious, knowing I was Death itself and no age, wound or malady could even touch me.   I was made that way.    I didn’t have parents, but I did have family.    Being a thief meant I could assist others akin to me or anyone I deemed who asked.   I didn’t judge.   More often than not, though, I stole time through procrastination or giving others that gift.   The hesitated (given my surname, Hestat, it makes perfect sense), vacillated, wembled.    These are all due to my Siren song, my magnetic, soulful gaze.    I keep these hidden beneath shades unless absolutely necessary.   Also, if I am contracted, Dilator Hestat (that’s Yours Truly speaking) comes at a price, but my price is feasible and negotiable. 

 

Chapter 2—Scorpio Woes

                It may sound like I am playing the victim card when I write about how ‘misunderstood’ we are among the zodiac, but each new generation has its own ‘lone wolf’ or ‘survivor’ or ‘suffering savior’.    Call it what you might.   I’m a clown who cries when no one else is looking.    I don’t weep all the time, but immortality does come with some rather uncomfortable setbacks.    I simply move things along and take souls to the Otherworld when they have expired.     I get most of my pleasure simply giving trolls, leprechauns, ouroboros’s, or whatever I desire the will to do nothing.    A lot of them will say I’ve done them a favor, particularly if they are heavily laden with work.   Procrastination is my life, it’s what I do best.   

                It’s challenging being me.   Especially when it’s time to ‘Meet the Reaper’.    I don’t mind reaping souls.   I keep the outgo and income at a steady flow.   I’m part of the design, the circle we call ‘life’.    Yet, I am feared and reviled.   I’m not really all that bad.   I do get a few departed who talk to me when they are ascending, descending or going diagonally into purgatory.    Those ones are my favorites because they make me feel less alone.   I do wish I had an acolyte though.   Someone to take upon the scythe so I can go to Paradise with others who died in the last conflict I witnessed with Lord English and humanity.    Humanity managed to win, but fortunately, Time (that’s me) was on their side.

                Though I am misunderstood and given a wide berth, the whole zodiac loves me.   I found even Eridan tolerable although he tends to be racist.    I am doing my best to teach him that just like there is no gender for us, race and class shouldn’t matter either.    We all stood together, and I could see he had redeemable qualities.   I even set him up with Feferi and thanks to my intervention, the two are happily together.    From what she told me, he is becoming more aware of his biases and less of a ‘basshole’.   Took SWEEPS to accomplish, but good ALTERNIA, it was worth the agony.   

 

Chapter 3—What Now ?

                I have heard the question now as to if I can see the future.   To a certain extent, the answer is ‘yes’ and I only have a limited reach.   I do not control free will.   I set the intention of procrastination or stealing time.   It’s up to the recipient to do with that as they will.    I just give them the gun.    They can take the gun, leave the cannoli or leave the gun, take the cannoli.   Whichever they chose depends on their fate.   That’s not up to me.    I’m merely a plot device in an individual’s ‘structure’.    Far as anything else, I’m only here to traverse the cosmos, witness its beauty, share its wisdom and settle down to dream after a full sweep of hard, sweat-inducing work.    Currently though I find myself reading a ton of books, sketching characters I have developed as a sort of melodrama to entertain myself with when work is sparce and strumming on my guitar while whistling What a Day for  Daydream as time goes by.

 

Epilogue

                Things come and goes, fads become trendy and then fade into obscurity.   Music, however, stands the test of time and everyone can understand it.   Just like time, it affects everyone and no one is immune to its whim.    As I hold my glistening hourglass and stretch and yawn, the day has come to a close.    It’s time for me to sleep in my pod for the night before another day of influencing or reaping begins.    You may not know it, but that inclination to do nothing, well, that’s me.    You get those quite a bit in any given day, but there will come a time when I come to collect your soul and usher you wherever your soul goes.    That won’t be for a long time, so my only advice to you is to live like me, without fear or regrets.    Of course, I deal with fright everywhere I turn, but I am a friend.   This friendship comes with no boundaries or conditions, because friendship, the most basic form of love, is eternal.    Even if I am a cosmic knight, and a thief of time, I will always be a friend to those who have none or feel like no one understands you.    Believe me, I do, because I know what it is to be an outcast.    Even if I am an outcast, I am not alone.   The stars surround me and time abounds abundant.    It flows through me and IS me.   I find comfort in this simplicity.    This is who I am.   

 

From the logs of Dilator Hestat, Thief of Time

Siren of Influence

Knight of the Cosmos

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Slo Mo, Voiceless Leader

Wedding at the Playhouse

Rise of the Sleepers